Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Senior Bowl Buzz -- Colts Info / Rumors

Fisticuffs111

"The Indianapolis Colts hope to come out of the offseason with as many as three new linebackers and several cornerbacks. Word in Mobile is that the Colts would be willing to trade out of the third selection in order to accumulate extra draft picks."

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-thursday

Makes sense. We need LB's and our CB's are either young/inexperienced or not great.

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

It really just depends on what would be offered to us for that 3rd pick. I’d love to have Chubb or Barkley, but if the right offer presents itself, it would be hard to turn it down. 

I would love to get Chubb and still get extra picks by trading back to 5/6.  I think it can happen, but plenty of things will change between now and the draft, that's for sure.

26 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

"The Indianapolis Colts hope to come out of the offseason with as many as three new linebackers and several cornerbacks. Word in Mobile is that the Colts would be willing to trade out of the third selection in order to accumulate extra draft picks."

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-thursday

Makes sense. We need LB's and our CB's are either young/inexperienced or not great.

I hope they don't. I would rather get an elite quality player than several quantity players. The free agent market will allow the rebuilding to continue.

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Trading for Bobby Wagner would bring down our needs at LBer. I would be ok with it, and drafting Chubb. A dream would be trading pick and still getting Chubb. 

1 Why would Seattle want to trade Wagner?? Just asking and 2 ifffff the were inclined to do so what would the price be for an all pro LB?

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

I hope they don't. I would rather get an elite quality player than several quantity players. The free agent market will allow the rebuilding to continue.

You can still get an elite player at 5 or 6 overall. A small trade down would be very beneficial for Ballard and this scouting staff. 

Dream tradeback scenario is: 

Cle select Barkley

Giants select Rosen

A bidding war breaks out for 3 to trade up before Cleveland at 4 to select Sam Darnold between CLE/NYJ/DEN/wildcard MIA. 

Due to increase demand colts get an offer of 6+36 and 46 (Seattles 2nd) for 3. 

Jets take Darnold at 3, Browns take Allen at 4, Denver takes Mayfield. 

At this point we can take Chubb with two extra 2nds in our pocket, or if Chubb isn’t our guy we can trade back again to 8-11 range adding another early second and third and select one of the following: 

(if trade down again - lets say OAK jumps up for Minkah and offers 9/10 and a 2nd and 3rd.

Raiders take Minkah 

Buccs take Chubb

Bears take Ridley 

9ers take Derwin James 

We can take Nelson, Raqoun Smith or Tremaine Edmunds. 

We could literally walk out with 3 extra 2nds and a 3rd AND a tremendous OG if the board falls right.

So exciting to have so many options...

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

1 Why would Seattle want to trade Wagner?? Just asking and 2 ifffff the were inclined to do so what would the price be for an all pro LB?

There's a long thread on this.  But to answer your question - 1.  They don't have a ton of cap like we do.  They're going to have to trim a little.  IMHO, they'd be crazy to trade him.

2. Someone suggested a 3, but they'd get better from other teams.  Our 2 seems right to me for an All Pro LB.

Just now, Smonroe said:

There's a long thread on this.  But to answer your question - 1.  They don't have a ton of cap like we do.  They're going to have to trim a little.  IMHO, they'd be crazy to trade him.

2. Someone suggested a 3, but they'd get better from other teams.  Our 2 seems right to me for an All Pro LB.

Thanks IMO I highly doubt Seattle would trade the heart and sole of there defense. Even if they have to let some guys walk.

I agree if they were inclined to trade a 2 seems appropriate although not sure what Wagner makes. If it was really high maybe a 3.  

47 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Cle select Barkley

Giants select Rosen

A bidding war breaks out for 3 to trade up before Cleveland at 4 to select Sam Darnold between CLE/NYJ/DEN/wildcard MIA. 

At this point we can take Chubb with two extra 2nds in our pocket, or if Chubb isn’t our guy we can trade back again to 8-11 range adding another early second and third and select one of the following: 

(if trade down again - lets say OAK jumps up for Minkah and offers 9/10 and a 2nd and 3rd.

Raiders take Minkah 

Buccs take Chubb

Bears take Ridley 

9ers take Derwin James 

We could literally walk out with 3 extra 2nds and a 3rd AND a tremendous OG if the board falls right.

If a bidding war breaks out I'd hope for more than two 2nds.  I also think Barkley can be included with Rosen and Darnold as players who could create such a scenario. 

I mean at this point i think the colts are absolutely trading the third pick for the simple fact that i believe CB knows andrew is healthy but will have other gms think he’s not in the draft room making them believe we will take a QB third... therefor us acquiring more picks! I can definitely see a “Yeah we like Jacoby a lot but we’re all in on bringing in a guy like Sam Darnold to compete with him with the unlikely hood of luck coming back” teams would trade in a heartbeat for a good price with all these good young qbs in this draft

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Wagner has a pretty high cap hit, and Seattle is low on cap space and needs to sign others. So potentially open to trades. Find the trade for Bobby Wagner thread there's more info there. 

15 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I mean at this point i think the colts are absolutely trading the third pick for the simple fact that i believe CB knows andrew is healthy but will have other gms think he’s not in the draft room making them believe we will take a QB third... therefor us acquiring more picks! I can definitely see a “Yeah we like Jacoby a lot but we’re all in on bringing in a guy like Sam Darnold to compete with him with the unlikely hood of luck coming back” teams would trade in a heartbeat for a good price with all these good young qbs in this draft

I think the "information" on Luck which is supposedly due out after McD is announced as head coach will leave little doubt that Luck is looking good for 2018.

Don't forget that the front office still has to sell tickets.  Saying Luck is questionable for 2018 may be a good strategy for getting other GM's to wonder if we'll take a qb at 3, but terrible for putting fannies (read $$$) in the seats.

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Trading for Bobby Wagner would bring down our needs at LBer. I would be ok with it, and drafting Chubb. A dream would be trading pick and still getting Chubb. 

Wagner would be a pretty sweet acquisition for us. But, I also know that INDY traditionally builds thru the draft not free agency or trades. 

32 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Wagner has a pretty high cap hit, and Seattle is low on cap space and needs to sign others. So potentially open to trades. Find the trade for Bobby Wagner thread there's more info there. 

Cool thanks, saw the Wagner thread and thought it was probably a pie in the sky dream, maybe some merit to it.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Chubb is special, He could be an Elite pass rusher and those do not come around very often

I agree...   Chubb is special.

But if we only trade back 1-3 picks, we might still get Chubb and collect extra picks.    The best of both worlds!

That's what I'm hoping for.     

4 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

It really just depends on what would be offered to us for that 3rd pick. I’d love to have Chubb or Barkley, but if the right offer presents itself, it would be hard to turn it down. 

Trading back to 5 or 6 could still get us Chubb, so I'm all about that, not to mention that trading back in the 2nd & 3rd rounds could get a significant haul of picks as well.

I also think that if we are in fact looking for "several" CBs, it doesn't necessarily bode well for Desir or Melvin. It's a lot cheaper to draft talented rookies with promise than it is to sign proven veterans to a 2nd contract, especially at that position.

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

If a bidding war breaks out I'd hope for more than two 2nds.  I also think Barkley can be included with Rosen and Darnold as players who could create such a scenario. 

Honestly, for me, if Barkleys there at 3 it would be very hard to pass on him no matter how good the trade offer. 

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Im not sure that you undetstand the NE philosophy that could possibly translate into Indy with McD. They never go for the big name, sure fire, "elite" player that so many crave. They take good players and make them great. More good players means less holes and more potentially great players. Just my op.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Wagner would be a pretty sweet acquisition for us. But, I also know that INDY traditionally builds thru the draft not free agency or trades. 

I know Ballard is big on building through the draft, but he is also big on not reaching for need over BPA. So my thought process here is if you fill that need, we won't need to reach at pick 3 or wherever our pick winds up being for a top quality LBer (I have seen a few mocks having us take that). Then maybe we get Chubb or Barkley at 3. Remember BPA. Not need. 

In the Ballard Q and A, he mentions signing certain players so that they won't be put in the situation of reaching for someone in the draft and being able to have the freedom of going BPA. I really think Ballard would want to go after Wagner. He is young and hitting his prime. And would instantly upgrade this defense. Plus, with the way he seems to spend in FA we shouldn't have any problems paying the man (Wagner). 

27 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Im not sure that you undetstand the NE philosophy that could possibly translate into Indy with McD. They never go for the big name, sure fire, "elite" player that so many crave. They take good players and make them great. More good players means less holes and more potentially great players. Just my op.

Thats also because they are always picking in the 30's every year. If they had a top 5 pick they would not hesitate to take an elite player.

35 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Not trying to be a smart _ss, but they rarely draft third either. I hope you are right.

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Trading back to 5 or 6 could still get us Chubb, so I'm all about that, not to mention that trading back in the 2nd & 3rd rounds could get a significant haul of picks as well.

I also think that if we are in fact looking for "several" CBs, it doesn't necessarily bode well for Desir or Melvin. It's a lot cheaper to draft talented rookies with promise than it is to sign proven veterans to a 2nd contract, especially at that position.

I'm hopeful the reference to several corners can be addressed in FA.   Also, I can't see a reason that we wouldn't still be considering Melvin and/or Desir.   I'm hopeful Ballard is just posturing about dollars and years.

I don't want to try to be solving every problem in the draft.   With the money we have to spend, free agency should be our friend.

Trade back Washington Redskins 13th/3rd (2200-1150=1050)

Add 2nd Pick 45 (450 points)

Add 3rd Pick 77 (205 points)  

2019 2nd (450 points +/-)

2018 Draft (minus add comp picks)

13) ILB Roquan Smith - sideline range and coverage skills

35) RB Sony Michel - imo Saquan Barkley clone

45) ILB Darius Leonard - best senior bowl weigh-in sideline range and coverage potential

67)  Edge/DE Jalyn Holmes - Hybrid defender

77) WR Trey Quinn - size mismatch been overshadowed but kid can catch

99) CB Greg Stroman - PR+ top shutdown corner

131) 4-3 DE Justin Lawler (SMU) - 3 blocked kicks in college

163) CB Kameron Kelly - safety/corner

195) Edge Marquis Haynes - tweener (weak side) capable of sacks (5) and forcing fumbles (2) 10/16

8 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Cle select Barkley

Giants select Rosen

Raiders take Minkah 

Buccs take Chubb

Bears take Ridley 

9ers take Derwin James 

See i think Cleveland takes a QB @ 1, considering they already passed on Wentz and look like *s for it.

If I were Ballard i would try to convince Cleveland to give us one if those early 2nd round picks just to drop one spot so they can take the #1 QB & Barkley. THEN I would try to see if the Jets want Allen or Mayfield and try to get the same kind of deal. 

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

See i think Cleveland takes a QB @ 1, considering they already passed on Wentz and look like *s for it.

If I were Ballard i would try to convince Cleveland to give us one if those early 2nd round picks just to drop one spot so they can take the #1 QB & Barkley. THEN I would try to see if the Jets want Allen or Mayfield and try to get the same kind of deal. 

Just what makes you think the Giants are not interested in Barkley?  It's quite possible the Giants don't take a QB.

Idk, Eli is old and Darnold and Rosen are two really good prospects worthy of those picks.

I cant see teams passing up on either, for a RB, even one as good as he is.

I think by the time they work out and go thru interviews and all that, it will be a forgone conclusion that they go 1-2. Teams will be thinking more about their potential than their flaws.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Idk, Eli is old and Darnold and Rosen are two really good prospects worthy of those picks.

I cant see teams passing up on either, for a RB, even one as good as he is.

I think by the time they work out and go thru interviews and all that, it will be a forgone conclusion that they go 1-2. Teams will be thinking more about their potential than their flaws.

We have to wait until we find out where Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, and Kirk Cousins end up before we have any kind of idea about what will happen at one and two. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just what makes you think the Giants are not interested in Barkley?  It's quite possible the Giants don't take a QB.

I think they'd be more likely to pick Chubb over Barkley.  The Giants have historically opted for a strong DL over a star RB.  And I think JPP is on the potential cut list.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think they'd be more likely to pick Chubb over Barkley.  The Giants have historically opted for a strong DL over a star RB.  And I think JPP is on the potential cut list.

Could be but they had absolutely zero running game last season and have no RB on their roster who could even be a starter on any other teams roster. They will be getting back both their top two receivers and could use a RB no doubt.

17 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

It is! We could literally get any player we want, minus the first 2 picks. If we trade back a few spots then the options widen even more. Here’s how I see it:

1) We take a great impact player at #3 overall, probably B. Chubb. 

2) We trade back to 5-7 and still have a chance at Chubb, but if he’s not possibly take Nelson and have another 2nd and 3rd (not sure about how the value of the trade is. 

3) Trade back to 8-13 and get next year 1st and 2nd and 4th this year. Take Roquon Smith or a top offensive lineman. 

Overall trading back seems to give us a better chance to take Oline and better value at the spot too.

Keeping the pick would give us an impact player, but not address the oline problem the way they need to. 

I wouldn't be upset if we traded back to 10-12 and selected Vita Vea. A 340lb. anchor for the D-line for the next decade.

Say he is a more athletic version of Haloti Ngata. Ray Lewis always claimed that he was what made their Defense special by keeping the linebacking corps clean. Pass rush for the inside would only help the pass rush on the outside.