Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Senior Bowl Buzz -- Colts Info / Rumors

Fisticuffs111

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

This is going to be interesting to see how the new GM sees the Colts needs. There are a few real goo defense edge players that are free agents now so I want to see if Ballard is a wheeler-dealer shark or just another stand-in-line recruiter.

There is?  Please list these real good edge free agents. I am curious.

16 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

We have to wait until we find out where Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, and Kirk Cousins end up before we have any kind of idea about what will happen at one and two. 

I don't think the Giants will be in play for any FA quarterbacks.  And only cousins would alter the draft approach of the Browns.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't think the Giants will be in play for any FA quarterbacks.  And only cousins would alter the draft approach of the Browns.

I agree about the Giants. They have already said they were rolling with Eli for a couple of years. That is why I think the Giants will be looking at Barkley real close.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree about the Giants. They have already said they were rolling with Eli for a couple of years. That is why I think the Giants will be looking at Barkley real close.

I'm not buying that yet. If you plan to draft a QB --- one that you hope will lead your team --- you have typically needed to pick one in the top 5 - 10 picks. Eli himself was a number one overall pick. You never know when you're going to have the chance to pick in the top 2 - 3 slots. I'm still betting they go QB. 

On 1/25/2018 at 3:44 PM, RealityIsLuck said:

Dream tradeback scenario is: 

Cle select Barkley

Giants select Rosen

A bidding war breaks out for 3 to trade up before Cleveland at 4 to select Sam Darnold between CLE/NYJ/DEN/wildcard MIA. 

Due to increase demand colts get an offer of 6+36 and 46 (Seattles 2nd) for 3. 

Jets take Darnold at 3, Browns take Allen at 4, Denver takes Mayfield. 

At this point we can take Chubb with two extra 2nds in our pocket, or if Chubb isn’t our guy we can trade back again to 8-11 range adding another early second and third and select one of the following: 

(if trade down again - lets say OAK jumps up for Minkah and offers 9/10 and a 2nd and 3rd.

Raiders take Minkah 

Buccs take Chubb

Bears take Ridley 

9ers take Derwin James 

We can take Nelson, Raqoun Smith or Tremaine Edmunds. 

We could literally walk out with 3 extra 2nds and a 3rd AND a tremendous OG if the board falls right.

So exciting to have so many options...

Exactly this is what I'm talking about 

9 hours ago, James Sturgill said:

I wouldn't be upset if we traded back to 10-12 and selected Vita Vea. A 340lb. anchor for the D-line for the next decade.

Say he is a more athletic version of Haloti Ngata. Ray Lewis always claimed that he was what made their Defense special by keeping the linebacking corps clean. Pass rush for the inside would only help the pass rush on the outside.

to many other holes IMO

On 1/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, Indyfan4life said:

It really just depends on what would be offered to us for that 3rd pick. I’d love to have Chubb or Barkley, but if the right offer presents itself, it would be hard to turn it down. 

I know but we need an elite pass rusher. So Ballard has some tough decisions to make. 

3 hours ago, Gigc said:

I'm not buying that yet. If you plan to draft a QB --- one that you hope will lead your team --- you have typically needed to pick one in the top 5 - 10 picks. Eli himself was a number one overall pick. You never know when you're going to have the chance to pick in the top 2 - 3 slots. I'm still betting they go QB. 

They let the veteran Kurt Warner take his lumps before giving the reins to Eli.  I could see a similar scenario play out with them again.  Plus they already set the precedent by benching Eli this past season.  They could still even release him.  I have to think a QB could still be in play for the Giants too.

Maybe they release Eli, sign Bradford (to be the Warner type stop gap plus Shurmur is familiar with him & he knows the system) then draft Rosen to be the short term understudy. 

13 hours ago, James Sturgill said:

I wouldn't be upset if we traded back to 10-12 and selected Vita Vea. A 340lb. anchor for the D-line for the next decade.

Say he is a more athletic version of Haloti Ngata. Ray Lewis always claimed that he was what made their Defense special by keeping the linebacking corps clean. Pass rush for the inside would only help the pass rush on the outside.

Only problem with that scenario is we have no outside pass rush to help by taking an interior DLineman.  We’ve gotta have some difference makers coming off the edge.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Just what makes you think the Giants are not interested in Barkley?  It's quite possible the Giants don't take a QB.

I am inclined to agree.  None of the QB's are ready right now (not to say they wont be after a year or to, don't mis-read me) and Eli has gas in the tank . They won't pass up elite talent to get a QB that might be ready in 2 years when Eli hangs them up. They might take one in round 2 instead, depending who is there and if any dropped...

22 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Idk, Eli is old and Darnold and Rosen are two really good prospects worthy of those picks.

I cant see teams passing up on either, for a RB, even one as good as he is.

I think by the time they work out and go thru interviews and all that, it will be a forgone conclusion that they go 1-2. Teams will be thinking more about their potential than their flaws.

Baker Mayfield impressed at Senior bowl practices (Josh Allen not so much).  So did Luke Falk, who has left the Senior Bowl for his team mates funeral.  (Luke was a guy I hoped would fly under the radar, and Colts take him in a later round. Not happening now)

Side Note, (and back on topic) I feel  more than half of the draft picks taken in rounds 2 and 3 in the NFL draft that are not QB's will be playing in this weekends  Senior Bowl

If the Giants are going to take a QB at #2, I don't think the plan would be to have him sit a couple of years.  For that strategy, they would take a QB in the high second round and develop him under Eli.  

So if we are so capable of trading out of #3, why wouldn't the Giants roll with Eli and trade out of #2?

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If true, that ideology has my support!  Several CB's means at least 4...correct?  I guess that means Wilson and Hairston may be the only hold overs?

If we are going to overpay for a free agent, I'd rather do it to bring in a G than to retain one of our CBs.

Secondary is a strength of ours...Just resign Melvin and Desir....Then we could use picks on other areas, it's counter productive to let those guys walk...We have 3 very good young players in Hooker, Wilson, and Hairston..Focus on edgebrushers, Mlb/Ilb on defense...Offense needs RB, Wr, G...

On 1/25/2018 at 6:07 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Trading back to 5 or 6 could still get us Chubb, so I'm all about that, not to mention that trading back in the 2nd & 3rd rounds could get a significant haul of picks as well.

I also think that if we are in fact looking for "several" CBs, it doesn't necessarily bode well for Desir or Melvin. It's a lot cheaper to draft talented rookies with promise than it is to sign proven veterans to a 2nd contract, especially at that position.

I thought the secondary was okay but injuries and inexperience hampered them. I could see drafting a shut down corner but not before pass rusher.

Rather they focus on other needs.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Secondary is a strength of ours...Just resign Melvin and Desir....Then we could use picks on other areas, it's counter productive to let those guys walk...We have 3 very good young players in Hooker, Wilson, and Hairston..Focus on edgebrushers, Mlb/Ilb on defense...Offense needs RB, Wr, G...

It depends on what type of cash Melvin and Desir want?  Also, if the rumor is true, Indy doesn't have them in their plans....again, IF the rumor is true.