Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philbin leaving Colts for the Packers (merge)

RockThatBlue

M6BZ7uYQ_bigger.jpgRob DemovskyVerified account @RobDemovsky 57m57 minutes ag
The Packers are expected to hire Joe Philbin back to their offense staff, a source told ESPN. The former offensive coordinator will have a similar — if not the same — role. He spent the last two seasons as the Colts O-line coach after his head-coaching... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0741366777648258795-4 
55 replies201 retweets449 likes

I was under the impression that the current staff was under contract. If that is true then I take this to mean that Ballard didn't see Philbin as part of the staff moving forward.

I was optimistic when the Colts hired Philbin but I certainly don't think things worked out like the Colts hoped for.

29 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ok good for Philbin. One less assistant coach that Ballard needs to get rid of.  

It's like breaking up with someone when you know they're going to do the same..

You're fired...nope I quit..lol

The coaching staff has NOT been fired.   If it was we'd all know.   The news would get out.

All this means is Philbin has a solid offer, and since the Colts don't have an HC yet, Philbin can't turn down an offer without knowing if he'll be kept on the new staff.

You know...  a bird in the hand...

Ballard isn't going to stop Philbin from taking another job if he can't guarantee him a job with this Colts in 18...

Sorry it didn't work out for him here...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The coaching staff has NOT been fired.   If it was we'd all know.   The news would get out.

All this means is Philbin has a solid offer, and since the Colts don't have an HC yet, Philbin can't turn down an offer without knowing if he'll be kept on the new staff.

Ballard isn't going to stop Philbin from taking another job if he can't guarantee him a job with this Colts in 18...

Considering the Colts could have blocked it under the NFL rules, I say it's a safe bet he wasn't in their long term plans 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Considering the Colts could have blocked it under the NFL rules, I say it's a safe bet he wasn't in their long term plans 

I doubt Ballard knows who is going to be on the staff of the new HC.

Who knows if the new HC would want Philbin or not?    Maybe he'd want him?   There's no way for anyone to know at this point.

I think Ballard is a good guy and he's doing the right thing. 

Either way...  I'm looking forward to a new HC and his new staff.

Yeah, when Philbin came in I had high hopes. It seemed like with Chud's & Philbin's previous head coaching experience that it would only be a benefit for the team. However, everyone knows it definitely didnt play out like that...

Begs to question if that actually became a hindrance... Too many cooks (egos) in the kitchen, type scenario...

Anyways, good luck in Green Bay...

13 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

To clarify, I think a good share of those sacks were at the hands of the QB...and by the shear number of injuries to the line. However...given the same circumstances, I strongly believe Howard would have done better. 

8 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Yeah, when Philbin came in I had high hopes. It seemed like with Chud's & Philbin's previous head coaching experience that it would only be a benefit for the team. However, everyone knows it definitely didnt play out like that...

Begs to question if that actually became a hindrance... Too many cooks (egos) in the kitchen, type scenario...

Anyways, good luck in Green Bay...

To be honest, I don't really think conflicting egos was that huge an issue in Indy. I just think the team and co. was straight up bad.

He's also moving up to OC according to the story. That's a promotion, and to his old team no less. Combine that with a new regime in Indy and this was a no brainer for him. He's a good coach; just saddled with a rookie level QB and an O line that lacked talent. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're going to be fired when this new coach gets in though. That's a guarandamntee. 

16 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I’m not sure Ballard can stop any assistant coach to leave the Colts if he has an offer and resigns.

When a head coach goes, the rest of the coaching staff doesn't need permission to interview and entertain other employment offers. It's pretty much a given that any new HC will bring in all of his own people, and not be saddled with leftovers from the previous HC's staff. Most, if not all, of the Colts' staff will be scrambling to line up new jobs before they find themselves on the street without a paycheck.

14 hours ago, ManningGM said:

They're going to be fired when this new coach gets in though. That's a guarandamntee. 

I could see a handful of them staying on board like Shottenheimer (did amazing getting multiple QB's ready and playing at a decent level with essentially no prep time), Gregg Williams (DB's have been a Bright spot this season), Mathis (we actually saw solid seasons and quite a bit of progress in our pass rushers), and McMahon (despite losing McAfee and Overton, he helped find and coach up Sanchez to be a top 5 punter and turned Rhodes from a backup LB into a very solid LS).