Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Well there's and interesting group of canadates! I like MacDaniels offense but he was VERY immature in Denver read on here somewhere a nice article about how he has  potential changed maybe? For me he's always been an easy guy to hate! Toub and Nagy ahhhhh ok would know really nothing about them other than a few articles which painted both in a good light maybe there ok the whole KC thing makes me feel weird? I guess it's ok that Ballard likes them! Verbal that one surprised me and Wilks I know nothing about I would think the are long shots!

i will say this though Irsay said and I believe it that Ballards doing the Heavy lifting so to speak in the search,  I can guarantee you  he won't bring in a guy that  diminishes the role of the GM so I think there will be no  Harbaugh or Gruden !

and no belichick, 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Have already interviewed all of them except for Toub and Wilks not sure we are even interested in Toub

Right. I haven seen anything about Toub either.

Just think it's interesting that all of our known interviewing candidates besides McDaniels or Vrabel were first round playoff exits. So now there will be no interference in the process.

26 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Right. I haven seen anything about Toub either.

Just think it's interesting that all of our known interviewing candidates besides McDaniels or Vrabel were first round playoff exits. So now there will be no interference in the process.

Yeah I believe we get a new coach this week 

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

McDaniels Richard Wilks Vrabel Nagy 

Interesting.....

Two OCs....  McDaniel, Nagy...

Three DCs...  Will, Richards, Vrabel...

And so far, no Toub...   at least, not yet.

I don't think anyone here predicted this would be the quintet we'd see... 

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The thing with Toub is that he could probably assemble an impressive staff. His connection with Reid goes back to the 80s, and he’s worked with a lot of great people from his time in Philly, Chicago, and now KC. Pettine would be a nice DC. 

Wilks is at the top top of my list now, but Toub would put together an incredible staff.

More players speaking highly of Wilks http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/steve-wilks-great-giants-hc-player-article-1.3743617

Its clear to me the writer wants Mcdaniels because he tried to throw in the "his defense got torched" line. As if that wasn't a hall of fame QB they faced. Takes a hell of an effort to shut that O down and New Orleans O line was like a concrete wall last night. They stopped Brees when it mattered and gave Cam a chance to close it out. Then the writer goes on to huff and puff about all Mcdaniels accolades. I think Wilks is who we need. Its going to be between Mcdaniels, Wilks, and Nagy I think. Hopefully we get Wilks.

Don't hear anyone here talking about Kris Richard .  Last name pronounced like its French, By the way. Ed Dodds Seattle connection.  Has been with Seattle Legion of Boom defense since its inception and worked his way up to D.C. Watched some of his videos too.  He's in the middle of their defense when hey huddle before games .  Lot of energy. Sounds more like Tony Dungy than Mike Tomlin  to me.  A guy named Pete Shrager predicts hiot candidates in the league and says this guy is who he is predicting to be the next HC somewhere.  I'm kinda thinking Ballard might lean his way. Why bring in Dodds if you aren't going to listen to him? Right?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/coach-searches-come-into-focus-as-teams-wait-on-patriots-panthers-more-notes/

La Canfora: 

And New England's offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels, is ready to go and it is very likely to come down to the Colts and Bears for him; I'd put my money on Indianapolis with the expectation that Andrew Luck will be a functioning quarterback in 2018.

I reached out to several current and former NFL execs – including many who have been involved in coaching searches – and they all agreed that the Chiefs' debacle Saturday night is a massive setback for their coordinator, Matt Nagy. The young play caller was part of blowing an 18-point lead at home to a middling opponent with no passing game of its own, and systematically ignoring the league's leading rusher in the process. "You can't hire him now," one grizzled front office exec said. "No way." Nagy had meetings with the Bears and Colts this weekend. My money in Chicago is on a different young offensive coach, John DeFilippo, the Eagles' quarterbacks coach, who is the kind of guy who won't give newly empowered general manager Ryan Pace too much pushback. They are all about finding their guy to get the best out of Mitch Trubisky. Pace should try to move the moon and the stars to keep Vic Fangio as his defensive coordinator.

The battle to get first crack at an interview with Wilks is real. Sources said the Giants, Cardinals, Colts and Lions all want to speak to him, which could happen soon after the Panthers were knocked out of the playoffs Sunday night. The Panthers will allow him to interview Monday, I'm told. Since the Panthers lost, Wilks can do more interviews early in the week.

Getting the sense that Chuck Pagano, after a little respite here, will be open to listening on defensive-coordinator options, and he'll be coveted. Baltimore loves him and wants him back, but there will be much for him to consider. I don't expect him to take 2018 off as some close to him originally expected.

We're getting into the juicy part of the search.

Ballard/Irsay will be ready for the second round of interviews after they meet with Wilks, which probably won't happen until mid-weekish. Of course there's McDaniels' timeline to figure out.

I think if we want one of McDaniels/Wilks it'll get interesting though. I could see them having a tough time deciding between teams that want them.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the Saints may end up winning the Super Bowl this year.   Very hard to stop that offense and Drew Brees line looks like it used to.  #Concrete Wall

That's what a stellar draft class and good coaching can do for you...

Lattimore, Ramczyk, Marcus Williams, Kamara...  have all been amazing as rookies. We need a similar class.  

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's what a stellar draft class and good coaching can do for you...

Lattimore, Ramczyk, Marcus Williams, Kamara...  have all been amazing as rookies. We need a similar class.  

Carolina looked like they were running into Kryptonite every time they tried to get past that offensive line.   They tried everything they could and could barely touch Brees last night.   That's the main reason why they were having trouble stopping them.  And when they did get pressure Brees read it so fast and went to his hot route.   It was just a tough draw for them.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I take that back.   I think it's going to be between Mcdaniels and Wilks.

I don't think they will choose Nagy.

I agree.  As per the article quoted by @stitches Nagy's rep has been damaged by that loss, whether fair or not.  I think the perception for a team to hire him now would be damaged by that result. 

Saying that, bringing in a coach that excels at blowing second half leads would mean a smooth transition into the Colts locker room.

I just get the impression we are trending to McDaniels, especially with Titans announcing Mularkey retention.

4 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Rather poor auditions by Nagy and Wilks on Wild Card weekend. That should have little bearing on their interviews or the ultimate choice. I bet Nagy got an uncomfortable question about 2nd half play calling when he interviewed on Sunday.

The Saints can make anyone look bad though. I wouldn’t worry about Wilks too much. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It seems like Steve Wilks is a pretty hot commodity in this coaching search. Pretty much all teams with a HC opening are interviewing him:

I think us and the Giants have the best shot at him because we have the aces up our sleeve. They have Gettleman who was with him for 4 years in Carolina, but we have Ballard who he worked with from his time with the Bears. We also have Andrew Luck and aren’t in a big media city like NY. I read that Wilks has mostly coached in the Southeast. Maybe he won’t like New York. 

15 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Rather poor auditions by Nagy and Wilks on Wild Card weekend. That should have little bearing on their interviews or the ultimate choice. I bet Nagy got an uncomfortable question about 2nd half play calling when he interviewed on Sunday.

To be fair Wilks didn't lose at home to the Titans....Losing  to Saints on the road is a  different animal.entirely....Saints  will be Super Bowl champs this year...

4 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I’m gone cold on Nagy. I would be disappointed if Ballard picks him, I think we have witnessed enough blown first half leads. He would be a hard sell to the Colts fans, so strike him out. 

Bears seem to be close to signing him. 

28 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

was that question "wth?"