Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

On 1/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, LSD9402 said:

I think Bears end up with Nagy if this is true. He seems to want to work with them and Chi have some nice young pieces with their RBs.

McDaniels will most likely be ours most likely. He won't have to teach a raw kid how to play he can just come in and start installing with one of the best.

Good. I hope Nagy does go with the Bears. He is certainly not a favorite candidate of mine.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I can only remember 3 coaches who won superbowl(s) with their first teams as HC in the last 30-35 years. And I doubt there were many before. Those 3 I remember are Harbaugh, Payton and McCarthy.

Do you mean first time head coach in the NFL? If so, there have been many more. In addition to Tomlin, I can think of Brian Billick, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Mike Ditka. There may be others that I don't remember.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Listen to this post game address by him: 

He is well spoken and commanded the room. He knows his X’s and O’s, probably better than Pagano. He also held one of his young CBs accountable by saying what he did wrong. He didn’t just sit there and sing the praises of the team but was critical and went into depth about how the game went. That’s all HC stuff IMO.

I can 100 Percent see this guy as a HC. I think he'd do a fantastic job. He knows things down to the fine details and easily articulates what he wants. Then he holds people accountable including himself.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He is well spoken and commanded the room. He knows his X’s and O’s, probably better than Pagano. He also held one of his young CBs accountable by saying what he did wrong. He didn’t just sit there and sing the praises of the team but was critical and went into depth about how the game went. That’s all HC stuff IMO.

I watched only 5 minutes. I was impressed. He sounds and carries himself like a head coach ("commanded the room" is accurate). Reports are that Gettelman wants to hire Wilks to be the next Giants head coach. 

If Colts fans don't want a rookie head coach, Shurmur would work well with Luck. I have not heard any reports of the Colts being interested in Shurmur.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He does look like a 'leader of men' and he does look like a great communicator. I wouldn't mind him as a HC. Honestly, we probably know very little about the candidates when it comes to HC-worthy attributes, so I guess if you trust Ballard you will trust his choice, if you don't you probably will have questions about whoever he hires. Right now, he hasn't given me reasons to distrust him so I feel good about most of the candidates and I will feel OK with pretty much any of them. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I watched only 5 minutes. I was impressed. He sounds and carries himself like a head coach ("commanded the room" is accurate). Reports are that Gettelman wants to hire Wilks to be the next Giants head coach. 

If Colts fans don't want a rookie head coach, Shurmur would work well with Luck. I have not heard any reports of the Colts being interested in Shurmur.

Yep, he seems like the embodiment of the "command of the room" cliche. If there was an entry on wikipedia on it, they could put that clip in there and people would know what is meant by it. 

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He is rubbing off on me too. I like him.

Wilks reminds me a lot of Mike Tomlin personality wise. Only I think he may be smarter. Hes the guy I want. Defensively I know the scheme would change, but they use bigger players in that version of the 4-3 he runs. Most of our players would still fit and I love that he believes in bringing that blitz.

Funny, but I listened closely to what he was saying in his presser. The beginning sounded exactly like Pagano. In addition, he used the word "great" over and over. Used terms like "one day at a time", and "It's hard to win a game in the National Football League", and "It was a great team win", and "Its all about taking that next step", gave credit to the other team, saying they were well coached....etc, etc. 

No, I am not saying that he is not head coach material. I am pointing at the over the top criticism of Chuck Pagano's word choices in his pressers, and how Wilks is now attractive....partly because he is new. If he were to become the head coach, and take us down the same road, his cliches would become irritating to many fans just the same....without merit. Sayings and cliches don't make coaches good or bad. Coach Pagano failed as a coach in the owners and GM's eyes, and he is gone. It would be refreshing to see fans praise or criticize the next coach because of his coaching abilities....not because of his speaking at a presser. 

Just a thought...

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wilks reminds me a lot of Mike Tomlin personality wise. Only I think he may be smarter. Hes the guy I want. Defensively I know the scheme would change, but they use bigger players in that version of the 4-3 he runs. Most of our players would still fit and I love that he believes in bringing that blitz.

Wow same thing I thought, smarter IDK but he might have become my favorite candidate!! when does he come in for and interview. I was really impressed!! Have to admit I do like Tomlin a lot and the way he carries himself.

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Funny, but I listened closely to what he was saying in his presser. The beginning sounded exactly like Pagano. In addition, he used the word "great" over and over. Used terms like "one day at a time", and "It's hard to win a game in the National Football League", and "It was a great team win", and "Its all about taking that next step", gave credit to the other team, saying they were well coached....etc, etc. 

No, I am not saying that he is not head coach material. I am pointing at the over the top criticism of Chuck Pagano's word choices in his pressers, and how Wilks is now attractive....partly because he is new. If he were to become the head coach, and take us down the same road, his cliches would become irritating to many fans just the same....without merit. Sayings and cliches don't make coaches good or bad. Coach Pagano failed as a coach in the owners and GM's eyes, and he is gone. It would be refreshing to see fans praise or criticize the next coach because of his coaching abilities....not because of his speaking at a presser. 

Just a thought...

Cliches are fine if you win!!

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just a thought...

he kinda brought that on himself

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just a thought...

Just have to remember that coach speak is spoke all the time by almost all coaches. They all fall pretty much under the same umbrella.

It's hard to fill time without giving any information away.

58 minutes ago, krunk said:

I had brought up Pettine as a possible DC for Toub weeks ago.

The thing with Toub is that he could probably assemble an impressive staff. His connection with Reid goes back to the 80s, and he’s worked with a lot of great people from his time in Philly, Chicago, and now KC. Pettine would be a nice DC. 

Wilks is at the top top of my list now, but Toub would put together an incredible staff.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just have to remember that coach speak is spoke all the time by almost all coaches. They all fall pretty much under the same umbrella.

It's hard to fill time without giving any information away.

Except for B.B., he never says anything more to the press than what’s required.  He’s earned the ‘no nonsense’ right.  

I dont care what they say, I care how they prepare and how the team reacts to them.  

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The thing with Toub is that he could probably assemble an impressive staff. His connection with Reid goes back to the 80s, and he’s worked with a lot of great people from his time in Philly, Chicago, and now KC. Pettine would be a nice DC. 

Wilks is at the top top of my list now, but Toub would put together an incredible staff.

When was or is Toub scheduled to be interviewed?

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Do you mean first time head coach in the NFL? If so, there have been many more. In addition to Tomlin, I can think of Brian Billick, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Mike Ditka. There may be others that I don't remember.

Hank Stram, Vince Lombardi, and Chuck Noll

4 hours ago, krunk said:

IF Wilks is smarter than Tomlin (a W&M graduate) then whomever lands him is getting a very intelligent man. I’d be very happy if the Colts hire Wilks. 

21 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Well, I have to say, after the Chiefs-Titans game, Nagy has fallen off my list of favourite candidates. After Kelce's injury, that entire offense has fallen apart despite with Smith, Hill, Hunt were still on board. 

No, thank you.

I agree don't want anybody from KC no better than Pagano.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

How Andy still has a job I will never know winning just 1 out of his last 12-13 playoff games. That is horrible.

Hes the new marty schotz. U think Ballard would expand his hc search beyond what is leaking out.