Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

The problem with DeFilippo is he 's getting HC interviews already. If he did come to Indy as an OC it might be a very short stay.

That's the risk you take by getting a cutting edge coordinator. It's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Get a great coordinator and risk losing him in a year or two, or get a meh coordinator and know he will stay. I'd go with the great one every single time. Worry about the quality you have on your staff at any single time, don't worry about losing them. If you lose them, go out and replace them with the next big thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, relkins said:

What's insane is doing the same thing over and over.

We hired a rookie HC in Pagano.... Hiring another rookie HC would be doing the same thing. If you don't like McDaniels, just say it, but at least have a better reason than "He's already failed before."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stitches said:

That's the risk you take by getting a cutting edge coordinator. It's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Get a great coordinator and risk losing him in a year or two, or get a meh coordinator and know he will stay. I'd go with the great one every single time. Worry about the quality you have on your staff at any single time, don't worry about losing them. If you lose them, go out and replace them with the next big thing. 

Or just hire an offensive coach.

 

when I look at Brady , manning and Brees, the 3 most successful quarterbacks of their generation, I see 3 guys that played in the same systems almost their entire career.

If some one like DeFilippo can bring in a possible successor, I would have no problem with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Wait, am I tripping? I swear all I read was that his interview was Thursday..........

I also read where it was Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I would hedge on someone like Nagy or Wilkes or Vrabel is that they haven't been in leadership positions for very long. Meaning things like game management, staff hiring, overall strategy, etc are things that they are inexperienced with, the things that Pagano struggled with. If you haven't been DC or OC or HC for very long, sometimes those are the skills you lack. For me, one of those guys either better knock it out of the park or, like McVay in LA, be able to hire some experienced coordinators to surround themselves. 

 

Of the candidates we are linked with so far, slowly warming to the idea of McDaniels (very slowly). Of the one's not linked with us, Frank Reich looks like our kind of guy and as much as I hate to say it, Schwartz from Philadelphia as well. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

The only reason I would hedge on someone like Nagy or Wilkes or Vrabel is that they haven't been in leadership positions for very long. Meaning things like game management, staff hiring, overall strategy, etc are things that they are inexperienced with, the things that Pagano struggled with. If you haven't been DC or OC or HC for very long, sometimes those are the skills you lack. For me, one of those guys either better knock it out of the park or, like McVay in LA, be able to hire some experienced coordinators to surround themselves. 

 

Of the candidates we are linked with so far, slowly warming to the idea of McDaniels (very slowly). Of the one's not linked with us, Frank Reich looks like our kind of guy and as much as I hate to say it, Schwartz from Philadelphia as well. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks!

 

 

 

 

That is why I like Toub so much as he has been in a leadership position on a football team for years.  He is respected by players and coaches alike.  I just have a feeling about him which could totally turn out badly but I just think he will be a very good HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Wait, am I tripping? I swear all I read was that his interview was Thursday..........

It was scheduled for thursday but there is a blizzard here (Mass) today.  Schools, courts, roads are closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, Defjamz26 said:

What’s his system even like though? Seems like B.B. is the mastermind there. People seem to think McDaniels=The Pats Offensive System. I don’t think that’s the case though. And I also don’t get all the “he learned from his time in Denver” talk. How? Based on what? 

 

BB was a defensive coordinator leading up to becoming a HC.  Why would you think the offensive system is his?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, colt18 said:

I sincerely hope we get an offensive minded HC or Toub. Richards from Seattle looks like a good candidate but I'd rather have someone who can transform our offense.

 

What makes you think Toub could do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

What makes you think Toub could do that?


Yeah there's things I like about Toub, he's worked with both sides of the trenches and seems like a solid leader, but I wonder about the possibility of him being very reliant on his coordinators.

Which also makes me wonder if we become one of the hot teams to poach from if succesful under Toub. Everybody will see that he's a ST guy and I imagine our OC/DC will get a lot of praise and attention if either one drastically improves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


Yeah there's things I like about Toub, specifically that he's worked with both sides of the trenches and seems like a solid leader, but I worry about how much I think he'll rely on coordinators. 

Or at the very least I worry about what happens if and when our OC gets poached. Or the DC for that matter.
 

A head coach has to rely on his coordinators while he is busy doing his job.

As far as a OC or DC getting poached that is reality in the NFL. You can't let that stop you from hiring the best available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A head coach has to rely on his coordinators while he is busy doing his job.

As far as a OC or DC getting poached that is reality in the NFL. You can't let that stop you from hiring the best available.


That's a good answer but I think with Toub it could be different. Unlike bringing in McD or Nagy, and their own offense, Toub will likely collaborate if not sort of rely on an OC to bring in an offense. Even if it's Toub's system...the playbook/offense could change drastically from coordinator to coordinator under him. But under Nagy or McDaniels? Not so much.

And you're right, coordinators getting poached is life in the NFL, but I do think they'll get more attention/spotlight working under a coach who's known as a ST guy. Basically I imagine Luck makes the OC look good for a couple years and then he'll be gone. Rinse and repeat.

 

Then again it could be argued that these would be good problems to have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I think Toub couldn't be a good HC. He's one of my top choices. I just think poaching is a much bigger possibility with Toub than it is under most other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's a good answer but I think with Toub it could be different. Unlike bringing in McD or Nagy, and their own offense, Toub will likely collaborate if not sort of rely on an OC to bring in an offense. Even if it's Toub's system...the playbook/offense could change drastically from coordinator to coordinator under him. But under Nagy or McDaniels? Not so much.

This is false.  We brought in Pagano, a D minded guy, so no offensive scheme right.  But yet under multiple OC's we still ran the same or extremely similar system...Air Coryel.  So under Toub who has roots with Reid, he could very easily want to have that type of system in place no matter the OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is false.  We brought in Pagano, a D minded guy, so no offensive scheme right.  But yet under multiple OC's we still ran the same or extremely similar system...Air Coryel.  So under Toub who has roots with Reid, he could very easily want to have that type of system in place no matter the OC.

If we do hire Toub he will bring in his own OC. At this time we just don't know who that might be. I would assume they would sit down and come up with a plan. Hopefully it will have a play book that covers any plays we need to win.

All that can be addressed after they see the players they have to work with. If we don't have the players to make a Coryel type of scheme work, adjustments can be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we do hire Toub he will bring in his own OC. At this time we just don't know who that might be. I would assume they would sit down and come up with a plan. Hopefully it will have a play book that covers any plays we need to win.

All that can be addressed after they see the players they have to work with. If we don't have the players to make a Coryel type of scheme work, adjustments can be made.

The Air Coryel comment was to reflect the Pagano era.  I at no point am saying Toub would have any care or consideration for this.  I actually really hope he does not.  Again, all used for example based on the comment I replied to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is false.  We brought in Pagano, a D minded guy, so no offensive scheme right.  But yet under multiple OC's we still ran the same or extremely similar system...Air Coryel.  So under Toub who has roots with Reid, he could very easily want to have that type of system in place no matter the OC.


Yup and that wasn't really a good thing. Which is why I worry about what Toub's system would be,  especially if he's just gonna try to ape Reid's style.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J@son said:

 

What makes you think Toub could do that?

I don’t. I’d rather have someone who can transform the offense, but I wouldn’t mind Toub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


Yup and that wasn't really a good thing. Which is why I worry about what Toub's system would be,  especially if he's just gonna try to ape Reid's style.
 

Whoever he has in mind for OC will have some type of system.  Could be another guy from the Reid tree or not who knows.  I do not have to much of a concern on who it would be compared to the system they favor.  We need a system that allows for quick producing plays.  Basically the opposite from what we had the last 6 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Whoever he has in mind for OC will have some type of system.  Could be another guy from the Reid tree or not who knows.  I do not have to much of a concern on who it would be compared to the system they favor.  We need a system that allows for quick producing plays.  Basically the opposite from what we had the last 6 years.


All good points.

I actually like Toub as well. I'm just trying to account for the one thing I worry about with him, the possibility of becoming the hot team to poach. Which, like you point out, may not matter if Toub implements a solid enough system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


All good points.

I actually like Toub as well. I'm just trying to account for the one thing I worry about with him, the possibility of becoming the hot team to poach.

There is only one way to look at that. If that happens then the right people were picked.

Then move on if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is only one way to look at that. If that happens then the right people were picked.

Then move on if so.


Yup like I said earlier, it's one of those good problems to have. It would mean we're successful under Toub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone earlier in this thread made a comment about hiring a hot, brilliant oc and then you risk losing him in a couple of years. That's a valid point. So, why has McDaniels been in ne so long? If he is such a hot hc prospect he should have gotten one 3-4-5 years ago. What is turning prospective employers off of McDaniels these past few years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting tidbit that might or might not have significance and might or might not scare the fans of McDaniels - the Lions GM Bob Quinn who was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2016(most of those around McDaniels) seems like has requested an interview ONLY with Patricia and not with McDaniels for the Lions HC job opening(so far). I don't know how much weight to put on this, but it might be interesting to follow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting tidbit that might or might not have significance and might or might not scare the fans of McDaniels - the Lions GM Bob Quinn who was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2016(most of those around McDaniels) seems like has requested an interview ONLY with Patricia and not with McDaniels for the Lions HC job opening(so far). I don't know how much weight to put on this, but it might be interesting to follow. 

Might be because he wants to keep Jim Bob and the current offense in tact!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Might be because he wants to keep Jim Bob and the current offense in tact!

Very possible indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Someone earlier in this thread made a comment about hiring a hot, brilliant oc and then you risk losing him in a couple of years. That's a valid point. So, why has McDaniels been in ne so long? If he is such a hot hc prospect he should have gotten one 3-4-5 years ago. What is turning prospective employers off of McDaniels these past few years?

Well you are looking at it wrong.  McDaniels is turned off from the possible HC spots.  He can either wait out his current spot in hopes to takeover or hand pick the best situation for him.  It has been reported that he is doing both to an extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read where we have requested permission to interview Nagy but not Toub.  The only men I have seen so far are: McDaniels, Nagy, Richard, Wilks, and Vrabel.  Has Toub been confirmed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have read where we have requested permission to interview Nagy but not Toub.  The only men I have seen so far are: McDaniels, Nagy, Richard, Wilks, and Vrabel.  Has Toub been confirmed?

Many times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting tidbit that might or might not have significance and might or might not scare the fans of McDaniels - the Lions GM Bob Quinn who was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2016(most of those around McDaniels) seems like has requested an interview ONLY with Patricia and not with McDaniels for the Lions HC job opening(so far). I don't know how much weight to put on this, but it might be interesting to follow. 

You can't think much of Belichick's opinion if you read anything into this tidbit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kris Richard is actually somewhat intriguing to me, though I don't know a ton about him. Has obviously done a nice job in Seattle on the defensive side of the ball moving up through the ranks. Hope it isn't just to satisfy the RR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roger said:

You can't think much of Belichick's opinion if you read anything into this tidbit. 

He might think he's awesome coordinator and still not think he's gonna be a good head coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seahawks fans on reddit don't seem to have very high opinion of Richard. They think he's a good DB coach, but not great coordinator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roger said:

You can't think much of Belichick's opinion if you read anything into this tidbit. 

What does Belichick have to do with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, stitches said:

He might think he's awesome coordinator and still not think he's gonna be a good head coach. 

But I'm pretty sure BB has talked about how great a HC candidate Josh is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting tidbit that might or might not have significance and might or might not scare the fans of McDaniels - the Lions GM Bob Quinn who was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2016(most of those around McDaniels) seems like has requested an interview ONLY with Patricia and not with McDaniels for the Lions HC job opening(so far). I don't know how much weight to put on this, but it might be interesting to follow. 

Probably knows he’s overrated. I can’t believe people really think that he’ll come in and install a carbon copy of the Patriots offense, and be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Probably knows he’s overrated. I can’t believe people really think that he’ll come in and install a carbon copy of the Patriots offense, and be amazing.

No one says it will be a carbon copy but it will be similar and will be great for Luck the guy has worked on both sides of the ball with the GOAT coach and gets high praise from BB he even went to Dungy after his time in Den to figure out how to be a better coach I don't think there are 2 better modern day coaches he could get advice from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No one says it will be a carbon copy but it will be similar and will be great for Luck the guy has worked on both sides of the ball with the GOAT coach and gets high praise from BB he even went to Dungy after his time in Den to figure out how to be a better coach I don't think there are 2 better modern day coaches he could get advice from 

We’ve heard that before about B.B. I’m not buying into that. Just because he was under B.B. isn’t enough for him to be praised the way he is. I haven’t heard anything about him as a talent developer, a playcaller, a leader, or a guy players love. All I’ve heard is that he played under B.B. and his dad was a coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’ve heard that before about B.B. I’m not buying into that. Just because he was under B.B. isn’t enough for him to be praised the way he is. I haven’t heard anything about him as a talent developer, a playcaller, a leader, or a guy players love. All I’ve heard is that he played under B.B. and his dad was a coach.

He's been calling the plays in NE BB isn't running the D and the offense while being HC and GM now if you want to worry about a coordinator it's Matt Patricia  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 7:46 PM, relkins said:

What's insane is doing the same thing over and over.

 

no it's not, and only re-hiring pagano specifically would be "doing the same thing"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...