Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

Wonder if we are going to get that surprise candidate. Everyone, other than the Raiders, interviewing pretty much the same guys. Particularly now that Nagy is off the list and if Wilks or someone else gets hired quickly. Would be interesting to see who would come up as a potential candidate. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bears and Nagy make a lot of sense. Nagy being a super young HC, Trubisky just coming into the league, let them grow together. Better fit than us, I think.

I'm okay with that, I liked Nagy but I'm all for getting somebody a little more seasoned. Luck's already getting to be in his prime anyways. I was kind of worried about Nagy just not being ready yet. But the Bears are a good situation for him.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

If McDaniels declines, i could get behind Kris Richard. 

If McDaniels declines I'd honestly rather see some more candidates brought in.  But of those left it would be between Richard and Wilks.  Really have no interest in either Toub nor Vrable.

I'll give the Bears credit.  They new right away yesterday and moved quickly.  If Ballard really knows who he wants he should move quickly now.  If he needs to wait for the Wilks interview then his mind is probably not made up.  I think Nagy's hiring will speed things up.  I hope we don't miss out on the guy he really wants. 

Just saw a report that the Seahawks are interested in bringing Gus Bradley back as DC meaning, either they think Richard is going to get a HC gig or they don't plan to bring him back as DC. If Ballard really wants to run a 4-3 Seattle style defense I'd love to pair one of those two guys with an offensive minded HC like McDaniels.

http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-interested-bringing-back-gus-bradley/

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Just saw a report that the Seahawks are interested in bringing Gus Bradley back as DC meaning, either they think Richard is going to get a HC gig or they don't plan to bring him back as DC. If Ballard really wants to run a 4-3 Seattle style defense I'd love to pair one of those two guys with an offensive minded HC like McDaniels.

http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-interested-bringing-back-gus-bradley/

Now we’re talking! that would be awesome!

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just saw this.

My hope, and it is just a lack of patience really, was that something would be decided sooner than later.  With the Wilks' interview now not scheduled until Thursday, a resolution is still a ways off.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

Just saw this.

My hope, and it is just a lack of patience really, was that something would be decided sooner than later.  With the Wilks' interview now not scheduled until Thursday, a resolution is still a ways off.

The guy still has to interview with Arizona and the Giants. Not much the Colts can do about it. If the coach is anyone but McDaniels, they'll be hired within a couple weeks.

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Just saw this.

If the reports of momentum with McDaniel's are true, then there is a natural pause here as he finishes the playoff run and we complete Rooney Rule compliance.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

If the reports of momentum with McDaniel's are true, then there is a natural pause here as he finishes the playoff run and we complete Rooney Rule compliance.

Wasn’t that already satisfied with the interview with Richard?

9 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Yeah, I get that.

Just want to get the news whichever way it goes.

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

Looking more and more like the field is dwindling down to just McDaniels as the most viable candidate.

Yeah I was gonna say...I know Irsay/Ballard talked about a second round of interviews but their might only be like 3 guys we interviewed/were scheduled to interview anyways.

Wilks meets with the Giants and Cards on Tue. and Wed., before us. Could get hired before his interview with us takes place.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah I was gonna say...I know Irsay and Ballard talked about a second round of interviews but their might only be like 3 guys we interviewed/were scheduled to interview anyways.

Wilks meets with the Giants and Arizona on Tuesday/Wednesday, before us. Could get hired at one of those places.

Yeah and I'm surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news on Toub for interviews anywhere, especially here. Could still be in the pipeline but I haven't seen anything on it yet.

In terms of Wilks, I like him and what I've seen in interviews but his path seems a little too similar to Pagano's which tells me he may not be fully ready for this level of role yet. Its the same issue that I have with Vrabel but he has even less than Wilks.

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

Looking more and more like the field is dwindling down to just McDaniels as the most viable candidate.

If we are waiting until Thursday to interview him then he is still a candidate and Ballard has not made up his mind.  McDaniels or any of the others might not wait.  The team that shows the first love might just get their guy.  We could announce that we have an agreement with McDaniels before his season ends. We don't have to wait to announce.  I think Wilks is getting signed before our interview.  Just a hunch.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah I was gonna say...I know Irsay/Ballard talked about a second round of interviews but their might only be like 3 guys we interviewed/were scheduled to interview anyways.

Wilks meets with the Giants and Cards on Tue. and Wed., before us. Could get hired before his interview with us takes place.

That's what I'm afraid of.  He'll probably get hired by the Giants or the Cards.

I want him to at least get his pitch in front of Ballard.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If we are waiting until Thursday to interview him then he is still a candidate and Ballard has not made up his mind.  McDaniels or any of the others might not wait.  The team that shows the first love might just get their guy.  We could announce that we have an agreement with McDaniels before his season ends. We don't have to wait to announce.  I think Wilks is getting signed before our interview.  Just a hunch.

Even if we had a rock solid agreement with McDaniels this week, do you think we would announce? Or would we agree to hold off announcing until after the Pats playoff run? I don't know the answer, but I can see where we might wait.

29 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Even if we had a rock solid agreement with McDaniels this week, do you think we would announce? Or would we agree to hold off announcing until after the Pats playoff run? I don't know the answer, but I can see where we might wait.

If we had an agreement with McDaniels this week I don't see why we wouldn't announce.  It's not really fair to the other candidates.  I don't think Ballard would keep them hanging.  McDaniels could also make some calls and start lining up his staff as well. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we had an agreement with McDaniels this week I don't see why we wouldn't announce.  It's not really fair to the other candidates.  I don't think Ballard would keep them hanging.  McDaniels could also make some calls and start lining up his staff as well. 

Ahem. You would private phone the other candidates. It would be cruel for them to find out by way of ESPN anyhow. Think about it.

53 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Ahem. You would private phone the other candidates. It would be cruel for them to find out by way of ESPN anyhow. Think about it.

For sure.  That's what you would do. You don't think it would leak out we have found our coach?  No reason for them to keep quiet.  Just announce it and move on.  

1 hour ago, Buddy Lee said:

Don't really think there'd be any point in waiting. Once the colts didn't make an announcement while simultaneously not continuing to interview candidates, the dots would be connected almost immediately. 

ESPN's Mike Wells is reporting we will interview Carolina's Steve Wilks on Thursday.....

Here's the tweet....

wells_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer 

Carolina defensive coordinator Steve Wilks is scheduled to interview with the Colts for their head coaching position on Thursday, according to a source.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

For sure.  That's what you would do. You don't think it would leak out we have found our coach?  No reason for them to keep quiet.  Just announce it and move on.  

No. I think out of respect it wouldn't leak. It's not the White House. There are reputable people involved.

8 hours ago, J@son said:

Don't really think there'd be any point in waiting. Once the colts didn't make an announcement while simultaneously not continuing to interview candidates, the dots would be connected almost immediately. 

So? Connect the dots. So?

8 hours ago, J@son said:

As long as McDaniels is a consideration it is simple to say we will conduct followup interviews. Since Pats are off limits for a period that is ample subterfuge. Very easy.. You make it seem too hard.

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Mike Garafolo

Wow... with the #AZCardinals interview of Wilks looming, the Giants put pieces in place to close today if they choose to.

Ian Rapoport added,

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo
From the FWIW department: Giants chairman Steve Tisch will sit on on today’s interview with Steve Wilks, sources say. It’s his first. Doesn’t necessarily mean Wilks is the favorite. But unlike other candidates, Wilks has a shot to wow all key parties today.

32 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Mike Garafolo

Wow... with the #AZCardinals interview of Wilks looming, the Giants put pieces in place to close today if they choose to.

Ian Rapoport added,

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo
From the FWIW department: Giants chairman Steve Tisch will sit on on today’s interview with Steve Wilks, sources say. It’s his first. Doesn’t necessarily mean Wilks is the favorite. But unlike other candidates, Wilks has a shot to wow all key parties today.

Yup, the Giants know they need to make a move. I wouldn't be surprised if Patricia has verbally accepted the Lions job and if the Giants wanted to lock up Wilks before the Cards/Colts interview.

I know Ballard said patience was key in this process but this is what I was worried about. Now he might only have all of McDaniels, Vrabel, and Richard to choose from if Wilks goes to NY. 

Keep seeing Toub's name mentioned, but as far as we know, there is no interview scheduled.  He has not interviewed with any other teams, either.  Seems to me if he's a viable candidate, he would have been interviewed by somebody by now.  Kind of makes me nervous...let's say McDaniels is the favorite now, but we can't hire him until NE is out of the playoffs (probably Super Bowl).

Then, what if McDaniels goes elsewhere or stays in NE?  I'd hate to think that Toub is our Plan B.  I keep hearing how organized he is, leadership, etc., but if NO ONE else in the NFL has even requested an interview with him, then I question is qualifications and capabilities.