Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to agree with you on that.  Makes no sense at all.  I am in the camp thinking it was a college coach.  If it gets out it could kill their recruiting efforts if they don't get the job.  I'm thinking Peterson or Shaw.  Wildcard; Lovie Smith.

Not Lovie.. He makes Caldwell look like Mr. Laughs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For how secretive they're being, there's definitely something going on behind the scenes that's WAY bigger than just hiring a special teams coach that hasn't even interviewed with any other teams.

Especially when that guy is now available to be hired right away.

22 minutes ago, Restored said:

So I'm really wondering who the mystery candidate was on Monday...

Who knows...at this point it's up there with the "wopper" WR trade from 2013. 

People will say what they will about the Colts...but I think they are easily the most "interesting" team (off the field) in the NFL for the past seven years.

Not saying it's a good thing...it just is what it is:

- Manning's injury and subsequent departure

- Luck's surgery and unknown timeline to throw

- Irsay and his antics (like cryptic tweets...among other things) 

- Grumors last offseason 

- Manning as Team President rumors (still ongoing) 

- secret HC interviews

Imagine if the Colts played in one of the top few markets. They are a sports talk show's dream come true. I am sure guys like JMV have enjoyed the ride...pun intended.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Same thing about McDaniels. He’s stood on the sideline by B.B. holding a clipboard and get credited as being the mastermind of part of New England’s greatness.

I am not a fan of either of them. I did not like Mangini when he came to the Jets. You live in this area. Does Matt Patricia seem like a Giants type coach? He is the coach that wore that t-shirt portraying Goodell as a clown. I can't see him pulling that with the Giants. I have a good friend whose family have been season ticket holders for over 50 years. I will ask him what he thinks. I like Shurmur or Wilks for the Giants and the Colts.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

By 2 years u think?

After the 2015 season was the time to get rid of him and Grigs (who I was ready to get rid of much earlier than that). The Luck injury that season clouded Irsay's judgement though and bought Pagano another year. No idea how he survived the 2016 season though.

20 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Hand shake deal with Toub?

KC is done.  If that were the case, you would just announce it.  Toub could be announced at any time.  The fact you've heard nothing about Toub leads me to believe he's not even a candidate.

According to reports, the McDaniels interview went "very well."  Why haven't we heard anything else?  It's only been 5-6 days.  The Colts had other coaches they wanted to interview and the Pats have a playoff game this weekend.  He couldn't be hired for nearly a month anyway.

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV was just saying on his radio show that he's hearing the Colts have "cooled" on McDaniels. FWIW

Who knows what is true, but perhaps the interview went "very well" from his perspective and not theirs.  

11 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

By 2 years u think?

For me, yeah. I thought we should have moved on after 2015, not because he did a bad job that year (which is another topic, but 8-8 without Luck for 9 games isn't terrible), but because I didn't think he was a good enough coach to get us to the SB. 

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am not a fan of either of them. I did not like Mangini when he came to the Jets. You live in this area. Does Matt Patricia seem like a Giants type coach? He is the coach that wore that t-shirt portraying Goodell as a clown. I can't see him pulling that with the Giants. I have a good friend whose family have been season ticket holders for over 50 years. I will ask him what he thinks. I like Shurmur or Wilks for the Giants and the Colts.

No way. He’s be a perfect fit for the Jets, but the Giants organization and their fan base here is pretty classy. They want discipline. Wilks would be perfect for them but I want him for the Colts.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Debatable. He was a 1 year DC who was surprised that he even got the job and wasn’t on any “hot lists”.

The team progressed rapidly, had some big wins in Year 2, got to the AFCCG in Year 3, and then fell off. He was basically the equivalent of Mike Smith.

Jeff Fisher to the Rams was a bad hire. Jim Tomsula was a bad hire. Marc Trestman, Greg Schiano, etc. Pagano wasn't a very bad hire, he wasn't even a bad hire. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No way. He’s be a perfect fit for the Jets, but the Giants organization and their fan base here is pretty classy. They want discipline. Wilks would be perfect for them but I want him for the Colts.

My thoughts exactly. He looks like a Jets head coach. I will be surprised if the Giants hired Patricia, but stranger things have happened.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They’ve been the quietest on the HC front and they’re the wildcard IMO.

I could see him with them too, but they already have a high ranked defense so I see no need to change their scheme which is what will happen if you hire Wilks there. 

I know we haven't interviewed Wilks yet but this mystery candidate really has me thinking we could wind up hiring a college coach.  A college coach is really taking a big chance that an interview could eventually get out.  It could ruin his entire program if he doesn't get the job.  One would assume they would have talked on the phone in length before the interview and the fact that he is coming in after the majority of the interviews is an indication nothing has really been decided.  If I was the college coach I don't think I would risk it unless I felt confident I was going to be the guy.  Really confident.  I'm bracing for a surprise hire.  Either way you got to love the drama. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It is not only because of his wife, but there are 2 other issues.  First is Alabama pays Saban 11 million per year. He’s not taking Less to go back to the NFL, and to think folks went ballistic over Gruden getting10 million per...

Next is Saban has been quoted as saying he might still be coaching in the NFL if he had gotten Drew Brees.  Unless it is a sure bet Luck will be healthy, he’s not even thinking of chatting to his wife.  And Ballard has no interest in a guy waiting for Luck medical reports before deciding.

so much speculation with little substance out there.

Actually Saban gets 6.9 million per year, but this year he received a 4 million dollar signing bonus which put him at the approximate 11 million.

28 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Actually Saban gets 6.9 million per year, but this year he received a 4 million dollar signing bonus which put him at the approximate 11 million.

Ok, that’s better, but then I found this nugget.  It appears to be in between somewhere-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/05/02/nick-saban-alabama-contract-extension/101191514/

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I had the exact same thought when i read that, especially number 4..... Saban though, he's not leaving Alabama, his wife has already made that clear. 

Let's pretend she makes Nick's career decisions. 

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV was just saying on his radio show that he's hearing the Colts have "cooled" on McDaniels. FWIW

That's was right after he claimed to be hearing zero information coming from the colts.  I guess a lil bird must of told him.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Same thing about McDaniels. He’s stood on the sideline by B.B. holding a clipboard and get credited as being the mastermind of part of New England’s greatness.

For the 10000th time BB runs the D he isn't running everything under the sun it's impossible. he's HC GM and runs the D I'm sure josh is way more involved than BB. But you have this man crush on wilks cause you have no proof that he has failed like Josh has before.

53 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

For the 10000th time BB runs the D he isn't running everything under the sun it's impossible. he's HC GM and runs the D I'm sure josh is way more involved than BB. But you have this man crush on wilks cause you have no proof that he has failed like Josh has before.

He may not call the plays for the offense but you’re crazy if you don’t think that unique Patriots offense is B.B. They were good without McDaniels. Everything good about the Pats starts with B.B. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Especially when that guy is now available to be hired right away.

Yeah part of me wants to wonder if he's not trying to lure a certain someone from retirement

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

That's was right after he claimed to be hearing zero information coming from the colts.  I guess a lil bird must of told him.

Yep, and I went back and listened to what he said he said that the notion they interviewed some mystery coach MAY suggest that they've cooled on Mc Daniels but that he didn't have any information whatsoever to suggest that. He also went on a 10 minute speech about how he couldn't get a single word from any of his inside sources. 

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He may not call the plays for the offense but you’re crazy if you don’t think that unique Patriots offense is B.B. They were good without McDaniels. Everything good about the Pats starts with B.B. 

They were the best when Josh was there so yeah I'm sure he's pretty damn important 

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They were the best when Josh was there so yeah I'm sure he's pretty damn important 

I'm not silly enough to believe Mcdaniels doesn't know what he's doing.  He'd produce if he came here and then D  Jamz would say its really Luck who did it.   He don't like to admit when he's being extreme.  If Mcdaniels brought that system here it would work just like it worked for Deshaun Watson and Obrien.   And BB ain't standing on the sidelines telling Obrien what to do.   The key is you need a decent QB like with anything else.  My doubts with Mcdaniels are people related not so much performance. 

Soo apparently the Colts interviewed Baylor HC, Matt Rhule, earlier this week. Could that be the completely underwhelming secret interview?

"SOURCES: Baylor coach Matt Rhule interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching vacancy earlier this week. Rhule, who completed his first season with the Bears in November, spent the 2012 season as the New York Giants offensive line coach."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40015230-4

EDIT: Just saw the thread for this, nvm.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Soo apparently the Colts interviewed Baylor HC, Matt Rhule, earlier this week. Could that be the completely underwhelming secret interview?

"SOURCES: Baylor coach Matt Rhule interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching vacancy earlier this week. Rhule, who completed his first season with the Bears in November, spent the 2012 season as the New York Giants offensive line coach."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40015230-4

Mannnn is that a joke?

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Mannnn is that a joke?

1 minute ago, Restored said:

Well that was underwhelming to say the least.

Until I see it confirmed from the Colts themselves, I'm gonna follow JMVs advice and chalk it up to a rumor. Ballard has such a tight lip going on over there on W 56th st, no one knows what truly is their thinking

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Until I see it confirmed from the Colts themselves, I'm gonna follow JMVs advice and chalk it up to a rumor. Ballard has such a tight lip going on over there on W 56th st, no one knows what truly is their thinking

I’m willing to bet it’s true. Those type of things are really tough to keep secret for any length of time.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

I’m willing to bet it’s true. Those type of things are really tough to keep secret for any length of time.

Perhaps. But it could also be they interviewed more than one "secret" candidate too. I'm just enjoying the show as I really don't care who they hire. 

6 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Anyone else think we'll know the coach by the weekend? If it's not McDaniels, he'll be hired, since the teams are out of the playoffs. If it is McDaniels, no one will be hired.

Yep that's what I said earlier, minus the actually calling out of McDaniels by name