Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If the report is accurate, he has no plans to interview with us. Not we don't have any plans to interview him. 

That makes it sound like he's turning us down. 

That makes him look bad then and makes no sense. If Ballard called him and wanted to interview him and he said no, does that make sense? It doesn't - nobody would do that. We probably didn't want to interview him as of now because we are going in a different direction and Wilks realized this so he is just moving on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The more you think about it McDaniels was the first interview of all the candidates.  It was his to lose.  If you believe Rap he still looks to be the frontrunner and there are no reports of any other names.  This could be over. 

I think it is over but then again I thought the Chiefs would smoke the Titans.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This could mean that Wilks knows we already have a guy in our sights or that he himself has an offer on the table he's willing to pounce on. I'm on record as wanting McDaniels, but I doubt we get him. For no other reasoning that I never get what I want lol.

It appears that he’s the only one left if we are focusing on offensive guys.  Ruhle pulled his name out and told Baylor he’s staying.  This is pending any other unknown candidates.

2 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Accord to Rapsheet Mark Ruhle has informed Baylor that he will be staying with the school after interviewing with us. 

This is the best news I've heard all day. 

You'd think that if we were going to interview Toub we'd have done so by now. I'm starting to wonder if we will at all. It's starting to look like McDaniels is the only realistic option left. 

3 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

It appears that he’s the only one left if we are focusing on offensive guys.  Ruhle pulled his name out and told Baylor he’s staying.  This is pending any other unknown candidates.

Seems like it. Perhaps the rumors that the Colts were cooling on McDaniels is because maybe he knows he's their main option and he's making demands about salary, years, or roster control that we wont budge on? All speculation on my part. I do hope he's the guy.

2 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Oh man...why do I have a bad feeling about our next HC? Media is making it look like no one wants to coach the Colts. 

Hope i’m wrong but preparing to be dissapointed. 

I don’t think the general media is.  Bears bloggers for sure but, I think this may have been a situation where Wilks called or Chris called him and said “hey we are looking to go in an offensive direction but it’s not set if you still want to come in for an interview. 

3 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Oh man...why do I have a bad feeling about our next HC? Media is making it look like no one wants to coach the Colts. 

Negativity sells... Positive stories are short lived. This has been a spiraling event for the past couple of years between the Colts and the media.

The dead silence doesn’t help curb any speculations.

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Negativity sells... Positive stories are short lived. This has been a spiraling event for the past couple of years between the Colts and the media.

The dead silence doesn’t help curb any speculations.

The media having negative issues with the Colts go back a lot longer than a couple of years.  It started with Michael Wilbon  calling Jim no better than his father.  Then add the fact the Colts called out the media's golden boy. So it's been going on for at least 6 years ago.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The media having negative issues with the Colts go back a lot longer than a couple of years.  It started with Michael Wilbon  calling Jim no better than his father.  Then add the fact the Colts called out the media's golden boy. So it's been going on for at least 6 years ago.

Gosh that’s true... 2011 and early 2012...

1 hour ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

The media is speculating. It is people who follow and repeat their speculation enough times that it makes it look possible. 

I seriously doubt that the front office gives a rats pitutie what the media thinks. I'm good with that. 

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

The media is speculating. It is people who follow and repeat their speculation enough times that it makes it look possible. 

I seriously doubt that the front office gives a rats pitutie what the media thinks. I'm good with that. 

I agree. The media would hate me if I was a Player or Coach because I would say very little and cut my interviews short after games. Reason being the more you say, the more they can twist things. Too many media people love the negative story too. I could say something to the media like - LeBron James is a Great player but he isn't Top 5 of all-time, I would say Top 10. The media in general would probably print - 2006 disses LeBron James, doesn't think he is close to being better than Michael Jordan. The media can be very cunning and twisting individuals at times haha. In reality that isn't even a diss toward LeBron in saying he is a Top 10 player ever out of a million players but that is an example of how the media flows.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Just food for thought...

2. Frank Reich. Name to watch.

I'm surprised he hasn't been interviewed anywhere yet, but I also don't believe that he's a legit candidate at this time, because Brad Wells is an *.

1 hour ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think this may have been a situation where Wilks called or Chris called him and said “hey we are looking to go in an offensive direction but it’s not set if you still want to come in for an interview. 

This is exactly how I pictured it going based on the tweet.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

patriots need to lose so we can get mcdaniels and not be left with slim pickings for the rest of the staff

If the Patriots lose, McDaniels gets hammered by our fans just like Nagy got hammered for KC losing. There is no win situation here. Either wait a month for McDaniels and raise the anxiety levels of your fanbase, or hire the other guy that lost to the Titans.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is the best news I've heard all day. 

You'd think that if we were going to interview Toub we'd have done so by now. I'm starting to wonder if we will at all. It's starting to look like McDaniels is the only realistic option left. 

The more time that goes by, the more it looks like it won't be Toub. If he were the guy, they could hire him now.

I was thinking maybe they were waiting for the Wilks interview which was scheduled for Thursday, but now that's apparently not going to happen. They also did the clandestine Rhule interview this week. Now that it seems that's all done, I'll say if they don't name Toub the head coach over the weekend, he's not the guy. And that's being generous; if he were the guy, it probably would have happened already, based on how closely he's been linked with Ballard for the last three years.

All that said, and the more time that goes by, it seems like the hay is in the barn. Since they haven't announced anyone yet, they're probably waiting for someone whose team is still in the playoffs.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

If the Patriots lose, McDaniels gets hammered by our fans just like Nagy got hammered for KC losing. There is no win situation here. Either wait a month for McDaniels and raise the anxiety levels of your fanbase, or hire the other guy that lost to the Titans.

McDaniels actually has a significant coaching history to look at. That Titans game was like 1/9th of Nagys entire history as a playcaller. In principal I agree with what you are saying, but as far Nagy goes you can’t blame people too much for it. 

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nagy got hammered for blowing an 18 point lead at home, & not giving the ball to Kareem Hunt. I don’t see the Pats blowing a 21-3 lead in New England.

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

The more time that goes by, the more it looks like it won't be Toub. If he were the guy, they could hire him now.

I was thinking maybe they were waiting for the Wilks interview which was scheduled for Thursday, but now that's apparently not going to happen. They also did the clandestine Rhule interview this week. Now that it seems that's all done, I'll say if they don't name Toub the head coach over the weekend, he's not the guy. And that's being generous; if he were the guy, it probably would have happened already, based on how closely he's been linked with Ballard for the last three years.

All that said, and the more time that goes by, it seems like the hay is in the barn. Since they haven't announced anyone yet, they're probably waiting for someone whose team is still in the playoffs.

Yeah, IMO the scenarios are really two and they are polar opposites:

1. The Colts are zeroing in on a candidate and others are getting word of it and dropping off first. Lets call it already - it looks like the guy is McDaniels. This would mean both that we are getting the coach we really wanted and the coach most of the league was high on and that the coach is OK with the Luck situation(i.e. they expect him to be ready to go next season)

2. We are screwed! Coaches are dropping off because they don't like the situation with Luck and Ballard is not giving them any guarantees he will be back. 

IMO 1 is much more likely since it's the strongest of candidates(or at least the ones that were favorites for our job to begin with) that are left in the running(Toub, McDaniels), 

49 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Nagy got hammered for blowing an 18 point lead at home, & not giving the ball to Kareem Hunt. I don’t see the Pats blowing a 21-3 lead in New England.

I rewatched the second half of the game. The biggest problem of that game for KC was not the offensive playcalling (although it could have been better). The biggest problem was that their defense couldn't get off the field in the second half. This is part of the reason for the low number of touches Hunt got - their offense didn't get many touches to begin with. 

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's a combination of things, I'm guessing 

They were interested in McDaniels, but, as in Denver, Josh still feels like he deserves Belichick-style treatment... without the resume.  

Nagy was plan B.  So much for that.

Now it's on to plan C or D.

One thing that is stressing me totally out: If we don't get an offensive-minded HC, what is left on the OC market if we want top shelf quality? Not much as far as I can see. We could retain Chud, but I would rather poke my eyeballs out. 

McDaniels could call the plays and find an up-and-coming OC from the college ranks and teach him up. Then we could get Kris, DC from the Seahawks, and things would look solid. 

If we get a defensive-minded coach, we could be in trouble. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, #12. said:

They were interested in McDaniels, but, as in Denver, Josh still feels like he deserves Belichick-style treatment... without the resume.  

And this is partly why I dont want him. The other part odd that he can't draft for his life, and can't coach without TB.

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Reports today suggest that Patricia is headed to the Giants. 

Thanks, forgot about that

4 hours ago, #12. said:

Well the big question is, based on the numerous reports last week was that McDaniels  understood he had too much control too fast and wanted to go to a team with a solid GM who brings in players he needs. That doesn't sound like McDaniels wanting the hoodie treatment or full control either

39 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Concerned that we haven't heard from @krunk since the news of Wilks not coming was announced.

Can only assume he is in his local dive bar drinking heavily!

Interesting to hear what he thinks now for the best option?

haha

9 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

And this is partly why I dont want him. The other part odd that he can't draft for his life, and can't coach without TB.

Not a proponent of McDaniels, but there is some evidence he can coach without Brady..... he won games including a playoff game with Tim freaking Tebow

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Thanks, forgot about that

Well the big question is, based on the numerous reports last week was that McDaniels  understood he had too much control too fast and wanted to go to a team with a solid GM who brings in players he needs. That doesn't sound like McDaniels wanting the hoodie treatment or full control either

haha

Not a proponent of McDaniels, but there is some evidence he can coach without Brady..... he won games including a playoff game with Tim freaking Tebow

That was the defense, his offenses were crap.

4 hours ago, #12. said:

They were interested in McDaniels, but, as in Denver, Josh still feels like he deserves Belichick-style treatment... without the resume.  ....

Such would be contrary to the article that’s been floating around about McDaniels’ lessons learned from his failed stint in Denver. 

If it’s true that nothing can be finalized due to the Pats still being in the playoffs, we might not hear anything more for three more weeks.  To this, the silence from the Colts seems rather telling.   At this point, I will be surprised if McDaniels is not the new coach of the Colts.