Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow, this may take a few more months, only to then hire Taub.  I think it's a charade and Taub will be hired.  I hope I am wrong and that everyone truly had a chance.  If McDaniels wasn't available, I'd agree with giving Taub a fighting chance in an interview head-up against the other top 3 candidates, but since McDaniels is available, I think it should have been a no-brainer (i also realize you have to wait until after the first week of february due to the fact New England will be in the Super Bowl)

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Weirdness happening. Is it possible we are getting him to be our DC? 

We might end up having a good choice for a staff after a HC hire! A lot of good experience out there looking for jobs. Lateral moves for these guys wouldn't surprise me too much at this point. Still wonder if Ballard has an ace up his sleeve with how tight all the info from them has been. What they don't want out, doesn't get out. This makes me wonder that if what actually does get out is all smoke and mirrors...

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Weirdness happening. Is it possible we are getting him to be our DC? 

Might have been why they interviewed him. If they can get Richard as DC (I would still rather have Holcomb)...then no reason to go with a defensive-minded HC.

Just now, krunk said:

What makes him like Pagano other than you spouting off random career path stuff?  You don't even know why you're being negative.

Specifically you stated "players past and present gave him rave reviews" to which I replied, players also raved about Pagano and that didn't turn out well. Players raving about a coaching means nothing. I stated exactly why I was being negative. I guess you missed that

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Why is Wilks a hot name? I don't know much about him but it appears he hasn't even been a play calling coordinator for more than a year in the NFL. That type of hire screams Pagano all over again IMO

Based on his press conferences, he seems like a guy who would nail HC interviews.

And it's pretty slim-pickings, not many good candidates on paper.

The secret interview could've also been a college coach, like David Shaw.  Logic for keeping it secret would be not to scare recruits in case the guy (in this case Shaw) didn't take the job.

Otherwise, I think the interview was "secret" because word just happened not to leak. Or Ballard put it together at the last minute or something.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Specifically you stated "players past and present gave him rave reviews" to which I replied, players also raved about Pagano and that didn't turn out well. Players raving about a coaching means nothing. I stated exactly why I was being negative. I guess you missed that

You can always go with this reference.  BUT there are other successful coaches that players raved about as well outside of the one you can refer to.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I wonder if Pete Carroll is considering leaving? This is odd indeed. 

Lots of weird things happening this off-season that could maybe/possibly be affecting coaching changes. Saw an article that a few people are even suggesting that Hoodie may be considering an exit from NE to go to NYG, a job he's always coveted apparently, (although I know he & Kraft are on record as saying he will "absolutely" return next season).

Ha, Maybe we fans are just impatient here in the 21st century...

4 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Obviously it is good that players rave rave about a coach. However sometimes that doesn't mean he would be a good HC. Maybe the coach doesn't get after his players like he should.

1 minute ago, Finball said:

And it's pretty slim-pickings, not many good candidates on paper.

That's what worries me the most about this. 

We had to let Pagano go, that's for sure. It's time for a change. But who do we get that can right the ship and get us back into contention in the future?

There aren't too many coaches out there with NFL head coaching experience. Each candidate seems like a risk to me. 

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

Lots of weird things happening this off-season that could maybe/possibly be affecting coaching changes. Saw an article that a few people are even suggesting that Hoodie may be considering an exit from NE to go to NYG, a job he's always coveted aparently, (although I know he & Kraft are on record as saying he will "absolutely" return next season).

Ha, Maybe we fans are just impatient here in the 21st century...

Welp, he did have huge success as the DC over there under Parcells. Anything can happen. Like going to the Jets, only to turn around and join the Patriots...

8 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yeah but that's doesn't make him Pagano like you're trying to imply.

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We had to let Pagano go, that's for sure. It's time for a change. But who do we get that can right the ship and get us back into contention in the future?

There aren't too many coaches out there with NFL head coaching experience. Each candidate seems like a risk to me. 

Ballard already said more than once that previous experience is not a deal breaker for him.  

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The secret interview could've also been a college coach, like David Shaw.  Logic for keeping it secret would be not to scare recruits in case the guy (in this case Shaw) didn't take the job.

Otherwise, I think the interview was "secret" because word just happened not to leak. Or Ballard put it together at the last minute or something.

George Bremer speculated that it's probably a college coach, too.. 

Just now, krunk said:

Ballard already said more than once that previous experience is not a deal breaker for him.  

You are correct. And that makes me a little nervous too. Though the only way to know if a young coach is head coaching material is to toss him out there and hope he flies. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

They carry some risk. But they also carry upside...which Pagano did not have. And I don't think upgrading Pagano will be that hard.

But the way this is shaping up...I think the Colts could create quite the coaching staff with the names out there.

The main issue might be having the DC and/or OC leaving in a season or two for a HC job. But that would be a first-world problem as far as the Colts are concerned.

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would the colts need to be secretive about Toub?  Nobody is even calling him

For how secretive they're being, there's definitely something going on behind the scenes that's WAY bigger than just hiring a special teams coach that hasn't even interviewed with any other teams.

12 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Obviously it is good that players rave rave about a coach. However sometimes that doesn't mean he would be a good HC. Maybe the coach doesn't get after his players like he should.

The main reason they are raving about Wilks is because he gets after them and doesn't take any nonsense.   They are not saying he's a players coach in the mold of Rex Ryan and Pagano.    They are saying he's about business and does it in the right way.  That's the type of guy you need if you want to go places.  They all say he's a heck of a football coach.

10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've seen speculation that the secret interview could've also been a college coach, like David Shaw.  Logic for keeping it secret would be not to scare recruits in case the guy (in this case Shaw) didn't take the job.

If it wasn't on Monday (which apparently it was according to the webcast), then I might be tempted to speculate it was Saban. 

It likely wasn't...but what if it was a certain big name HC from Michigan. If the Colts went public that they were interviewing him, the majority of the fanbase would go crazy and wouldn't accept another hire at that point. 

I think a college coach is a good guess though. I don't see a reason to keep it quiet if it was one of the NFL guys...unless it was in fact a second interview.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For how secretive they're being, there's definitely something going on behind the scenes that's WAY bigger than just hiring a special teams coach that hasn't even interviewed with any other teams.

Yep...it's not Toub. It could be anything...but it would have to big. Things that come to mind (though highly unlikely):

1) Harbaugh

2) Saban

3) A second interview with one of the original candidates

4) Peyton Manning (being involved and/or present at the interview)

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.

It'd be funny if that "Ballard constructing a Super Staff" post turns out to be on the money, at least in idea.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You are correct. And that makes me a little nervous too. Though the only way to know if a young coach is head coaching material is to toss him out there and hope he flies. 

It’s not about former HC experience. Usually someone with former HC experience is someone who was fired for not performing adequately ( i.e. Josh McDaniels). So, while there’s retreads like Pete Carroll who end up turning it around with a 2nd chance, typically you don’t want to hire a former HC because he’s a “former” HC for good reason. It’s about finding the right guy. Pagano was just a very bad hire. A lot of current HCs are first timers. Mike Tomlin is a great example.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...it's not Toub. It could be anything...but it would have to big. Things that come to mind (though highly unlikely):

1) Harbaugh

2) Saban

3) A second interview with one of the original candidates

4) Peyton Manning (being involved and/or present at the interview)

The Harbaugh speculation is full-tilt on Reddit right now as well.