Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

20 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'll give the Bears credit.  They new right away yesterday and moved quickly.  If Ballard really knows who he wants he should move quickly now.  If he needs to wait for the Wilks interview then his mind is probably not made up.  I think Nagy's hiring will speed things up.  I hope we don't miss out on the guy he really wants. 

He’s in no rush. The guy he loves will also probably have the Colts as their top choice. I also don’t think it’s McDaniels because the fact that Nagy got hired before him means no one is impressed yet IMO. From the looks of it, Wilks is the hot candidate and that’s who the Colts have their eyes on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s in no rush. The guy he loves will also probably have the Colts as their top choice. I also don’t think it’s McDaniels because the fact that Nagy got hired before him means no one is impressed yet IMO. From the looks of it, Wilks is the hot candidate and that’s who the Colts have their eyes on.

How does Nagy being hired mean it's not McDaniels that makes no sense 

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

How does Nagy being hired mean it's not McDaniels that makes no sense 

Because the best OC who is interviewing for a HC job is probably McDaniels. If Nagy who’s only been a playcaller for 6 weeks got hired before McDaniels than that must mean none of the teams are that into McDaniels. Remember that the Bears also interviewed him. If the Bears didn’t want him, I’m not sure why the Colts would. Only other option is he turned the Bears down but I don’t see that as the case.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because the best OC who is interviewing for a HC job is probably McDaniels. If Nagy who’s only been a playcaller for 6 weeks got hired before McDaniels than that must mean none of the teams are that into McDaniels. Remember that the Bears also interviewed him. If the Bears didn’t want him, I’m not sure why the Colts would. Only other option is he turned the Bears down but I don’t see that as the case.

Why would the Colts follow what the Bears are doing? This is flawed reasoning. 

There was a big rumor that Nagy liked Trubisky since he was drafted and wanted to work with him so that might've been a factor.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don't judge the value of anything based on what the Bears do.

With the Bears, the issue may have been that Nagy was much more open to being a lap dog.

20 minutes ago, Restored said:

Why would the Colts follow what the Bears are doing? This is flawed reasoning. 

There was a big rumor that Nagy liked Trubisky since he was drafted and wanted to work with him so that might've been a factor.

Trubisky vs Luck? That’s not even a debate. But why would McDaniels not be as high on Trubisky? Why wouldn’t he want to work with a young QB with upside? You’re telling me the person who is being called one of the best offensive minds in football wasn’t as good a fit as another guy who has 1 month of playcalling experience because he really liked the young QB? Not buying it

12 minutes ago, buccolts said:

With the Bears, the issue may have been that Nagy was much more open to being a lap dog.

That’s a reach. Not saying that my assertion is bulletproof but we’re talking about something that would be harder to support than the idea that the Bears just weren’t that impressed with McDaniels.

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most think Josh is coming here and the bears freaked out and didn't wanna miss on the next best thing so they rushed the Nagy thing 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Trubisky vs Luck? That’s not even a debate. But why would McDaniels not be as high on Trubisky? Why wouldn’t he want to work with a young QB with upside? You’re telling me the person who is being called one of the best offensive minds in football wasn’t as good a fit as another guy who has 1 month of playcalling experience because he really liked the young QB? Not buying it

That’s a reach. Not saying that my assertion is bulletproof but we’re talking about something that would be harder to support than the idea that the Bears just weren’t that impressed with McDaniels.

McDaniels wants a patient owner and job security that's the complete opposite of the bears

26 minutes ago, buccolts said:

This! Pretty sure they are not letting the new HC make his staff heard they are trying to keep the DC Fangio

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You answer your own question in the first three sentences. McDaniels may not have liked the situation with Chicago as much as he might here. Indy has a lot to offer to a head coaching candidate with stable ownership, a well-connected GM, high draft pick this year and a really good franchise QB already in place that's already pretty well developed.The with the only reason question mark is Luck's health. But from what everyone has gathered, that likely won't be an issue either.

47 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Most think Josh is coming here and the bears freaked out and didn't wanna miss on the next best thing so they rushed the Nagy thing 

But they had the same opportunity to sign Josh as we did. He could have already been their HC (verbally) if they wanted.

44 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

McDaniels wants a patient owner and job security that's the complete opposite of the bears

Why wouldn’t Nagy want the same?

40 minutes ago, Restored said:

You answer your own question in the first three sentences. McDaniels may not have liked the situation with Chicago as much as he might here. Indy has a lot to offer to a head coaching candidate with stable ownership, a well-connected GM, high draft pick this year and a really good franchise QB already in place that's already pretty well developed.The with the only reason question mark is Luck's health. But from what everyone has gathered, that likely won't be an issue either.

Chicago’s situation is likely better though. Young QB, young franchise RB and a dynamic change of pace back, pieces on the OL. Indy has good ownership for sure but our situation is shaky depending how you view Luck’s health. Plus we’ve got a tough division that features 2 of the NFL’s top defenses.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Chicago’s situation is likely better though. Young QB, young franchise RB and a dynamic change of pace back, pieces on the OL. Indy has good ownership for sure but our situation is shaky depending how you view Luck’s health. Plus we’ve got a tough division that features 2 of the NFL’s top defenses.

No it's not. Colts have the opportunity to get a special RB, have a #1 WR, working pieces on the defense, ton of cap space and a good GM. You really think the NFC North is any easier with Minnesota and its defense and Aaron Rodgers and the Packers coming back next year? Detroit isn't a walkover for them either.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

No, it could be as simple as who's willing to do what we want, as opposed to bringing a new thought to the process.

The Bears, that is.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But they had the same opportunity to sign Josh as we did. He could have already been their HC (verbally) if they wanted.

Why wouldn’t Nagy want the same?

As I said the bears are looking to lock up Fangio Josh prolly wanted his own staff and as someone else said Nagy might have been on board with being told what to do Josh was not 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Or, a team offered McDaniels a job and he turned it down.  Remember, he's turned down several interview requests in the past few years and has withdrawn his name from the running for several teams.  It could very well have happened again this year but just not been leaked yet.  You're making assumptions.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because the best OC who is interviewing for a HC job is probably McDaniels. If Nagy who’s only been a playcaller for 6 weeks got hired before McDaniels than that must mean none of the teams are that into McDaniels. Remember that the Bears also interviewed him. If the Bears didn’t want him, I’m not sure why the Colts would.

What? There can be all sorts of reasons why McDaniels isn’t a good fit in Chicago, but a good fit for Colts.

Didn't want to make a thread for it or anything but does anybody else think Chud goes back to Carolina?

They fired Shula and are reportedly going after a veteran hire. I don't think highly of Chud or anything but it wouldn't surprise me if they are thinking about calling him.

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Didn't want to make a thread for it or anything but does anybody else think Chud goes back to Carolina?

They fired Shula and are reportedly going after a veteran hire. I don't think highly of Chud or anything but it wouldn't surprise me if they are thinking about calling him.

as long as he goes, I don't care where it's to lol

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Both of The Giants co-owners will be attending the Steve Wilkes interview, they may not let Wilks leave the building unsigned.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/09/giants-will-have-both-co-owners-in-for-steve-wilks-interview/

Wilks might not get to us on Thursday.  Giants putting the full court press on.  I think we will know who our coach is pretty soon. This is Ballard's first hire. Two out of his five interviews could be gone.  I'm hoping we wind up with his first choice.  But I guess we will never know.  

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wilks might not get to us on Thursday.  Giants putting the full court press on.  I think we will know who our coach is pretty soon. This is Ballard's first hire. Two out of his five interviews could be gone.  I'm hoping we wind up with his first choice.  But I guess we will never know.  

Could see that happening to NY as GM now is from Carolina organization before. If Toub or Josh; rather see Josh. If Vrabel or Richards, I think we will all fall off the chair. Really surprised not much  name dropping here for Eagles or Vikings OC's who should be considered compared to Vrabel and Richards.

The other downside to waiting is possibly missing out on top choices at either coordinator position. Then again that would happen anyway with McDaniels if he reaches the SB. Although I imagine he'd reach out to people if/after he verbally accepts an offer.

You'd think whoever we hire we're either going to need a really solid OC or DC.

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, the Giants know they need to make a move. I wouldn't be surprised if Patricia has verbally accepted the Lions job and if the Giants wanted to lock up Wilks before the Cards/Colts interview.

I know Ballard said patience was key in this process but this is what I was worried about. Now he might only have all of McDaniels, Vrabel, and Richard to choose from if Wilks goes to NY. 

Wouldn't you think Ballard and Irsay would know who their top candidate is by now?  Even before the interviews started they probably had an idea.  Could it be that there was no real frontrunner?  I can see doing the interviews just to make sure but you don't want to risk losing your guy.  Let's keep our fingers crossed we get our first choice.  I'm starting to wonder. 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I think this is probably right. They may have liked McDaniels but didn't want to wait until after the Super Bowl and potentially lose out (Since guys like La Canfora and Mike Garafolo think he's the favorite for Indy). They know the Colts had interest in Nagy too so the rushed to close the deal on the guy they could. Nagy also was willing to keep their DC where I guess McDaniels was not.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wouldn't you think Ballard and Irsay would know who their top candidate is by now?  Even before the interviews started they probably had an idea.  Could it be that there was no real frontrunner?  I can see doing the interviews just to make sure but you don't want to risk losing your guy.  Let's keep our fingers crossed we get our first choice.  I'm starting to wonder. 

I imagine Ballard went in pretty open with a possible lean toward certain names, but with an emphasis on finding the right guy. I doubt there was a huge front runner going in though. Irsay I could see having a preference but mostly wanting to leave the search to Ballard.

There could be a lot of scenarios taking place. Could be as simple as Ballard being patient, not worried about losing out on guys, wanting to get through second round of interviews. Or there could be some scrambling.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Patience is a virtue.  He who hesitates is lost.

The Owners for the Giants have a preference for an experienced head coach and I believe I heard that's what the Cardinals are looking for as well. They say the Cardinals have significant interest in Shurmur also.    Wilks may actually make it to our interview on Thursday.  At least that's what I'm hoping.....