Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Is McDaniels a minority guy ? Just kidding as we all know he's not. If he were , the Colts could just do the Thursday interview and announce it when NE's season was over. I give it like 80% McDaniels and a 20% chance its Richard or Nagy. 

If he's their guy, they'll have plenty of time to work out the particulars and do all their due diligence. Seems like the Pats are going all the way this year again. 

I'm very curious about how many candidates they're going to interview. So far, just one minority that we know of.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

If he's their guy, they'll have plenty of time to work out the particulars and do all their due diligence. Seems like the Pats are going all the way this year again. 

I'm very curious about how many candidates they're going to interview. So far, just one minority that we know of.

Steve Wilks and Kris Richard? 

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm thinking that if the Colts want McDaniels and he wants to coach here , they probably will have a deal made before Monday . By deal.. I mean verbal agreement. If the Pats go o the SB , he can't be interviewed until the week following the AFCCG. Then he's "off limits" again during SB week. Seems to me that it most likely works that way as the jobs will get filled by candidates from non playoff teams or teams that lose in the playoffs.  I think it will be a short list and if you hear nothing easy on , it's for sure McDaniels.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'm thinking that if the Colts want McDaniels and he wants to coach here , they probably will have a deal made before Monday . By deal.. I mean verbal agreement. If the Pats go o the SB , he can't be interviewed until the week following the AFCCG. Then he's "off limits" again during SB week. Seems to me that it most likely works that way as the jobs will get filled by candidates from non playoff teams or teams that lose in the playoffs.  I think it will be a short list and if you hear nothing easy on , it's for sure McDaniels.

That's evidently what the Niners did with Shanahan last year. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Belichick hired Weis in 2000 when he took the job. Weis installed his offense and ran it until he left in 2005. McDaniels joined the staff in 2001. He eventually became the QB coach, and worked directly with Brady, under Weis. McDaniels took over offensive play calling in 2005, and was named the OC/QB coach in 2006, until he left in 2009.

No question Belichick knows the system, but the succession plan is why the offense has endured all these years through three different coordinators.

The Erhardt-Perkins offense was developed in New England in the 1970s.  They've used essentially the same offense for 40 plus years. Well before Weiss.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I believe it's 2? Wilks and Richard 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

That's evidently what the Niners did with Shanahan last year. 

I suppose they could "cheat " a bit and confirm things with a phone call say for instance next Tuesday. Wouldn't really be an "interview" and would hardly be "screwing" NE . Maybe it's even accepted and pretty much allowed ? 

3 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

I read last night and sorry for no link that Toub has been connected to having DeFilippo as his OC.  DeFilippo's contract is over with Philly (I believe).  This was from a blog so don't truly know how accurate.

This sounds like a very good outcome for our coaching and coordinator spots. 

Toub-Pettine-DeFilippo+keeping MacMahon would be a pretty good result of our search IMO. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's probably there, just not mentioned in the tweet. 

It's either gonna be him or Nagy I'm sure. both are great young offensive minds they even said they want someone to coach for the next like 12 to 15 years bet it's a young guy 

Here's the full list by Bovada for the Colts head coaching spot:

Matt Nagy +300

Dave Toub +325

Jim Harbaugh +400

Josh McDaniels +600

Mike Vrabel +600

David Shaw +600

Todd Haley +1000

Frank Reich +1000

Peyton Manning +10000

Worth pointing out this was posted on Saturday before the list of our interviews was leaked and before it became apparent Harbaugh is returning to Michigan. 

Here's some interesting things:

-Matt Patricia is prohibitive favorite for the Lions job at -125

-McDaniels has the same odds for being the Colts coach as he does to be Bears coach and he's at +1000 to be the Lions coach

-Pretty much all candidates for the Bears job are OCs - top 6 - Shurmur and Nagy(+300), McDaniels and DeFilippo(+600), Haley and Reich (+700)... 

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He would run a 4-3 though right? I think that’s what he ran with the Browns and even the Jets.

''It’s a situation where I think people try to compartmentalize too much and just broad stroke it 3-4, 4-3, what are you? And my answer to that question is yes to all of the above,” Pettine told Buffalobills.com. “We are a multiple front, attacking, pressure-style defense. We’re going to play man coverage, we’re going to play zone coverage. What we’re going to do defensively is take advantage of what our players do well.

“I’m not bringing in a defense, this is going to be the Buffalo Bills defense. It’s going to be built around the explosive athletes that are here. Again starting with the front and that’s the solid foundation here and moving to the linebackers and secondary stacked behind them. It made the decision so much easier for me looking at the roster.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/10/pettine-on-defensive-philosophy/

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's the full list by Bovada for the Colts head coaching spot:

Matt Nagy +300

Dave Toub +325

Jim Harbaugh +400

Josh McDaniels +600

Mike Vrabel +600

David Shaw +600

Todd Haley +1000

Frank Reich +1000

Peyton Manning +10000

Worth pointing out this was posted on Saturday before the list of our interviews was leaked and before it became apparent Harbaugh is returning to Michigan. 

Here's some interesting things:

-Matt Patricia is prohibitive favorite for the Lions job at -125

-McDaniels has the same odds for being the Colts coach as he does to be Bears coach and he's at +1000 to be the Lions coach

-Pretty much all candidates for the Bears job are OCs - top 6 - Shurmur and Nagy(+300), McDaniels and DeFilippo(+600), Haley and Reich (+700)... 

Well Harbaugh could be never to 1

On 1/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, stitches said:

I don't know if McDermott is reliable. He only has about 4K followers but is local journalist. Noone else has reported officially that we've asked for interviews with Matt Nagy and Dave Toub. 

I'm actually having a discussion with ESPN's Mike Wells about this very issue.   His stories do not list Taub and Nagy as candidates that we've asked to talk to.  

I asked why...   he replied we have not officially asked yet...    that seems strange to me...   if true, why are we waiting to ask?

9 hours ago, Roger said:

The Erhardt-Perkins offense was developed in New England in the 1970s.  They've used essentially the same offense for 40 plus years. Well before Weiss.

I don't know about that. I know it was developed by them in the '70s, but Pete Carroll's coordinators were Larry Kennan, a WCO guy, and Ernie Zampese, a Coryell guy.

Before that, Parcells still had Ray Perkins and the EP. And of course, Belichick is from the Parcells tree.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mom actually having a discussion with ESPN's Mike Wells about this very issue.   His stories do not list Taub and Nagy as candidates that we've asked to talk to.  

I asked why...   he replied we have not officially asked yet...    that seems strange to me...   if true, why are we waiting to ask?

They can't interview until after the wild card games. I assumed they haven't asked yet because of that, but they didn't wait to ask for Wilks, so... IDK

And it could be that they have asked, but it hasn't gotten out yet. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mom actually having a discussion with ESPN's Mike Wells about this very issue.   His stories do not list Taub and Nagy as candidates that we've asked to talk to.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

They can't interview until after the wild card games. I assumed they haven't asked yet because of that, but they didn't wait to ask for Wilks, so... IDK

Maybe it's a question of scheduling? Like they don't want to overload their schedule right now and would ask for permission of those next week? 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Maybe it's a question of scheduling? Like they don't want to overload their schedule right now and would ask for permission of those next week? 

Maybe, but you can request permission without scheduling the interview. And we know they can't interview them until after next weekend. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Or, familiarity makes it less urgent, for now.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

could be they do in fact like Mcdaniels and are simply interviewing Wilks due to the Rooney rule and that way they can knock out that and be ready to offer McDaniels the job?  Not a proponent of McDaniels but Im just thinking out loud

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else think Nagy screams pagano 2.0

I am not sure why the comparison with Pagano, but I also would like many others over him.

Pagano called the D plays for the Ravens for a year.  Nagy has never called plays period.  Andy Reid is the play caller.