Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do We Do With a Top 5 Pick?

Defjamz26

Like others have said we desperately need a pass rusher, but part of me thinks the front office will go ALL IN to get an oline to protect whoever is qb going forward.

I'd go pass rusher, but if I'm guessing I honestly see Oline because of how inconsistent they are.

And can we please have Vujo's walking papers 15 minutes after the last game.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Luck, isn't throwing a football by March you draft best available quarterback.  I would rather have Lamar Jackson or Josh Rosen that to reach for OT Mike McGlinchey at the number four or five spot.  Offensive line talent can be had in rounds 2-4. 

Jacoby Brissett is getting better each week but you take best player available, even if it's a quarterback. 

It depends.....I'm all in for Quenton Nelson.....I feel he's more elite at his position than any of the pass rushers are at theirs....if the Colts are in the top 5 you take elite prospects....and this year the pass rushers are very good but not elite. He's elite and in a position vof need. Hard to pass up.

If Luck is finished - QB.

If Luck is ready - OL or pass rusher, then grab another QB to develop in the 3rd or 4th.  

Depends on what you can do in free agency.  If you can address the O-line in free agency, you probably go pass rusher, as top pass rushers rarely come available in free agency.  

Of course if Simon comes back, plays well and Basham shows something, that could influence your thinking.  Sheard is certainly trending up.

51 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Luck is finished - QB.

If Luck is ready - OL or pass rusher, then grab another QB to develop in the 3rd or 4th.  

Depends on what you can do in free agency.  If you can address the O-line in free agency, you probably go pass rusher, as top pass rushers rarely come available in free agency.  

Of course if Simon comes back, plays well and Basham shows something, that could influence your thinking.  Sheard is certainly trending up.

FA will be a huge factor, I agree.  If Luck were healthy though the last thing we need to do is waste a pick in the 3rd or 4th for a 3rd string QB.  JB has shown he is more than capable of being our backup for the next few years.

39 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

If Luck were healthy though the last thing we need to do is waste a pick in the 3rd or 4th for a 3rd string QB.  JB has shown he is more than capable of being our backup 

Backup, yes.  

With Luck's serious injury history, you will never be able to count on him playing 16 games.  Moving forward, the idea of Luck playing 16 games a season for the next 7-8 years isn't even a thought in my mind.  As it stands, we'll be lucky if he plays, period.

Even if Luck is "ready" for 2018, you almost have to draft and develop another QB to compete with Brissett.  By drafting another QB, you double your odds and hope one of them can turn into starter material if Luck goes down again.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Backup, yes.  

With Luck's serious injury history, you will never be able to count on him playing 16 games.  Moving forward, the idea of Luck playing 16 games a season for the next 7-8 years isn't even a thought in my mind.  As it stands, we'll be lucky if he plays, period.

Even if Luck is "ready" for 2018, you almost have to draft and develop another QB to compete with Brissett.  By drafting another QB, you double your odds and hope one of them can turn into starter material if Luck goes down again.

You just mentioned Luck being ready.  With all of that being said, assuming Luck is ready for the 2018 season I will also assume we address the O-line.  In which case I bet he does play more than 14 games for as long as we keep that o-line efficient for him.  If he misses a game here or there JB is your backup.  Now you can still bring in competition and even someone you hope to take JB's spot if you trade him or even when he walks in FA.  I would not spend the pick this year though, that is all I am saying.  Not an early pick as you suggested.  Grab another flyer (UDFA) and see if they can show something and stash them on the PS or maybe ride 3 QB's again (I hope not).

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Backup, yes.  

Brissett WAS a 3rd round pick and I think it is safe to assume that Luck WILL be back next year, or for sure the year after.  Thus, Brissett  is exactly what you are saying the Colts should pick.  I am hearing redundancy in what you are advocating and I think to do so would be a needless waste of a pick.  OLs, LBs, DBs, that’s what the Colts need to concentrate on.  Besides, without a competent OL, no QB will thrive.  For the sake of Luck or whomever the QB is, you HAVE to fix the OL once and for all.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:10 PM, Defjamz26 said:

First of all I'll have to say that I finally get it now. I've talked in the past about how great it would be if the Colts got a top 5 or top 10 pick, but seeing the Colts picking number 4 overall in most mock drafts is weird. It feels so wrong. 

But with that being sad, it seems like this is the year where talks of the Colts being one of the worst teams in the NFL may actually have some merit to it. A top 5 pick actually seems highly likely. The question is, what do we even do with that pick? So many needs. The can't miss prospect is a RB yet we have no line for him to run through. There probably isn't a top 5 worthy OT either. Trade down but IDK which QB is worth jumping into the top 5 for. Darnold may go back to school but has disappointed regardless. Rosen could be the 1st QB off the board. And no one is taking any of the other guys that high. What are your thoughts? New HC and staff are coming in with likely the highest pick since 2012. 

It depends on Lucks health. How they feel about the players they have on the o-line when everybody's healthy. They still need an elite pass rusher. Because that's the leading reason we lost to the Steelers for example. Sure, we got pressure on him sometimes but not enough. So, Ballard, has his work cut out for him. 

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I think a top 5 is out of the question. We will face Tom Savage again and the Bills just benched Taylor. 

That's what I'm thinking too. I think we beat the Texans again and could very well possibly beat the Bills or even the Bronco's.

An elite pass rusher would be the only reason I would say not to trade down.  

Those high picks are worth such a premium it's crazy.  The Bears gave away 2-3rd round picks just to move up one spot at the top of the draft.

The IMO the only players worth taking when you could trade down instead are quarterbacks and elite edge rushers.  And that's because both of those players can completely turn around things on their side of the ball.  It's also nearly impossible to get a good one in free agency.  

We already have the QB hopefully so the elite edge rusher would be the only player worth it IMO.

If for some reason you can't get an elite edge rusher nor trade down then I would go with Offensive tackle first.  Someone we can hopefully start right away at RT and then swap with Castanzo in his 2nd year.  

Other then that I might go with CB but I'm not sure if there are any CB's worth that high of a pick in this draft.  

Then ILB, but again I don't think there is anyone in the draft worth that high of a pick.

I don't believe in picking RB's that high.  

19 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

That's what I'm thinking too. I think we beat the Texans again and could very well possibly beat the Bills or even the Bronco's.

We could easily lose all those games too.   I think top 5 pick is likely.   We may not hold the 4th spot though.  

I wouldn't touch a QB in the draft to sit and learn.   This team has too many holes to draft for bench strength.  

This assuming Luck will be good to go.  

I agree with those wanting to draft the edge rusher.   That and OL have to be the priorities.   I'd like them to sign a free agent OL so they can save a draft pick.  

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

We could easily lose all those games too.   I think top 5 pick is likely.   We may not hold the 4th spot though.  

I wouldn't touch a QB in the draft to sit and learn.   This team has too many holes to draft for bench strength.  

This assuming Luck will be good to go.  

I agree with those wanting to draft the edge rusher.   That and OL have to be the priorities.   I'd like them to sign a free agent OL so they can save a draft pick.  

Even assuming Luck will not be good to go the trenches and a pass rusher would still be the greatest need. We will still have Brissett on the roster but no matter who the QB is they need to be protected.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:34 PM, DougDew said:

Its getting to the point where the Colts need a sure thing opposite TY.  Having another WR who can get open consistently helps all aspects of the O.  It may even make AC give up less pressures.

I'm not a big proponent of a WR at #5, but if one is there that is as plugnplay and competent as Ryan Kelly is at C, I'd have no problems with Ballard taking him. 

I think pass rushers get gassed if they are in every series.  So I see it as more of a rotational position than WR, so later in round 1 or early round 2 is a good spot for that.

This logic is sound. Honestly. With the way linemen are coming to the NFL unable to actually play well at the NFL level employing a strategy like this is a more surefire bet than taking a chance on most linemen. 

Not saying that I would pull that trigger at #5 given all of our other needs, but this is an unorthodox approach at solving the blocking issues. 

On 10/24/2017 at 2:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We likely will be drafting top-5...

If we do, I'd trade back a little (3-5 spots), collect whatever picks we can get and then draft a top O-tackle.

We can sign a guard or two in free agency.

But we're back in the business of addressing the line.    We can't have Luck miss the entire season, which he likely will do, and have him return next year with the line still a problem.    It must be fixed.

The problem is I don't see a great tackle in this year's draft.   A few good ones, but I'm not sure yet about great.   Of course it's still early in the process so we will see.

But the O-line must be the priority.   No way around it.

I like your o-line approach, but I'd trade down to 12-16th, and draft 2 guards.  When was the last Guard we've gotten in free agency that hasn't completely and utterly sucked?  I think Good and A.C. can hold edges against PR's from the edge. Good seemed to have 'clicked' in his first game this year prior to injury. (albeit cursory glance, and hoping it is right).  Guards are your bread and butter running game blockers, and it also seems 80%  of QB pressures, hit's and sacks this year have came from inside, not out.  Get me a mauler for a RG....

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

An elite pass rusher would be the only reason I would say not to trade down.  

Those high picks are worth such a premium it's crazy.  The Bears gave away 2-3rd round picks just to move up one spot at the top of the draft.

The IMO the only players worth taking when you could trade down instead are quarterbacks and elite edge rushers.  And that's because both of those players can completely turn around things on their side of the ball.  It's also nearly impossible to get a good one in free agency.  

We already have the QB hopefully so the elite edge rusher would be the only player worth it IMO.

If for some reason you can't get an elite edge rusher nor trade down then I would go with Offensive tackle first.  Someone we can hopefully start right away at RT and then swap with Castanzo in his 2nd year.  

Other then that I might go with CB but I'm not sure if there are any CB's worth that high of a pick in this draft.  

Then ILB, but again I don't think there is anyone in the draft worth that high of a pick.

I don't believe in picking RB's that high.  

Agreed.  Depending on if we stay 34 or switch to a 43 from what i read Chubb, Key, or Landry as pass rushers.   i don't watch college ball, just reading draftnik sites.

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I don’t think so either. Maybe if the 49ers, Browns, and Giants go on winning streaks we’ll be in the top 5. 

We are going to finish like we usually have of late. Somewhere around 6-8 wins. Only way I see top 5 is if Brissett gets hurt and Tolzien has to finish the race

Polian said he tried to draft linemen who were good pass blockers and that was to protect Manning. We should too. These guards who may be road graders sound great, but they may get Luck killed. If Quentin is great at both, and is BPA I would want him.   Kelly was BPA when. We picked him.  I would prefer an elite pass rusher but those don't always pan out ie Mingo and Hunt.  Good but not elite.

10 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I don’t think so either. Maybe if the 49ers, Browns, and Giants go on winning streaks we’ll be in the top 5. 

At this point houston may finish last in division because of how bad savage is and then they would steal an impact defensive player from us

The #5 overall pick last year was worth 1700 points. If we were to drop to #16 overall, that pick is worth 1000 points. This leaves 700 points worth of draft.

Round 2 16th pick (#48 overall) is worth 420 points

Leaving 280 points.

Could probably pick up their 3rd round pick as well, or a player. The 80th spot (Round 3, 16th pick) is worth 190 points.

So, moving from the top to the mid "should" generate 2 extra draft spots in the ideal areas to address the line.

This would mean the Colts would have
R1: 16 overall
R2: 37, 48
R3: 69, 80

Plus whatever supplemental picks and normal picks