Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do We Do With a Top 5 Pick?

Defjamz26

First of all I'll have to say that I finally get it now. I've talked in the past about how great it would be if the Colts got a top 5 or top 10 pick, but seeing the Colts picking number 4 overall in most mock drafts is weird. It feels so wrong. 

But with that being sad, it seems like this is the year where talks of the Colts being one of the worst teams in the NFL may actually have some merit to it. A top 5 pick actually seems highly likely. The question is, what do we even do with that pick? So many needs. The can't miss prospect is a RB yet we have no line for him to run through. There probably isn't a top 5 worthy OT either. Trade down but IDK which QB is worth jumping into the top 5 for. Darnold may go back to school but has disappointed regardless. Rosen could be the 1st QB off the board. And no one is taking any of the other guys that high. What are your thoughts? New HC and staff are coming in with likely the highest pick since 2012. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If somebody wants it for king's ransom in order to draft a QB - sell it to the highest bidder. If the offers are close, sell it to the team with the highest draft pick(and draft BPA).

I wouldn't be making a decision based on who we already have since most of them are not game changing players (well, with the exception of QB). We don't have enough blue chip players in order to be thinking like this - "The can't miss prospect is a RB yet we have no line for him to run through". We don't have the luxury to think like this. We need talent! High end talent with game changing ability. You cannot miss on that because you don't have the perfect pieces in place right now. If you do that you will never get the right pieces. This is how you keep being mediocre - by missing on the right pieces because of considerations other than talent. We need so many new pieces that whoever we draft won't be drafted into the perfect situation for his success. You just have to hope that with continuous and consistent talent acquisition it will ultimately matter and it will ultimately give the player the chance to succeed and/or maybe he will raise the level of his teammates if he's a truly special one. 

11 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Picking 5th I would hope we take either a pass rusher, middle linebacker or shutdown corner. If we go offensively then offensive line, Barkley, or even a stud WR if Moncrief walks.

Gotta protect Luck and continue to cast some talent around this kid.

I wouldn't consider a WR. The WR class is deep every year. And there's no Amari Cooper in this draft.

Just now, chrisfarley said:

linebackers, linebackers, linebackers.  we will be drafting about 12th, so let's go get a good one!!!

I am not as optimistic as you are, for the rest of this season.  Right now, to my chagrin, the Colts are looking like a bottom five team.

Pass rushers, linebackers, corners and o line hopefully are upgraded in the off season.  Rather if that's free agency(the Colts have plenty of cap space) or the draft.  The defense has shown strides this year.  I'd like to see what they can do next year with everyone healthy plus a few new additions.  I am also curious if the Colts keep Brissett next year or try to trade him for picks and/or players. I like Brissett a lot and would love for him to be the Colts long term back up but he deserves to start some where.  I think he's good enough to be a starting QB.  I'd bet the Colts probably keep him next year since he's under contract through 2019, just in case something would happen to Luck.  I think that Kelly and Castonzo are pretty safe as far as the o-line goes but the other spots are up in there in my opinion.  I think 2018 can be a bounce back year for the Colts.

We likely will be drafting top-5...

If we do, I'd trade back a little (3-5 spots), collect whatever picks we can get and then draft a top O-tackle.

We can sign a guard or two in free agency.

But we're back in the business of addressing the line.    We can't have Luck miss the entire season, which he likely will do, and have him return next year with the line still a problem.    It must be fixed.

The problem is I don't see a great tackle in this year's draft.   A few good ones, but I'm not sure yet about great.   Of course it's still early in the process so we will see.

But the O-line must be the priority.   No way around it.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn't consider a WR. The WR class is deep every year. And there's no Amari Cooper in this draft.

Its getting to the point where the Colts need a sure thing opposite TY.  Having another WR who can get open consistently helps all aspects of the O.  It may even make AC give up less pressures.

I'm not a big proponent of a WR at #5, but if one is there that is as plugnplay and competent as Ryan Kelly is at C, I'd have no problems with Ballard taking him. 

I think pass rushers get gassed if they are in every series.  So I see it as more of a rotational position than WR, so later in round 1 or early round 2 is a good spot for that.

Reasonably, the best player available that even kind of fits of need...I'd lean towards drafting o-linemen in the first round of pretty much every draft...that's the lifeblood of a team...picks are not as useful to us without good scouting AND development teams...

A MLB/captain of the defense type would be nice too...

WRs might be the easiest position to find and cultivate and acquire after the fact out of all positions...I would probably never use a 1 on a WR almost ever...

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

I don’t think we’ll be picking top 5. However if we do and we have the choice to trade it... I hope we can still get a pick in the first. Also a couple of 2’s for the pick. 

If we have a top 5 pick and trade back why would you think we would not have a 1st round pick still?  We would be pretty dumb to go for 2nd rounders only with a top 5 pick.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We likely will be drafting top-5...

If we do, I'd trade back a little (3-5 spots), collect whatever picks we can get and then draft a top O-tackle.

We can sign a guard or two in free agency.

But we're back in the business of addressing the line.    We can't have Luck miss the entire season, which he likely will do, and have him return next year with the line still a problem.    It must be fixed.

The problem is I don't see a great tackle in this year's draft.   A few good ones, but I'm not sure yet about great.   Of course it's still early in the process so we will see.

But the O-line must be the priority.   No way around it.

I'd even be okay with trading back 5 or more spots, and then selecting stud OG Quenten Nelson from Notre Dame, if they feel he is the best OL player available. Really, anywhere outside of Kelly at OC is a need on the OL. 

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

I don’t think we’ll be picking top 5. However if we do and we have the choice to trade it... I hope we can still get a pick in the first. Also a couple of 2’s for the pick. 

We will for sure , 100% be picking top 5. Take an old man's word for it . Probably more likely 3rd than 5th. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

First of all I'll have to say that I finally get it now. I've talked in the past about how great it would be if the Colts got a top 5 or top 10 pick, but seeing the Colts picking number 4 overall in most mock drafts is weird. It feels so wrong. 

But with that being sad, it seems like this is the year where talks of the Colts being one of the worst teams in the NFL may actually have some merit to it. A top 5 pick actually seems highly likely. The question is, what do we even do with that pick? So many needs. The can't miss prospect is a RB yet we have no line for him to run through. There probably isn't a top 5 worthy OT either. Trade down but IDK which QB is worth jumping into the top 5 for. Darnold may go back to school but has disappointed regardless. Rosen could be the 1st QB off the board. And no one is taking any of the other guys that high. What are your thoughts? New HC and staff are coming in with likely the highest pick since 2012. 

I don't think Denard goes back to school. I also think teams will just view the disappointing year as a case of him trying to do too much. He has the arm , footwork and sees the field just fine. He'll go top 3. 

As to what will the colts do ? Probably trade back if they have a top 3-4 pick.

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'd even be okay with trading back 5 or more spots, and then selecting stud OG Quenten Nelson from Notre Dame, if they feel he is the best OL player available. Really, anywhere outside of Kelly at OC is a need on the OL. 

The problem is...   the only place to get a quality tackle this year is the draft.   We likely won't get one in free agency.    But we can get a guard or two in FA.   And I don't think we can afford multiple draft picks for the line...   we have too many other needs.     

The Football Gods are not kind to the Colts...    the upcoming FA class is very poor...   very disappointing.     We will have money to spend and few players worth buying...    So we have to maximize free agency then nail the draft.    I don't envy Ballard...   that won't be an easy feat yo pull off...    (sigh...)

3 hours ago, OHColtfan said:

If there is a top flight pass rusher there, I would take him without thinking twice. Such a glaring need.

Amen. But no trade downs. This team badly needs playmakers. You are seriously in the game for one with pick 4. Trading down is a crapshoot. Just ask the Browns if they'd do it again. No way. 

Mike McGlinchey/Connor Williams for OT or Arden Key/Harold Landry for pass rush. Protect the QB against the rusher or rush the QB, that is what the NFL is mainly about. However, that high in the draft, you just get the best player available, outside QB.

Overall, first 3 rounds will be OL, OLB, ILB in some order, IMO. Ballard's history with Chiefs from 2013-2016 suggests he will draft RBs later (Knile Davis, Round 3 in 2013, DeAnthony Thomas, Round 4 in 2014,  Spencer Ware was undrafted, Marlon Mack, Round 4, could be Andy Reid's philosophy too, post Ballard Kareem Hunt in Round 3 this year) but Barkley would be hard to pass up if we do end up picking in the top 5 and he falls to us.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem is...   the only place to get a quality tackle this year is the draft.   We likely won't get one in free agency.    But we can get a guard or two in FA.   And I don't think we can afford multiple draft picks for the line...   we have too many other needs.     

The Football Gods are not kind to the Colts...    the upcoming FA class is very poor...   very disappointing.     We will have money to spend and few players worth buying...    So we have to maximize free agency then nail the draft.    I don't envy Ballard...   that won't be an easy feat yo pull off...    (sigh...)

If we get a top 5 pick we have to trade it. Too many needs on both sides of the ball.   Its nice to get an elite player, but one bad injury and what could be a nice draft goes awry.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Amen. But no trade downs. This team badly needs playmakers. You are seriously in the game for one with pick 4. Trading down is a crapshoot. Just ask the Browns if they'd do it again. No way. 

The problem is the lack of top talent in this draft class (as it looks right now).  Barkley is alone at the top as far as slam dunk top 5 guys go.  And I'd take him in a heartbeat if possible.

If you scroll back up nearly 30 posts you'll see my first post on this thread where I advocate for a small trade back to collect picks.

I just wouldn't trade too far back,   

Don't want to lose out on a premium player..   those guys are too hard to come by..