Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

I know it will probably never happen, but it would be nice to know some of the specific players and situations that Raye and Grigson disagreed on; especially the more "heated disagreements". Maybe if he does end up getting the position someone in the media will ask (not that he would necessarily agree to give specifics).  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If everyone is convinced it will be Raye, then why wasn't he hired over Grigson to begin with?

I think it was made pretty clear from the Jump that Irsay wanted new guys he could mold. A newbie GM(Grigson), A newbie Coach(Pagano) to go with a newbie QB(Luck).  That is what he did.

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have been a fan for many years, and that's the first I have ever heard of Pete Ward.

At least I don't remember that name. Thanks.

He's the guy who just recently denied the reports that the Colts were pursuing a trade for Sean Payton.

He's also the guy who interviewed Pagano with Grigson. Grigson said he wrote a note to Ward during the interview saying players would run through a wall for Pagano. 

At this point, he's Irsay's right hand man.

For those that think Jimmy Raye will hang out if denied the GM position with the Colts.

Read this in a article when I searched Jimmy Raye. 

Though Telesco said that he wanted to keep Raye around, Raye instead left to fill Telesco’s old job as the VP of football operations in Indianapolis.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

No matter who the GM is, the only thing that can buy Chuck more time is for is behind to Win.  Not only win but make a deep playoff run or more.  Nothing more, Nothing less.   Irsay said it's about winning at the end of the day.

I'm more concerned about how they play throughout the season than if they make a deep playoff run.  More consistent play, fewer penalties, increased efficiency on offense, better sideline decisions, etc...

I wanted to see who is actually scheduled to interview for the Colts GM job. This is who I have seen them request and interview for but not sure if DeCosta, Wolf, or Ballard will accept the request. Am I missing any?

- Jimmie Ray III (obviously he will interview)

- Trent Kirchner (interview likely Thursday per Ian Rapoport)

- Scott Fitterer (interview likely Thursday per Ian Rapoport)

- Eric DeCosta

- George Paton (interview in Indy tomorrow per Tom Pelissero)

- Eliot Wolf

- Chris Ballard

1 minute ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

For those that think Jimmy Raye will hang out if denied the GM position with the Colts.

Read this in a article when I searched Jimmy Raye. 

Though Telesco said that he wanted to keep Raye around, Raye instead left to fill Telesco’s old job as the VP of football operations in Indianapolis.

He's under contract (presumably). He can quit, but he can't go jump to another team without the Colts permission.

The San Diego thing always felt like he had been promised something. He came up in San Diego, and I think he had a close relationship with AJ Smith and John Spanos, and was supposed to be next in line. Then the Spanos family brought in a bunch of outside advisers to make the GM decision, and Telesco got the job. He probably felt snubbed, and then they just let him leave without putting up a fight.

I think this is a different situation. Maybe he would feel slighted and try to force his way out, in which case, oh well. He might be looking at the list of candidates right now and feeling like he's a token Rooney rule candidate. But I doubt anyone has given him any indication that he's next in line. 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/1/22/14348906/who-is-jimmy-raye-the-colts-interim-gm-and-gm-candidate

One of the things I did pickup on from this article, (and a video interview I watched) with Jimmy Raye was that he is very good at finding undrafted FAs. The Colts have had quite a few of these players over his tenure. 

(Throughout his career, Raye has developed a reputation both with the Colts and around the NFL as a very respected personnel man, so it’s hard to determine how much blame he should shoulder for the Colts’ failures in the draft and free agency recently. And throughout his career, Raye has proven to be capable of finding guys through the draft and free agency. With the Colts, for example, Raye has helped find guys such as Zach Kerr, Jonotthan Harrison, and Denzelle Good. Two of them were undrafted, and the other was a seventh round pick out of Mars Hill. )

2 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I wanted to see who is actually scheduled to interview for the Colts GM job. This is who I have seen them request and interview for but not sure if DeCosta, Wolf, or Ballard will accept the request. Am I missing any?

- Jimmie Ray III (obviously he will interview)

- Trent Kirchner (interview likely Thursday per Ian Rapoport)

- Scott Fitterer (interview likely Thursday per Ian Rapoport)

- Eric DeCosta

- George Paton (interview in Indy tomorrow per Tom Pelissero)

- Eliot Wolf

- Chris Ballard

hmm. Very interesting.

The first reports seem to indicate the interviews would mostly take place in Mobile at the Senior Bowl.

Seems as if the Colts are now conducting many of them days prior to the game.

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

hmm. Very interesting.

The first reports seem to indicate the interviews would mostly take place in Mobile at the Senior Bowl.

Seems as if the Colts are now conducting many of them days prior to the game.

Yeah, I thought they'd all be taking place in Alabama. That for some reason gives the interviews more legitimacy to me.

I figure it comes down to whoever Irsay thinks is the best candidate, duh, but is also willing to work with Pagano and this staff for a year, as well as whatever is going on with Peyton, if anything.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I know it will probably never happen, but it would be nice to know some of the specific players and situations that Raye and Grigson disagreed on; especially the more "heated disagreements". Maybe if he does end up getting the position someone in the media will ask (not that he would necessarily agree to give specifics).  

Someone on Twitter said he wants Raye just because, in his mind, he thinks Raye probably called Grigson a bad word to his face, and that's a good enough reason to hire him. Childish, but LOL. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Someone on Twitter said he wants Raye just because, in his mind, he thinks Raye probably called Grigson a bad word to his face, and that's a good enough reason to hire him. Childish, but LOL. 

Yeah if arguments like that happened I would love to know the details.  If something like that was ever confirmed Raye would instantly become a much more popular choice for GM with a lot of posters/fans. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also hearing that Irsay has asked to interview Eric "He's Never Leaving the Ravens" DeCosta. Maybe this time he'll actually interview. I've wanted him as the GM for awhile.

He hasn't interviewed since 2010. He was a Seattle finalist, then pulled himself out of the running. Since then, he's declined every request, from what I can tell. 

Unlike the other candidates, who I'm willing to separate from their superiors, I think DeCosta is basically an extension of Ozzie Newsome. For good and for bad. He is so heavily entrenched in the Ravens front office that I think they'll throw a wad of money at him to get him to stay, but he's already as much of a GM as you can be without actually having the title. Reports say he runs the draft, with Ozzie having final say. They say he handles all the pre-draft work, sets up the board, spearheads CFA recruitment, etc. He's given a lot of credit for their big draft day trades for Flacco, and so on. I think the Ravens' personnel decisions are a direct reflection of DeCosta's vision, approach and ability.

He might have some differing ideas with regard to free agency, contract structure, etc. But for the most part, I think you can look at Baltimore's moves over the last 8-10 years and use them to predict how DeCosta would run his own front office. 

If you don't read anything else, read this. I found this fascinating, I wish the Colts would pull back the curtain like this: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Heres-What-Happened-In-Ravens-Draft-Room-Last-Night/c1ae2d9a-63b5-442a-bc41-87689206215a 

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Jimmy Raye seems like a very smart and nice man.

However, I wonder...

How much input did Raye have regarding all the lousy draft choices and free agent acquisitions made over the past three or four years?

While he advised and helped Grigson on roster moves and cap, etc, that was not his main help area.  His specialty and Raye’s big contributions seem to have come through the draft, however, as he’s been involved in draft preparation, NFL Combine work, prospect visits, and since 2014, has been in charge of the Colts’ undrafted free agent { UDFA } signings.

Also, lets not forget, Jimmy Raye has been one of the top heads of administration during the years of dysfunction. His presence did not seem to help.

Not that he didn't try, though there is some praise on him from Grigson, it is not what you would expect-

“He is unique in that he has a great blend of football pedigree along with a deep scouting acumen, but his unwavering honesty and integrity is what I feel sets him apart,”

Here's the kicker-

“I think anyone will tell you that Jimmy Raye is the furthest thing from a ‘Yes Man’ there is in this league, and that is critical for someone in my position. Quite frankly I don’t like to hear some of his opinions sometimes, because I may be leaning very hard in a certain way and express a passionate position in an animated way, but Jimmy is someone who can hit you right back between the eyes with a well thought-out alternative perspective in a very matter of fact way.”

Jimmy Raye also agreed with that assessment:

“I think it helps him make better decisions. I take a lot of pride in that. Being that person for him that’s a voice of reason that can give him the tough conversation when he needs it and tell him exactly what he needs to hear. Sometimes he doesn’t want to hear it, but at the end of the day, I think he appreciates my honesty and candor with him.”

It appears  was  not only Pagano who had disagreements with Grigson. I know many Colts fans won’t like the move if Raye gets the promotion, because it’s a “Grigson guy” who might be in favor of keeping Chuck Pagano around longer. Howerver,  Raye’s resume in the NFL is quite impressive and he’s a well-regarded personnel man. He was involved with the LT and Brees drafts and the Eli and Rivers trade, as well as the UDFA signing of Antonio Gates, for instance.  That he is in the mix is OK by me.

Something else from DeCosta, about the Ravens roster/drafting:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651408/article/ozzie-newsome-ravens-recent-drafts-not-up-to-par

"You should research this," DeCosta explained. "No team has had more money spent on their players over the last seven years than us. To me, that's an indication that other teams value our players."

DeCosta raises a salient point. The Ravens lose quality players to free agency in large part because the other 31 teams respect their ability to identify and develop young talent.

That's in an article about the Ravens drafts not being up to their standard over the past couple years...

There are too many long posts to quote so I won't. I will say Decosta obviously has had a good track record and knows our system and familiar with Chuck but they haven't exactly drafted impressively recently imo. Their draft picks at lb haven't sent a thrill up me. Maybe it is the loss of Ray and Ed and Ngata that really was the spine of that defense that could teach and improve all the players around them but since that SB I just haven't seen the player decelopement they once had. Also when your best wr is like a 36 year old guy coming off an Achilles injury that doesn't impress me either. The organization as a whole is very well run and has a great environment around the players and personnel from coach and GM to the players but I see some similarities with that team and what the Colts went through in the last couple Peyton years. Older stars that aren't quite what they've been and some bad drafts have left them depleted. 

I will say say what I'm hearing about Raye is promising too. Hate yes men...hopefully though he was arguing the right way on some of the Grigson picks that haven't turned out and not talking him into poor decisions...but I'm sure we know that. I think Chuck likes him because they probably have a good relationship already and perhaps he was a voice for Chuck on some of the draft picks he was yelling for and maybe helped communicate Chucks opinions on what the team wanted to target in FA. Obviously a familiar face would give him a much better chance to stay then a new GM that would naturally want to bring their own guy in.

54 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

While he advised and helped Grigson on roster moves and cap, etc, that was not his main help area.  His specialty and Raye’s big contributions seem to have come through the draft, however, as he’s been involved in draft preparation, NFL Combine work, prospect visits, and since 2014, has been in charge of the Colts’ undrafted free agent { UDFA } signings.

Not that he didn't try, though there is some praise on him from Grigson, it is not what you would expect-

“He is unique in that he has a great blend of football pedigree along with a deep scouting acumen, but his unwavering honesty and integrity is what I feel sets him apart,”

Here's the kicker-

“I think anyone will tell you that Jimmy Raye is the furthest thing from a ‘Yes Man’ there is in this league, and that is critical for someone in my position. Quite frankly I don’t like to hear some of his opinions sometimes, because I may be leaning very hard in a certain way and express a passionate position in an animated way, but Jimmy is someone who can hit you right back between the eyes with a well thought-out alternative perspective in a very matter of fact way.”

Jimmy Raye also agreed with that assessment:

“I think it helps him make better decisions. I take a lot of pride in that. Being that person for him that’s a voice of reason that can give him the tough conversation when he needs it and tell him exactly what he needs to hear. Sometimes he doesn’t want to hear it, but at the end of the day, I think he appreciates my honesty and candor with him.”

It appears  was  not only Pagano who had disagreements with Grigson. I know many Colts fans won’t like the move if Raye gets the promotion, because it’s a “Grigson guy” who might be in favor of keeping Chuck Pagano around longer. Howerver,  Raye’s resume in the NFL is quite impressive and he’s a well-regarded personnel man. He was involved with the LT and Brees drafts and the Eli and Rivers trade, as well as the UDFA signing of Antonio Gates, for instance.  That he is in the mix is OK by me.

Very good post...  i am one who as of a couple days ago thought bringing on Raye would indeed mean more of Pagano, but the more I think about it and see varying opinions,  it would seem that if Raye gets the position (a coveted one that many people would love to have) I believe that he is NOT going to jeopardize his job with a bad coach.  He's going to want a coach who can capitalize on the talent that he brings in.  If Pagano fails to do so, I don't think he would hesitate to "sever the gangrene".  This is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime position for many, and he's not going to just put up with losing, I don't think.  

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/1/22/14348906/who-is-jimmy-raye-the-colts-interim-gm-and-gm-candidate

One of the things I did pickup on from this article, (and a video interview I watched) with Jimmy Raye was that he is very good at finding undrafted FAs. The Colts have had quite a few of these players over his tenure. 

(Throughout his career, Raye has developed a reputation both with the Colts and around the NFL as a very respected personnel man, so it’s hard to determine how much blame he should shoulder for the Colts’ failures in the draft and free agency recently. And throughout his career, Raye has proven to be capable of finding guys through the draft and free agency. With the Colts, for example, Raye has helped find guys such as Zach Kerr, Jonotthan Harrison, and Denzelle Good. Two of them were undrafted, and the other was a seventh round pick out of Mars Hill. )

But at the same time you have to hit on your early draft picks if you want a talented roster. 

11 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Well, he has been here for four years. And for the most part I have not been crazy about front office decisions or direction.

Hard to say how much of that falls solely on Ryan Grigson or in part on Grigson/Raye/Pagano and so on and so forth.

So i think that half of us would like a clean break. Start with new faces.

I think he was in charge of finding UDF's though wasn't he? If so he did a pretty good job of that in my opinion. 

44 minutes ago, #12. said:

Apparently, to some, Raye gets credit for every positive move made in San Diego yet none of the blame for anything that has happened here.  What seems to be driving this?  A Colts.com generated bio - a fluff piece. 

I would like to get Chargers fans take on him. Raye fluff reports make him ready for Hall of Fame Golden jacket already.

12 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

That is not an impressive list though. Kerr is just a rotational guy, Harrison was horrible at center, and Good lost his job to Haeg. I don't expect UDFAs to be pro-bowlers but using those 3 as claims to fame does more harm than good. If anything I want to know who found Jack Doyle and Chester Rodgers. Who was responsible for Swoope?

13 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Very good post...  i am one who as of a couple days ago thought bringing on Raye would indeed mean more of Pagano, but the more I think about it and see varying opinions,  it would seem that if Raye gets the position (a coveted one that many people would love to have) I believe that he is NOT going to jeopardize his job with a bad coach.  He's going to want a coach who can capitalize on the talent that he brings in.  If Pagano fails to do so, I don't think he would hesitate to "sever the gangrene".  This is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime position for many, and he's not going to just put up with losing, I don't think.  

I believe Irsay would "Mentor" Raye as to whether next seasons coaching job was acceptable.
  We need a guy that identifies the right mental and physical abilities to play great defense.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That is not an impressive list though. Kerr is just a rotational guy, Harrison was horrible at center, and Good lost his job to Haeg. I don't expect UDFAs to be pro-bowlers but using those 3 as claims to fame does more harm than good. If anything I want to know who found Jack Doyle and Chester Rodgers. Who was responsible for Swoope?

Raye was responsible for Swoope. 

I know Irsay is in a much better position than all of us to know whether Raye is a good choice, but I will still be very disappointed if he is the pick for new GM. I think there needs to be a full-fledged house cleaning that includes Raye and Pagano being shown the door. Honestly I feel that Pagano being replaced is actually more important. Luck's prime is limited and the Colts need to shake up the way things are run.

If Raye is promoted to GM and Pagano is kept as HC, really what has changed at that point outside of a guy who no one liked on a personal level being gone?

Also, piggybacking on the previous post, according to Colin Cowherd and numerous other talking heads, this is seen as a very desirable job for potential GMs around the league. The same would be the case for potential head coaches. Hiring Raye and keeping Pagano feels like "settling" when Irsay has such a wide selection available.

4 hours ago, #12. said:

Apparently, to some, Raye gets credit for every positive move made in San Diego yet none of the blame for anything that has happened here.  What seems to be driving this?  A Colts.com generated bio - a fluff piece. 

The opposite is also true, and neither side has any idea of what's correct.

No harm in either, as long as you take no one seriously.

This all goes for all the other candidates, also.

We won't KNOW until someone's hired, and starts making moves.

21 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

Also, piggybacking on the previous post, according to Colin Cowherd and numerous other talking heads, this is seen as a very desirable job for potential GMs around the league. The same would be the case for potential head coaches. Hiring Raye and keeping Pagano feels like "settling" when Irsay has such a wide selection available.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I saw somebody else mention this on Stampede Blue, but if they promote Raye III it'll probably be looked at as an extension of this regime by some.

That could be unfair but Raye's been here a few years. He's familiar with the coaches, the players, the organization as a whole. I think a lot of people are going to have higher expectations for Raye in his 1st year than if we were to bring in somebody from the outside who isn't familiar with the Colts.

31 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I know Irsay is in a much better position than all of us to know whether Raye is a good choice, but I will still be very disappointed if he is the pick for new GM. I think there needs to be a full-fledged house cleaning that includes Raye and Pagano being shown the door. Honestly I feel that Pagano being replaced is actually more important. Luck's prime is limited and the Colts need to shake up the way things are run.

If Raye is promoted to GM and Pagano is kept as HC, really what has changed at that point outside of a guy who no one liked on a personal level being gone?

And i believe that is exactly what Irsay wants.  He wants that continuity he loves so much and mentioned in his presser on Saturday, only now it is without the relationship issues that came with Grigson.  Promote Raye and keep Pagano, that has been my feeling since Saturday evening. You could tell he really didn't wanna change anything but was left with little choice.   Also i see today the Colts have hired a new WR coach. Wouldn't that be a Pagano call?  Even more reason to believe that Irsay was serious when he said Pagano would be the coach next year.   Keeping Pagano even for  one year might be enough for some of these bigger name candidates to say no thanks in the end. 

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

yeah, unfortunately hiring a new WR coach does seem to indicate Pagano will indeed be here for the next year..... but deep down, I think we all knew that, and I do hope being stuck with that overmatched underachiever for a year won't dissuade the best candidates....

Me too I'm sure we will go deep in the playoffs too and buy him the rest of his contract