Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'll at least give Irsay credit and say I think he's leaving room in case he gets wow'd by somebody. I do think he'll use these interviews to get answers to certain questions though. Or at least I hope he does, he could probably use some constructive criticism.

But yeah, my skeptical side partially agrees with Florio, no matter my dislike for him. I've already seen some Colts fans, over on the subreddit, say they'd be okay with the Raye III hire because Irsay is going after so many solid candidates. So if that is indeed the case, which I'm not saying it is, it's already working.

Jimmy Raye seems like a very smart and nice man.

However, I wonder...

How much input did Raye have regarding all the lousy draft choices and free agent acquisitions made over the past three or four years?

Also, lets not forget, Jimmy Raye has been one of the top heads of administration during the years of dysfunction. His presence did not seem to help.

5 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Specific to the Flacco issue: I thought it was a bad contract at the time too but it's a tough position to be in having to renegotiate after that playoff run. Is there some other way they could have structured it to make it less heavy? I'm no good at understanding contracts.

It was too backloaded. They did a six year contract worth $120m, and the cap hit in the first two years only accounted for ~$20m of the total value of the contract. That means the last four years would have to account for $100m on the cap. The Ravens knew full well that they would have to extend Flacco again, and that's what they did. But now they had to give him a raise, and from 2013-16, they've paid him a total of $106m cash ($26.5m/year), and not all of that is on the cap yet... but it will be. That guy threw 20 TDs and 15 INTs this year (but at least he finally hit 4,000 yards!) 

He's decidedly average, even above average. When he gets hot, he can have a four game stretch like he did in the 2012 playoffs. They didn't have much choice but to give him a big contract, but they didn't have to backload it so heavily. 

I always said they should have structured it with moderate increases each year, not super low hits up front with sharp increases after Year 3. The Packers did a much more balanced contract with Rodgers, and even the Colts with Luck.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

However, I wonder...

How much input did Raye have regarding all the lousy draft choices and free agent acquisitions made over the past three years?

Also, lets not forget, Jimmy Raye has been one of the top heads of administration during the years of dysfunction. His presence did not seem to help.

I'm okay with Raye III overall, I just think the other potential candidates are more enticing.

But you raise an interesting point, I mean Raye III came here in 2013. That wasn't exactly a great offseason but then, not many teams had good drafts that year. That was a crazy FA year though, but I don't think Raye III had much to do with FA.

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

However, I wonder...

How much input did Raye have regarding all the lousy draft choices and free agent acquisitions made over the past three years?

Even if Raye did have input, theres no proof that Grigson listened to any of it. We really don't know for sure.

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm just skeptical of these candidates availability. Wolf took himself out of the running for the 49ers job and got a raise, Chiefs blocked Ballard's request for the 49ers. Wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks block our requests. Really the only guy Irsay is for sure interviewing besides Raye III is George Paton, I think. Obviously that's just right now.

I'll take back what I originally said in that this search isn't just for show, but I do think Irsay is leaning heavily toward Raye III.

I don't think he'd allow the coaches to go to the Senior Bowl with Raye if he were this open to making major GM changes. Because say what you want about it just being one more year of Pagano, but I can't see these high level candidates very excited about having to possibly start their 1st year off building for a vision that could be changed in a season. And I don't take everything Irsay says as fact, but it's the way he talked about Pagano that had me convinced he'll be back.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Its just because they have to send someone. You don't want to not have a front office person there.

34 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/irsay-will-personally-make-g-m-hire/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irsay will personally make G.M. hire

If you watch the video (on top of the story)...

Mike Florio's opinion is, that the Colts interviewing all these "big name" candidates is only a dog and pony show, just to puff up, and justify, his already made selection, of Jimmy Raye.

Very interesting theory.

Wasn't florio one of the ones saying Grigson was staying....

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. Its just because they have to send someone. You don't want to not have a front office person there.

I know Raye III had to go down, my thing is about taking the coaches too. I don't see why they'd send coaches down with the scouts, the first time they've ever done that, if they didn't seem pretty set on things going forward.

Now that I think about it, it'd be weird to not know who your GM is at the Senior Bowl.

Irsay said he will take a look at some younger guys (GM) for interviews, and that's what he seems to be doing, the two from Seattle, Eliot Wolfe is 34 and likely an up-and-comer for a GM position (likely in GB).... but what I think that does is it leaves Irsay with an "out", being that Jimmy Raye is older and more experienced.  So i can hear him saying, "but in the end, it just came down to experience and familiarity with our program, and that's why we chose Jimmy Raye III".  

Eric DeCosta 45

Eliot Wolf 34

Paton - looks to be in his 40s

Fitterer - looks to be in his late 30s

Kirshner - mid 30's

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I know Raye III had to go down, my thing is about taking the coaches too. I don't see why they'd send coaches down with the scouts, the first time they've ever done that, if they didn't seem pretty set on things going forward.

Now that I think about it, it'd be weird to not know who your GM is at the Senior Bowl.

That's on Irsay for waiting so long. I pray we know who our GM is by the combine at least. But I think the instability in the FO is why they sent the coaches with Raye. Probably trying to show a unified front regardless of what's going on. Plus if Irsay is serious about Pagano being the coach of 2017 then he needs to be there anyways.

18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm okay with Raye III overall, I just think the other potential candidates are more enticing.

But you raise an interesting point, I mean Raye III came here in 2013. That wasn't exactly a great offseason but then, not many teams had good drafts that year. That was a crazy FA year though, but I don't think Raye III had much to do with FA.

If he joined the team in 2013...

Raye would have been here for the Trent Richardson deal. I'd have to assume he had at least some say in the decision? Very bad draft and FA signings in 2013 also.

Years 2014-2016 were nothing to write home about either.

50 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If you watch the video (on top of the story)...

Mike Florio's opinion is, that the Colts interviewing all these "big name" candidates is only a dog and pony show, just to puff up, and justify, his already made selection, of Jimmy Raye.

Very interesting theory.

Well I guess its better than the other possible "story"...that Irsay is only interviewing Raye to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Just now, krunk said:

Half of you don't even know why you don't want Raye.  He's just automatically Grigson by association.  Resume means absolutely nothing. 

Well, he has been here for four years. And for the most part I have not been crazy about front office decisions or direction.

Hard to say how much of that falls solely on Ryan Grigson or in part on Grigson/Raye/Pagano and so on and so forth.

So i think that half of us would like a clean break. Start with new faces.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Well, he has been here for four years. And for the most part I have not been crazy about front office decisions or direction.

Hard to say how much of that falls solely on Ryan Grigson or in part on Grigson/Raye/Pagano and so on and so forth.

What do you think if his work in SD?

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

Well I guess its better than the other possible "story"...that Irsay is only interviewing Raye to satisfy the Rooney rule.

None of it makes sense really. Everyone has been saying Irsay would only fire someone if he has a clear upgrade in mind. Why wait almost 3 weeks to fire Grigson if he was already set on Raye? Raye wouldn't even really have to interview for the job. He's been hear since like 2012. Irsay should know him well enough. If he was so gung-ho and ready to go with Raye, he wouldn't have waited so long to fire Grigson in the first place. And now he's all set on Raye but interviewing some high profile names just to make it look good? I don't buy it. If anything an immediate in house promotion is more media friendly. I don't believe at all that Raye is the LEADING candidate.

6 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

That's what I'm trying to mostly judge him on.

But even then, I think the guy's that Irsay is reaching out to all are superior candidates. Raye III is just on that "solid" level where we're reaching out to some of the most desirable candidates. Doesn't mean Raye III wouldn't make just as good if not a better GM.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

So just blame him anyway basically.

11 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

I think he had some nice signings and drafts over that span. For the most part SD was a strong team.

I am not saying Raye is not qualified. But personally I would like a departure from the past pattern. And I think one of the other GM candidates would be more likely to do just that.

For example, I worry Raye and Pagano would be more likely to retain some of our older players, like Adams, DQ, Cole etc

Irsay worked in the same building as Grigson and Raye.   He was in the war room with them.  Raye has a rep for not being a Yes man.  Even Grigson said as much.  Irsay would have to know Raye's opinions on draft picks and the sort.  To fire Grigson and hire his assistant Raye, means he 1st hand saw that Raye was better.   The only other possibility, imo, is that he fired Grigson because he just couldn't get along with the rest of the clubhouse.

6 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Florio has a bizarre dislike for Irsay.  And the headline is ridiculous ... "Irsay will personally make GM hire."  Duh! Ya think??!!

Two people will be in the room: Irsay and Ward. It's possible Irsay's daughters will sit in, but since they're starting the interviews down in Mobile, I'm thinking it's just Irsay and Ward for right now. Maybe he'll have Polian participate, but it didn't sound like it based on what he said in the presser. He'll have his close counselors, but it's going to be up to Irsay, ultimately. And that's not surprising, in the least.

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

It was too backloaded. They did a six year contract worth $120m, and the cap hit in the first two years only accounted for ~$20m of the total value of the contract. That means the last four years would have to account for $100m on the cap. The Ravens knew full well that they would have to extend Flacco again, and that's what they did. But now they had to give him a raise, and from 2013-16, they've paid him a total of $106m cash ($26.5m/year), and not all of that is on the cap yet... but it will be. That guy threw 20 TDs and 15 INTs this year (but at least he finally hit 4,000 yards!) 

He's decidedly average, even above average. When he gets hot, he can have a four game stretch like he did in the 2012 playoffs. They didn't have much choice but to give him a big contract, but they didn't have to backload it so heavily. 

I always said they should have structured it with moderate increases each year, not super low hits up front with sharp increases after Year 3. The Packers did a much more balanced contract with Rodgers, and even the Colts with Luck.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Two people will be in the room: Irsay and Ward. It's possible Irsay's daughters will sit in, but since they're starting the interviews down in Mobile, I'm thinking it's just Irsay and Ward for right now. Maybe he'll have Polian participate, but it didn't sound like it based on what he said in the presser. He'll have his close counselors, but it's going to be up to Irsay, ultimately. And that's not surprising, in the least.

Superman... Who is Ward? One of the teams administrators?