Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

that is interesting...the link I was referring to that I can't find now was an article on the Wisconsin site talking about potential break out WRs for the coming year and Ballard's name was listed.  That was literally (yes..literally) the only thing I could find that specified any kind of position for him. 

I thought going from WR coach to secondary coach at least made some sense...if he's not going to coach the position group that he played in then at least he's coaching the position group that had to stop him.  A QB would have that same type of info (about how to stop a WR) though so I guess that still makes some sense.  Moreso than if he'd gone from playing OL to coaching the secondary. lol

I just found the interview again: WR at Madison in college, played QB in high school in Texas. 

23 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

what doesn't make sense?  He means that Raye is still under contract to continue on in his current position next year.  So if Raye is chosen as GM, he either keeps the previous title he had or they hire someone to replace him for that position.  If Irsay hires a different GM candidate, then Raye is still here next year (presumably..unless he requests a buy out) still in his current role.

If you re-read my post you'll see that I tried to humorously use a double negative, essentially saying his post did in fact have a relative level of logic to it.

9 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

I wish Jason Cole/BleacherReport was a more reliable source but he claims Ballard has emerged as the favourite for our GM opening.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2689398-insider-buzz-chiefs-chris-ballard-emerging-as-favorite-for-colts-gm-job

Based on what?  Sorry, can't watch the video at work - filters won't let me.

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

From the way Grigson was portrayed in that scouting piece(gut feelings, old school scouting, etc) and with Pagano being an old school coach(grit, chopping wood, etc), I doubt analytics has played significant role in the Colts recently. They probably have some token participation, but I don't really trust they used any of it with the full understanding of its benefits and limitations.

You may be right.  I honestly don't have any idea.  I like analytics, but if it somehow fit into the grading, I don't think it should affect the grade anymore than a few ticks one way or the other if it were a 100 point scale.  At least not anymore than the combine scores affects guys grades - which admittedly can be drastic in rare cases.  Seems like there's always a couple guys out of however many hundreds that jump up a few rounds or drop the same because of combine scores.

Article on Irsay from Profootballweekly's Hub Arkush:

The Way We Hear It:

Is Jim Irsay dumb like a fox?

Colts seem to have their pick of great GM candidates

...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

I think the "favorite" starts within the organization in Raye -- and Irsay will need a compelling interview to knock him off the perch.  Which one of the candidates could do that?  One of the two guys from Seattle trent kirchner, looked awfully young and even nervous doing an interview with their own Seahawks media person last year, doubting he will make the final cut.  (no links to other boards).  I agree with someone who said it will probably get narrowed down by the weekend and would expect an announcement next week.

Director of Football Operations Chris Ballard enters his 16th season in NFL personnel and begins his fourth season with the Chiefs in 2016. He was promoted to Director of Football Operations entering the 2015 season after serving as Kansas City’s Director of Player Personnel for two seasons (2013-14). With the Chiefs, Ballard oversees the college and pro scouting departments and works directly with General Manager John Dorsey on player acquisition. He also works directly with Director of Pro Scouting Will Lewis and Director of College Scouting Marvin Allen to lead the Chiefs scouting efforts. Along with Dorsey, Ballard and the personnel staff see the benefit in continuously scouting available players to be contributors in various roles on the team, whether it is is on the active roster or the practice squad. In 2013, the personnel staff turned over a number of players on a Chiefs roster that went 2-14 in 2012. By the time the season was over, there were a total of 30 new players on the 53-man roster that reached the playoffs as a Wild Card contender after finishing second in the AFC West. Prior to joining the Chiefs in 2013, Ballard spent the previous 12 seasons with the Chicago Bears personnel department, first as a Southwest Area Scout (2001-11) and then as the Director of Pro Scouting (2012). During his time in Chicago, the Bears reached the playoffs four times, winning four NFC North titles (2001, 2005, 2006 and 2010) and appearing in two NFC Championship Games (2006 and 2010). In 2006, the Bears won the NFC Championship and advanced to Super Bowl XLI in Miami. In his time with the Bears, Ballard helped Chicago draft Pro Bowlers Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Charles Tillman, Tommie Harris, Nathan Vasher and Henry Melton. He was also directly involved in many notable acquisitions and trades, including the signings of Brandon Marshall, Michael Bush, Jermon Bushrod, Martellus Bennett, D.J. Williams and James Andersen. Prior to his time with Chicago, Ballard spent seven seasons as a coach at Texas A&M-Kingsville under 2012 College Football Hall of Fame inductee Head Coach Ron Harms. Ballard started his Javelinas coaching career in 1994 coaching the wide receivers. From 1995-99, he was the secondary coach. In his final season at Texas A&M-Kingsville, Ballard served as defensive coordinator. During his time with the Javelinas, Ballard helped mentor future NFL players Richard Jones, Karl Williams, Floyd Young and current Chiefs Defensive Assistant/Secondary Coach Al Harris. Those Javelinas teams produced first-round draft pick Jermaine Mayberry, as well. Ballard played four years of collegiate football at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1993. After suffering multiple knee injuries, Ballard served as a student assistant for his senior year. Education: Wisconsin (B.A. 1993). Family: Wife - Kristin; Children - Kierstyn, Cole, Sunnie, Cash, Rainn.

His success with the Bears alone is impressive

sorry if this has already been mentioned,, i think i've read most if not all of the 22 pages

52 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Why?

all those positions and success w/San Diego, in the saddle currently as interim GM.  Handles/oversees college AND pro scouting, salary cap....his resume is pretty impressive. As has Ballard, Raye has held about every title you can on the way up to GM.  quicker learning curve than ballard being in the org.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Adjusting-To-Role-As-Colts-Interim-General-Manager/1057d8fe-47af-42e1-9db7-1bdf8ce5152b

Ian Rapoport report which is ancient news (grain of salt but he got his info from someone inside likely)

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/22/report-jimmy-raye-iii-clear-frontrunner-colts-general-manager-opening/

EDIT:  I forgot that this happened (probably has affected his reporting ever since)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218226/Ian-Rapoport-NFL-reporter-hit-face-football-live-pre-game-coverage-sideline.html

26 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

Why would Ian report on ESPN? He's a NFL Network guy.

Whatever channel lol. I call every sport channel ESPN. I was watching the senior bowl practice rolling a j so I wasn't really paying attention. But when I went back to my living room to watch, it was Ian talking about us and I heard him say that. But I only caught the end. 

24 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

all those positions and success w/San Diego, in the saddle currently as interim GM.  Handles/oversees college AND pro scouting, salary cap....his resume is pretty impressive. As has Ballard, Raye has held about every title you can on the way up to GM.  quicker learning curve than ballard being in the org.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Adjusting-To-Role-As-Colts-Interim-General-Manager/1057d8fe-47af-42e1-9db7-1bdf8ce5152b

Ian Rapoport report which is ancient news (grain of salt but he got his info from someone inside likely)

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/22/report-jimmy-raye-iii-clear-frontrunner-colts-general-manager-opening/

EDIT:  I forgot that this happened (probably has affected his reporting ever since)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218226/Ian-Rapoport-NFL-reporter-hit-face-football-live-pre-game-coverage-sideline.html

Fair enough. I'll be honest...I thought you were going to say something along the line of it veing a smooth transition, or so Irsay can keep pagano around. I didnt expect a well thought out answer. You proved me wrong and I can give credit where credit is due. :)

I'll also say though that I hope you're wrong. Ballard and Paton are my top 2 choices. :)

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Fair enough. I'll be honest...I thought you were going to say something along the line of it veing a smooth transition, or so Irsay can keep pagano around. I didnt expect a well thought out answer. You proved me wrong and I can give credit where credit is due. :)

I'll also say though that I hope you're wrong. Ballard and Paton are my top 2 choices. :)

Same with Ballard and Paton. I'd be one happy guy if the hire is one of them.

John Clayton told Kevin Bowen he thinks it is between Ballard, Wolfe and JRIII.   He knows Paton well and says he is ticky about which job he wants.  Clayton doesn't think Paton wants the 49er job because he will have to answer to Kyle Shanahan .so Paton wants the Colts job.

24 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Thanks..... I like Ballard too.  This article (below) speaks very highly of him "Many people think  Ballard is one of the brightest minds in the league"..... also, this article says he turned down the 49ers interview where other articles say the team blocked him due to playoffs, perhaps his verbal decline came post-playoffs (now that i think about it, that's what would have happened).  Further, it says Dorsey rumors where he might go back to Green Bay are swirling, which would leave GM opening in KC and Ballard could step right in.  I say we snag him before that has a chance to happen.  Now we hear that Paton was a good interview..... things are heating up !!!!!

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/01/25/chiefs-chris-ballard-interviewing-colts/

9 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

John Clayton told Kevin Bowen he thinks it is between Ballard, Wolfe and JRIII.   He knows Paton well and says he is ticky about which job he wants.  Clayton doesn't think Paton wants the 49er job because he will have to answer to Kyle Shanahan .so Paton wants the Colts job.

So Paton wants the job, but isn't on the short list?