Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm not insinuating anything other than if Ballard is hired Chuck Pagano's ice becomes very perilously thin.  I know what Irsay said but I'm not buying yet that it's totally guaranteed Chuck will be back next season.  Irsay said Chuck is the coach for 2017.  Technically it's 2017 now and Chuck is the coach.  If Irsay allows the new GM to can Pagano before the season starts it's not like he would have necessarily contradicted anything he said at that presser.  lol 

1. Everything I've read says that the "robust staff" is his team of scouts, not coaches.

2. The length of fact manipulation you're going to to try to justify to yourself and others that Irsay would still fire Chuck is insane. He's not going anywhere and reportedly, all of the GM candidates accepted the interviews knowing that Chuck will be there in 2017.

It's actually a very good situation to be in for the new GM. They get a free year to have a solid draft, bring in good FA's, get settled in and not have to worry about the success or failure of the new coaches they brought in.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sure but he's not picking SF over us that's his last resort 

He ain't turned them down.  He's closer to getting in that door than in ours. If the door becomes open here and we want him then yes it's logical he'd take this job.

8 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I liked the look of Paton, but after a bit of research I agree with the majority. Chris Ballard looks to be the standout. Would love him at the helm.

Paton and Ballard are my top 2 favorites from the list.  One thing that kind of leans me towards Ballard is that he's coming from Kansas City, who runs a very similar type of defense as the current Colts.  So he's already in the practice of looking for players that fit the scheme Chuck is running.  That's not at all to say that Paton couldn't adjust...I'm sure he could.  Just saying that with Ballard there wouldn't really be an adjustment period in terms of figuring out what types of players to bring in.

In the long run, that's probably not going to be a major selling point for Ballard, but if he and another candidate come down to the wire and that's the one thing that separates them then I would lean towards Ballard.

On the flip side, there is one major negative that Ballard has going for him. If I counted right, he's the only candidate that has the same number of letters in his last name as Grigson.  So this probably takes precedence over any other positives he could bring. We should probably avoid him now that I think about it.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

Paton and Ballard are my top 2 favorites from the list.  One thing that kind of leans me towards Ballard is that he's coming from Kansas City, who runs a very similar type of defense as the current Colts.  So he's already in the practice of looking for players that fit the scheme Chuck is running.  That's not at all to say that Paton couldn't adjust...I'm sure he could.  Just saying that with Ballard there wouldn't really be an adjustment period in terms of figuring out what types of players to bring in.

In the long run, that's probably not going to be a major selling point for Ballard, but if he and another candidate come down to the wire and that's the one thing that separates them then I would lean towards Ballard.

On the flip side, there is one major negative that Ballard has going for him. If I counted right, he's the only candidate that has the same number of letters in his last name as Grigson.  So this probably takes precedence over any other positives he could bring. We should probably avoid him now that I think about it.

also is Ballard a former O lineman?

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

also is Ballard a former O lineman?

don't think so...so he has that going for him.  :)  

I was looking at his bio from the KC site and it says he played football for 4 years at U of Wisconsin-Madison, but doesn't specify the position he played.  However, he spent some time coaching, and when he did he was a Secondary Coach and then a defensive coordinator, so he most likely played in the secondary himself. 

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I was looking at his bio from the KC site and it says he played football for 4 years at U of Wisconsin-Madison, but doesn't specify the position he played.  However, he spent some time coaching, and when he did he was a Secondary Coach and then a defensive coordinator, so he most likely played in the secondary himself. 

Thought I heard he played QB 

Nope it was WR 

31 minutes ago, Shive said:

1. Everything I've read says that the "robust staff" is his team of scouts, not coaches.

2. The length of fact manipulation you're going to to try to justify to yourself and others that Irsay would still fire Chuck is insane. He's not going anywhere and reportedly, all of the GM candidates accepted the interviews knowing that Chuck will be there in 2017.

It's actually a very good situation to be in for the new GM. They get a free year to have a solid draft, bring in good FA's, get settled in and not have to worry about the success or failure of the new coaches they brought in.

1.  Ok..thanks for the info.

2.  You are probably right and it makes sense for this year at least.  Still you just never know.  Stranger things have happened.

8 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

which means he has an acumen for defense possibly

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

At least people have stopped hankering for Peyton now!

Well, when you have 6 candidates that are all better than Peyton, and two in particular that a lot of people want, it tends to help the situation. We also know Irsay is interviewing them, so there's a likely chance the forum gets who we want.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Thought I heard he played QB 

been looking and there doesn't appear to be a lot of information about him out there, but I did one site (unfortunately having trouble finding it again to provide the link) that indicated he was a WR. 

Just now, Jason_S said:

been looking and there doesn't appear to be a lot of information about him out there, but I did one site (unfortunately having trouble finding it again to provide the link) that indicated he was a WR. 

Yeah I added that earlier to my post. I think I heard QB on here about one of the candidates 

46 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You guys are making me superstitious lol. I'm going to take my name off Irsay's list and tell him I can't be the GM. My middle name is Ryan, and that is too close to Grigson. Just feel we wouldn't succeed for some reason if I was our GM.

If that's the case, you should leave the forum entirely.

10 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

According to this Ballard is "well connected" and would "build a robust staff". Sounds like a guy who will want to hire his own coach.  

And he may very well in 2018...and I agree with that. But Pagano here in 2017 is going to be part of the deal, IMO

I don't understand why Irsay would hire Raye... He is already working there and he isn't going anywhere this year. Unless he is head and shoulders above the other candidates wouldn't you rather have him along with one of these other candidates on board at the same time. If he ends up leaving in a year or two you have a spot for Manning. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I really hope this is true and we move onto a more analytics-friendly talent evaluation and game planning.

I'm not sure what the last sentence "Candidates trending young + irsay mentioned" really means - if it means anything.

I thought we already engaged with analytics in the scouting process?  Didn't we bring in a guy (or already have one) who was an advisor to Grigson last year?  I can't remember his name but I'm positive I saw an article and thread here dedicated to it.

1 hour ago, rickybobby said:

I don't understand why Irsay would hire Raye... He is already working there and he isn't going anywhere this year. Unless he is head and shoulders above the other candidates wouldn't you rather have him along with one of these other candidates on board at the same time. If he ends up leaving in a year or two you have a spot for Manning. 

This doesn't not make sense.

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm not insinuating anything other than if Ballard is hired Chuck Pagano's ice becomes very perilously thin.  I know what Irsay said but I'm not buying yet that it's totally guaranteed Chuck will be back next season.  Irsay said Chuck is the coach for 2017.  Technically it's 2017 now and Chuck is the coach.  If Irsay allows the new GM to can Pagano before the season starts it's not like he would have necessarily contradicted anything he said at that presser.  lol 

Paganos ice is already thin no matter who is hired. Next year is a make or break year for Chuck!!

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

He was actually a QB. I listened to an interview he did a couple years ago. He was on the offensive side of the ball, then eventually was a DC for a year, then went into scouting. Very interesting background, IMO.

Edit: Wide receiver, not QB. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-chris-ballard-gm-trivia-20150107-story.html

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He was actually a QB. I listened to an interview he did a couple years ago. He was on the offensive side of the ball, then eventually was a DC for a year, then went into scouting. Very interesting background, IMO.

that is interesting...the link I was referring to that I can't find now was an article on the Wisconsin site talking about potential break out WRs for the coming year and Ballard's name was listed.  That was literally (yes..literally) the only thing I could find that specified any kind of position for him. 

I thought going from WR coach to secondary coach at least made some sense...if he's not going to coach the position group that he played in then at least he's coaching the position group that had to stop him.  A QB would have that same type of info (about how to stop a WR) though so I guess that still makes some sense.  Moreso than if he'd gone from playing OL to coaching the secondary. lol

29 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

This doesn't not make sense.

what doesn't make sense?  He means that Raye is still under contract to continue on in his current position next year.  So if Raye is chosen as GM, he either keeps the previous title he had or they hire someone to replace him for that position.  If Irsay hires a different GM candidate, then Raye is still here next year (presumably..unless he requests a buy out) still in his current role.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edit: Wide receiver, not QB. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-chris-ballard-gm-trivia-20150107-story.html

haha...yeah I just found this too:

BIG TEN CAREER 
CHRIS BALLARD 
Wide Receiver/5-11/185/Sophomore-Freshman 
Texas City, TX (Texas City) 
1988 red-shirt who looks to earn a playing spot at 
wide receiver this fall. . . . a versatile athlete who 
came to the UW as a quarterback prospect. PREP: 
led his Texas City High School team to a 7-3 record 
as a senior in 1987. . . . passed for 548 yards and 
four TDs while also rushing for 722 yards and an 
8.5 yards-per-carry average. . . . greatest sports thrill 
was returning a kickoff 100 yards against the state 
champions as a sophomore. . . . earned three varsity 
letters in both football and track and field. . . . prep 
football coach was Joe George. PERSONAL: cur- 
rently enrolled in a pre-Law curriculum at Wisconsin, 
but is also interested in pharmacy. . . . hobbies 
include jogging and waterskiing. .... parents are J.A. 
and Jacque Matthews .... birthdate: 6/24/69 in 
Galveston, TX.

So looks like you weren't completely wrong and that's why the confusion.  He arrived at Wisconsin as a QB prospect but apparently transitioned to WR.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/UW/UW-idx?type=turn&entity=UW.Football1989.p0016&id=UW.Football1989&isize=text

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

what doesn't make sense?  He means that Raye is still under contract to continue on in his current position next year.  So if Raye is chosen as GM, he either keeps the previous title he had or they hire someone to replace him for that position.  If Irsay hires a different GM candidate, then Raye is still here next year (presumably..unless he requests a buy out) still in his current role.

He agrees with him. He said it does not not make sense. 

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not sure what the last sentence "Candidates trending young + irsay mentioned" really means - if it means anything.

I thought we already engaged with analytics in the scouting process?  Didn't we bring in a guy (or already have one) who was an advisor to Grigson last year?  I can't remember his name but I'm positive I saw an article and thread here dedicated to it.

From the way Grigson was portrayed in that scouting piece(gut feelings, old school scouting, etc) and with Pagano being an old school coach(grit, chopping wood, etc), I doubt analytics has played significant role in the Colts recently. They probably have some token participation, but I don't really trust they used any of it with the full understanding of its benefits and limitations.