Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, esmort said:

So Paton wants the job, but isn't on the short list? 

Yes.  He thinks Paton is worthy but for whatever reason not on Irsays short list.  It surprises me that he put Wolfe on the short list.  This guy must really be sharp to be so young and in contention.  He said Wolfe has a good shot at replacing Thompson in a few years but it isn't guaranteed, so he is interviewing like the rest of them in what they all seem to believe is a great job.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets just hire General Paton and call it a day and Peyton in as assistant to Football operations so he can learn the ropes. Then hire Gruden as Coach. Then we can throw a party, shots on me at that point!

You're nuts. How can you want Paton the GM, Peyton the Asst and NOT want Payton the coach. That's a trifecta right there. :D

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Article on Irsay from Profootballweekly's Hub Arkush:

The Way We Hear It:

Is Jim Irsay dumb like a fox?

Colts seem to have their pick of great GM candidates

...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

This should have its own thread.  But that would giv credit to Irsay and we can't have that around here.

haha

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The Way We Hear It:

...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

Good post.      Good find.     Thanks for sharing this!       :thmup:

15 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, for some reason I've thought it would be one of Raye III, Ballard, or Wolf.

Not a risky bet as there are only 6 candidates, but still, just the feeling I get.

Rumors are flying and they're everywhere.  We'll see who gets 2nd interviews and that'll tell us where we're at with teh candidates.  Raye is probably the only one we won't officially hear much about.  He's internal so while he'll be interviewed once, maybe twice, he's already in proximity with Irsay.  So we may not really hear much "official" talk about Raye III.

11 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

all those positions and success w/San Diego, in the saddle currently as interim GM.  Handles/oversees college AND pro scouting, salary cap....his resume is pretty impressive. As has Ballard, Raye has held about every title you can on the way up to GM.  quicker learning curve than ballard being in the org.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Adjusting-To-Role-As-Colts-Interim-General-Manager/1057d8fe-47af-42e1-9db7-1bdf8ce5152b

Ian Rapoport report which is ancient news (grain of salt but he got his info from someone inside likely)

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/22/report-jimmy-raye-iii-clear-frontrunner-colts-general-manager-opening/

EDIT:  I forgot that this happened (probably has affected his reporting ever since)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218226/Ian-Rapoport-NFL-reporter-hit-face-football-live-pre-game-coverage-sideline.html

I would have absolutely no problem with Jimmy Raye to be honest. He's got a longer resume than just about all these guys the forum is clucking about.  His resume includes several very good to Great defensive players and 3 Hall of Fame offensive players.    But you know association with Grigson trumps all that right?

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The Way We Hear It:

Good find.  I agree that Pagano's job isn't safe despite Irsay's comments.  But that's onlyl because no job is ever safe and things chagne on a dime.  If the new GM can improve at HC, I'm all for it.  At the same time, I'm not exactly thrilled about another Assistant Coach shuffle, something I'm sure Irsay will explore in his interview process.  But it could be for the best.  We'll see in the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I would have absolutely no problem with Jimmy Raye to be honest. He's got a longer resume than just about all these guys the forum is clucking about.  His resume includes Great defensive players and Hall of Fame offensive players.    But you know association with Grigson trumps all that right?

Ballard has just as long a resume. And he recently put a good defense together. And he has his own scout team(which I would much rather have than the ones we've had)

I want an outside guy, I want a change. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Ballard has just as long a resume. And he recently put a good defense together. And he has his own scout team(which I would much rather have than the ones we've had)

Doesn't matter when it was done, it was done. Did Ballard have Ryan Grigson at the head of the decision making? Does Ballard have any Hall of Fame players on his list that he was directly involved in the selection of?  And who told you changes wouldn't be made if Raye were in control.  He's his own man.

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He could maybe sway one of Berry or Poe to come here! haha

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Doesn't matter when it was done, it was done. Did Ballard have Ryan Grigson at the head of the decision making? Does Ballard have any Hall of Fame players on his list that he was directly involved in the selection of?  And who told you changes wouldn't be made if Raye were in control.  He's his own man.

Didn't say it did. Don't see how the next two questions matter. And nobody, I'm just saying why I want one candidate over Jimmy Raye. Ballard is a guarantee to bring his own scouts(whom I want)

sorry if you don't agree with me but I can make reasonable assumptions. How do we know Raye will bring in his own scouts? We don't. He may or may not .

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Didn't say it did. Don't see how the next two questions matter. And nobody, I'm just saying why I want one candidate over Jimmy Raye. Ballard is a guarantee to bring his own scouts(whom I want)

sorry if you don't agree with me. 

I want ballard as much as you only person I wanted more was DeCosta and he's not an option so I'll take second best!!

1 minute ago, krunk said:

It's Free Agency, only dollars sway that.

come on now...dollars aren't the only thing that matters to every free agent.  Sure that probably applies to the vast majority, but every year we hear about players who took a little less money to go to a contender, or to go to a team with a specific coach they wanted to play for, or they were looking for a team with a solid QB etc etc. :)

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

come on now...dollars aren't the only thing that matters to every free agent.  Sure that probably applies to the vast majority, but every year we hear about players who took a little less money to go to a contender, or to go to a team with a specific coach they wanted to play for, or they were looking for a team with a solid QB etc etc. :)

There's a team that specializes in getting players to do this, having trouble coming up with the name. I think their logo looks like a flying elvis.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

sorry if you don't agree with me. 

You're right I don't agree. You tried to put it out there as if what Ballard did recently was more significant.  Maybe I'm digging too far here but I took that to mean "Hey Jimmy Rayes been bad recently".  My counter to that outside of absolutely not knowing what role Raye played in any of Grigsons failures is that Ballard did not have Grigs at the head of his decision making.  Maybe I read too much into what you put out there.

11 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

He ain't coming here because of the GM and you know that. Show me the last player that took less money to be with a GM of a team he was with before? I have seen players do it for coaches or schemes they've been with before or the success of a franchise.  That's usually the two primary drivers outside of money.  So I will expand on what I said to clarify.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're right I don't agree. You tried to put it out there as if what Ballard did recently was more significant.  Maybe I'm digging too far here but I took that to mean "Hey Jimmy Rayes been bad recently".  My counter to that outside of absolutely not knowing what role Raye played in any of Grigsons failures is that Ballard did not have Grigs at the head of his decision making.  Maybe I read too much into what you put out there.

Yeah I didn't mean it like that, just saying he built a good defense recently. And we know Ballard will bring his own staff(whom I want), we don't know if Raye will use the current scouts or what. And I just want a complete change! Just my opinion !

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah I didn't mean it like that, just saying he built a good defense recently. And we know Ballard will bring his own staff(whom I want), we don't know if Raye will use the current scouts or what. And I just want a complete change! Just my opinion !

I can dig it!  We ain't all got to be in the same boat but we all want the team to win. 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

He ain't coming here because of the GM and you know that. Show me the last player that took less money to be with a GM of a team he was with before? I have seen players do it for coaches or schemes they've been with before or the success of a franchise.  That's usually the two primary drivers outside of money.  So I will expand on what I said to clarify.

I merely pointed out that money is not the only factor in every FA's decision.  That doesn't mean I support the idea that a player would take less money to play for a certain GM.  :)

21 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I merely pointed out that money is not the only factor in every FA's decision.  That doesn't mean I support the idea that a player would take less money to play for a certain GM.  :)

Well the Colts would have cash a similar scheme on D a great QB and a GM that he has worked with before :)

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Finally the Colts doing something exciting for once haha 

This-is-so-Exciting-Pineapple-Express.gi

Yeah, it is different this time around.

My recollection of when Jim brought on Grigson & Pagano, it seemed we were unaware of who they were, and had to do a bit of digging to find their accomplishments.

Seems the names are bigger this time.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

JMV said the decision will be made by the end of this week.

Does he still think it's somebody other than Raye?

Some were saying that he definitely said it won't be Raye, but I tried to listen and could only find where he said he didn't think it will be him.