Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ColtsStrong86

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

Recommended Posts

Jim Irsay has a tough, tough couple days ahead of him figuring out who of these very talented guys is the exact right fit.  Can we hire several of these guys and put a couple on the practice squad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just hire General Paton and call it a day and bring Peyton in as assistant to Football operations so he can learn the ropes. Then hire Gruden as Coach. Then we can throw a party, shots on me at that point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esmort said:

 

So Paton wants the job, but isn't on the short list? 

Yes.  He thinks Paton is worthy but for whatever reason not on Irsays short list.  It surprises me that he put Wolfe on the short list.  This guy must really be sharp to be so young and in contention.  He said Wolfe has a good shot at replacing Thompson in a few years but it isn't guaranteed, so he is interviewing like the rest of them in what they all seem to believe is a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets just hire General Paton and call it a day and Peyton in as assistant to Football operations so he can learn the ropes. Then hire Gruden as Coach. Then we can throw a party, shots on me at that point!

 

You're nuts. How can you want Paton the GM, Peyton the Asst and NOT want Payton the coach. That's a trifecta right there. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

 

You're nuts. How can you want Paton the GM, Peyton the Asst and NOT want Payton the coach. That's a trifecta right there. :D

Even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Article on Irsay from Profootballweekly's Hub Arkush:

 

The Way We Hear It:

Is Jim Irsay dumb like a fox?

Colts seem to have their pick of great GM candidates

 

 ...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

 

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

 

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

 

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

 

 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

This should have its own thread.  But that would giv credit to Irsay and we can't have that around here.

haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Article on Irsay from Profootballweekly's Hub Arkush:

 

The Way We Hear It:

Is Jim Irsay dumb like a fox?

Colts seem to have their pick of great GM candidates

 

 ...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

 

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

 

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

 

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

 

 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

 

Good post.      Good find.     Thanks for sharing this!       :thmup:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, for some reason I've thought it would be one of Raye III, Ballard, or Wolf.

Not a risky bet as there are only 6 candidates, but still, just the feeling I get.

Rumors are flying and they're everywhere.  We'll see who gets 2nd interviews and that'll tell us where we're at with teh candidates.  Raye is probably the only one we won't officially hear much about.  He's internal so while he'll be interviewed once, maybe twice, he's already in proximity with Irsay.  So we may not really hear much "official" talk about Raye III.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

all those positions and success w/San Diego, in the saddle currently as interim GM.  Handles/oversees college AND pro scouting, salary cap....his resume is pretty impressive. As has Ballard, Raye has held about every title you can on the way up to GM.  quicker learning curve than ballard being in the org.

 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Adjusting-To-Role-As-Colts-Interim-General-Manager/1057d8fe-47af-42e1-9db7-1bdf8ce5152b

 

Ian Rapoport report which is ancient news (grain of salt but he got his info from someone inside likely)

 

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/22/report-jimmy-raye-iii-clear-frontrunner-colts-general-manager-opening/

 

EDIT:  I forgot that this happened (probably has affected his reporting ever since)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218226/Ian-Rapoport-NFL-reporter-hit-face-football-live-pre-game-coverage-sideline.html

I would have absolutely no problem with Jimmy Raye to be honest. He's got a longer resume than just about all these guys the forum is clucking about.  His resume includes several very good to Great defensive players and 3 Hall of Fame offensive players.    But you know association with Grigson trumps all that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Article on Irsay from Profootballweekly's Hub Arkush:

 

The Way We Hear It:

Is Jim Irsay dumb like a fox?

Colts seem to have their pick of great GM candidates

 

 ...A source close to the situation in Indianapolis tells us that as the other clubs' searches went on and were eventually completed, Irsay was stunned that almost all of the top general manager and head coaching prospects were still available...

 

Ironically, it’s Irsay who now has the field all to himself as he goes prospecting for gold.

 

Additionally, while it seems highly likely if not certain Kyle Shanahan will take the 49ers job, he, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, Mike Smith and Todd Haley were all as highly and in most cases more highly rated than the assistants who’ve been awarded head coaching jobs so far.

 

Were told that should Irsay manage to land Caserio or Ballard in the near future, and one of them can convince one of the remaining top head coaching prospects that he and Luck offer a job too good to pass up in spite of Irsay's comments to date, Pagano may not be out of the woods yet either, and Irsay may end up making some of his fellow owners look like amateurs. 

 

 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/01/26/the-way-we-hear-it-is-jim-irsay-dumb-like-a-fox/at5d8ao/

Good find.  I agree that Pagano's job isn't safe despite Irsay's comments.  But that's onlyl because no job is ever safe and things chagne on a dime.  If the new GM can improve at HC, I'm all for it.  At the same time, I'm not exactly thrilled about another Assistant Coach shuffle, something I'm sure Irsay will explore in his interview process.  But it could be for the best.  We'll see in the coming weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I would have absolutely no problem with Jimmy Raye to be honest. He's got a longer resume than just about all these guys the forum is clucking about.  His resume includes Great defensive players and Hall of Fame offensive players.    But you know association with Grigson trumps all that right?

Ballard has just as long a resume. And he recently put a good defense together. And he has his own scout team(which I would much rather have than the ones we've had)

I want an outside guy, I want a change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Ballard has just as long a resume. And he recently put a good defense together. And he has his own scout team(which I would much rather have than the ones we've had)

I want an outside guy, I want a change. 

Doesn't matter when it was done, it was done. Did Ballard have Ryan Grigson at the head of the decision making? Does Ballard have any Hall of Fame players on his list that he was directly involved in the selection of?  And who told you changes wouldn't be made if Raye were in control.  He's his own man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Ballard has just as long a resume. And he recently put a good defense together. And he has his own scout team(which I would much rather have than the ones we've had)

I want an outside guy, I want a change. 

He could maybe sway one of Berry or Poe to come here! haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Doesn't matter when it was done, it was done. Did Ballard have Ryan Grigson at the head of the decision making? Does Ballard have any Hall of Fame players on his list that he was directly involved in the selection of?  And who told you changes wouldn't be made if Raye were in control.  He's his own man.

Didn't say it did. Don't see how the next two questions matter. And nobody, I'm just saying why I want one candidate over Jimmy Raye. Ballard is a guarantee to bring his own scouts(whom I want)

sorry if you don't agree with me but I can make reasonable assumptions. How do we know Raye will bring in his own scouts? We don't. He may or may not .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He could maybe sway one of Berry or Poe to come here! haha

It's Free Agency, only dollars sway that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Didn't say it did. Don't see how the next two questions matter. And nobody, I'm just saying why I want one candidate over Jimmy Raye. Ballard is a guarantee to bring his own scouts(whom I want)

sorry if you don't agree with me. 

I want ballard as much as you only person I wanted more was DeCosta and he's not an option so I'll take second best!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

It's Free Agency, only dollars sway that.

 

come on now...dollars aren't the only thing that matters to every free agent.  Sure that probably applies to the vast majority, but every year we hear about players who took a little less money to go to a contender, or to go to a team with a specific coach they wanted to play for, or they were looking for a team with a solid QB etc etc. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

 

come on now...dollars aren't the only thing that matters to every free agent.  Sure that probably applies to the vast majority, but every year we hear about players who took a little less money to go to a contender, or to go to a team with a specific coach they wanted to play for, or they were looking for a team with a solid QB etc etc. :)

There's a team that specializes in getting players to do this, having trouble coming up with the name. I think their logo looks like a flying elvis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Didn't say it did. Don't see how the next two questions matter. And nobody, I'm just saying why I want one candidate over Jimmy Raye. Ballard is a guarantee to bring his own scouts(whom I want)

sorry if you don't agree with me. 

You're right I don't agree. You tried to put it out there as if what Ballard did recently was more significant.  Maybe I'm digging too far here but I took that to mean "Hey Jimmy Rayes been bad recently".  My counter to that outside of absolutely not knowing what role Raye played in any of Grigsons failures is that Ballard did not have Grigs at the head of his decision making.  Maybe I read too much into what you put out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

 

come on now...dollars aren't the only thing that matters to every free agent.  Sure that probably applies to the vast majority, but every year we hear about players who took a little less money to go to a contender, or to go to a team with a specific coach they wanted to play for, or they were looking for a team with a solid QB etc etc. :)

He ain't coming here because of the GM and you know that. Show me the last player that took less money to be with a GM of a team he was with before? I have seen players do it for coaches or schemes they've been with before or the success of a franchise.  That's usually the two primary drivers outside of money.  So I will expand on what I said to clarify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're right I don't agree. You tried to put it out there as if what Ballard did recently was more significant.  Maybe I'm digging too far here but I took that to mean "Hey Jimmy Rayes been bad recently".  My counter to that outside of absolutely not knowing what role Raye played in any of Grigsons failures is that Ballard did not have Grigs at the head of his decision making.  Maybe I read too much into what you put out there.

Yeah I didn't mean it like that, just saying he built a good defense recently. And we know Ballard will bring his own staff(whom I want), we don't know if Raye will use the current scouts or what. And I just want a complete change! Just my opinion !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah I didn't mean it like that, just saying he built a good defense recently. And we know Ballard will bring his own staff(whom I want), we don't know if Raye will use the current scouts or what. And I just want a complete change! Just my opinion !

I can dig it!  We ain't all got to be in the same boat but we all want the team to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, krunk said:

He ain't coming here because of the GM and you know that. Show me the last player that took less money to be with a GM of a team he was with before? I have seen players do it for coaches or schemes they've been with before or the success of a franchise.  That's usually the two primary drivers outside of money.  So I will expand on what I said to clarify.

 

I merely pointed out that money is not the only factor in every FA's decision.  That doesn't mean I support the idea that a player would take less money to play for a certain GM.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

 

I merely pointed out that money is not the only factor in every FA's decision.  That doesn't mean I support the idea that a player would take less money to play for a certain GM.  :)

Well the Colts would have cash a similar scheme on D a great QB and a GM that he has worked with before :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well the Colts would have cash a similar scheme on D a great QB and a GM that he has worked with before :)

That's a plus with Ballard I'll say that.  The scheme is exactly the same on defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

 

Sources say he would take the Colts job if offered. 

Vikings have drafted well so I wouldn't mind him.  Of the guys in the running him or The guy from KC would be my choice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, Raye is the least desirable of the group, but any are leaps and bounds ahead of Grigson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

so who else was interviewed before Grigson was hired?

Bevis and Butthead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Finally the Colts doing something exciting for once haha 

This-is-so-Exciting-Pineapple-Express.gi

 

Yeah, it is different this time around.

My recollection of when Jim brought on Grigson & Pagano, it seemed we were unaware of who they were, and had to do a bit of digging to find their accomplishments.

 

Seems the names are bigger this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

JMV said the decision will be made by the end of this week.


Does he still think it's somebody other than Raye?

Some were saying that he definitely said it won't be Raye, but I tried to listen and could only find where he said he didn't think it will be him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This is the message board equivalent of a pick 6    
    • They really feel invincible at the highest level of sports, look at any professional sports team in the country, look at their franchise value compared to 10 years ago, even 5 years ago,the values not only go up they go way up, the sorriest franchise of the last 50 years the Clippers sold for over a billion a few years ago, the Clippers, a team you couldn't pay most people to sit and watch for two hours, are worth over a billion!!! Sports franchises can basically do whatever they want, they will never have any competition, so here are the options 1. quit cold turkey, and when people bring up sports, just say I used to watch it before.. or just avoid. drawback-if you had a past addiction, you will have to avoid going out to eat on Sunday, because almost every place has on the game. 2. become a casual fan who only watches if they make the Super Bowl (the I only watch for the halftime and commercials fan)drawback-this one works easier if you are female  3. put all the weekend energy into something else, lakes, crafts & woodwork, R&R, travel,outdoors, family, because there literally is nothing on the TV to watch on the weekends besides live sports. drawback-living in the northern part of the U.S.  4. go to radio/internet only, something I have done in the past, most of the changes will evaporate and it is just about the game& field position, drawbacks-instant replay 5. continue to be a fan, but let them know your opinion, and become an outspoken critic, let them know your displeasure constantly week after week, and when they say "go find another team", or "we don't want you as a fan", don't listen to them, and just articulate your displeasure. If enough people do this, they will listen they will have to, don't believe me, take a look at how many sports franchises change their logo and uniforms and a decade later they add a third jersey, and eventually the classic jersey is back. Brewers, Padres, Astros, Blue Jays, NY Giants, Chargers, Rams,Islanders, Sabres, Capitals, Coyotes, Pistons, 76ers, Warriors, etc drawback-people will avoid you like covid-19
    • I'd actually put Pittman ahead of Taylor due to the situations they are both coming into.
    • My over/under on Mahomes SB wins as a starter is 2.5. He still is young so it is possible he could win 3? Only 12 OB's have won 2 or more as a starter, winning 3 is really tough. Only Brady who has won 6, Bradshaw 4, Montana 4, and Aikman 3 have done so. Peyton didn't get #2 until his final season. Rodgers and Brees still only have 1 and look how great they have been. There are rarity's like Eli and Ben winning 2 but they had great defenses in doing so, Chiefs defense is ok but nowhere near great.
    • Probably has a higher GDP than a couple small countries lol
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...