Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think next work week.  Still have to do 2nd interviews. Right?

I don't think there will be 2nd interviews, which I find interesting.

I think JMV means Saturday, which Irsay did recently do a press conference on a Saturday so it kind of makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

based on?   Did he say Saturday or imply it in some way?  (not being sarcastic, genuinely don't know..didn't get to listen to it)

Brad Wells (I know, I know x4000) tweeted that end of the week = Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, corgi said:

Brad Wells (I know, I know x4000) tweeted that end of the week = Saturday. 

Even aside from that, I can see Irsay wanting to do the presser on the weekend, just like he did his most recent presser on Saturday. Nice for the fans to watch.

Not to mention, I know he likes to move slow and cautiously, but I don't think he's going to want to announce that close to the SB.

Irsay, please please please, on the behalf of the most of the fans on here as well as myself: hire Ballard or Paton (prefer Ballard but reports suggesting that Paton killed the interview put him in the conversation as well). 

The morale of all the fans will exponentially increase, not to mention it will be even more interesting following the pre-draft and draft process with a defensively skilled GM. 

If you hire Raye, after all of those amazing candidates, this forum WILL blow up. 

31 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Maybe Irsay wants the new GM to be on the staff in time for the kickoff of the Senior Bowl?

I'd think he would.  Granted, these guys will probably be there anyway with their current teams, but they could be scouting different types of players for their current team than they would if they were with the Colts.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

that was my first thought too, but I'm sure 1959Colts reported exactly what JMV said so likely JMV didn't specify. :)

You would be right. JMV said he was told it would be done by the end of the week, JMV didn't specify because his source didn't specify. Thats how I understood it anyway.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

That would be pretty awesome. Him or Paton is who I'm hoping for.

I can't see a decision being made this weekend. I could be totally wrong, but the last interviews are being done today. I'm assuming Irsay wants a couple days to ruminate, and if it's NOT Jimmy Raye, he'll have to figure out a way to keep or replace him pretty quickly. I just think it's going to be a few days still...

13 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I'd think he would.  Granted, these guys will probably be there anyway with their current teams, but they could be scouting different types of players for their current team than they would if they were with the Colts.

Yeah, if he plays D, he'd be scouted by the Colts this year. :)

No stone unturned, remember... :thmup:

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I can't see a decision being made this weekend. I could be totally wrong, but the last interviews are being done today. I'm assuming Irsay wants a couple days to ruminate, and if it's NOT Jimmy Raye, he'll have to figure out a way to keep or replace him pretty quickly. I just think it's going to be a few days still...

You very well could be right, but its probably also true that the Colts would want their GM to be at the senior bowl. I guess we will see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah. Which is why, if there is actually an announcement/decision by tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised it's Raye.

But I agree with you on being kind of surprised if it's made by tomorrow, especially with how slow Irsay's moved so far.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree. Only way I think the decision is made is if one of the candidates was way better than everyone else.

I have a feeling it's Ballard. Just like I knew a Irsay didn't keep the world in the dark for 3 weeks for nothing, I don't think he lined up all these interviews with top candidates just to stay in house. If Raye wowed him that much it would have been an immediate hire.

12 minutes ago, corgi said:

I agree. Only way I think the decision is made is if one of the candidates was way better than everyone else.

Or, to play the pessimistic cynical guy, Irsay knew all along he wanted Raye and wanted to make it look like a legitimate search. And delving even further into paranoid conspiracy, Irsay put his interview last to appear as if Raye blew him away and made it an easy decision.

But I just can't see Irsay doing that, especially not with whatever advice Polian is giving him.

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah. Which is why, if there is actually an announcement/decision by tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised it's Raye...

You make a good point. But keep in mind...

It's JMV who is reporting Irsay will be making his decision by weeks end.

JMV also reported yesterday, It will not be Raye.

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Or, to play the pessimistic cynical guy, Irsay knew all along he wanted Raye and wanted to make it look like a legitimate search. And delving even further into conspiracy, Irsay put his interview last to make it appear as if Raye blew him away and made it an easy decision.

But I just can't see Irsay doing that, especially not with whatever advice Polian is giving him.

If Irsay continues his "consistency, continuity, time-space continuum theory" practices, he will definitely go with Raye. (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing),  If he is getting good advice and thinking out of the box, he will at the very least, consider Ballard, Wolf, and Paton... twins from Seattle are out IMO.  Further, if he has it down to let's say 3 people, I would say they are Ballard, Paton & Raye.  Of those 3 I would guess that Ballard has gotten the most compliments from "positive people-speak" around the league, so now were down to Ballard and Raye.  I think those are the two he will "ruminate" on over the weekend (SUPERMAN gets the word of the day for RUMINATE).  No, it's not an exceptionally long complex looking word, but it HAS to be the word of the day....bravo !!!

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

You make a good point. But keep in mind...

It's JMV who is reporting Irsay will be making his decision by weeks end.

JMV also reported yesterday, It will not be Raye.

Oh yeah, I actually asked abut what JMV said before.

I tried to listen but I only got the impression that JMV thinks it won't be Raye, not that he knows.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh yeah, I actually asked abut what JMV said before.Quote

I tried to listen but I only got the impression that JMV thinks it won't be Raye, not that he knows.

I really don't put too much faith in any of these reports.

I'm just saying, JMV seems to be the most reliable, and his source is reporting two findings:

(1) A quick decision

(2) Not Raye

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh yeah, I actually asked abut what JMV said before.

I think you are right. I listened to the opening of JMV today and all i heard him say was that he has no idea who the hire is going to be and that he was told earlier this week to think outside the organization which is why he changed his mind from the weekend when he thought it would be Raye.   

Just now, indy1888 said:

I think you are right. I listened to the opening of JMV today and all i heard him say was that he has no idea who the hire is going to be and that he was told earlier this week to think outside the organization which is why he changed his mind from the weekend when he thought it would be Raye.   

Did you hear him say a decision by the end of the week?

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I really don't put too much faith in any of these reports.

I'm just saying, JMV seems to be the most reliable, and he reports two findings:

(1) A quick decision

(2) Not Raye

Oh definitely, if there's one guy everybody should at least keep an ear out for regarding Colts news, it's JMV.

I just didn't hear him speak so definitively on Raye, only that he "thinks" he won't get the job. Then again, him saying that could imply in itself that he knows.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh definitely, if there's one guy everybody should at least keep an ear out for regarding Colts news, it's JMV.

I just didn't hear him speak so definitively on Raye, only that he "thinks" he won't get the job. Then again, him saying that could imply in itself that he knows.

My hope is, if JMV is right about one, he's right about the other.