Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV said he was told Raye won't be the GM, and that we will know who the hire is very soon. 

Over the weekend JMV was guessing it would end up being Raye, not what he was told just was his gut feeling. Clearly he has now heard something different.  He is about as reliable as they get so i believe him.

10 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV said he was told Raye won't be the GM, and that we will know who the hire is very soon. 

Good, because of all the names listed as Raye being instrumental in bringing in (LT, Brees, Gates, Harrison, Good, Kerr) the only defensive player is Kerr, and that doesn't instill confidence in his ability to build a defense. I'm sure he's had his hand in other players, but I haven't seen any mentioned (although I have missed a few pages of this thread).

2 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Over the weekend JMV was guessing it would end up being Raye, not what he was told just was his gut feeling. Clearly he has now heard something different.  He is about as reliable as they get so i believe him.

Can  JMV  get a read about Chuck going too or not?

4 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Can  JMV  get a read about Chuck going too or not?

I haven't been able to catch any of his show today. But he has said for weeks he has heard nothing about any new names as far as head coaches go other then Gruden. Irsay seemed pretty certain that it would be Chuck for another year and they just hired a new assistant today as well so i'm not expecting a change there. Anything could happen though.

31 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Good, because of all the names listed as Raye being instrumental in bringing in (LT, Brees, Gates, Harrison, Good, Kerr) the only defensive player is Kerr, and that doesn't instill confidence in his ability to build a defense. I'm sure he's had his hand in other players, but I haven't seen any mentioned (although I have missed a few pages of this thread).

He was responsible for Antonio Cromartie, Quentin Jammer, Luis Castillo, Shawn Merriman, Shaun Phillips among others.  All very good to great players in their younger days.  Looks like you can add Eric Weddles name to the list as well. Defensive players.

Who exactly do you expect is going to be lights out from amongst UDFAs?

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

He was responsible for Antonio Cromartie, Quentin Jammer, Luis Castillo, Shawn Merriman, Shaun Phillips among others.  All very good to great players in their younger days.  Looks like you can add Eric Weddles name to the list as well. Defensive players.

Who exactly do you expect is going to be lights out from amongst UDFAs?

Thanks for the information. If Raye had his hand in those players then kudos to him. That's more of what I was looking for from a candidate.

You know what I find interesting? Out of all 6 candidates, the majority (I believe 4) have had a top 10 defense for atleast the past year (if not further back). The only exception to this rule is Wolf and the Packers D. But the thing about the Packers is that everyone in the NFL knows that they are the best at drafting talent and keeping them so one can even overlook that. The only outlier in this is Raye. 

Now I am not saying that Raye doesn't know how to draft well or that he hasn't been responsible for a strong defense (He has been part of front offices that have drafted some superstars in the past). What I am saying is that Raye, apart from being the in-house candidate, is very very different than the others. In the Grigson era, he is known for heading the scouting and the UDFA process even though Grigson had the final decision rights. Yes, Grigson probably didn't listen to him on most accounts but he probably doesn't have as much of a recent resume as the other candidates. Irsay has to, which I am sure he doesn't, see that.

If you see this, you can clearly tell that Irsay has assembled a group of guys that are A. from excellent franchises, B. are responsible for building top 10 defenses, and C. draft well. Irsay is focusing on getting this defense to go from league bottom to above average in several years because he probably knows by now that he isn't gonna win super bowl wins with a bad defense. I think that, along with recent rumors, I can put money on the fact that I think Raye will not our next GM. 

And on a side note, think about this: If we don't promote Raye, there is a good chance he isn't going anywhere (Irsay could ask the new GM to keep Raye at the worst scenario). There is more upside to signing someone else (who could be an incredible home run) AND still have Raye vs. upgrading Raye, hoping for the best and missing out on the other guys. 

38 minutes ago, masnerj said:

You know what I find interesting? Out of all 6 candidates, the majority (I believe 4) have had a top 10 defense for atleast the past year (if not further back). The only exception to this rule is Wolf and the Packers D. But the thing about the Packers is that everyone in the NFL knows that they are the best at drafting talent and keeping them so one can even overlook that. The only outlier in this is Raye. 

Now I am not saying that Raye doesn't know how to draft well or that he hasn't been responsible for a strong defense (He has been part of front offices that have drafted some superstars in the past). What I am saying is that Raye, apart from being the in-house candidate, is very very different than the others. In the Grigson era, he is known for heading the scouting and the UDFA process even though Grigson had the final decision rights. Yes, Grigson probably didn't listen to him on most accounts but he probably doesn't have as much of a recent resume as the other candidates. Irsay has to, which I am sure he doesn't, see that.

If you see this, you can clearly tell that Irsay has assembled a group of guys that are A. from excellent franchises, B. are responsible for building top 10 defenses, and C. draft well. Irsay is focusing on getting this defense to go from league bottom to above average in several years because he probably knows by now that he isn't gonna win super bowl wins with a bad defense. I think that, along with recent rumors, I can put money on the fact that I think Raye will not our next GM. 

And on a side note, think about this: If we don't promote Raye, there is a good chance he isn't going anywhere (Irsay could ask the new GM to keep Raye at the worst scenario). There is more upside to signing someone else (who could be an incredible home run) AND still have Raye vs. upgrading Raye, hoping for the best and missing out on the other guys. 

Very good post.

But I wouldn't bet the Farm that if we hire someone else,  that Raye would stay.

He might.     But he might also feel like it would be best for all parties concerned if he went elsewhere for a fresh start.      I think that's entirely possible.     

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm not saying the part in bold is wrong,  but I find it interesting.

A few weeks back,  so, before the Grigson announcement,  on ESPN,  Polian was describing the process of the interview process for a GM candidate.     Did a huge breakdown of everything you're going to talk about it.

He called it roughly a 12 hour process with each candidate.

If we're just starting that process now,  but with 6 interviews to do, it's hard to see how this is going to get done in less than a week.

I'm not saying it won't,  but I'd love to be the fly on the wall.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

A few weeks back,  so, before the Grigson announcement,  on ESPN,  Polian was describing the process of the interview process for a GM candidate.     Did a huge breakdown of everything you're going to talk about it.

If we're just starting that process now,  but with 6 interviews to do, it's hard to see how this is going to get done in less than a week.

Can you imagine how many times Irsay will say "umm" in those interviews?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I read "soon" to mean within a matter of days. Irsay fired Bill Polian on January 3, hired Ryan Grigson on January 11. I assume he'll make a hire before the Super Bowl. 

3 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Letspropitup is tweeting a press conference will announce Chuck is out next Tuesday. Bill Belichick is rumored to have met with Irsay about the job...

I couldnt even imagine. The reaction would be louder than Trump's election, the guys at ESPN would lose their minds, youd hear the cries of grown men and their wives and children, the earth would reverse rotation, and the magnetic poles reversed.

Ballard is the standout candidate to me but I don't get the negativity towards Raye. He looks a decent enough candidate. 

We shouldn't take him out of contention just because he was behind Grigson...we don't know what his advice towards the decisions were and the choices weren't ultimately his. Apart from Ballard he'd be the most attractive candidate IF Payton was also brought on board to assist and learn.

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I couldnt even imagine. The reaction would be louder than Trump's election, the guys at ESPN would lose their minds, youd hear the cries of grown men and their wives and children, the earth would reverse rotation, and the magnetic poles reversed.

Cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!

34 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Ballard is the standout candidate to me but I don't get the negativity towards Raye. He looks a decent enough candidate. 

We shouldn't take him out of contention just because he was behind Grigson...we don't know what his advice towards the decisions were and the choices weren't ultimately his. Apart from Ballard he'd be the most attractive candidate IF Payton was also brought on board to assist and learn.

Irsay should know, which is all that matters....

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I hope youre not insuating that he won't take the job because Chuck is here for 1 year. And how do you know he isn't talking about scouts ?

I'm not insinuating anything other than if Ballard is hired Chuck Pagano's ice becomes very perilously thin.  I know what Irsay said but I'm not buying yet that it's totally guaranteed Chuck will be back next season.  Irsay said Chuck is the coach for 2017.  Technically it's 2017 now and Chuck is the coach.  If Irsay allows the new GM to can Pagano before the season starts it's not like he would have necessarily contradicted anything he said at that presser.  lol