Grigson fired.

Dustin

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oldunclemark said:

I dont know....if that was true you'd do both at the same time

Yeah, that's what is kinda odd about it.  Irsay did say that Pagano and Grigson were tied at the hip, so with one of them gone, the other should be gone soon too.  And a new GM would likely want to bring in his own choice for HC

He did NOTHING to earn another year. Bust after bust in the first round while our OL gets Luck killed. His biggest accomplishment was getting an over the hill running back to get crushed by our horrible line. I guess we won't go WR or CB with the first pick this year.

Not just the draft, but he must lead the lead in signing free agents that aren't worth 1/2 of what they got. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I don't understand the wait. Kinda putting us in a bit of a jam with free agency coming up. Gonna have a new front office and a lot of cap money to spend.

The one good thing about grigson was the fact that he almost always made sure to have his deals be team friendly.

My educated guess is that Irsay was in hunt for next GM, which has ended now.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

exactly...otherwise, you'd fire them BOTH at the same time

Not true.

Remember, not too long ago Colts fired Polian and then left Caldwell out to dry for two weeks.

Likely, the incoming GM will have say whether Pagano stays or goes... ala Caldwell/Grigson in 2012.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but Paganos head is going to rest on whomever the next GM is and they'll probably want their own coach. 

Just thinking outside the box for a moment. If Irsay shocked the world and brought in Peyton (with no front office experience) as the GM, then it might be a good idea to keep Pagano for at least a year while Peyton learns the trade.

1 minute ago, NorthernColt said:

LOL what happened to that article the other day of that guy saying he doesn't know whats going to happen except for the fact that Grigson will not be going anywhere hahaha.

Great news though. I wonder if this means the Manning thing is back on.

Has to be, NC....right?

You don't make this move to hire Field Yates and Marc Trestman

I've never been more happy to be wrong. This was definitely the right move and I'm glad Jim didn't mix personal feelings with business feelings. You just couldn't justify keeping Ryan as the GM. I'm not a Pagano fan by any means either, but he was definitely not given the greatest talent to coach

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And here is the ESPN story......

I confess I didn't see this coming....

Figured if Grigson went,  then Pagano does too.....

Brian Guntekunst, Packers head of scouting for GM, please!!!

I guess Grigson must have told Irsay "I'm one tough son of a <insert whatever>" and it did not sit well with Irsay who considered him his son <\sarcasm> :)

Some reading material while we wait for the press conference.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/21/colts-fire-ryan-grigson/

It has been widely reported that Irsay would love to change the structure of his front office and work out a deal to put Peyton Manning in charge. It is unclear if firing Grigson is a step toward hiring Manning, or whether Irsay just decided to can Grigson and start searching for a new G.M. now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18525693/indianapolis-colts-fire-general-manager-ryan-grigson

There was a disconnect between coach Chuck Pagano and the players with Grigson. The coach and general manager's relationship was so strained that it got to the point that they barely talked during the 2015 season. Several current and former players said it felt like Grigson had no desire to develop a relationship with them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777187/article/colts-firing-general-manager-ryan-grigson

"I would say it would be unlikely for any changes to occur, honestly," Irsay said at Winter League Meeting. "It's unlikely, but look, we'll see when we sit down and thoroughly vet the season ... We'll see what happens."