Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are Super Bowl contenders in 2017

ponyboy

What is a “Super Bowl contender”?

IMO, if a team can reach the playoffs they are a Super Bowl contender.  It’s not always a top seeded team that wins the Super Bowl.  A lower seeded team with momentum entering the playoffs often makes a run.  Get into the playoffs and it only takes a 2 or 3 game winning streak to reach the Super Bowl.

- The Colts are clearly contenders for the AFC South.  Even this year, you could argue the Colts were 1 play away from winning the AFC South -- change 1 play at the end of the 4th quarter in the first game against Houston and the Colts are the AFC South champs at 9-7

- With a healthy Andrew Luck, I think the Colts have shown that they are capable of beating the best teams in the NFL any given week.  Except for NE, they have competed closely with or beaten some of the best teams each year.  Even in the down years of 2015 and 2016 they beat or some top teams.  They were even competitive late in some of the NE losses.

- I don’t see any truly elite teams in the NFL.  NE is the closest but no other team really stands out to me.  And Brady has to start a decline soon, doesn’t he?

My point is, win the AFC South, and if Andrew gets on a hot streak in the playoffs the Colts could realistically put together a 3 game win streak to reach the Super Bowl – despite the obvious deficiencies on defense.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel with a few upgrades in 2017 the Colts could realistically be a Super Bowl contenders for the reasons stated above.

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

IMO, if a team can reach the playoffs they are a Super Bowl contender.  It’s not always a top seeded team that wins the Super Bowl.  A lower seeded team with momentum entering the playoffs often makes a run.  Get into the playoffs and it only takes a 2 or 3 game winning streak to reach the Super Bowl.

- The Colts are clearly contenders for the AFC South.  Even this year, you could argue the Colts were 1 play away from winning the AFC South -- change 1 play at the end of the 4th quarter in the first game against Houston and the Colts are the AFC South champs at 9-7

- With a healthy Andrew Luck, I think the Colts have shown that they are capable of beating the best teams in the NFL any given week.  Except for NE, they have competed closely with or beaten some of the best teams each year.  Even in the down years of 2015 and 2016 they beat or some top teams.  They were even competitive late in some of the NE losses.

- I don’t see any truly elite teams in the NFL.  NE is the closest but no other team really stands out to me.  And Brady has to start a decline soon, doesn’t he?

My point is, win the AFC South, and if Andrew gets on a hot streak in the playoffs the Colts could realistically put together a 3 game win streak to reach the Super Bowl – despite the obvious deficiencies on defense.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel with a few upgrades in 2017 the Colts could realistically be a Super Bowl contenders for the reasons stated above.

We are a lot better than people think...We add 3 or 4 guys on defense and hire a good coach we will be in the conversation...We will have a top 5 offense, if we just improve the defense a little by adding a pass rush we could be a 12-4 team next year easy...

There's a difference between playoff teams like NE, Pittsburgh and Seattle, and playoff teams like Miami and Houston.

Granted those teams don't have star QBs like Luck, so that could make the colts contenders if they make the playoffs. BUT, those teams that are contenders have great supporting casts around their Quarterbacks.

A star QB can mask a lot of problems. But not all of them. Just ask Drew Brees.

4 hours ago, runthepost said:

With no pass rush or run d we ain't beating Pitt Oak or NE... we won't make the playoffs till we beat Brock 

We had 32 sacks this season......  take a guess who had 38?     Our highest sack leader was 11 with Walden.  Theirs was 5. Harrison 

Yep the Steelers    While a pass rush can be great.   It is not the end all to be a good team 

but they have the 3rd ranked Oline and a top RB and WR     

Things can change in a hurry in the NFL.  So with that, yeah the Colts are contenders, or have the potential to be.  But I think they will need to change a few things to improve their odds.  I don't think staying status quo and just expecting everyone to perform better is the answer.  At this point, it appears like that's what they are doing.

I assume tnat if we get  to the play offs, which is a reasonable acheivement, Luck would be let loose to run a lot more. A valuable addition to the offense that is being curtailed due to fear of injury. Watching the playoffs this year, those star QB's are not playing it safe and nor should they. Add that in the mix to all the other hypotheticals....

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

I assume tnat if we get  to the play offs, which is a reasonable acheivement, Luck would be let loose to run a lot more. A valuable addition to the offense that is being curtailed due to fear of injury. Watching the playoffs this year, those star QB's are not playing it safe and nor should they. Add that in the mix to all the other hypotheticals....

Very astute observation and point. :thmup:

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

There's a difference between playoff teams like NE, Pittsburgh and Seattle, and playoff teams like Miami and Houston.

Granted those teams don't have star QBs like Luck, so that could make the colts contenders if they make the playoffs. BUT, those teams that are contenders have great supporting casts around their Quarterbacks.

A star QB can mask a lot of problems. But not all of them. Just ask Drew Brees.

Ask Phillip Rivers too. Hes been great pretty much every year, and even he can't get that team to the playoffs recently.

I think if we have a really good off-season we can contend for........      the AFC South title.

But a deep run in the playoffs?      Not likely.     Perhaps not impossible,  but certainly not likely.

Now....   Super Bowl contenders?      Only if you define that as making the playoffs,  which I don't.

So.....     no,  really not likely to be a contender for the Super Bowl.....    not in 2017.

Get back to us in 2018 or 19....

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Not trying to start a fight here,  but wanted to drop a few facts here....

There is a perception this year that Luck has been encouraged to run less....

Here are his run totals for his 5 seasons....

12:   62

13:   63

14:   64

15:   33   (7 games)

16:   64   (15 games)

So, as anyone can see....   Luck is still running at the same frequency that he's been since he arrived in the NFL.   Nothing has changed except we've asked him to be smarter about it.    And we've encouraged him to slide and sacrifice a few extra yards rather than keep running and getting blasted.

The wort year was 15 where Luck was running more than ever on a per game basis.    But his 16 numbers match up pretty well with his numbers in his first three years.

8 hours ago, ponyboy said:

Only if 'few upgrades' involves a good D.

If making the playoffs=SB contenders, then yes, I agree... 

Look at the teams we face next season... I wouldn't have a hard time predicting 11 wins and a trip to the playoffs for next year, even with this year's roster... We lucked out in the sense that we finished 3rd in the division... The second place schedule was a bit tougher. 

The defense is full of holes that need to be plugged before we can realistically compete with the best teams in the league, but next year's schedule won't require much turnover to make the playoffs, imo. Pagano and Grigson will be with the Colts in 2018 whether they deserve to be or not. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not trying to start a fight here,  but wanted to drop a few facts here....

There is a perception this year that Luck has been encouraged to run less....

Here are his run totals for his 5 seasons....

12:   62

13:   63

14:   64

15:   33   (7 games)

16:   64   (15 games)

So, as anyone can see....   Luck is still running at the same frequency that he's been since he arrived in the NFL.   Nothing has changed except we've asked him to be smarter about it.    And we've encouraged him to slide and sacrifice a few extra yards rather than keep running and getting blasted.

The wort year was 15 where Luck was running more than ever on a per game basis.    But his 16 numbers match up pretty well with his numbers in his first three years.

Ok good point. I will rephrase. He needs to use his wheels a lot more.

I want us to be buuuuut...we have lost 3 straight to Houston...I can't count how many straight we have lost to NE and Pittsburgh. The good thing is the NFL turns over the playoff teams pretty regularly but the teams that have and should be on the top...I don't see us fairing well against. I hope it changes...we are due for a win against some of those teams but it isn't looking good unless a lot changes.