Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay spent 10 hours with Gruden in Texas.

RockThatBlue

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  I don't know if the NFL policy mandates that a coach can't be hired without interviewing a minority first, each and every time, but I think the exceptions are pretty thin.  However, Irsay's history probably meets that exception this time.  After all, he was the owner of the team that had the first black HC superbowl winner.

I think Irsay could hire and announce a coaching change to Gruden without much interference from the NFL, IMO.  Gruden's resume is well known as well as his like for Luck.

He still has to abide by the rule or pay the penalty.   

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, twfish said:

I would never ever want to accept a job based on my race, gender, or religion... ever....

Neither would those candidates who are people of color.

But you can't get the job if you can't get the interview.       It's really as simple and basic as that.

No interview = no job.

But the more interviews you do,  the better chance you'll have of getting a job.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He still has to abide by the rule or pay the penalty.   

This is a situation where its probably worth it.  

Hmmm.  Wonder if he could technically get around it by not interviewing anybody, including Gruden.  Irsay already knows if his candidate (Gruden) was an upgrade or not.  Anything that's being discussed could be more about contract than an actual interview, where you try to dissect a candidates philosophy and qualifications.  With this particular candidate, they are well known so why bother interviewing anybody, including Gruden.  Just hire him if he agrees to terms.

In this situation, its either Gruden or nobody.  So why does he have to bother interviewing anybody else.  Nobody else is getting the job, and that would be clear.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Neither would those candidates who are people of color.

But you can't get the job if you can't get the interview.       It's really as simple and basic as that.

No interview = no job.

But the more interviews you do,  the better chance you'll have of getting a job.

Maybe one could get an interview based off of resume alone. It's really as simple and basic as that. 

55 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I wouldn't want to interview for a job I knew I wasn't going to get

I think the more interviews you do,  the more executives you'll meet.    Someday one of those executives may want to hire you.       It may not be for the first interview or the 2nd....    but I think the more you do the greater the chance you've got to land a job.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

This is a situation where its probably worth it.  

Hmmm.  Wonder if he could technically get around it by not interviewing anybody, including Gruden.  Irsay already knows if his candidate (Gruden) was an upgrade or not.  Anything that's being discussed could be more about contract than an actual interview, where you try to dissect a candidates philosophy and qualifications.  With this particular candidate, they are well known so why bother interviewing anybody, including Gruden.  Just hire him if he agrees to terms.

There are no exceptions.  You abide by the rule or you pay the fine.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the more interviews you do,  the more executives you'll meet.    Someday one of those executives may want to hire you.       It may not be for the first interview or the 2nd....    but I think the more you do the greater the chance you've got to land a job.

I have no problem with the rule.  It would just sick to be interviewed knowing you have no chance.  I get it.  It gives minorities interviewing experience they might not ever had a chance at.  Like I

said,  I'm not a minority,  so who am I to say if it's good or bad

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

It just seems to do the opposite of what the rule is intended to do. Even if you already know who you want, you still have to interview someone for the Rooney rule, and it would be a complete waste of time as the person is not getting the job anyway. JMO.

Why do you think that (the bolded)?

See this:

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Meh, Vance Joseph may have been a token interview last year for the Broncos job, but he made the most of it.

(Exactly this... I can't believe I am agreeing with Bott. Lol)

Last week many sports outlets reported that Vance Joseph was the front runner to replace Kubiak. I read that Elway had interviewed Joseph two years ago and came away so impressed that Elway would have offered him the job if Kubiak declined it. Had it not been for the Rooney Rule, Elway probably would not have interviewed Joseph two years ago and he would not be the head coach of the Broncos today. So, the rule worked.

Having said that, if an organization has someone in mind for the job, I don't think they should be required to interview other candidates to comply with this rule.

I dont know why people are now deducting that its nonsense that Irsay met with Gruden. He quite obviously did. This reporter is just covering his butt because until something is confirmed its all considered rumor and speculation, which we all knew before hand. Its very much under the table stuff.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I dont know why people are now deducting that its nonsense that Irsay met with Gruden. He quite obviously did. This reporter is just covering his butt because until something is confirmed its all considered rumor and speculation, which we all knew before hand. Its very much under the table stuff.

Why didn't you tell us you had inside info into the front office?

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

From what I was reading today, Pagano's been out of town all week on vacation, and returned to Indy today. I would think that Jim would wait to have his face-to-face with Pagano, then announce the coaching change after. In that line of thinking, tomorrow or the next day would be likely. But that's all speculation on my part.

Yeah, I'd say that's good speculation. 

13 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Because he doesn't want Pagano to hear his status through the media, I get that. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why didn't you tell us you had inside info into the front office?

Lol, cmonman, you think he just flew down there for BBQ and a Big Red? I just happen to believe JMV, hes rarely wrong on these issues. I believe him 100% that there has been dialog and mutual interest. That still doesnt mean anything will come out of it. Maybe im just being dense, I do watch way too much Ancient Aliens.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Lol, cmonman, you think he just flew down there for BBQ and a Big Red? I just happen to believe JMV, hes rarely wrong on these issues. I believe him 100% that there has been dialog and mutual interest. That still doesnt mean anything will come out of it. Maybe im just being dense, I do watch way too much Ancient Aliens.

"Colts fans the world over believe that Gruden has been visited by ancient Irsay".

1hi78v.jpg

IDK what the heck is going on but I will say Irsay could end all the spec by coming out and saying something.  He isn't, so people are gonna spec and keep on doing it until he speaks.  Until then, all we have are "sources" without names.  I think the interesting thing here is that it would be EASY to say something if he was content on just keeping status quo.  Why wouldn't you?  He was quick to do that last year.  But this keeps the possibility open that he is at LEAST exploring possibilities for change.  And that, to me, is exciting.

4 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

But that's not to say he wont be our coach soon. I'd expect multiple meetings before anything concrete. Also, Chuckie probably has to get permission from his old lady. Big commitment.

Man I really hope he becomes our coach. Then I will go from saying division winners to super bowl contenders if we pick up two big defensive free agents and draft an ILB/OLB and corner. 

I find it odd that this is only being reported on a guy's twitter account from a small/local news station.  Also, weren't reports about Irsay's plane suggesting he took off around the start of the Texans game and came back shortly after the game was over?  That doesn't seem like 10 hours of possible meeting time to me, especially since Gruden was working the majority of that time.

47 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Because he doesn't want Pagano to hear his status through the media, I get that. 

I don't think he cares whether Pagano hears anything. I'm sure Irsay and Pagano have had some encounter. Pagano did say this is his last stop. Maybe he told Irsay if you don't bring me back, I'm retiring. So Pagano is waiting on Irsay to decide as well as us fans. 

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

Twfish half naked Colt lady, Confirmed

-Brian Bondus

@BrianBondus 

Jan 12th 2017

UPDATE: Previous tweet is only a rumor.  Twfish is a heavy set white male that prefers Doritos over Cheetos.

-Brian Bondus

@BrianBondus

1 minute ago, Ja'Crispy said:

UPDATE: Previous tweet is only a rumor.  Twfish is a heavy set white male that prefers Doritos over Cheetos.

UPDATE: Twfish comes out to say neither Doritos nor Cheetos is the snack of choice. #willweeverknowthesnackofchoice

1 minute ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I find it odd that this is only being reported on a guy's twitter account from a small/local news station.  Also, weren't reports about Irsay's plane suggesting he took off around the start of the Texans game and came back shortly after the game was over?  That doesn't seem like 10 hours of possible meeting time to me, especially since Gruden was working the majority of that time.

I don't worry about things being reported just locally when it involves  the Colts if JMV is involved. JMV has broke major colt news before the big national boys plenty of times.  JMV has shared similar reports as this guy has so i kinda believe his first tweet.  I see the 2nd tweet as a cover your backside in case it falls through. And Irsays plane landed toward the end of the Texans game and didn't leave until after midnight. There are also rumors Irsay and Gruden met for a lengthy time in new york after the Colts/jets MNF game earlier in the season.

34 minutes ago, twfish said:

UPDATE: Twfish comes out to say neither Doritos nor Cheetos is the snack of choice. #willweeverknowthesnackofchoice

Man, I wish Twfish could stop leaving us all in the dark and tell the fans something! Even though he clearly said doritos and cheetos are not the snack of choice, we need to him to tell us again! ARE THEY THE SNACK OF CHOICE OR NOT?!?!?!?!? 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Why do you think that (the bolded)?

See this:

(Exactly this... I can't believe I am agreeing with Bott. Lol)

Last week many sports outlets reported that Vance Joseph was the front runner to replace Kubiak. I read that Elway had interviewed Joseph two years ago and came away so impressed that Elway would have offered him the job if Kubiak declined it. Had it not been for the Rooney Rule, Elway probably would not have interviewed Joseph two years ago and he would not be the head coach of the Broncos today. So, the rule worked.

Having said that, if an organization has someone in mind for the job, I don't think they should be required to interview other candidates to comply with this rule.

Let's be honest. Not many teams owned by a minority...and I think one of the few has a minirity head coach. It shouldn't be but people like to surround themself with people that look and sound like them. Thus I think why we still have so many white coaches and retreads. That said actually if you follow through with what you just said then Vance wouldn't have got the Denver job likely. Kubiak was Elways choice 1,2, and 3. So thank God for Vance he took the "token" interview and did the most with it. Great for him and great for Elway actually listening and getting something out of it as well. It might not work as it needs to but at least it's working a bit. Clearly the NBA does a better job of this process so maybe they could work with them on this process.

As for this Gruden thing....man I think people are just hungry for things to turn around. I think the chance of this happening is slim to none but think whatever you like. I may not be overly optimistic but mentaly I'm ready for next year to return with what we have this year. I'm hopeful we will add some more talent and win back our division. I think Chuck will only go so far as his talent takes him and we need a lot more. I'm going to support us whomever the coach/GM is. I'm not that excited for Gruden honestly either. I think he could help the offensive side of the ball but without an overhaul to the defense I see us no different then the Saints. Anyways I'll believe this rumor when I see it...and if we bring in Gruden we might as well hire Rex Ryan to run the defense....personalities galore.

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Man, I wish Twfish could stop leaving us all in the dark and tell the fans something! Even though he clearly said doritos and cheetos are not the snack of choice, we need to him to tell us again! ARE THEY THE SNACK OF CHOICE OR NOT?!?!?!?!? 

@twfish was seen coming out of his private jet at A Doritos factory. Sources say he was meeting with them for ten hours. 

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Maybe one could get an interview based off of resume alone. It's really as simple and basic as that. 

Yeah.....     except that's what people in the NFL have said for roughly more than 50 years.     And what a shock,  they're all white.       Sorry,  your resume isn't good enough.    

The Rooney Rule helps to open doors.     I don't know what you're objecting to?

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't think he cares whether Pagano hears anything. I'm sure Irsay and Pagano have had some encounter. Pagano did say this is his last stop. Maybe he told Irsay if you don't bring me back, I'm retiring. So Pagano is waiting on Irsay to decide as well as us fans. 

So I guess that report that Irsay told Pagano that he is safe was bogus. It sure seems that way at least.