Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay spent 10 hours with Gruden in Texas.

RockThatBlue

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not a fan of Gruden, if he becomes the Colts head coach I will give him the same chance that I give any Colts coach.

But what would Colts fans do, if the Colts are ahead by 21 points with just under 4 minutes remaining in the game and they lost?  That happened to Gruden.

How many teams have a Peyton and Marvin combo?

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not a fan of Gruden, if he becomes the Colts head coach I will give him the same chance that I give any Colts coach.

But what would Colts fans do, if the Colts are ahead by 21 points with just under 4 minutes remaining in the game and they lost?  That happened to Gruden.

Big deal, it happened against an in-his-prime Peyton Manning (could have happened to any team).  Hell it pretty much happened this year when we blew it against Houston.

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I believe you're a big fan of McDaniels, and I can understand that.  McDaniels has some of the best offensive game plans in the league.  His ability to adjust the offense to attack the defense is exemplary.  My only hesitation is how Pats assistants do away from Belichick.  I know he's learned a lot from his time in Denver and I'm sure he's learned even more being back with New England, but there's still some hesitation on my end with him.  In terms of Gruden, I think he is a great fit with Luck.  He has Super Bowl experience, he's great in terms of Xs and Os, he's no-nonsense, he and Luck both speak the same football language, our offensive system would likely remain largely the same if our assistants were to be hired as head coaches elsewhere.  I do wonder who he would bring in as a defensive coordinator if he is hired as a head coach.

I don't know that I'm a big fan of McDaniels. I have the same reservation as you. There's plenty of history of Belichick assistants bombing away from Belichick, and McDaniels is included in that. He also had attitude problems in Denver, from jump, and it led to him alienating a pretty good young QB before he even got in the building.

I'd give him a chance because I believe people grow, especially after they experience a little humiliation. I like his approach since going back to New England, which includes seeking out advice and counsel from people with more coaching/life experience than him, including Dungy. Seems like he's done exactly what you'd want him to do after a bad experience in Denver. 

And his work with multiple QBs this season and his ability to gameplan from week to week is impressive. I wouldn't promise him the job, but if I was doing an exhaustive coaching search, he'd be at or near the top of my list. Your point about the offensive scheme not changing every time an assistant left is a good one, also, something I hadn't thought about. At the same time, he'd probably want to call the plays, which I don't really like. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Wanna put anything on that?   I'm indifferent either way.   If gruden is hired I won't be upset.   Also won't cry and scream if Chuck is back

You acted like it was crazy to think we would fire him still...Im just messing with ya anyways...you aren't as bad as some in your Pagano love...

Out of all the names out there that I consider realistic I would put Gruden as my first choice if Irsay makes a change. I'm all about Gruden being the Colts head coach even though I still feel it's a long shot.

Am I the only one who doesn't put much stock into this tweet from Brian Bondus though? Has he proven to report reliable information before or he simply just tweeting what was already reasonable to assume?

I guess if you thought Irsay was in Houston to visit Wade Phillips this might change your mind but I never thought Irsay's plane was in Houston for Wade Phillips. JMO though.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

You acted like it was crazy to think we would fire him still...Im just messing with ya anyways...you aren't as bad as some in your Pagano love...

Not crazy,   but if you are looking for a coach,  why not fire the one you have

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Because Irsay doesn't want to roll the dice on an unproven (as a HC) coordinator like McDaniels or Shanahan.  He's going for a proven, quality coach like Gruden.  Otherwise he'll stick with Pagano.

I never got the hype on Gruden. I feel like he is some flashy big name celeb people like (which most of this country is into) like waving a bright shiny toy in front of a child.

I know he won a SB, but the Bucs also went downhill after it and many Bucs fans I seen online over the years PREFER Dungy over Gruden even for the stability they had under him. And I was never that high on the SB win they got either since it was with Dungy's team and I always felt Gruden knew the Raiders too well anyway so it was kinda almost a DUH.

Not to mention Gruden is one of the most annoying men on the planet to listen to. 

Yes if this happens (and I still have strong doubts on the rumor ville) I will give him a chance but it feels almost like Irsay and Gruden (if this has any substance) were more likely spending 10 hours chatting football like bar buddies and having fun to me. Or so I hope so.........

I know Pagano is average but for Gods sakes......GRUDEN? Then again it's like well I give up......since I know I will get 50 replies back on GO WORSHIP PAGANO YOU LOSER. When I am FAR from a big Pagano fan.

What I would prefer right now is getting some kick azzzz DC behind Pagano since no coach can do it all by himself. And I always have been more high on defensive minded coaches to begin with.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not the biggest Gruden cheerleader, but I don't put that loss on him at all. First, the Colts and Manning were turning into an offensive juggernaut.

Second, the Colts needed a lot of bounces to go their way -- including a blocked kick and a seldom-called penalty on our own kick -- to win that game. There were some penalties that were close, and they had a QB who wasn't a 'get on my back while I make a game winning play' kind of QB. 

I think if you replay that scenario from the 5 minute mark in the 4th quarter a hundred times, the Colts would complete the comeback maybe 5 times. Per PFR, the Bucs had a win probability of 96.9% with 4:54 left. The stars just aligned that night. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200310060tam.htm 

Just now, Jules said:

Not a shocker.........

I swear people are trolling the Colts fanbase for the past few weeks anyway.

Shoddy journalism nowadays...if you can even call it that.  Reporters and "insiders" can tweet just about anything and then claim it as a rumor that wasn't true.  Can't trust anyone on Twitter.

Unless someone from the Colts got to him and told him to can it :peek:

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Because no point in blowing things up changing schemes for an unknown coach...We can still win with Pagano cause we have luck and will improve talent on defense...No point in blowing it up unless we get an elite coach...If we can't this year we just hope for rhe best and get 1 when they become available unless Pagano somehow gets better. ...Ive just always believed we could get 1 of them if we made the right offer...

For us to get any kind of indication whether they are in negotiations, whether Gruden has said yes or not, someone nationally has to go with the rumor.  The longer Chuck stays employed, the more doubtful it becomes.  If Chuck is still employed on Monday, 9 days after a 10 hour interview...

Just now, dudley dawson said:

Bondus must have been told to hush by someone from the Colts.  That's how it reads to me, anyways.

Why would a network affiliate care what the team has to say?  There job is to report the news.  I'm guessing he has a sketchy source

8 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

Same Bondus guy just said it wasn't true.

What the hell does that mean, Bondus?  It was obviously always a rumor, not an official statement from the organization 

If it does indicate something, I'm guessing it means Gruden said no.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

What the hell does that mean, Bondus?  It was obviously always a rumor, not an official statement from the organization 

If it does indicate something, I'm guessing it means Gruden said no.

It means the Colts/Irsay are trying to keep this under extreme wraps until an agreement is in place or falls through (at which point they will deny everything).

2 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

So basically Bondus posts something he wasn't suppose to and was later told to say it was a rumor. Got it.... :thmup:

Thats what it looks like.  If this doesn't work out the last thing Irsay wants is reports all over the place that he tried to fire Pagano for another coach for the 2nd straight year.  

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

Thats what it looks like.  If this doesn't work out the last thing Irsay wants is reports all over the place that he tried to fire Pagano for another coach for the 2nd straight year.  

If the reporter had a solid source,  Why would they care what Irsay thinks about the reports.  Their job is to report the news

3 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

It means the Colts/Irsay are trying to keep this under extreme wraps until an agreement is in place or falls through (at which point they will deny everything).

Irsay not addressing these rumors says just about all we need to know

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

If Chuck was on vacation in Vegas and is returning tomorrow as someone reported in this thread then that could explain the delay in the announcement.  Jim would certainly want to release him in person.  I'm still leaning that tomorrow could be a big newsworthy day.    

Don't get your hopes up

7 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

My instincts say it already has fallen through.  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If the reporter had a solid source,  Why would they care what Irsay thinks about the reports.  Their job is to report the news

They don't care about Irsay, he may care about his source though (who he claimed was close to Irsay) if he was told something off record  and then tweeted it.  

Just now, indy1888 said:

They don't care about Irsay, he may care about his source though (who he claimed was close to Irsay) if he was told something off record  and then tweeted it.  

Then he is a bad reporter if that's the case.   I think he is full of crap

36 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I know your sweating now...You have been one of his biggest cheerleaders and trashing people for still thinking we would hire someone else...

It ever get old cheering for someone to lose their job? Especially someone who fought and beat cancer on the job? I've laid out my Pagano opinions several times. He is a flawed coach that is hard to evaluate. I won't be devastated if he leaves but he deserves more respect than he gets.

38 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Pagano's defense gave up 14 points in 4 mins to Brock Osweiler.  Bill Belichick's team gave up a 21-3 lead to our Colts.  Teams collapse.  Not every game is perfect.  The concern becomes when your team is known for collapsing as opposed to the collapse being just a series of everything going back.

25 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

Same Bondus guy just said it wasn't true.

Why would you do that to me, Brian?  What have I ever done to you? :Cry:

Just now, MOB said:

I'm so sick of all this trolling and rumors everywhere, it's literally annoying the crap out of me.

Literally?