Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay spent 10 hours with Gruden in Texas.


RockThatBlue

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

Negotiations can be tricky. Also, we still have a coach. Lots of things to be tended to.

I agree. I'm not saying Irsay is to blame for him not coming here. But obviously he is really interested. And he isn't our coach. I'm just curious as to why. But I suppose we will never really know 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

And he isn't our coach? No one spends that many hours with an owner unless they are really interested. Could it be Irsay didn't give him everything he wanted? 

 

Big name hire, lots of potential snags and things to work out.  Not unreasonable to think this may take a bit of time, if it even happens at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. I'm not saying Irsay is to blame for him not coming here. But obviously he is really interested. And he isn't our coach. I'm just curious as to why. But I suppose we will never really know 

But that's not to say he wont be our coach soon. I'd expect multiple meetings before anything concrete. Also, Chuckie probably has to get permission from his old lady. Big commitment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

And he isn't our coach? No one spends that many hours with an owner unless they are really interested. Could it be Irsay didn't give him everything he wanted? 

 

From what I was reading today, Pagano's been out of town all week on vacation, and returned to Indy today. I would think that Jim would wait to have his face-to-face with Pagano, then announce the coaching change after. In that line of thinking, tomorrow or the next day would be likely. But that's all speculation on my part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

From what I was reading today, Pagano's been out of town all week on vacation, and returned to Indy today. I would think that Jim would wait to have his face-to-face with Pagano, then announce the coaching change after. In that line of thinking, tomorrow or the next day would be likely. But that's all speculation on my part.

Also, gotta satisfy the Rooney rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

But that's not to say he wont be our coach soon. I'd expect multiple meetings before anything concrete. Also, Chuckie probably has to get permission from his old lady. Big commitment.

He makes millions and he has to get permission?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

He would make millions as a coach or working for ESPN. If you don't think he has to get permission from his wife then you're crazy.

 

Sadly, I'm sure lots of men agree.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

Also, gotta satisfy the Rooney rule.

 

Exactly. Irsay cant just fly down there and offer gruden the job without satisfying the Rooney rule and with pagano still under contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Also, gotta satisfy the Rooney rule.

 

Which is dumb...

 

I think the max penalty for a Rooney rule violation is a $500k fine. If Irsay is getting ready to pay Gruden $9m+/year, that's just a tax...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

He would make millions as a coach or working for ESPN. If you don't think he has to get permission from his wife then you're crazy.

 

I'm sure he does, but if I were Gruden, I  wouldn't take the meeting without being on the same page as my wife. So take that for what it is worth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

Which is dumb...

 

I think the max penalty for a Rooney rule violation is a $500k fine. If Irsay is getting ready to pay Gruden $9m+/year, that's just a tax...

 

That's true. I actually never knew what the punishment was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Which is dumb...

 

I think the max penalty for a Rooney rule violation is a $500k fine. If Irsay is getting ready to pay Gruden $9m+/year, that's just a tax...

The Rooney rule is terrible...but thats a whole 'nother issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Larry Horseman said:

 

I'm sure he does, but if I were Gruden, I  wouldn't take the meeting without being on the same page as my wife. So take that for what it is worth. 

 

Exactly. I'm sure gruden and his wife had a conversation before gruden and irsay did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

Which is dumb...

 

I think the max penalty for a Rooney rule violation is a $500k fine. If Irsay is getting ready to pay Gruden $9m+/year, that's just a tax...

 

Kinda feel like having Dungy and Caldwell back-to-back should give Irsay some equity and leeway with regards to the Rooney rule, but I'm sure the NFL doesn't feel the same way. And I agree with him approaching it as a tax.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Larry Horseman said:

 

I'm sure he does, but if I were Gruden, I  wouldn't take the meeting without being on the same page as my wife. So take that for what it is worth. 

I was offered a job in San Jose a few years ago, thank the maker I asked my wife before I gave an answer. I still live in Va in case anyone is wondering how that conversation went, I don't like to leave any mysteries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Rooney rule is terrible...but thats a whole 'nother issue.

I like the idea in principle but, if I have no chance of getting the job don't waste my time. That happened to me once, they had interviewed a woman, and an Asian woman, and they needed to interview a male apparently. Guess who didn't get the job and was told that they had to interview a man per policy? This guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Rooney rule is terrible...but thats a whole 'nother issue.

 

Just had a discussion with someone else about that yesterday... The Rooney rule has its merits on several levels, but in a situation where you want your guy, it just gets in the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corgi said:

I was offered a job in San Jose a few years ago, thank the maker I asked my wife before I gave an answer. I still live in Va in case anyone is wondering how that conversation went, I don't like to leave any mysteries.

If my wife made 6m per she wouldnt have to ask my permission about her career.  Just let me know if/when to pack my bags.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Rooney rule is terrible...but thats a whole 'nother issue.

Meh, Vance Joseph may have been a token interview last year for the Broncos job, but he made the most of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corgi said:

I like the idea in principle but, if I have no chance of getting the job don't waste my time. That happened to me once, they had interviewed a woman, and an Asian woman, and they needed to interview a male apparently. Guess who didn't get the job and was told that they had to interview a man per policy? This guy.

It just seems to do the opposite of what the rule is intended to do. Even if you already know who you want, you still have to interview someone for the Rooney rule, and it would be a complete waste of time as the person is not getting the job anyway. JMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RockThatBlue said:

It just seems to do the opposite of what the rule is intended to do. Even if you already know who you want, you still have to interview someone for the Rooney rule, and it would be a complete waste of time as the person is not getting the job anyway. JMO.

Plus it's just wrong and unfair to get someone's hopes up so you can check a box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RockThatBlue said:

It just seems to do the opposite of what the rule is intended to do. Even if you already know who you want, you still have to interview someone for the Rooney rule, and it would be a complete waste of time as the person is not getting the job anyway. JMO.

The best answer I have heard for this is,  it gives potential future minority head coaches experience in the interview process.    I'm not a minority,  But I don't think I would like going through a dog and pony show when I know im not gonna get the job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Which is dumb...

 

I think the max penalty for a Rooney rule violation is a $500k fine. If Irsay is getting ready to pay Gruden $9m+/year, that's just a tax...

500k tax and about 3 million in bad publicity.  Much better to comply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Meh, Vance Joseph may have been a token interview last year for the Broncos job, but he made the most of it.

 

Possibly, or maybe Joseph wasn't a "token" interview.  Just playing devils advocate. I will fully admit though I assumed the same thing. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine locked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...