Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Can't We Play Like This Every Week?

UKColt13

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, IcyRhythms said:

Not trolling anyone. It's just how I feel. This is bad team playing another bad team. The Packers haven't been the Packers everyone knows and loves this year, that's for sure. Don't throw that trolling nonsense my way. Disagree with my opinion, but don't accuse me of trolling simply because you don't like what I'm saying. Relax

Sorry, i misunderstood your tone completely. thats my fault. forget i mentioned trolling, i take it back.

The fact of the matter is, we a are reminded daily how bad this team is, and given nothing has really changed on defense, no one really expects a serious playoff run. it would surprise us all. but when we win, itd be nice to be able to enjoy it for an hour with other fans without having all the negativity.

45 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Lol, wasn't people on here suggesting at the start of the week Rodgers was like going to get 400 yards and 4 TD's.

Thought the backfield was excellent and some of the new linebackers like Edwards, Jackson and Ayers played well. 

Our best player on D for me was David Parry.

I'll be first to admit I figured Rodgers would have a field day on us. 

I was blown away to see our defense actually use mixed plays to confuse him. Play calling in the first half was textbook.

WYou

10 minutes ago, IcyRhythms said:

Not trolling anyone. It's just how I feel. This is bad team playing another bad team. The Packers haven't been the Packers everyone knows and loves this year, that's for sure. Don't throw that trolling nonsense my way. Disagree with my opinion, but don't accuse me of trolling simply because you don't like what I'm saying. Relax

You mention Atlanta in your comments. They beat this bad Packer team by one point and they should be mentioned amongst the Elites for some reason. We beat this same bad Packer team in their own house and we should temper our expectations. Why? Atlantas defense is horrible. They are no different than some of the old Peyton led Colts. All offense and no defense. I dont see them as elite and I do think its a game we could win. Damn sure feel that way if Tampa does it. We are a better team than Tampa.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Well damn...

Every unit stepped up today. Very proud of those guys.

The first 5-6 weeks of the season, the Colts were one of the most injured teams in the NFL.   Yes, some teams were worse,  but we were one of the worst.     Between the D-Line, the D-backfield and the O-line,  the Colts were a mess.      In some cases it was too much to overcome.

Today....    we've got a few more bodies back....   and we played a little better and cut down on the mistakes & penalties.

The bye week gets here at just the right time.....    

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Such an old reply the good Ol your not a fan crap lol

Agreed, short term joy, but Pagano is terrible. Still had dumb penalties at times, and just stupid things like our punt returner catching it inside the 5 just kill me.

He looked like he was going to have a heart attack at the end on the sidelines.

I was happy for the players though even if he's a bum.

27 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was blown away to see our defense actually use mixed plays to confuse him. Play calling in the first half was textbook.

Same, I thought they were going to put up at least 30-40 pts.  The D did play well however Rodgers did miss some really deep ones that could've changed the complexion of the game.  I hope the D can continue to build off this.

It really makes you wonder how good the Colts could actually be if they had good players and didn't have to over achieve with mediocre players. That game was exciting to watch and it's nice to see the Colts beat a good team.

But that's the reason we can't play like this all the time. Don't have the talent to play consistently good football. All we can do is beat up bad teams and overachieve to upset a decent team.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It really makes you wonder how good the Colts could actually be if they had good players and didn't have to over achieve with mediocre players. That game was exciting to watch and it's nice to see the Colts beat a good team.

But that's the reason we can't play like this all the time. Don't have the talent to play consistently good football. All we can do is beat up bad teams and overachieve to upset a decent team.

That's why I want the *s gone as soon as possible give us some talent with luck and the skys the limit  

It was wise of Pagano to sit Langford down to heal up. With the Bye week that will be about 3 weeks of down time for him. Hopefully he will be better. I'm sure we can beat Tenn without him so maybe they leave him out for that one. Expecting he and Henry Anderson back after the bye. Or at least Henry at a minimum.

42 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The problem is they have played very Jekyll and Hyde for a few years now.  It didn't surprise me they won today, nor will it surprise me if they stink it up next week.

They play about one somewhat complete game a year.  This was similar to the 2015 Denver game.  They were good for a half or three quarters, then tried to give it away.  Today, they put in a good three quarters until the D gave up two 75 yard drives in under 2:00 each.  If Luck doesn't convert twice on 3rd down, they lose.

Phil Simms was a little shocked upon learning this was their first two TD halftime lead in two years.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

It was wise of Pagano to sit Langford down to heal up. With the Bye week that will be about 3 weeks of down time for him. Hopefully he will be better. I'm sure we can beat Tenn without him so maybe they leave him out for that one. Expecting he and Henry Anderson back after the bye. Or at least Henry at a minimum.

Much needed BYE week and a huge win. Everyone will be healthy coming back against Tennessee here in Indy. I like our chances much better now in the Division. I guess the secret is me picking us to lose which I rarely do but did today haha. Today was 2014stuff!

I'm happy we don't come out of the bye without a QB like last year after a good win. I'm happy but don't want to get carried away.

It's Jekyll and Hyde with this team. I really hope we beat the Titans and Steelers back-to-back to have a streak.

Coach Dungy used to say, two in a row, you have something going but to call it a streak, it needs to be 3 in a row. I agree with him.

Once again don't get too happy prematurely yes we beat Green Bay but they haven't been the powerhouse this year anyway. And we still haven't won two in a row and play calling was still a bit questionable during blitz so I'll look at next game to see 

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I'm happy we don't come out of the bye without a QB like last year after a good win. I'm happy but don't want to get carried away.

It's Jekyll and Hyde with this team. I really hope we beat the Titans and Steelers back-to-back to have a streak.

Coach Dungy used to say, two in a row, you have something going but to call it a streak, it needs to be 3 in a row. I agree with him.

It sucks Ben played today because it gives him time to not be as rusty against us

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

The problem is they have played very Jekyll and Hyde for a few years now.  It didn't surprise me they won today, nor will it surprise me if they stink it up next week.

Well...I would be surprised given that the Colts have a bye next week.

But I agree with your point overall. I think most fans are still wanting to see more consistency from this team but also are enjoying today's win for what it is. It was badly needed as Luck himself put it.    

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Well Rodgers was really off today too.  The Pack had the Colts beat a few times today on long passes and just missed the pass.  

Honestly i thought the differences were that the Colts hit their long passes when the Packers missed.

2 hours ago, Douzer said:

Geathers, Parry, Green, Melvin, Williams, Jackson, Ridgeway, Dorsett, Haeg, Good, Kelly, Ferguson & new guys like Edwards, Ayers, Robinson, Swoope, Turbin, Todman, etc. played together and won today on the road. Good for them!

A lot of the new guys and young guys really played well tonight. 

It's an encouraging sign for the future (regardless of our final record) when guys like Melvin, Parry, E. Jackson Kelly, Haeg, and Dorsett are playing well against stiff competition.

It doesn't seem far-fetched, after a win like this, to say that we might just be one solid draft away from being in real contention. It also bodes well that we will should have decent cap space, few priority FAs and some older guys dropping from the payroll for next off-season. 

I hope that we can keep winning after the bye and that the youngsters continue to progress. The experience they gain from games like this is probably more valuable to the team than earlier picks in the draft. Grigson is going to pick guys that must of us think could be had in the next round, anyway, not that I'm complaining. 

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

A lot of the new guys and young guys really played well tonight.

It's an encouraging sign for the future (regardless of our final record) when guys like Melvin, Parry, E. Jackson Kelly, Haeg, and Dorsett are playing well against stiff competition.

It doesn't seem far-fetched, after a win like this, to say that we might just be one solid draft away from being in real contention. It also bodes well that we will should have decent cap space, few priority FAs and some older guys dropping from the payroll for next off-season.

I hope that we can keep winning after the bye and that the youngsters continue to progress. The experience they gain from games like this is probably more valuable to the team than earlier picks in the draft. Grigson is going to pick guys that must of us think could be had in the next round, anyway, not that I'm complaining.

This is where I find encouragement. We have a good number of talented youngsters who are beginning to come onto a game.  Inconsistencies will come with these guys due to youth and inexperience, as we have seen, but should make them better players into next season.

I still dont see us making the playoffs this year after missed opportunities with games so far this year, but this off-season will be massive.  A few good picks and decent FA recruiting could give us a real chance to go deep into playoffs with Andrew leading the way.

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's why I want the *s gone as soon as possible give us some talent with luck and the skys the limit  

Precisely. It's Imagine if they actually had a run game? They would've blown the Packers out completely. And the defense almost gave the game away at the end. They won't skate by like that with every team. I saw signs of what the Colts could be today. They just need talent.

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

David Parry had a heck of a game. 

I was having a right chuckle when he got his sack. Even he looked surprised. He didn't even have a sack dance prepared and in a panic settled for a very muted fist pump. 

He played very well for me, If people will rag on 1st rounders for playing to a standard that is less than expected from their draft position we should conversely give props to those who play above their selection. Last night Parry contributed a lot more than we'd have previously expected. 

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the offense looked like the Carolina offense when Chud was OC there. Which is great. I saw a few really great designed plays I've never seen the Colts run also. 

I don't know what has changed (Chud isn't getting forced to try an establish the run, or he's just now getting it or what) but I like it. 

Everyone needs to just slow down.  The Colts just played probably the most (outside of maybe Minnesota) one dimensional offense in football.  Sure they have Rodgers and some familiar names as WR but this team was so one dimensional it played into the Colts hands.  It allowed the pass rushers to go all out almost every down.  It allowed the LBs and S to drop in coverage and not really respect the play fake.

Our team defense is still very fragile.  Our CB tackling still is bad.  Screens that should've been a < 5 yd gain turned into 10-15 yards.  No name TE's still beat our S from time to time.  A WR playing RB had almost 8 ypc albeit on only 7 carries.

This team still has a long way to go to even be a legitimate playoff team.  We beat a shell of the Packers past yesterday.  We didn't beat the 2010-2014 Packers yesterday.

Something I noticed yesterday was the Packers, like some other team we know, didn't do a great job protecting their QB. We all know that pass rush is not a strong suit for this team, but we got pretty steady pressure on Rodgers all day. Their lack of a run game compacted that for them. When they went to short, quick throws, they made waves. That had a lot to do with it. 

The one thing I felt we did an excellent job of yesterday was containing Rodgers. We didn't let him move around a lot when the protections broke down so he could extend plays and find an open man. That was, IMO, the most impressive thing about our game yesterday. Monachino made that a point of emphasis coming in, and they definitely executed that. 

It was a nice win yesterday. It was fun to beat a team we perceive to be good. It was fun to feel like we can climb any mountain in the NFL again. But we should probably try to not read too much into it. The identity of this team under pagano has been inconsistency. Wild and pure inconsistency. Don't be surprised to see us come out of the bye and make Mariota look like Steve Young. That's kinda what we do. 

It was nice, but Green Bay is a team that obviously has some issues of their own. I'm anxious to see how we handle the Titans, and I'm dreading it at the same time because I'm afraid it's gonna be more of the listless junk we've seen so much of this season. 

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Precisely. It's Imagine if they actually had a run game? They would've blown the Packers out completely. And the defense almost gave the game away at the end. They won't skate by like that with every team. I saw signs of what the Colts could be today. They just need talent.

Just stupid that thinking this way makes us "bad" fans God forbid you believe losses are more help in a down year