Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I remember advocating trading Fleener, now we get nothing

YourNextGM

I remember one or two people proposing this, yes, but here's the thing: Hindsight is always 20/20. (Wait, I've also heard that before! Hmm, too much deja vu.)

Actually, the part I can't wait to have happen is for the Patriots to trade Tom Brady in about two years and bump my old Brady contract extension topic. I saved up plenty of crow for everyone to eat!

31 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

Says who? 

I think we can expect a decently high comp pick.  He's going to New Orleans, where he'll probably be their starting tight end.  He's very similar to Jimmy Graham in that he's big, can run, and can't block.  And we saw what kind of success Payton and Brees had with Graham.  A 1000 yard, ~8 TD season wouldn't be surprising, in my opinion.

As for trading Fleener, it's easy to say this kind of stuff in hindsight.  I said we should have traded Werner, but instead we release him and get nothing.  It's not as simple as saying trade him and it happens.  You need to find a team who will give you something in return.  You also kind of need to be a prophet to be able to do what you're saying.  You'd have to know for certain that you won't retain a player, then you'd have to find a team who is willing to give up assets for that player even though they might also know you won't re-sign him and they could sign him in free agency without giving up those assets.  Bottom line: it's not as simple as what you're saying.

Everyone on this forum is Nostradamus... Say a bunch of crazy nonsense, and if one thing comes within a mile of appearing a little bit similar to true, come back on here and brag about what a genius you are.

Congratulations!  Your Prognosticator Extraordinary certificate is in the mail!

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I remember one or two people proposing this, yes, but here's the thing: Hindsight is always 20/20. (Wait, I've also heard that before! Hmm, too much deja vu.)

Actually, the part I can't wait to have happen is for the Patriots to trade Tom Brady in about two years and bump my old Brady contract extension topic. I saved up plenty of crow for everyone to eat!

You really think the Pats will trade Tom Brady?  Did the Colts trade Manning?  Did the Packers trade Favre?  Did the 49ers trade Montana?

That will not happen.  Brady would retire first.  Then maybe come back like Favre did.  To the Jets too.

2 hours ago, bluxco said:

colt management is a joke--------they are wasting the LUCK years

You realize that the Colts didn't win the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning until year 6 of 7?

I'm not predicting that here,  but it's still really early in Luck's career.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You really think the Pats will trade Tom Brady?  Did the Colts trade Manning?  Did the Packers trade Favre?  Did the 49ers trade Montana?

That will not happen.  Brady would retire first.  Then maybe come back like Favre did.  To the Jets too.

Well....      ahhhh....     ummmmm....

Yes....      the 49ers DID trade Joe Montana.     To KC.

No,  Green Bay didn't trade Favre,  but they let him walk,  and he ended up playing for the Jets and the arch rival Vikings.     The Packers had this kid named Rodgers that they wanted to play.

NO,  the Colts didn't trade Manning,  but they chose Luck over Manning when push came to shove.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....      ahhhh....     ummmmm....

Yes....      the 49ers DID trade Joe Montana.     To KC.

No,  Green Bay didn't trade Favre,  but they let him walk,  and he ended up playing for the Jets and the arch rival Vikings.     The Packers had this kid named Rodgers that they wanted to play.

NO,  the Colts didn't trade Manning,  but they chose Luck over Manning when push came to shove.

Ok, the 49ers wanted to keep Montana, but he demanded a trade.  If the Pats end up with the second coming of Steve Young nipping at Bradys' heels, maybe Brady demands a trade.

Point is that NE won't surprise Brady with a trade so they can pick up an extra draft pick.  Not if they want the eternity of NE-Brady Love that they are destined for when he retires.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, the 49ers wanted to keep Montana, but he demanded a trade.  If the Pats end up with the second coming of Steve Young nipping at Bradys' heels, maybe Brady demands a trade.

Point is that NE won't surprise Brady with a trade so they can pick up an extra draft pick.  Not if they want the eternity of NE-Brady Love that they are destined for when he retires.

To be clear,  I am absolutely NOT saying the Pats will trade Brady.      I won't go there.

I just wanted to address the other three players.     Nothing more.

7 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm not sure about that.....didn't they just re-sign him to an extention that back loaded the last couple years of his contract? IF he was to start to decline...IF...I'm not sure a team would trade for Tom under those conditions. He likely is not going to rapidly decline and will very likely be in position to break Peyton's yardage and td mark in his last season....and NO DOUBT Robert Kraft will want him to do it in NE. I don't see Tom going anywhere. Sure he could retire early or get cut if something crazy happens and he can't finish his contract but a trade...not likely. I know there is the Patriot way....but something tells me Tom is not included in that.

I should also note that we would not have likely gotten a very high pick for the trade.  He had one year left on his rookie deal and then what ever team had to trade for him was going to have to pay him.

Remember you arn't just trading the player you are trading the contract.  1 year of cheap play isn't worth a high pick.  

On 3/12/2016 at 7:10 AM, Dustin said:

I mean we're probably going to get a 4th round comp. pick for him. 

We should hope he has a healthy season and Brees light him up!!
 And IMO, the idea of trading him last season, when our sights were set high, was plain silly.

There will be some good players in THIS draft in the 4th! Should be true in 2017.
 And for those that haven`t heard, starting in 2017 those comp picks become tradeable.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Of your 17 posts on here only two even relate to Fleener and neither has any mention of a trade...just bashing the organisation. In fact all of your posts have a similar theme. Did you post it with another handle or possibly one that was banned, which is most likely?   

Maybe he/she posted under the TROLL heading