Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman Negotiations (Merged)

dw49

1 hour ago, MTC said:

This is just an educated guess, but I am assuming the Colts are offering $6 million a year and Freeman wants $8 million.

100% agree, & neither is really in a position to be so stubborn about it. Seriously, meet in the middle at $7mil, & call it good. Don't these guys watch Pawn Stars?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Because most people are all about greed. Its like this IMO. When you get up in the millions. What's the difference in making 6 million a year or 7? I mean so what. If it were me I'd take a little less to play for my team, or a good team.

Yours is not the only Dear God worthy post in the thread but all the same, Dear God...  What an absolute load of garbage.

Is it greedy to want what you think you are worth?  NFL players like Freeman have one chance to at a big contract in their career and this is it for him.

You ask what is the difference between 6 or 7 million per year.  Well how about this - $1 freaking million dollars.  And then multiply that by the length of the contract and you know what you have?  Millions of dollars.  It forever amuses me when someone decides how much money someone else should make.

Lastly, to your line about taking less.  That is pure bovine excrement.  We would all be trying to maximize our revenue.

16 minutes ago, MTC said:

?

In what way is Freeman 2nd only to Kuechly in pass coverage at the ilb spot? Like by what metric, stat, website, etc? I've watched every NFL game he has played and never once have thought this... nor have I seen any other poster say something like that; and I'm on this site quite a bit.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Yours is not the only Dear God worthy post in the thread but all the same, Dear God...  What an absolute load of garbage.

Is it greedy to want what you think you are worth?  NFL players like Freeman have one chance to at a big contract in their career and this is it for him.

You ask what is the difference between 6 or 7 million per year.  Well how about this - $1 freaking million dollars.  And then multiply that by the length of the contract and you know what you have?  Millions of dollars.  It forever amuses me when someone decides how much money someone else should make.

Lastly, to your line about taking less.  That is pure bovine excrement.  We would all be trying to maximize our revenue.

So he would take a little less. What's the big freaking deal? Can't blame a guy for wanting to make as much as he can, but let's not act like the counterpoint is trash. Guys take less all the time for various reasons. I happen to agree with Colts 449, I would take less under some circumstances.

In fact I currently do because of things like work environment, hours, etc. If I were to work in a law firm, I would make close to twice what I currently make, at least 75 percent more. But that would mean I work 60-70 hour weeks spilling work into the weekend and seldom see my wife and kid. No amount of money is worth that time IMO.

Same with the NFL, some guys like their current situation or fear a change in teams could have a negative impact on their career. You don't think guys like NNami Asomugha would do it differently if he could? 

Bottom line is, money isn't everything to some people. Whether we're talking the difference between 6 and 7 mill a year or 60 and 70 thousand a year, that ain't a big difference depending on other factors. I wouldn't say those people are geeedy, but you don't want to get 5 years down the road and wonder if you made the right choice no matter what your bank statement reads.

Thought the team already had a succession plan in place for Freeman- signed Irving, gave away a 6th round pick this year for Moore, drafted Herrera Seems like that we have the makings of a great training camp battle between these guys.

Just don't believe we need to spend precious cap space on a player that was good, but not irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

So he would take a little less. What's the big freaking deal? Can't blame a guy for wanting to make as much as he can, but let's not act like the counterpoint is trash. Guys take less all the time for various reasons. I happen to agree with Colts 449, I would take less under some circumstances.

In fact I currently do because of things like work environment, hours, etc. If I were to work in a law firm, I would make close to twice what I currently make, at least 75 percent more. But that would mean I work 60-70 hour weeks spilling work into the weekend and seldom see my wife and kid. No amount of money is worth that time IMO.

Same with the NFL, some guys like their current situation or fear a change in teams could have a negative impact on their career. You don't think guys like NNami Asomugha would do it differently if he could? 

Bottom line is, money isn't everything to some people. Whether we're talking the difference between 6 and 7 mill a year or 60 and 70 thousand a year, that ain't a big difference depending on other factors. I wouldn't say those people are geeedy, but you don't want to get 5 years down the road and wonder if you made the right choice no matter what your bank statement reads.

Your argument that you chose a lower paying job is not relevant. His hours do not change. If you could make the same amount of hours making more money you would take it. He was underpaid through the prime of his career,  and we won't pay the guy. If you were underpaid and unappreciated for years at your job, would you work for them at a smaller salary then the company down the street offers? Probably not. At this point he deserves to cash in, while he can. Maybe if we paid him last year instead of insulting him with the tender we could have gotten a hometown discount, but not now. You can't look at it as he's greedy for taking a million more a year now, he took several million less during the years he should have made most. He took WAAY less then he was worth for years here. He took less while thinking that if he played his butt off he would be rewarded by the Colts. Well he worked his butt off, and we didn't do % for him. Sucks to lose him, but I get it and hope all the best to the guy if he leaves.

3 hours ago, Qcolts said:
  • A pass rusher is more important than Freeman. Did we not see what Von Miller did in the playoffs?

First off,  welcome to the forum!! 

But seriously who are we going to sign for pass rush?? I saw von Miller in the playoffs, but there isn't a von Miller available.  even day one of free agency there wasn't a von Miller available, and if there was we wouldnt have got him with the cap space we have. 

13 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Your argument that you chose a lower paying job is not relevant. His hours do not change. If you could make the same amount of hours making more money you would take it. He was underpaid through the prime of his career,  and we won't pay the guy. If you were underpaid and unappreciated for years at your job, would you work for them at a smaller salary then the company down the street offers? Probably not. At this point he deserves to cash in, while he can. Maybe if we paid him last year instead of insulting him with the tender we could have gotten a hometown discount, but not now. You can't look at it as he's greedy for taking a million more a year now, he took several million less during the years he should have made most. He took WAAY less then he was worth for years here. He took less while thinking that if he played his butt off he would be rewarded by the Colts. Well he worked his butt off, and we didn't do % for him. Sucks to lose him, but I get it and hope all the best to the guy if he leaves.

he took way less than what he was worth after having played in the CFL, do you even hear yourself?

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

he took way less than what he was worth after having played in the CFL, do you even hear yourself?

I'm not saying right out of the CFL, but every other year he could have held out. He had top 5 tackles in the league his first season, and made an amount equal to a backup with 15 tackles on the season. 2013 he backed that up with another solid season. 2014 he was hurt 4 games and still almost got 100 tackles on the year. What does he get for three solid seasons where he didn't complain about his contract?  A cruddy contract where he made less than his backup Irving. Tell me this, would you work for less then the guy who just started at your company, who puts in less work then you?  

33 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

$1,000,000 extra bucks buys alot of poutine...

I'd keep Freeman around for 2-3 years while trying to concentrate on filling out the team proper in the draft...

My thoughts exactly.  We have too many holes to fill.  Unless there's a good value pick in FA or the draft  at ILB, pony up a little extra change to keep Jerrell as a stopgap. He's a good-but-not-great,  durable player

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Off topic, but sincere respect to you for that! :thmup:

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Because most people are all about greed. Its like this IMO. When you get up in the millions. What's the difference in making 6 million a year or 7? I mean so what. If it were me I'd take a little less to play for my team, or a good team.

Dude, when one injury could permanently end your career, the difference between $1-2 million is an enormous one.

It's easy to flippantly say what you just said when it's not a real situation, but genuinely try to imagine yourself in Freeman's shoes.

7 hours ago, MTC said:

Quick rant:

I don't understand why Freeman won't re-sign with the Colts. I know this is his only opportunity to make a lot of money, but if it wasn't for the Colts, Freeman would still be playing in the CFL. Just take the hometown discount or move on. 

Quick, though I understand and sentimentalize with your statement, sadly this is a cutthroat business in both directions.  I think it would be good for both sides if he stayed and I hope they can come to an agreement, but I don't blame a player for getting what he can while he can even if that means he leaves us which I really hope doesn't happen.  These guys are putting it all out there with their health and the NFL is making lots of money off it at every opportunity.  As you stated, this is likely his last chance to make significant money and we have to admit he's put it all out there for us since he's been here.  I sure hope it continues.  He may not be a superstar as someone else suggested, but he's been one of our best defensive players since the day he got here and his loss will be felt even if his name isn't missed as much as some others.  

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Say what you want, Freeman has earned whatever he can get. He has been underpaid since he has been here. It will be more than likely his last payday and I don't blame him at all to want what he has earned since he's been here. If he can get it with another team I wouldn't blame him at all to go. He is bargaining for his last money from the NFL and if you cant accept that the NFL is a business and when it comes to your livelihood you have to get what you can. Colts need to pay him. You said something, if you were him? Well your not wearing his shoes.

So Freeman is an interesting one in that I think he's the mid point at a number of levels. By that I mean I can get why he's holding out, he missed out on a 1st contract of note and this is his last chance at making some $$ while he can. It's not greed, and also it's down to the individual to decide is money more important than other factors. 

Conversely from the Colts point of view this is one of those decisions you have to make as a Franchise. Ideal world you'd keep Freeman, but it's a business and if from an investment point of view his talent doesn't matchup to what he wants he has to walk. 

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but we seem to be making mountains out of molehills here. I hope he's back, but only at the right price. I don't think he's enough of a difference maker to spend significant money on.

11 hours ago, SDakColts said:

If he gets more than Trevathan then I hope we are not the ones giving him the contract. If the contract is anywhere close to that then we should have went after Trevathan instead due to age.

Age and Trevathan is a better all around LB. I said this in another thread, I can live without Freeman. We have Irving and Moore behind him and I would be just fine letting those two compete for the job. Grigson probably feels the same way. I'd be happy with Freeman coming back but not at the money Trevathan got. He's not the all around LB Trevathan is.

6 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I'm not saying right out of the CFL, but every other year he could have held out. He had top 5 tackles in the league his first season, and made an amount equal to a backup with 15 tackles on the season. 2013 he backed that up with another solid season. 2014 he was hurt 4 games and still almost got 100 tackles on the year. What does he get for three solid seasons where he didn't complain about his contract?  A cruddy contract where he made less than his backup Irving. Tell me this, would you work for less then the guy who just started at your company, who puts in less work then you?  

What that other guy does is irrelevant. I negotiate my own salary. If I feel I should make more, then I will bring it up at my annual review. If I don't get paid more, I can always go somewhere else should the occasion arise. But, if I'm going to leave my current job, like I said the pay can be more, but if the working hours are crap I'm staying put.  Again, money isn't everything.

29 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What that other guy does is irrelevant. I negotiate my own salary. If I feel I should make more, then I will bring it up at my annual review. If I don't get paid more, I can always go somewhere else should the occasion arise. But, if I'm going to leave my current job, like I said the pay can be more, but if the working hours are crap I'm staying put.  Again, money isn't everything.

:agree:    Same here.   I could make quite a bit more than I do, but I like my schedule,  I like my hours and my  time off, I enjoy my time with my husband and family, and as you say.......  Sometimes money costs too much.   

I think it is sound free agent and roster building strategy to give Freeman a price and let him walk if he wants to exceed it.  We have other options and getting the compensation pick will help find his long term replacement. 

If Grigson sets the dollar number high enough, it induces another team to give Freeman a great contract, which goes into the formula for how high the compensation pick is.

12 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't really feel it's fair to accuse players of being greedy. I do like care that a player focuses on the game and not just their money, but these guys play a very dangerous sport where no one leaves the league fully healthy. Let's let the guys make as money as they can and be happy for them. If they don't earn it then hope the teams will settle the matter.

57 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I am in a similar situation. I have been offered numerous times to become a Manager where I am at over the years but just keep my Supervisor position which pays only around 10,000 dollars less a year. The position I have is easy, laid back, and my hours are great. If I was to become a Manager, the money would be better but the hours would stink and it would be stressful. I already make pretty good money so I'll stick with what I got LOL.

1 minute ago, funktacious2 said:

I don't really feel it's fair to accuse players of being greedy. I do care that a player focuses on the game and not just their money, but these guys play a very dangerous sport where no one leaves the league fully healthy. Let's let the guys make as money as they can and be happy for them. If they don't earn it then hope the teams will settle the matter.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am in a similar situation. I have been offered numerous times to become a Manager where I am at over the years but just keep my Supervisor position which pays only around 10,000 dollars less a year. The position I have is easy, laid back, and my hours are great. If I was to become a Manager, the money would be better but the hours would stink and it would be stressful. I already make pretty good money so I'll stick with what I got LOL.

To follow this Post up, everyone is different. Money is everything to some people. I love money as well but I would keep a position making 40,000 a year with Good Benefits that isn't stressful and where you are liked over a position making 50,000 a year with Good benefits where your hours stink and people hate you haha 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow this Post up, everyone is different. Money is everything to some people. I love money as well but I would keep a position making 40,000 a year with Good Benefits that isn't stressful and where you are liked over a position making 50,000 a year with Good benefits where your hours stink and people hate you haha 

I wouldn't necessarily phrase it as "money is everything to some people."  While that may be true in some cases, I think that really, what most people are trying to accomplish by making as much as they can is to provide a living for their family while also setting them up financially for things like college, retirement, etc.  There's no shame in that either.  The difficult thing for everyone is figuring out that balance where you know you are making enough to do the things to set up your family's future, but still have time to enjoy today and be involved in all the small things today.  

Not that we've derailed this thread already lol.