Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman Negotiations (Merged)

dw49

I think Indy needs to keep Freeman.

Found this for what it's worth .. which I hope is very little.

OX 59 Indy's Chris Hagan reports talks between the Colts and free agent ILB Jerrell Freeman "are not going well."

Freeman is not expected to give the Colts a hometown discount, and Indy does not appear willing to move off their current offer. As it stands, it seems likely Freeman is playing elsewhere come September. The Chiefs were reportedly "poking around" Freeman earlier in the week, but they ended up re-signing Derrick Johnson. Freeman is Rotoworld's No. 1 available inside linebacker.
Related: Colts

M

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick rant:

I don't understand why Freeman won't re-sign with the Colts. I know this is his only opportunity to make a lot of money, but if it wasn't for the Colts, Freeman would still be playing in the CFL. Just take the hometown discount or move on. 

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

It is what it is, we'll be fine without him and we'll be fine with him. It's not like he's a superstar.

He's one of (if not the best behind Kuechly) the best coverage ILB's in the game. That's a good trait to have. A ILB that can cover.

5 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

If he gets more than Trevathan then I hope we are not the ones giving him the contract. If the contract is anywhere close to that then we should have went after Trevathan instead due to age.

Not just because of age, Trevathan is also just better than Freeman. I agree though, if he wants anything more than $6m a year, let him sign with someone else, although I don't think anyone is going to give him that much.

13 minutes ago, MTC said:

Quick rant:

I don't understand why Freeman won't re-sign with the Colts. I know this is his only opportunity to make a lot of money, but if it wasn't for the Colts, Freeman would still be playing in the CFL. Just take the hometown discount or move on. 

Because most people are all about greed. Its like this IMO. When you get up in the millions. What's the difference in making 6 million a year or 7? I mean so what. If it were me I'd take a little less to play for my team, or a good team.

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

He's one of (if not the best behind Kuechly) the best coverage ILB's in the game. That's a good trait to have. A ILB that can cover.

I don't believe he is anywhere close to Kuechly in coverage ablitiy. He is more a liability in that area than anything tbh. 

1 minute ago, MasterCrief said:

Not just because of age, Trevathan is also just better than Freeman. I agree though, if he wants anything more than $6m a year, let him sign with someone else, although I don't think anyone is going to give him that much.

I don't think that Trevathan is extremely better than Freeman although I would prefer Trevathan. It is just that with Trevathan and his age you can expect him to continue to play at a high level for the distant future. Freeman is 30 which is usually the age where the decline could start. Grigson talks about getting younger now we need to do just that.

30 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think Indy needs to keep Freeman.

Found this for what it's worth .. which I hope is very little.

OX 59 Indy's Chris Hagan reports talks between the Colts and free agent ILB Jerrell Freeman "are not going well."

Freeman is not expected to give the Colts a hometown discount, and Indy does not appear willing to move off their current offer. As it stands, it seems likely Freeman is playing elsewhere come September. The Chiefs were reportedly "poking around" Freeman earlier in the week, but they ended up re-signing Derrick Johnson. Freeman is Rotoworld's No. 1 available inside linebacker.
Related: Colts

M

I think we could find a better option through the draft let him walk if he wanted to be here he would accept the deal because he is good in coverage but average in run defense.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Because most people are all about greed. Its like this IMO. When you get up in the millions. What's the difference in making 6 million a year or 7? I mean so what. If it were me I'd take a little less to play for my team, or a good team.

It makes a huge difference when this is likely your last opportunity to get paid. To imply he's greedy is a bit much. 

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Would you decline a pay raise at work? I don't think most people would, and the NFL works the same way. Occasionally you will get a player that wants to play for a contender or cares more about winning than a paycheck. However, for the most part most are out to make a living and looking for financial gain for financial stability after their NFL career is over. I wouldn't call it all about greed. 

14 minutes ago, Mjølner said:

Could someone make an educated guess what the compensatory pick would be for him?

8 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

It really depends how much he gets paid. Based off of what the reports of the contract would be I would guess a 5th rounder.

i thought we wouldnt get one at all considering he was an UDFA

arnt comp picks supposed to be given out for losing drafted players when they hit free agency?

4 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Would you decline a pay raise at work? I don't think most people would, and the NFL works the same way. Occasionally you will get a player that wants to play for a contender or cares more about winning that a paycheck. However, for the most part most are out to make a living and looking for financial gain for financial stability after their NFL career is over. I wouldn't call it all about greed. 

Like I said. when you're talking about Millions of dollars. Whats the big deal? You're still going to be a millionaire and set for life. I mean if we offer him 4/24 and he turns it down for a 4/26 or something that seems like greed to me. Its a different ball game when you're talking about millions.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Like I said. when you're talking about Millions of dollars. Whats the big deal? You're still going to be a millionaire and set for life. I mean if we offer him 4/24 and he turns it down for a 4/26 or something that seems like greed to me. Its a different ball game when you're talking about millions.

its his one chance to cash in, and the difference could amount to more than the average person makes in a life time.  the average american makes less than 4 mil in a lifetime, these numbers are a big deal

being on a good, bad or mediocre team wont matter much when he is providing for his family and what not 20 years from now

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't see how looking out for you best interest is being greedy. Most players look long term as they know their NFL career is limited. Many players base their playing career off of finances in order to provide for their families presently and in the future. I don't fault any player for trying to cash in while they can. Would I like for a player to take a discount to play for the Colts yes, but I don't expect it, or call them greedy for cashing in elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i thought we wouldnt get one at all considering he was an UDFA

arnt comp picks supposed to be given out for losing drafted players when they hit free agency?

I don't think that matters that he was undrafted. At least I am not familiar with the rule. I believe comp picks are distributed to make up for the loss of key free agents. With Freeman being a key free agent he should qualify for a comp pick. The formula for comp picks is salary, playing time, and postseason honors.

Again I could be wrong as I have not heard or a rule baring undrafted free agents. I am sure if someone knows they will correct me.

56 minutes ago, MTC said:

Quick rant:

Sounds like he's ready to move on.....

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Not the players today.  They spend it all and are broke in a few years.  

It matters....make big, spend big. It's your one time to cash in. Plus, 40% of that is going out the door to Uncle Sam. 

I look at is like this.....I've been in the workforce for 10 years now. I have made a little over 1 million in salary during that time. I sure as heck need more of those millions over the next 30 years. 

The guarantee is really all that matters anyway.

45 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

1 minute ago, ColtJ82 said:

It matters....make big, spend big. It's your one time to cash in. Plus, 40% of that is going out the door to Uncle Sam. 

I look at is like this.....I've been in the workforce for 10 years now. I have made a little over 1 million in salary during that time. I sure as heck need more of those millions over the next 30 years. 

The guarantee is really all that matters anyway.