Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m [Merge]

Lef

I know this won't be a popular, as I wanted to keep Fleener myself, but with the cap expanding, I bet he lands at least 8M or more on the open market. If we don't sign him, it was simply do to the money. I bet we are going to see what we paid for Allen is not that much. It is easy to view this through the prism of how he has been hurt. If he is healthy, well worth the money, especially as the cap continues to expand. Everyone should take that into consideration. Everyone thought two years ago the Vontae money was insane, now it looks like a bargain.

The one thing I think everyone is missing is  we will have a relatively high comp pick coming next year in the draft. This is how the Ravens operate. They develop their players, and the ones they cannot sign bring them high comps.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Everyone in front of us would have to take 2 players for Henry to be BPA at 18

I'm not talking about drafting Henry in the first place at 18, but your comments are bull. I was thinking of some replacements for Fleener and started thinking of scenarios. But lets play your game! I know if it came down to Hunter Henry and Leonard Floyd I'm taking Henry. Better Player who wont be sitting in the first round because of nothing but measurables and nothing else. And its funny because half the forum will sit up and clap over a signing like that! Henry could help a team right away blocking and receiving. Point is BPA will not always be a defensive player or even a lineman. Henry is a quality player, and they have him listed as the next Jason Witten on NFL.com. 51 catches with no drops and almost 800 yards receiving. And all hell will break loose if he's drafted why?

48 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not talking about drafting Henry in the first place at 18, but your comments are bull. I was thinking of some replacements for Fleener and started thinking of scenarios. But lets play your game! I know if it came down to Hunter Henry and Leonard Floyd I'm taking Henry. Better Player who wont be sitting in the first round because of nothing but measurables and nothing else. And its funny because half the forum will sit up and clap over a signing like that! Henry could help a team right away blocking and receiving. Point is BPA will not always be a defensive player or even a lineman. Henry is a quality player, and they have him listed as the next Jason Witten on NFL.com. 51 catches with no drops and almost 800 yards receiving. And all hell will break loose if he's drafted why?

Am I reading this right?     With all the Colts needs,  you want them to draft Hunter Henry with their first pick at 18?

Is that what you're saying?      (Please say no, please say no, please say no!)

Allen brings more to the table than Fleener does. Allen fits what direction the Colts are going with trying to develop more of a run game. IMO it`s a smart signing. Fleener is pretty much a receiver and the Colts have three.

Some of you super-negative people at least have to wait and see what kind of role Allen will get in Chud's offensive. Why do people assume that he is only going to be a block-TE? That was last year and Pep.

For starters, I would love to see Allen get back in the mix in the Red Zone, I miss his TD's there. :scoregood:

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Not always a lesser talented guy. Dallas Clark, for instance, was really good, but he had his flaws -- some injuries, couldn't block. Polian made him the highest paid TE in league history, with $20m guaranteed, and $28m in the first three years. That was after the 2007 season. To that point, Clark's career highs were 58 catches, 616 yards (he also caught 11 TDs that year, which is ridiculous). But it's interesting that 8 years ago, Clark got more than Allen is getting now, and people are freaking out about Allen's deal.

I proudly give Polian a lot of credit. He is one of the greatest at evaluating talent in the history of the NFL. He did have a flaw though, and that was to overpay players who "he felt" fit his system/s.

You got my point though. 

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I just hope Elliot slips to us.. unlikely but man would he be a GREAT addition...

It is possible.

I would not be against taking him at #18. Good value pick there. 

I would rather have a top tier offensive lineman, but we have to take the best player on the board. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

It is possible.

I would not be against taking him at #18. Good value pick there. 

I would rather have a top tier offensive lineman, but we have to take the best player on the board. 

A lot of mock drafts have us taking that Ohio St. Tackle.  I am all for getting a lineman from Ohio State.. they recruit and coach those guys up amazingly well.  Mewhort is going to grow into one of the top O-Linemen in the league in my opinion so I wouldn't be against considering that OSU tackle or Ryan Kelly the Alabama center in the 2nd round.  I hope we never have to see Harrison lining up in front of Luck again.  Let 3 young O-linemen grow together along with Constanzo... would be awesome.  I also wish there was a stud rush linebacker available but I don't think we have a high enough pick do we? Any idea? 

But of all the guys who MIGHT be available at 18, my hopes are we snag Elliot.  

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

A lot of mock drafts have us taking that Ohio St. Tackle.  I am all for getting a lineman from Ohio State.. they recruit and coach those guys up amazingly well.  Mewhort is going to grow into one of the top O-Linemen in the league in my opinion so I wouldn't be against considering that OSU tackle or Ryan Kelly the Alabama center in the 2nd round.  I hope we never have to see Harrison lining up in front of Luck again.  Let 3 young O-linemen grow together along with Constanzo... would be awesome.  I also wish there was a stud rush linebacker available but I don't think we have a high enough pick do we? Any idea? 

But of all the guys who MIGHT be available at 18, my hopes are we snag Elliot.  

I can see a scenario where Elliot is the best player on the board. This Colts board might blow up, but depending on the situation, it might be the right pick. It will all depend on how high we have him on our board.

I can see a situation where we might trade back with a team like Seattle (maybe they want Elliot if he falls to us). We can pick up an extra third round pick.

AC and Mewhort have the left side locked down. It will be interesting to see how free agency goes.

I want us to draft at least one of these players, and hopefully two of them:

Ronnie Stanley
Jack Conklin
Taylor Decker
Cody Whitehair
Ryan Kelly
Shon Coleman
Jason Spriggs
Joshua Garnett
Le'Raven Clark
Nick Martin

Christian Westerman

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I reading this right?     With all the Colts needs,  you want them to draft Hunter Henry with their first pick at 18?

Is that what you're saying?      (Please say no, please say no, please say no!)

Do you understand Best Player Available or are you going to keep arguing about needs? BPA says take the highest rated player on your board. This is a SCENARIO I brought across to remind that BPA includes offensive players. I prefer a defensive player sure, but the goal of the pick is to get an excellent football player. Henry is an excellent football player who in scenario could be higher rated than some defensive players on the board depending on how the board drops. In the scenario I presented if Henry was BPA you are damn right I'd take him over lesser rated defensive players like Floyd. In fact it wont shock me at all if Henry has a higher score as an impact football player on Grigsons board than somebody like Foyd. Irsay says Let The Board Speak To You. I would not violate my scoring system just to take the lesser rated defensive player.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I can see a scenario where Elliot is the best player on the board. This Colts board might blow up, but depending on the situation, it might be the right pick. It will all depend on how high we have him on our board.

I can see a situation where we might trade back with a team like Seattle (maybe they want Elliot if he falls to us). We can pick up an extra third round pick.

AC and Mewhort have the left side locked down. It will be interesting to see how free agency goes.

I want us to draft at least one of these players, and hopefully two of them:

Ronnie Stanley
Jack Conklin
Taylor Decker
Cody Whitehair
Ryan Kelly
Shon Coleman
Jason Spriggs
Joshua Garnett
Le'Raven Clark
Nick Martin

Christian Westerman

From what I have heard on ESPN Nick isn't as highly thought of as his brother.  Have you heard anything? 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

From what I have heard on ESPN Nick isn't as highly thought of as his brother.  Have you heard anything? 

Yeah, Nick had a knee injury in college and that hurt him on tape. That said, he could be the answer for us at center or guard. I see him as a great value pick in the second or third round. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I get the feeling the Colts overshot their target. Reportedly, they had been talking with Allen's people, and I assume numbers were exchanged. Four hours after the tampering period begins, Allen re-signs with the Colts. I feel like their numbers were higher than what anyone else was interested in offering, and his people figured that out quickly and came back to Indy with grins on their faces. JMO.

We'll have to wait on the structure, but the average would make Allen the 10th highest paid TE in the league. If he's healthy, that's acceptable. Maybe they could have gotten him for $6m, but now we're being petty.

I fell that might be a fair guess as to how it played out. They obviously wanted to keep him and over cooked the opening position.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I fell that might be a fair guess as to how it played out. They obviously wanted to keep him and over cooked the opening position.

I think Allen genuinely wanted to stay, so if they overpaid him, they failed to use their own leverage. I haven't heard Fleener make statements on how much he wanted to stay.. perhaps either he simply did not want to be here or we told him we weren't interested.  Who knows... do you think Fleener even negotiates with the Colts?  I was fine with keeping them both, but definitely glad they locked up Allen.  

The plan is probably for the guy to gain the 5 or 10 pounds needed to play OT for the 8 games a year that he is healthy. The Colts Continuity Campaign continues.  What brilliant move will  Irsay's underrated and underpaid GM and head coach tandem make next?

I am glad to see Allen back in the fold. For those complaining about his price tag....you can thank Buffalo for signing Clay to that ridiculous offer last year....which they are trying to re-work btw. Everyone gets all worked up over the cap rising but it also means player's price tags rise and some teams make ridiculous offers to middling players...which of course drives up the prices on all players at that position.

I also am quite certain DA will be the main focus as a TE in Chud's scheme...

Some food for thought:

http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end

I don't understand this signing AT ALL. Yeah I like Dwayne Allen, but for $30 million dollars and dishing out $12 million year one? No short contract with incentives or some sort of prove it deal? How can the Colts value someone so injury prone so highly? By paying him $12 million this year that pretty much throws Fleener out of Indianapolis and depletes any chances of signing any impact free agents.

I value Fleener much higher than Allen and I still wouldn't even pay Fleener this much money. This is Ludacris. Ryan Grigson is killing this team. Dwayne Allen should of signed something closer to four years - $16 million.

This move makes zero sense. We could have signed Fleener, Chandler and kept Doyle all for under $12 million this year.

I hate Grigson. You're an * and you keep burying this team.

51 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I don't understand this signing AT ALL. Yeah I like Dwayne Allen, but for $30 million dollars and dishing out $12 million year one? No short contract with incentives or some sort of prove it deal? How can the Colts value someone so injury prone so highly? By paying him $12 million this year that pretty much throws Fleener out of Indianapolis and depletes any chances of signing any impact free agents.

I value Fleener much higher than Allen and I still wouldn't even pay Fleener this much money. This is Ludacris. Ryan Grigson is killing this team. Dwayne Allen should of signed something closer to four years - $16 million.

This move makes zero sense. We could have signed Fleener, Chandler and kept Doyle all for under $12 million this year.

I hate Grigson. You're an * and you keep burying this team.

Since when have we ever gone for big name FAs, before Grigson or with him. I wouldn't be surprised if its an Irsay thing rather than the GM too much. Its just something we don't do. If you're looking to be excited by huge name FA signings then I'd find another team buddy.

Although its generally accepted that building through the draft is much better for long term success. None of the big teams the last few years are high profile FA spenders (maybe except the Broncos, but they knew they were on a clock). 

The Charles Clay contract set the market for average to above average tight ends. Grigson was going to either overpay for Allen who has injury issues or Fleener who has more shortcomings on the field (drops, lack of physicality, sub-par blocking).

Allen is the better player. End of story.  

So was just doing some math on this......

Some are saying his cap hit is gonna be in the 7.5 range,

So basically, assuming we officially cut Andre Johnson, we just moved his salary to Dewayne Allen. So its kind of a wash I suppose.

I just want to say WOW, i am absolutely astonished and appalled. I thought Allen was as good as gone, and on the outside looking in there looks to be little hope for Fleener and that saddens me. The Kid has been a workhorse and we reward him with throwing a hefty contract(yes we overpaid for a guy that only had 16 catches) to injury prone Allen. Im truly disappointed on this one. I believe this re-sign will come back and haunt us, as many have. I realized that this organization likes holding on to often injured players only for them to continue down the same path. Ultimately this hurts the team as a whole. I really hope they can get a Deal done with Fleener soon.

Eh, there's going to be stupid money tossed around in free agency. Not that terrible of a deal considering he's one of the best "complete" TEs in the league. Can't blame his under-utilization for last year on him. He'll excel under Chud. Biggest thing is if he can stay on the field...That's what worries me

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We need to get O-line help for that doesn't mean he deserves 30 million dollars that's terrible. Its because of this kind of crap is the reason why we find us not winning in the playoffs where it counts the most.

Now comes ANOTHER slow footed stiff tackle wait and see.
 4th place in the division for years to come.

If he stays healthy then it is a good deal.  This is what happens when the salary cap increases $12 million.  Players are going to want to be paid and this is on par with some TE's.  Plus Fleener is going to want the same thing IMO and we signed the better of the two based on the position.  Chud will do more with Allen and a better line lets him run routes.