Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m [Merge]

Lef

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This is why Grigson should have been fired..... way to high for a guy who's off the field 1/3 of the time or more.....

Nonsense.     He was IRd once.    That dramatically inflates the time missed.  It's not like he misses 6 games a season.  Football is a brutal sport,   most players miss time

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I get the feeling the Colts overshot their target. Reportedly, they had been talking with Allen's people, and I assume numbers were exchanged. Four hours after the tampering period begins, Allen re-signs with the Colts. I feel like their numbers were higher than what anyone else was interested in offering, and his people figured that out quickly and came back to Indy with grins on their faces. JMO.

We'll have to wait on the structure, but the average would make Allen the 10th highest paid TE in the league. If he's healthy, that's acceptable. Maybe they could have gotten him for $6m, but now we're being petty.

The healthy bit is why I'm kind of surprised at the $16m guarantee. At least I thought that's what I read.

I know Allen has struggled with injuries but guys who get injured still get paid.

The Colts have done a nice job of constructing most of the contracts they signed guys to so that they can cut them after only a couple years with little to no harm to their cap situation.

Fleener is gone. Grigson said in an interview around the combine they are likely only keeping one of Allen or Fleener.

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

... gracious . I was thinking in the neighborhood of around 5 per year. I think this increased cap over the past 2 years is now showing big inflation. I also think teams (most) are managing the cap expertly. That's made for  less teams in cap trouble.. so obviously more competition for the good free agents.

Yeah, there's gonna be some serious money thrown around this year. I was shocked by some of the TE deals that were done earlier this offseason, and Allen's new deal is less than those, so the market seems to be pretty clearly defined. Allen is good, the question is whether he can stay healthy (the major injury stuff was three years ago now), and whether the staff is going to use him properly (TBD). 

2 minutes ago, Bizarro Superman said:

The healthy bit is why I'm kind of surprised at the $16m guarantee. At least I thought that's what I read.

I haven't seen that number. I saw $12m in Year 1, $17m in the first two years. If true, that basically guarantees the $17m, but we'll have to see.

This is a very good signing. We overpaid, but many TEs are getting overpaid with the cap increase. Allen was arguably the best TE on the market so he was going to get paid. I think Chud's offense will get him back into a main facet of our offense.

I believe that Chud's opinion on what TE he wanted of the two weighed heavily in this decision.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nonsense.     He was IRd once.    That dramatically inflates the time missed.  It's not like he misses 6 games a season.  Football is a brutal sport,   most players miss time

Just brace yourself. Every move the team makes will be met with choruses of 'this is why Grigson should have been fired.' Every time something bad happens on the field, it will be 'this is why Pagano should have been fired.' Might as well get used to it.

My Two Cents:

Good God what a lot of money! 7.35 million per year. At least it is a front loaded deal, and we can walk away after a couple of years, if this thing were to go south.

I will say this again and again, because I believe it to be so. If Dwayne Allen gained 50 pounds then he could be a starting left tackle in the NFL. I truly believe that.

When 100% healthy, Allen is the best blocking TE in football. 

We can pretty much say good-bye to Fleener. I doubt Fleener would take anything less than we gave Allen. After all, he was drafted a round in front of Allen. Even though I thought that was backwards (Allen should have been drafted first), Fleener's agent probably won't let it go though. No way we have enough budgeted at the TE position to give both of them lucrative deals. 

Now let's look at it from a market point of view:

Jimmy Graham, Seahawks, $10,000,000 
Travis Kelce, Chiefs, $9,368,400 
Julius Thomas, Jaguars, $9,200,000 
Rob Gronkowski, Patriots, $9,000,000 
Zach Ertz, Eagles, $8,500,000 
Charles Clay, Bills, $7,600,000 
Greg Olsen, Panthers, $7,500,000 
Jordan Cameron, Dolphins, $7,500,000 
Jason Witten, Cowboys, $7,400,000 
Vernon Davis, Broncos, $7,350,000
Dwayne Allen, Colts, $7,350,000
Kyle Rudolph, Vikings, $7,300,000 

Dwayne Allen is tied as the 10th highest paid TE in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Moncrief said:

Arizona? Have to think Arians is in touch

Arians' guy was Dwayne Allen, not Fleener. I doubt Arians has much interest.

Allen was a stud his rookie year under BA and you have to believe the FO wants to get back to that. Chud, being a TE guy, should be the right person to get Allen back to where he should be with proper utilization.

I personally love this move. I think we'll soon be laughing at the armchair GMs calling this a dumb deal.

I don't think Fleeners replacement will be Swoope, so I'm wondering what they have in mind?  Wonder if they are considering drafting Hunter Henry to go along with Allen?  Hunter Henry is a very well rounded tight end who can block and catch.  Just thinking out loud here.

9 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Just saying roughly. Obviously it's 1.8ish but I'm generalizing, let an angry pessimist be angry :angry::thmup:

No, that's still not accurate. You don't judge a contract's total four year value against one year of production. If you were being fair, you'd say $30m for his 91 career catches, and then you'd have a more equitable formula.

And even then, he's not being paid for what he's done. He's being paid to play well in the future. If he doesn't, he won't get that full $30m.

I don't know what everyone expected? Being tied for the 10th highest paid TE in the league is not all that bad. Now we get to hear how Grigson should have been fired? This firing Grigson horse dung is going to get old and the draft hasn't even happened yet.

11 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Arians' guy was Dwayne Allen, not Fleener. I doubt Arians has much interest.

Allen was a stud his rookie year under BA and you have to believe the FO wants to get back to that. Chud, being a TE guy, should be the right person to get Allen back to where he should be with proper utilization.

I personally love this move. I think we'll soon be laughing at the armchair GMs calling this a dumb deal.

Arians also loves a vertical offense, which Fleener suits better, granted he has to catch the ball when it gets there.

We all agree that DA is the more complete TE and I'm with you on the last part.

Depending on his health, I still think the potential is there for Allen to outplay this contract. The production hasn't been there so far because of the injury bug, but he has all of the tools to be a top 5 TE in this league... 

Despite the high contract (and I do think it is a little excessive) I like the combo of Doyle and Allen better than Doyle and Fleener, for this team, at least. If we had NE's wr core, I might feel different. 

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Jimmy Graham, Seahawks, $10,000,000 
Travis Kelce, Chiefs, $9,368,400 
Julius Thomas, Jaguars, $9,200,000 
Rob Gronkowski, Patriots, $9,000,000 
Zach Ertz, Eagles, $8,500,000 
Charles Clay, Bills, $7,600,000 
Greg Olsen, Panthers, $7,500,000 
Jordan Cameron, Dolphins, $7,500,000 
Jason Witten, Cowboys, $7,400,000 
Vernon Davis, Broncos, $7,350,000
Dwayne Allen, Colts, $7,350,000
Kyle Rudolph, Vikings, $7,300,000 

Assume Vernon gets released, but it's possible Fleener gets more than Allen, so Allen might drop down to #11 on this list.

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Actually, yes it is fact, especifically if you count the games hes limited and knocker out of.... And that's not counting playoff games or games where he was limited/didn't play.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Actually, yes it is fact, especifically if you count the games hes limited and knocker out of.... And that's not counting playoff games or games where he was limited/didn't play.

I guess you think gronk is injury prone as well? 

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get the feeling the Colts overshot their target. Reportedly, they had been talking with Allen's people, and I assume numbers were exchanged. Four hours after the tampering period begins, Allen re-signs with the Colts. I feel like their numbers were higher than what anyone else was interested in offering, and his people figured that out quickly and came back to Indy with grins on their faces. JMO.

We'll have to wait on the structure, but the average would make Allen the 10th highest paid TE in the league. If he's healthy, that's acceptable. Maybe they could have gotten him for $6m, but now we're being petty.

Just playing the hypothetical's here:

It also could mean that some team is going to give Fleener a huge contract that we were not expecting, so the front office felt it had to secure Allen.

It is possible the front office budgeted 10-11 million to sign them both (just hypothetical numbers here), and Fleener's camp hinted the offers they are getting are in the 8-9 million range

I can see several reasons why Allen won here. But I can also see why the Colts will call it a win too.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think Fleeners replacement will be Swoope, so I'm wondering what they have in mind?  Wonder if they are considering drafting Hunter Henry to go along with Allen?  Hunter Henry is a very well rounded tight end who can block and catch.  Just thinking out loud here.

Stick with Jack Doyle and maybe draft a late TE + a UDFA or two. Use Dwayne Allen in a Gronk lite role. He can play both the "Fleener" part and his own depending on the situation.

As for Swoope, I don't think he's getting it. I know he's a freak of nature physically, so I hope it clicks for him but I think he's got a long way to go mentally still. Here's hoping he proves to be a player.

Just now, csmopar said:

Actually yeah I do but Gronk makes up for it with amazing production and makes his team better. DA hasn't to date. 

When he was actually used his rookie year he did.   He was woefully under used with pep.  I think chud will utilize him correctly

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, that's still not accurate. You don't judge a contract's total four year value against one year of production. If you were being fair, you'd say $30m for his 91 career catches, and then you'd have a more equitable formula.

And even then, he's not being paid for what he's done. He's being paid to play well in the future. If he doesn't, he won't get that full $30m.

No but the 12 million the first year is way to high 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Just playing the hypothetical's here:

It also could mean that some team is going to give Fleener a huge contract that we were not expecting, so the front office felt it had to secure Allen.

It is possible the front office budgeted 10-11 million to sign them both (just hypothetical numbers here), and Fleener's camp hinted the offers they are getting is in the 8-9 million range

I can see several reasons why Allen won here. But I can also see why the Colts will call it a win too.

Yeah, that's the other end of it. They might have heard from Fleener's people and come to the conclusion that Fleener was going to be too expensive, so they jumped on Allen at this number.

After hearing Grigson talk twice in the past couple weeks, twice mentioning the desire to start getting some comp picks moving forward, I started to get the feeling that they weren't going to keep both TEs, and that they'd keep the guy who came with the lower price tag (which was likely to be Allen). I also got the impression that they'd let Freeman walk, and Freeman's comments in recent days make that seem like a done deal.

4 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Stick with Jack Doyle and maybe draft a late TE or two. Use Dwayne Allen in a Gronk lite role. He'll play both Fleener's part and his own depending on the situation.

As for Swoope, I don't think he's getting it. I know he's a freak of nature physically, so I hope it clicks for him but I think he's got a long way to go mentally still. Here's hoping he proves to be a player.

With us bringing Scott Chandler in for a visit today I'm assuming they are looking for one in FA as well.  I don't want Scott Chandler though so I hope he's not it!

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When he was actually used his rookie year he did.   He was woefully under used with pep.  I think chud will utilize him correctly

Guess we'll see.....hope he proves worth it....... but marks my words, if he gets hurt again( which I pray he wont), I'll be right there to say I told you so. However,  if he suddenly flourishes and becomes the beast ypu think he is, I'll gladly eat my words and the crow with it. But Ive got a feeling I won't have too