Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m [Merge]

Lef

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's obvious. I'm just not fond of hyperbole and overreaction. I think the contract is too high, but a lot of people are going to be overpaid this offseason.

To many people looking at the entirety of the contract instead of the guaranteed portion, I see this as a 2 year guaranteed deal

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

People are saying "typical Grigson" but honestly this reminds me more of a Polian move. Take that as you will

To be honest, Polian would have paid a lesser talented player more money, in a much lower salary cap era.

Polian really was impelled to keep his own.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's obvious. I'm just not fond of hyperbole and overreaction. I think the contract is too high, but a lot of people are going to be overpaid this offseason.

People seem to not realize that players keep getting over paid more and more each year. It's FA. Higher amounts of money are tossed around each year.

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think Fleeners replacement will be Swoope, so I'm wondering what they have in mind?  Wonder if they are considering drafting Hunter Henry to go along with Allen?  Hunter Henry is a very well rounded tight end who can block and catch.  Just thinking out loud here.

If we draft Henry at 18, all hell will break loose. Glad we kept Dwayne, even though the writing is on the wall that Coby will land elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You are kidding, right? 

:pokerface:

Nope, dead serious. We take Henry, Irsay should get rid of Grigson on site. OL is the way to go at that pick unless Zeke is somehow someway still on the board.

2 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

They just signed Julius Thomas last offseason and wasn't a big factor. How do you think Coby would compare?

With that said, I'd be perfect happy for him to sign a huge deal with the Jags.

If Julius is healthy, expect him to get back to Pro Bowl status like he was in Denver.

3 minutes ago, JH8788 said:

Nope, dead serious. We take Henry, Irsay should get rid of Grigson on site. OL is the way to go at that pick unless Zeke is somehow someway still on the board.

You may want to reread the first post you quoted

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

To be honest, Polian would have paid a lesser talented player more money, in a much lower salary cap era.

Polian really was impelled to keep his own.

Not always a lesser talented guy. Dallas Clark, for instance, was really good, but he had his flaws -- some injuries, couldn't block. Polian made him the highest paid TE in league history, with $20m guaranteed, and $28m in the first three years. That was after the 2007 season. To that point, Clark's career highs were 58 catches, 616 yards (he also caught 11 TDs that year, which is ridiculous). But it's interesting that 8 years ago, Clark got more than Allen is getting now, and people are freaking out about Allen's deal.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,   he isn't talking about derrick henry

I'm well aware of that. What I'm saying is that it would be uncalled for to take a TE at 18 when there's obvious issues elsewhere that must be addressed.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not always a lesser talented guy. Dallas Clark, for instance, was really good, but he had his flaws -- some injuries, couldn't block. Polian made him the highest paid TE in league history, with $20m guaranteed, and $28m in the first three years. That was after the 2007 season. To that point, Clark's career highs were 58 catches, 616 yards (he also caught 11 TDs that year, which is ridiculous). But it's interesting that 8 years ago, Clark got more than Allen is getting now, and people are freaking out about Allen's deal.

Great point.  

I like this signing.  

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I'm quite surprised.  I'm guessing it was a cheap deal.   

We have to keep Fleener.   

@ProFootballTalk: It's a four-year, $29.4M deal for Colts TE Dwayne Allen, with $12M paid out in year one, $17M through year two. He had 16 catches last year.

Wow just overpaid big time for an average player I like Fleener a lot better he's not injury prone and he has produced Allen hasn't done squat in more than 3 years.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's the other end of it. They might have heard from Fleener's people and come to the conclusion that Fleener was going to be too expensive, so they jumped on Allen at this number.

After hearing Grigson talk twice in the past couple weeks, twice mentioning the desire to start getting some comp picks moving forward, I started to get the feeling that they weren't going to keep both TEs, and that they'd keep the guy who came with the lower price tag (which was likely to be Allen). I also got the impression that they'd let Freeman walk, and Freeman's comments in recent days make that seem like a done deal.

I'd say odds are at lest 80% Fleener signs elsewhere. I don't think Allen was second choice as Fleener probably won't get significantly more. I think more of a case as Allen being a more complete TE

Allen is what we need to be honest and ok we paid him 7m that gonna be nth when u loak at the rising cap. Allen is all around player block catch etc...we have  passing options so fleener might be to expensive and not what we need 

3 hours ago, MTC said:

All I can say to all those who have relentlessly insisted Fleener was who the Colts should and would keep while getting rid of Allen: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

By the way, it might be a way to cut the contract legs out from under Fleener as the Colts don't need him and should he want to stay his value plummeted and if he leaves his value likely took a big hit as well.  No one knows the value of those two tight ends more than the Colts.  (And perhaps some of us fans of Allen!).  Allen (and to be fair Fleener as well) simply were not used the way they should have been all season, in part perhaps because of the injuries to Luck etc and the porous O-line.  Let's hope we take advantage of Allen's full skills now.  And Allen came out and made it clear he WANTED to stay even after only getting 16 catches.,  He believes.. and he wants to keep his TV show I bet cause he's a media hound to be.   

1 hour ago, JH8788 said:

If we draft Henry at 18, all hell will break loose. Glad we kept Dwayne, even though the writing is on the wall that Coby will land elsewhere.

Only from silly people who think BPA is limited to defensive need players. BPA means BPA and if that be Henry then that's what it is. 2 tight ends is a staple of Chuds offense so I could see it. Maybe not at 18 but it would not surprise me. Huge drop off after Allen and don't tell me nothing about Jack Doyle because he is more blocker than anything else.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We better be cutting Cole, DQ, Jones, Werner, and Harison to make sure we have enough room to sign a couple impact free agents. I'd much rather have Jeff Allen and Casey Hayward than all 5 of the guys listed above. I'm starting to get worried. We need to be cutting like crazy tomorrow.

Just because we start cutting guys,to create more money in no way guarantees we're gonna sign two impact free agents just because we have some money. Remember how many other teams have alot of money and a number more than us. Alot teams this year are gonna be able to pay more than we will. I wouldn't get set on us signing any impact free agents tbh.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

Only from silly people who think BPA is limited to defensive need players. BPA means BPA and if that be Henry then that's what it is. 2 tight ends is a staple of Chuds offense so I could see it. Maybe not at 18 but it would not surprise me. Huge drop off after Allen and don't tell me nothing about Jack Doyle because he is more blocker than anything else.

Everyone in front of us would have to take 2 players for Henry to be BPA at 18