Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m [Merge]

Lef

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No but the 12 million the first year is way to high 

We'll see about that. If that's mostly signing bonus, then this is a typical contract. It could be a $10m signing bonus and a $2m base salary, in which case his cap hit in 2016 is just $4.5m. That's reasonable. The Colts gave Hilton a $10m signing bonus, and AC a $14m signing bonus.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

With us bringing Scott Chandler in for a visit today I'm assuming they are looking for one in FA as well.  I don't want Scott Chandler though so I hope he's not it!

Yep, I'm sure they'll look at FA as well.

Maybe Vontae convinces his bro to sign here for cheap (assuming he's cut) . . . Just kidding

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's the other end of it. They might have heard from Fleener's people and come to the conclusion that Fleener was going to be too expensive, so they jumped on Allen at this number.

After hearing Grigson talk twice in the past couple weeks, twice mentioning the desire to start getting some comp picks moving forward, I started to get the feeling that they weren't going to keep both TEs, and that they'd keep the guy who came with the lower price tag (which was likely to be Allen). I also got the impression that they'd let Freeman walk, and Freeman's comments in recent days make that seem like a done deal.

Makes logical sense to me. 

It will be nice to get some quality comp picks for a change. Fleener, the top second rounder, should yield us a nice 2017 comp pick. 

I am okay with letting Freeman walk. I like a lot of ILB's in this draft. It is not out of the question for us to take Ragland in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

We'll see about that. If that's mostly signing bonus, then this is a typical contract. It could be a $10m signing bonus and a $2m base salary, in which case his cap hit in 2016 is just $4.5m. That's reasonable. The Colts gave Hilton a $10m signing bonus, and AC a $14m signing bonus.

And if it's say 10 mil base plus 2 mil signing?

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It will be nice to get some quality comp picks for a change. Fleener, the top second rounder, should yield us a nice 2017 comp pick. 

I am okay with letting Freeman walk. I like a lot of ILB's in this draft. It is not out of the question for us to take Ragland in the first round. 

If Fleener gets more than Allen, he'll be worth a 4th rounder in 2017. And that pick will be tradeable. 

Those complaining about the deal should at least wait to see how the money is allocated over the next 4 years at least. Guaranteed money is what is important.

It averages $7,350,000.00 over the entire life of the contract (Which would currently stand as 9th highest average per year among TE's) and 7th in guaranteed money which is $16,000,000.00 according to Spotrac.

This sounds like (If Spotrac is accurate) a 2 year guaranteed deal if I broke it down right...I'm guessing based on my numbers $8,650,000.00 in year reasonable numbers in my opinion given his skill set and the fact that he can produce at a high level (again if he can remain healthy and we use him in the passing game more)

Well.....

I think we overpaid for Allen.....

I don't think we'll be bringing Fleener back since we're paying Allen 7.35 Mil per.

I suspect Fleener will get the 8 Mill per year contract that Dustin thinks he'll get, but from some other team, and not the Colts.

I would've guessed something closer to 4/24 or 4/26.      But 4/29.4?      That was much more than I expected.

I'm OK with letting Fleener walk at 8 Mill per.     I like him,  but not that much.    Sorry he may have negotiated his way out of Indianapolis.....

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If Fleener gets more than Allen, he'll be worth a 4th rounder in 2017. And that pick will be tradeable. 

Funny thing is; taking Fleener in front of Allen, might have actually paid off for us after all. I had Allen as my number one TE in 2012, and Fleener was my second. If memory serves me correctly, I think most people had Allen ahead of Fleener. Amazing how things in football sometimes work out. 

8 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Yep, I'm sure they'll look at FA as well.

Maybe Vontae convinces his bro to sign here for cheap (assuming he's cut) . . . Just kidding

I thought about that, but Vernon is starting to look like he's finished so I don't know.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Its all up to us if we want to be Super Bowl contenders. Why wouldn't we? We sign a good guard and a good corner. then hit in the draft with a EDGE rusher, NT, and a Center and we're set. I don't see why we wont be active in free agency unless Grigson doesn't want to win. I'm not one of those wait a year or 2 guys when we could make the moves and win now.

All offseason you've made it sound easier than it actually is. If you were actually a general manager, you would be in for a realty check. There are several factors that determine where each free agent goes.

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Let Freeman walk?Guy is  tackle machine. U think Cole and Werner are the answer? They both need to be CUT!

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Very bad signing-2 much money just to block. The dude looks like Mr. Built put is soft as cannot play a whole season.

He definitely isn't soft. He may be injury prone but he blocks his tail off and has receiving ability. The tight end we are getting rid of and hopefully getting a handsome compensation pick for is the soft one.

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Funny thing is; taking Fleener in front of Allen, might have actually paid off for us after all. I had Allen as my number one TE in 2012, and Fleener was my second. If memory serves me correctly, I think most people had Allen ahead of Fleener. Amazing how things in football sometimes work out. 

They were the only good TEs in that draft. Fleener was the flashier name, since he was Luck's teammate and ran a great 40, but Allen won the Mackey award. He was a good prospect, but didn't work out well.

8 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Let Freeman walk?Guy is  tackle machine. U think Cole and Werner are the answer? They both need to be CUT!

LOL. WHAT?

You do realize that Cole and Werner are Outside Linebackers, right? What are you referring that they be the answer to? 

And let's get it straight. Freeman is not a tackling machine. He is a really good cover linebacker. D'Qwell is our tackling machine. 

You could not have missed any further with that response if a stupid stick repeatedly hit you in the face as your were stuttering the words. 

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

He definitely isn't soft. He may be injury prone but he blocks his tail off and has receiving ability. The tight end we are getting rid of and hopefully getting a handsome compensation pick for is the soft one.

How many years does it take to put that receiving ability together. A player like him in old school football days would not even make a team.

I think we made the right choice in choosing Allen.  He is the best overall TE on our team.  I think our coaches feel that way.  With an improved OL he won't be asked to block as much which will allow him to get into more pass patterns this year.  Grigson has done a great job structuring contracts so I'm not going to get excited until I see the details.  I hated watching Fleener go down so easily.   He was going to be highly sought after in FA.  I feel it was a win win for both parties.  

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL. WHAT?

You do realize that Cole and Werner are Outside Linebackers, right? What are you referring they be the answer too? 

And let's get it straight. Freeman is not a tackling machine. He is a really good cover linebacker. D'Qwell is our tackling machine. 

You could not have missed any further with that response if a stupid stick hit you in the face multiple times, as your were stuttering the words. 

A little sensitive here I see fellow colt fan-Maybe u need some billy jack moves to your face HA! yeah I know the team too MIB. ROB, LOB-WE need help all along.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I just think this is really dumb, really dumb.

Yeah, that's obvious. I'm just not fond of hyperbole and overreaction. I think the contract is too high, but a lot of people are going to be overpaid this offseason.

5 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

How many years does it take to put that receiving ability together. A player like him in old school football days would not even make a team.

He had 8 touchdowns in 2014. He isn't getting receptions because there are so many people in front of him including the starting tight end Coby Fleener who only gets catches that go for two yards and gets tackled by someone half his size. With Chud running the offense he will have a great year barring injury.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

A little sensitive here I see fellow colt fan-Maybe u need some billy jack moves to your face HA! yeah I know the team too MIB. ROB, LOB-WE need help all along.

LOL

Dude you are cracking me up tonight. 

Keep up the great work. :)