Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m [Merge]

Lef

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I don't understand this signing AT ALL. Yeah I like Dwayne Allen, but for $30 million dollars and dishing out $12 million year one? No short contract with incentives or some sort of prove it deal? How can the Colts value someone so injury prone so highly? By paying him $12 million this year that pretty much throws Fleener out of Indianapolis and depletes any chances of signing any impact free agents.

I value Fleener much higher than Allen and I still wouldn't even pay Fleener this much money. This is Ludacris. Ryan Grigson is killing this team. Dwayne Allen should of signed something closer to four years - $16 million.

This move makes zero sense. We could have signed Fleener, Chandler and kept Doyle all for under $12 million this year.

I hate Grigson. You're an * and you keep burying this team.

The 12 mil for the year is as Crazy Eddy (commercial in NY pre-WIZ) used to say way back when "PRICES ARE INSANE!" Another Ryan bonehead move here. Why keeping paying players on the lets' wait for potential to develop and it does not.

I have liked Allen, but my goodness, how do you not show up for work for the majority of the time you are here and get a huge raise and push out the guy who has played, made big plays and helped us win. Allen has spent most of his time in rehab & yet we pay him as if he is a full-time quality starter, which he has not been. $29+ million for part-time work, great if you can get it, but stupid if you pay it.

why do people keep looking at extent of the contract? It's been along time now that (specially cause this has been Grigson MO since he got here) that the new NFL is a  2 year deal en reality, with a crapload of money upfront so they can cut him if needed after year 2with no dead cap issues.

From what i undrestand after seeing hte contract, this is another 2 year deal where they will choose to continue paying if he earns it or just get rid of him

10 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

this 6 page thread about the exact same thing wasn't good enough?  Had to start your very own thread to whine in?

Actually Ace, I saw it on Rotoworld to start my day. Came to this forum and NO topic of this came up.
 I checked on this Forums FA news also, then came back to Colts FB news and it still wasn`t there.
  I thought it was Breaking News and just couldn`t stop myself from posting.

I see Allen as slow and injury prone and this as a terrible investment in Cap $$$.
   MORE Irsay/Grigson Buffoonery. I call it opinion.
  Just have to see what he contributes the next few years. lol

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually Ace, I saw it on Rotoworld to start my day. Came to this forum and NO topic of this came up.
 I checked on this Forums FA news also, then came back to Colts FB news and it still wasn`t there.
  I thought it was Breaking News and just couldn`t stop myself from posting.

I see Allen as slow and injury prone and this as a terrible investment in Cap $$$.
   MORE Irsay/Grigson Buffoonery. I call it opinion.
  Just have to see what he contributes the next few years. lol

Well, Ace, if you'd have simply looked at the main page of the Colts Forum (where topics about Colts and Colt players would most likely be), you would have seen that 6 page thread already existed and has been in the top 5 active threads since it was started yesterday.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I mean. He's right dude. I wanted Allen back too. But that's too much for him. 4/20 yeah. But 7 plus million a year is too much.

But that isn't reality and this isn't a video game.  Wait until you see what free agents will be signing for in a couple days.   The price goes up every year.   Allen is as of now the tenth highest paid TE.  I'm guessing Fleener gets more.   It's just the nature of the beast.  Much like people complaining about how much a guy is getting paid,   even though they have never negotiated a contract in their life

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

But that isn't reality and this isn't a video game.  Wait until you see what free agents will be signing for in a couple days.   The price goes up every year.   Allen is as of now the tenth highest paid TE.  I'm guessing Fleener gets more.   It's just the nature of the beast.  Much like people complaining about how much a guy is getting paid,   even though they have never negotiated a contract in their life

The thing is I don't feel Allen has done enough to earn a contract like that. I had rather us given more to Fleener if that's the case. Now Allen's gonna have to produce big time to live up to that contract.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

The thing is I don't feel Allen has done enough to earn a contract like that. I had rather us given more to Fleener if that's the case. Now Allen's gonna have to produce big time to live up to that contract.

If you have watched chuds offenses,  then you should know allen will be utilized much more going forward

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Allen is more than capable of putting up big time production if he's not asked to stay in and block all the time.

Maybe this will be an Everson Griffin situation. Remember when he got that monster contract and nobody though he was worth it? Then he came out and had a monster year? Lets hope. And like a lot of people I also worry about Allen's durability.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah, there's gonna be some serious money thrown around this year. I was shocked by some of the TE deals that were done earlier this offseason, and Allen's new deal is less than those, so the market seems to be pretty clearly defined. Allen is good, the question is whether he can stay healthy (the major injury stuff was three years ago now), and whether the staff is going to use him properly (TBD). 

Serious money is an understatement . Looks like the top is being blown off IMO. Word is Osemele will sign for around 11 million per year. Talk is about the same in line for Mack. Maybe just talk but I have a feeling it's not. Colts need to get a deal done with Luck before this kind of inflation hit the QB position. 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Serious money is an understatement . Looks like the top is being blown off IMO. Word is Osemele will sign for around 11 million per year. Talk is about the same in line for Mack. Maybe just talk but I have a feeling it's not. Colts need to get a deal done with Luck before this kind of inflation hit the QB position. 

Yeah,  11 million for a guard is crazy

Just maybe, inside FAs who are quality individuals and get too much money are more likely to give effort that outside FAs who are cashing in.  We have a unique "we're all one big family" atmosphere, so it's like a soldier mentality - you do it to avoid letting down your comrade-in-arms.  I've seen little evidence that this is working for us, but that could be the thinking...

12 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Well, Ace, if you'd have simply looked at the main page of the Colts Forum (where topics about Colts and Colt players would most likely be), you would have seen that 6 page thread already existed and has been in the top 5 active threads since it was started yesterday.

Are you Daft?
 The main page is OF Course where i started and I Told You it wasn`t there when i first looked.

And it wasn`t there when i went back to it the 2nd time so I started a topic.  Good grief!!

46 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

The 12 mil for the year is as Crazy Eddy (commercial in NY pre-WIZ) used to say way back when "PRICES ARE INSANE!" Another Ryan bonehead move here. Why keeping paying players on the lets' wait for potential to develop and it does not.

Why don't we wait and see what the structure of the contract is before claiming anything was a bone head move

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

Eh, there's going to be stupid money tossed around in free agency. Not that terrible of a deal considering he's one of the best "complete" TEs in the league. Can't blame his under-utilization for last year on him. He'll excel under Chud. Biggest thing is if he can stay on the field...That's what worries me

i have been reading a lot of comments calling him a "complete TE".  I would love for Allen to become the player the colts want him to be but how is he a "complete" TE just because he can block well.  That makes him a blocking TE.  

RECEIVING
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2015 Indianapolis Colts 13 16 109 6.8 8.4 21 1 1 0 4 0

2014 Indianapolis Colts 13 29 395 13.6 30.4 41T 8 6 1 24 1

2013 Indianapolis Colts 1 1 20 20.0 20.0 20T 1 1 0 1 0

2012 Indianapolis Colts 16 45 521 11.6 32.6 40 3 9 1 30 1

Those stats are not a complete TE, they are a blocking TE.  He has not earned the right to be called complete until he shows he can do the receiving part of being a TE.

I hope this works out but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't SHOCKED at the numbers reported on the deal.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Are you Daft?
 The main page is OF Course where i started and I Told You it wasn`t there when i first looked.

And it wasn`t there when i went back to it the 2nd time so I started a topic.  Good grief!!

I'm not daft at all.  I simply don't believe that you looked because if you had, and paid any kind of attention at all, you would have seen the 6+ page thread titled Colts re-sign Dwayne Allen, four years $29.4m

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Are you Daft?

who cares if you started another topic.  I for one, don't want to jump into a conversation between 40 people that is 7 pages long.  I appreciate you starting the new thread for those of us that haven't discussed it yet.  If they have already discussed the topic of your thread and don't want to do it again, they can just not click on your thread.

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

i have been reading a lot of comments calling him a "complete TE".  I would love for Allen to become the player the colts want him to be but how is he a "complete" TE just because he can block well.  That makes him a blocking TE.  

RECEIVING
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2015 Indianapolis Colts 13 16 109 6.8 8.4 21 1 1 0 4 0

2014 Indianapolis Colts 13 29 395 13.6 30.4 41T 8 6 1 24 1

2013 Indianapolis Colts 1 1 20 20.0 20.0 20T 1 1 0 1 0

2012 Indianapolis Colts 16 45 521 11.6 32.6 40 3 9 1 30 1

Those stats are not a complete TE, they are a blocking TE.  He has not earned the right to be called complete until he shows he can do the receiving part of being a TE.

I hope this works out but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't SHOCKED at the numbers reported on the deal.

Those stats are misleading...Assuming he's the feature TE this year those stats, that so many on here live or die by, will increase substantially. Not every team has or had a Fleener/Allen combo

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Are you Daft?

It's been in the top 3 threads since yesterday.  Perhaps it is you who is daft

15 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

It's right around the same money that Zach Ertz got. He's definitely better than Ertz. So people need to get over this and understand prices in the FA market are going up. 

Why of course you are the authority in who is better.
 Ertz has one slight advantage i hope you agree.
 He has played in 47 of 48 games in his career. 
 Hopefully Allen doesn`t play like he did Most of last season. Yes, including his blocking, which was
 spotty way too often. Yes, he had an attitude because of how he was being used, and it sure looked like he carried that onto the field. Lets see how the $$$ affects his attitude now.

11 minutes ago, Archer said:

Just maybe, inside FAs who are quality individuals and get too much money are more likely to give effort that outside FAs who are cashing in.  We have a unique "we're all one big family" atmosphere, so it's like a soldier mentality - you do it to avoid letting down your comrade-in-arms.  I've seen little evidence that this is working for us, but that could be the thinking...

Far from unique.

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why don't we wait and see what the structure of the contract is before claiming anything was a bone head move

Lol cmon... this is the Colts forum.  We will make assumptions on shoddy evidence as much as we so please :-)

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,  11 million for a guard is crazy

In all fairness , he did play LT for the Ravens the last few games of 2015. So maybe they don't view him as a pure guard. But just the talk of the salaries that's being thrown around is nuts. The #'s for Mack . Malik Jackson and some others appear to blow the lid off. I do remember in the past , the projected contracts falling short of what the market turned out to be ... so maybe this is not the beginning of what looks to be a new pay scale ?