Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bowen: Henry Anderson might not be ready by week 1

12isthenew18

5 minutes ago, 12isthenew18 said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/2/14/10991686/colts-re-henry-anderson-knee-isnt-expected-to-be-ready-for-week-1

Also david parry could be replaced. I thought he did better than most of the line 

I guess that wouldn`t say much for the rest of the line. The kid is a FB player and gritty.
 QB`s snap it with Zero fear of his pass rush and he can be ran at. Me thinks if you want to build a top notch front seven, a David Parry would at best be a backup.

You all realize that Parry played dang good for the fact he is a ROOKIE!!! STARTER IN THE NFL

Geez people talk about drafting and developing players. But yet you all don't want to give the kid a chance to improve.  Heck, even Mathis and Freeney weren't shaking QBS their first year. 

I think he might actually be ready week 1, but even if he's not. I definitely don't seeing any PUP. He may miss the first 4 games or so, but I don't see him missing half the season under any circumstances. By week 1 it will have been what? 10 months since the injury? He'll be back by November anyway.

And if we replace David Parry I actually think Zach Kerr can be the guy. If he'd show up in better shape with more stamina. But I wouldn't mind a impact signing at NT. One Damon Harrison would do just fine. He's 27 and probably the 2nd best 3-4 NT in the NFL. He's a run stuffin fool lol. He'd be a very nice piece for the D. Then a guy like Ian Williams would be a very good under the radar signing IMO.

3 hours ago, 12isthenew18 said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/2/14/10991686/colts-re-henry-anderson-knee-isnt-expected-to-be-ready-for-week-1

Also david parry could be replaced. I thought he did better than most of the line 

All the more reason to look at players like DT Vernon Butler, A'Shawn Robinson, Sheldon Rankins, and Andrew Billings.

Would love Indy to snag their LB of the future in either Jaylon Smith or Noah Spence round 1, then land a Vernon Butler or Rankins early round 2.

2 hours ago, General_Hux said:

I guess I didn't remember there being a problem with Parry's play.  He didn't light the world on fire, but he and Anderson were one of the pleasant surprises of the 2015 season. 

Parry wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He was mediocre. It's definitely a position that can and should be upgraded.

A young guy with a complete ACL tear and no reported setbacks. Complete tears from a future health perspective are often better than partial tears due to a partial tear being more unstable during the healing process, coupled with the fact that partial tears are often more difficult to fix surgically.

Im not saying he'll make training camp but Id be surprised if he wasn't ready week 1.

For everybody talking about Parry. What I don't get is this. At the beginning of the year, like the first 4-5 games he was playing very, very well. I remember somebody posting something from PFF that said Parry was grading out as like the 3rd best 3-4 NT and Anderson was grading out as the 3rd best 3-4 DE. But anyways. He looked good early on, and then kinda fell off a cliff or hit a rookie wall or whatever expression you wanna use. But the way he played the first few games makes part of me think he can end up being a good starting NT on a good defense.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

For everybody talking about Parry. What I don't get is this. At the beginning of the year, like the first 4-5 games he was playing very, very well. I remember somebody posting something from PFF that said Parry was grading out as like the 3rd best 3-4 NT and Anderson was grading out as the 3rd best 3-4 DE. But anyways. He looked good early on, and then kinda fell off a cliff or hit a rookie wall or whatever expression you wanna use. But the way he played the first few games makes part of me think he can end up being a good starting NT on a good defense.

to me, it looked like parry fell off because of Anderson's injury

he was much better with his stanford buddy next to him

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Torn ACL is a 10-12 month injury. Bigger players typically come back more slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson misses half the season.

That would suck. But I'd rather him take as long as he needs. Didn't know the real extent to his injury. He's one of my favorite players on the D.

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

You all realize that Parry played dang good for the fact he is a ROOKIE!!! STARTER IN THE NFL

Geez people talk about drafting and developing players. But yet you all don't want to give the kid a chance to improve.  Heck, even Mathis and Freeney weren't shaking QBS their first year. 

Freeney had 13 sacks and 9 forced fumbles as a rookie, just for what it's worth.  In fact, that was the most FFs he had in any season of his career and the 3rd most sacks in his career.

5 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Granted I'm just a novice fan, but I didn't see any glaring holes in Parry's play. I full expected Anderson to be limited or on PUP to start the preseason

Parry didn't have any glaring holes in his play, but he also didn't look like a game-changer and his play got worse with injuries (Anderson) on the line.  He's not a bad rotational player, but there's certainly room for improvement (and it might be from him, not a new player).

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

And if we replace David Parry I actually think Zach Kerr can be the guy. If he'd show up in better shape with more stamina. But I wouldn't mind a impact signing at NT. One Damon Harrison would do just fine. He's 27 and probably the 2nd best 3-4 NT in the NFL. He's a run stuffin fool lol. He'd be a very nice piece for the D. Then a guy like Ian Williams would be a very good under the radar signing IMO.

I think Kerr has a lower ceiling than Parry.  Both are OK for rotational players, and neither are bad players but I don't think either one of them is ever going to be great.  Obviously, we can't have 'great' players at every position, but when we don't have a great player in a starting spot, we can always hope for improvement.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Parry wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He was mediocre. It's definitely a position that can and should be upgraded.

Agreed.  See more in my response to aaron11 below.

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

to me, it looked like parry fell off because of Anderson's injury

he was much better with his stanford buddy next to him

You, I think, are correct.  Parry looked better in the beginning of the year when he had Anderson.  I think he was OK later in the year, but I definitely thought his play level dropped off some -- could be for 3 reasons (IMO): (1) Many rookies, especially in the trenches, are not used to the extended season so he could have just been physically wearing down as the season progressed, (2) Anderson's level of play, which IMO was very high, was masking flaws in Parry or (3) Parry, being from Stanford with Anderson, was very used to his style of play and couldn't adjust as well with a different style of player next to him (which isn't necessarily that Anderson was masking Parry's flaws, just that maybe Parry needs some more time to adjust to the NFL and playing with players he doesn't have 4 years of prior experience with -- who knows, maybe Anderson would have dropped off if he stayed healthy and Parry went down).

Anyway, in an ideal world, players that seemed to be doing very good would not show a noticeable decline in performance due to injury to another player on the team.  Of course, having good players all around helps everyone out, but the very good/great players in this league are usually still very good/great regardless of whether they are playing with very good/great players next to them (I'd say Anderson was playing very good before he got hurt).  The fact that Parry seemed to noticeably fall off in performance with an injury to a fellow teammate suggests to me that he is probably an mediocre/average to good player instead of a very good or great player (again, he was only a rookie, so maybe he can improve).  Any time there is a starter who is average or good, it is probably natural to want to upgrade to a very good or great player.  If Grigs/Pags and the new staff are very serious about wanting to win in the trenches, it makes sense that we're looking to upgrade along the line and to me, with uncertainty around Anderson and A. Jones' health, it is probably wise to be looking to upgrade across the entire DL (if possible given cap constraints and draft options -- I still rank OL, CB, and LB as a little bigger concern than DL at this point).

16 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wonder if anyone picked Chapman or Hughes up. 

Yeah Montori Hughes was with the NY Giants this year. He didn't play too much. Was a rotational DT obviously. Chapman didn't ever get picked up all year long. This coming year he may get signed and go to camp and Preseason with some team looking for a hidden Gem or just depth. But I personally doubt he makes a final 53.

14 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah Montori Hughes was with the NY Giants this year. He didn't play too much. Was a rotational DT obviously. Chapman didn't ever get picked up all year long. This coming year he may get signed and go to camp and Preseason with some team looking for a hidden Gem or just depth. But I personally doubt he makes a final 53.

Sounds like the colts made the right moves for sure. Parry and Anderson have a bright future.

There is still another 7 months until the start of the season. I think Anderson will be ready. That's a long time for rehab.

Also, if Parry is just a product of Anderson then he can definitely be upgraded. I thought Parry played good most of the year, but I didn't notice that he stopped playing good right around the time that Anderson went out.

On 2/15/2016 at 10:20 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I guess that wouldn`t say much for the rest of the line. The kid is a FB player and gritty.
 QB`s snap it with Zero fear of his pass rush and he can be ran at. Me thinks if you want to build a top notch front seven, a David Parry would at best be a backup.

so, after his rookie year, you project Parry is best at backup?!