Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ted Monachino strong candidate to be new colts DC

RockThatBlue

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would much rather have Pettine. He is more proven.

Agreed. Only question is if he's ok with being a DC again. He may be trying to get another HC gig, although I'd doubt he'd get one with his only stint being so bad (its the Browns so you know...)

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I know nothing about the guy. I just know that a first time DC will certainly not excite the fanbase.

Nor would it be a good idea. We need someone that got thrown out with an entire coaching staff or was a HC, but a successful DC previously.

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It wasn't all that good with Horton over there either...

I feel like Pettine only has notoriety because he was under Rex.  Rex knows his Xs and Os when it comes to defense, so people may want to associate Rex' success with Pettine, but I don't think Pettine is as good as people want to give him credit for.

41 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't get all the love for Pettine.  Cleveland's defense wasn't that spectacular during his time there despite a lot of investment into that side of the ball

They also overpaid for a lot of average talent. How much they invested in irrelevant. What is relevant is the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Jim Leavitt. He studied under Bill Snyder @ Kansas State. He built South Florida from nothing. He was the LB coach for the 49ers under Vic Fangio, so he coached NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis and Ahmad Brooks. He's the current D.C. at Colorado. He ran a 4-3 D at South Florida, a 3-4 D with the 49ers and a 4-3 @ Colorado so he fits his scheme to the personnel available.

Well, it would make some sense. Ted Monachino is an expert in LB, Pagano in DB and the D-line looked pretty set this year, so from a bird eyes view it could work out regarding the positions we need to evolve the most.

I just hope Ted Monachino is a bit more creative than Pagano with schemes and what not.

6 hours ago, Shive said:

Agreed. Only question is if he's ok with being a DC again. He may be trying to get another HC gig, although I'd doubt he'd get one with his only stint being so bad (its the Browns so you know...)

Nor would it be a good idea. We need someone that got thrown out with an entire coaching staff or was a HC, but a successful DC previously.

I agree. This would be my search criteria. High quality defensive coordinator that was plucked to be a head coach too soon because they were coaching a solid program/defensive group. We can't afford to take the gamble on a guy who doesn't know the ins and outs of scheming and game planning a full defense already. We need proven, but not retreaded over and over again vs the potential next hot star. 

Im certain the Colts had someone in mind when they cut loose of Manusky though. Would be a large gamble to fire your guy and then hope the one you want is still avail and if not, have to settle for something that could be worse than what you had and knew. Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, colts52761 said:

Was hoping new DC , we would go back to a 4-3 defense

As I have said countless time the last three years going back to the 4-3 is not the answer 4-3 tampa 2 sucks it never works our defenses when we were 4-3 were much worst than our 2015 defense and that is saying something because this years defense was horrible. My opinion on what is wrong with our defense is that the only like star caliber layer on that defense right now is Davis used to be Mathis but he is just about done.

How about we hire Monochino as the linebackers coach and hire Pettine as the DC! Honestly they will probably hire Mono as DC though because they seem to try their hardest to maintain continuity. Hiring a big name kind of works to disrupt that because the big name will be gone in a year or two. Monochino has experience with the linebackers and the D line. They've probably come together and decided who the secondary coaches will be as well. I hope he is bright and fiery

10 hours ago, Shive said:

And he will leave as soon as he gets the opportunity to be a HC...hampering continuity with the Colts.  That could be part of the thinking.

It is widely believed that Monachino, who has never been a defensive coordinator at either the college or pro level, would eventually be the successor to current Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees. However, an opportunity could potentially come sooner with the Colts.  If Monachino did leave, it would be a blow to the Ravens, and to outside linebacker Terrell Suggs. Monachino coached Suggs at Arizona State and the two are extremely close

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-monachino-could-be-candidate-in-indy-20160105-story.html

24 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Almost every good player on their defense was injured.

The only good LBer he coached was Mosley.  Suggs and dumervil were already good. Reggie herring coached Miller threvanthan Marshall and irving