Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moore and Irving [Merge]

Lawrence Owen

Yeah..bad play on words, But you get my meaning.

I understand D'Qwell and Freeman are our 'mainstays' @ ILB spot, but they aren't playing to the level the D-line is.

The D-line has been good, if not terrific in comparison to what we had last year.  

Irving played 1 snap in Buffalo, and nearly had a highlight play at the goal line.

Both Moore and Irving are younger hard hitting tacklers whom should increase our run defense by playing to the style, if not level our D-line has.

I'm not saying start them,...but bring them in more often.  Significant snaps to see what they can do.  Make judgement calls on performance rather than just playing the guys you're comfortable with.

If not for 2-3 missed plays by  our current ILB starters, we could have held ALL the Bills RB's to under 3 YPC as a team,..not just Shady McCoy. 

Continue to shake  things up, don't stop at just  the D-line.

I understand D'Qwell and Freeman are our 'mainstays' @ ILB spot, but they aren't playing to the level the D-line is.

The D-line has been good, if not terrific in comparison to what we had last year.  

Irving played 1 snap in Buffalo, and nearly had a highlight play at the goal line.

Both Moore and Irving are younger hard hitting tacklers whom should increase our run defense by playing to the style, if not level our D-line has.

I'm not saying start them,...but bring them in more often.  Significant snaps to see what they can do.  Make judgement calls on performance rather than just playing the guys you're comfortable with.

If not for 2-3 missed plays by  our current ILB starters, we could have held ALL the Bills RB's to under 3 YPC as a team,..not just Shady McCoy. 

Ive got a feeling they will

I think it's because Irving is coming off a serious injury, and Moore just arrived in Indy and probably is still "catching up".  I am saying the same thing though.  Heck, I think McNary would contribute more than what's going on now!  Like the coaches always say "It's a process" lol.  I look to see all 3 of those guys playing more in the next couple of weeks.  Sooner rather than later if DQ and Freeman doesn't shape up.

Im not really concerned about the DL.  Langford looks GREAT, and Anderson, will continue to impress.  David and Henry work very well together because of their chemistry.  So I believe if the ILB pull their heads out of the ground the front 7 will be okay in the end.  Of course, there is always room for improvement, but I don't think they will be losing games because of them anymore.

I think at least 2 out of the 3 (Toler, Butler, Smith) will be playing.  I'm not that worried yet unless we all of a sudden start making some last minute moves at the DB spot.

The one that worries me the most is Toler. I believe he has a neck injury. That could linger and we need him back in the lineup at 100%. When he's healthy he's a solid corner.

With Toler, Butler and Smith out I think CB is by far the worst spot on our D at the moment.....

Good thing were playing the Jets this week lol.  Marshall even said he doesn't expect V. Davis to be shadowing him on Monday Night, claiming he himself is old and washed up.  I read it on a headline in the B/R app.  Either way I don't see Jets WR & QB as immediate threats, if we at least have the best corner in the game on our side. 

However I do expect Toler to be back (he was practicing again, and perhaps one other corner).  I think Butler was in a compromising situation last week, up against Harvin.  That's a bad matchup for him, especially on the outside!  I haven't watched Smith so much in TC or pre season, but I haven't heard anything spectacular about him.  I'm considering him a work in progress for now.  Perhaps Toler's replacement for the future.

I think after last week my main concern is the ILB stopping the run and how the offense will fare against another great front 7!  Jets don't have as good of an offense as the Bills, so all in all I think we will be fine, even if we haven't corrected some of the issues we saw last week.  However, we will be playing the Pats in 1 month so, I pray that they can turn things around quick, because I paid good money so I can go to LOS, and I will be sick to my stomach if they get the socks knocked off them, like they have before.

The one that worries me the most is Toler. I believe he has a neck injury. That could linger and we need him back in the lineup at 100%. When he's healthy he's a solid corner.

I'm not so worried for this Jets game if Toler happens to be out. Stick Vontae on Marshall and the other guys we have should be able to deal with Erick Decker and Devin Smith for the most part I believe.  Marshall is really the only legit guy they have in the passing game.  I think he'll win a couple vs Vontae but overall Vontae will keep him quiet for most of the game. I believe they are going to run almost a carbon copy of what the Bills did so there probably isn't going to be a whole lot of passing going on anyway. 

Running the football is also how the Texans got back into that game at Houston last year when we had Fitzpatrick shutdown in the passing game.  I'm fairly confident there won't be very much passing going on from them, maybe a shot here or there if they are able to run the football well.  Of course we can't rule that out with those two bad tackling ILBs we have!

...I understand D'Qwell and Freeman are our 'mainstays' @ ILB spot,...

This is why I would be surprised to see Pagano make any changes at ILB position.

Pags will continue to just keep trotting these two out there week after week, and when the defense struggles...

The blame, once again, will be cast, solely upon the young, inexperienced D-Line

Good thing were playing the Jets this week lol. Marshall even said he doesn't expect V. Davis to be shadowing him on Monday Night, claiming he himself is old and washed up. I read it on a headline in the B/R app. Either way I don't see Jets WR & QB as immediate threats, if we at least have the best corner in the game on our side.

However I do expect Toler to be back (he was practicing again, and perhaps one other corner). I think Butler was in a compromising situation last week, up against Harvin. That's a bad matchup for him, especially on the outside! I haven't watched Smith so much in TC or pre season, but I haven't heard anything spectacular about him. I'm considering him a work in progress for now. Perhaps Toler's replacement for the future.

I think after last week my main concern is the ILB stopping the run and how the offense will fare against another great front 7! Jets don't have as good of an offense as the Bills, so all in all I think we will be fine, even if we haven't corrected some of the issues we saw last week. However, we will be playing the Pats in 1 month so, I pray that they can turn things around quick, because I paid good money so I can go to LOS, and I will be sick to my stomach if they get the socks knocked off them, like they have before.

Pagano said Toler is still week to week so my guess is he doesn't play. I'd feel better about him playing if he was day to day but week to week doesn't sound very promising to see him playing Monday night.

DQ missed several tackles too. They both stunk bad.

DQ missed some tackles, which is an issue.  The issue with Freeman is he was consistently in the wrong place and left gaping holes in the D.

If he's in the right place, even if he misses a tackle, he forces the runner to do something else other than run straight ahead for a long TD and if the runner does something else that at least gives other defenders time to react and close.

I get that freeman is a coverage LB.  BUt isn't that kinda why we have Geathers now? As a nickle LB?

Once Geathers gets more experience, and so do Moore and Irving, And Toler comes back, we could have a pretty darn good overall defense.  Especially if Smith ever plays to the potential Pagano seems to think he has.

Having Vonte on Marshal, and give help over the top vrs Decker, you pretty much shut the WR's down.  Let Lowery/Geathers cover Te's, and have a lot of Irving, Moore inside to stop the run.  -because everyone knows that's what the Jets are going to do-.  

I also think we'll get to Fitzpatrick a few times.  He's not nearly as mobile as the last guy we faced.

Moore can cover TE's also, Irving not so much, But in 1st downs and 2nd and or less i'd rather him play the run and have a S play the TE

I dont think DQ is the problem. ALL the miss tackles Freeman had is the problem.

Agreed. I just watched the game again on rewind and it was Freeman that would get the lowest grade by far. His play looked like a larger version Leron Landry. Stiff, poor awareness in space, bad angles, lunging tackles, bad gap discipline, etc. etc. etc. 

Whenever we can get Jackson and Freeman replaced with Moore and Irving we'll finally have two fiery leaders at the ILB spots.  Both of them play with a lot of passion and are darn good tacklers who arrive at the ball in a bad mood.  I can't wait to send Jackson and Freeman to the bench. I think this Jets game is going to tell a lot about how soon the transition will happen.  Another thing I like about Moore and Irving is they both seem to have that Erik Walden type of hard nose mentality. They'll both fit in very well with him along with Trent Cole and Robert Mathis.  That's going to make for a really athletic line backing corps.

I think it's because Irving is coming off a serious injury, and Moore just arrived in Indy and probably is still "catching up".  I am saying the same thing though.  Heck, I think McNary would contribute more than what's going on now!  Like the coaches always say "It's a process" lol.  I look to see all 3 of those guys playing more in the next couple of weeks.  Sooner rather than later if DQ and Freeman doesn't shape up.

Im not really concerned about the DL.  Langford looks GREAT, and Anderson, will continue to impress.  David and Henry work very well together because of their chemistry.  So I believe if the ILB pull their heads out of the ground the front 7 will be okay in the end.  Of course, there is always room for improvement, but I don't think they will be losing games because of them anymore.

I am a bit concerned about our DL.  Langford and Anderson played a LOT of snaps last week.  They both looked very good, but I thought both showed a little fatigue towards the end of the game.  Kerr's play started to fade last year towards the end of the season, which I think is pretty common for rookie d-linemen who are playing their first 16 game season.

While the DL looked very solid last week, I really hope to see us be able to rotate our players more to keep Langford and Anderson fresh.  Parry also looked good, but he is also a rookie.  If we are going to succeed in the playoffs, we will need our young linemen to be fresh.  I think Anderson had >50 snaps last week -- IMO, we need that number to decline or we seriously risk burning him out by week 12.

Good thing were playing the Jets this week lol.  Marshall even said he doesn't expect V. Davis to be shadowing him on Monday Night, claiming he himself is old and washed up.  I read it on a headline in the B/R app.  Either way I don't see Jets WR & QB as immediate threats, if we at least have the best corner in the game on our side. 

Marshall had 6 catches for 62 yards and a TD (on a pretty impressive catch over Joe Haden, who is widely considered a top DB in the NFL), I wouldn't say he's washed up.  The rest of the Jets' WR's don't really scare me, though.

I fully expect Vontae to shadow Marshall and fully expect Vontae to contain him for the majority of the game.

Moore is rangy and can move around, Irving is average in coverage...

I'd play Moore and Freeman for obvious passing downs and Moore and Irving for running downs personally.

I wonder if Moore is struggling with mobility after coming off hip surgery.  As others have said, I think the coaches envision Geathers coming in to help with the pass as a hybrid linebacker.

Also, as others have said, both Moore and Irving are new to this system and coming of fairly serious injuries.  Undoubtedly, their minutes will increase as their health and familiarity with the defense increases.

I am a bit concerned about our DL. Langford and Anderson played a LOT of snaps last week. They both looked very good, but I thought both showed a little fatigue towards the end of the game. Kerr's play started to fade last year towards the end of the season, which I think is pretty common for rookie d-linemen who are playing their first 16 game season.

While the DL looked very solid last week, I really hope to see us be able to rotate our players more to keep Langford and Anderson fresh. Parry also looked good, but he is also a rookie. If we are going to succeed in the playoffs, we will need our young linemen to be fresh. I think Anderson had >50 snaps last week -- IMO, we need that number to decline or we seriously risk burning him out by week 12.

Marshall had 6 catches for 62 yards and a TD (on a pretty impressive catch over Joe Haden, who is widely considered a top DB in the NFL), I wouldn't say he's washed up. The rest of the Jets' WR's don't really scare me, though.

I fully expect Vontae to shadow Marshall and fully expect Vontae to contain him for the majority of the game.

I wonder if Moore is struggling with mobility after coming off hip surgery. As others have said, I think the coaches envision Geathers coming in to help with the pass as a hybrid linebacker.

Also, as others have said, both Moore and Irving are new to this system and coming of fairly serious injuries. Undoubtedly, their minutes will increase as their health and familiarity with the defense increases.

don't get me wrong Haden was one of the elite corners till last year when he got beat continuously and he's always struggled vs tall receivers he's only like 5'9? Around Brent grimes height.. he played Marshall good but it was a height difference that made him fail..watch the tennis DGB caught a jump ball TD over the middle on him with good coverage he's just short lol