Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton seeking a whopping 14m per year. Per B/R

12isthenew18

Let's make sure that guy Dorsett can ball before we put the cart before the horse :).

i'm not, im just saying I can see the planning and part of the reason behind it.  If the kid can produce, then great.   If we can keep TY and he turns out, then even better

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food for thought....we're 13 mil under the cap now, if we don't use that, we roll that over into next year right?  so.....that will help. Assuming, we dont sign anyone else between now and then.

I have a question - can you sign an extension for a player that includes this year at the end of the season (since you will know your injury and cap situation better then)?

Why wouldn't Grigson pay him? Seems like a no brainer whether at 13 or 14. He has been great for Indy and for Luck. Just like the Cowboys and Denver did not let their WR get away, I can't imagine Grigson doing the same ...

Hilton isn't on the same level as Dez or Demaryius.  He doesn't deserve that much money

He will absolutely get more than $8 mil per year

TY is one of the best young WR's in the game. I think he has to realize tho, like Rod Tidwell, that he isn't prototypical. He'll get a nice contract and the Colts need to do whatever they can to keep him. In the end I think he gets signed and we get him for less that 14m

Hilton isn't on the same level as Dez or Demaryius.  He doesn't deserve that much money

Not Dez but I don't think he is that far off from Demaryius. I guess we will see. But he is in great in Indy so if a player is excelling than you pay him. Kind of like what happened with Vontae. He was not great in Miami but much better with Indy so you pay him.

Not Dez but I don't think he is that far off from Demaryius. I guess we will see. But he is in great in Indy so if a player is excelling than you pay him. Kind of like what happened with Vontae. He was not great in Miami but much better with Indy so you pay him.

You can't overpay a guy just because he's doing well.  You pay him what you think he deserves.  Carelessly throwing around money is a quick way to get yourself fired as a GM.

You can't overpay a guy just because he's doing well.  You pay him what you think he deserves.  Carelessly throwing around money is a quick way to get yourself fired as a GM.

I agree but I think GMs understand when a player is a great fit for them and worth the extra dollars. For sure TY is more productive because he has a guy like Luck throwing him the ball but that is a very good thing. I guess maybe see how Dorsett pans out before making an offer.

I have a question - can you sign an extension for a player that includes this year at the end of the season (since you will know your injury and cap situation better then)?

Yes, but it has to be done before the final game of the regular season. And as far as I'm aware, it never happens. Maybe midway through the season, but not the end. It really only affects the prorated bonus, unless you're going to throw some extra bonus money on the present year or something. Doable. 

But in this case, I think the primary issue is with long term guarantees and yearly average. Despite contrary opinion, it's not a cap space issue.

He hasn't done nearly enough to get 8 mil a year let alone 14.

He is a great receiver but he is not worth breaking the bank, I hope he and his agent come to their senses this next offseason

Yeah he's getting way more then 8. 

If all he asked for was 8 Grigson would be signing that contract right now unless he asked for 100% guaranteed or something like that.

The market is pretty clearly defined. More than Wallace, probably less than Dez/DT. It's $13m/year. Anything less is somewhat a discount, anything more is a little bit of a premium. 

If he hits the open market, he'll definitely get $14m/year.

I agree but I think GMs understand when a player is a great fit for them and worth the extra dollars. For sure TY is more productive because he has a guy like Luck throwing him the ball but that is a very good thing. I guess maybe see how Dorsett pans out before making an offer.

That might be hard to do. With so many receivers and possibly a good running game someone isn't going to get a lot of touches/production. You'd think the other guys will see quite a few more snaps then Dorsett this season but it's too early to call that I suppose.

He'd probably take 12 million per to stay with us. I mean I don't know why he wouldn't. When we're talking about this much money whats the difference really. TY hadn't you rather take 12 a year to stay here than take 14 to go play with some losers. But I would bet he'd settle for 12. And we need to sign him at 12 if he will. I think Grigs's plan when he drafted Dorsett was to form to most unstoppable receiving corps in the league.

Let's make sure that guy Dorsett can ball before we put the cart before the horse :).

This is a case of T.Y.Hilton's contract being done a year before Andrew's is and if the cap does go up, the Colts ponying up $12-13 mil./year to get him locked down might look better long term. You just have to hope T.Y. doesn't go Andre Johnson or Antonio Brown on the team after signing the original extension asking for more later.

I still think the Colts get the extension done before the season ends for sure.

This may be the key, if Dorsett can ball then TY's offer goes down. If Dorsett lays an egg

then TY may get his 13/14 mil a year.

This will be a nice test for Grigson.  Hopefully they have a limit around 10 mill, anything more than that is not reasonable (Randall Cobb).  T.Y. won the lottery when he got selected by the colts to have Luck throwing him the ball.  If he wants to pull in an extra 2-4 million a year and go play for a team without a top tier QB let him.  The formula for being dominate in the NFL doesn't include mega deals for wide receivers.  How many wide receivers had monster deals that played in the super bowl last season?  Defense (which until this year Grigson has completely ignored in the draft), Offensive line, and a smashmouth running game seem to be the winning formula.  New England new exactly what we were going to do in the AFC championship game and they had the DB's (Defense) to shut it down, then they ran the ball down our throat to keep our best player off the field (Luck) with their offensive line it really didn't matter what running back they had in at the time.  If you go back and watch the Pittsburgh game or Dallas game you can see how we got destroyed in the trenches.  Every year we try and piece together an offensive line and a defense when we should be spending our money and focusing our draft picks to make those strengths.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Guys I just dont see the Colts giving him more than 8 mil a year for him.

We have the luck contract to consider and I see us just going with younger talent if he cannot sign for a reasonable amount

He is not Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson so the 14 per is out of the question

We have the luck contract to consider and I see us just going with younger talent if he cannot sign for a reasonable amount

He will definitely get more then 8 mill and he deserves it, Grigson wont low ball him

While it's true TY will get much more than Garçon, and I think he's clearly better in a vacuum, inflation also has a lot to do with that.

Which makes it pointless to bring up Garcon in the first place. 

The cap starting going up the following season, and that's when Mike Wallace got his $12m/year. 

You're wrong. The Colts will, and likely already have, offer him a deal worth much more than 8 million per year. What you "see", in this case, and reality are worlds apart.