Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Phillip Dorsett 29 [Mega Merge]

12isthenew18

Loading up on weapons is fine.  That is IMO how you beat the Patriots. When we flipped the script and won 5 out of 6 against them, we did it by acquiring and developing more weapons than they could stop.  We now have more weapons.  They now have significantly less talent in their defensive backfield.  That's a good thing.  Gun it and see if they can keep up. 

That said, the guy is a 1st rounder.  You would hope your first rounder would start out of the gate.  He projects to be a part time player over the next few years. 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are obviously limits to it.  You don't blindly take BPA; you have to consider position, holes on your roster, etc.

Luck covers up a lot, just like Peyton did

Pretty much all of that is nonsense.

I still can't wrap my head around this.  Are they expecting to not re-sign Hilton next year?

Not trying to be facetious/snarky but you do realize that Dorsett and Hilton will likely play different positions, correct?

As far as the WR corps is concerned, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett are the future.

Johnson isn't going to be around much longer. 

HA. to think I actually respected your pre-draft posts. you have embarrassed yourself in this thread several times.

he's one of the ones here with common sense and isn't just blindly following and accepting the worthless crap Grigs has given us draft after draft take away the 2012 draft and the Vontae trade and Grigs has been pretty damn bad

I am good with this. :)

My feathers were a little ruffled at first, but honestly no one on that board at 29 could effect the game more than Dorsett can. He's got a lot of value at the WR position in terms of making it impossible to double team our WRs, plus he's going to contribute all year long as a KR and PR.  We needed to get rid of Cribbs and Dorsett is a darn good replacement.  The pick of Dorsett will mean sianora to Whalen and Cribbs.  He will add real nice mix to our personnel groupings.  People have to understand Grigson is looking for Game Changers.  I'm banking if Tevin Coleman/Duke Johnson is available at #61 when we pick Grigson we will go there too, he clearly said he was looking for guys who pop on film.  I know everybody wanted something else but there's a lot of good defensive players left out there. I trust Grigs so BPA it is 

I came back because people are literally laughing at you guys for being so bad.  I hadn't been here in months, and won't eve be back because you guys have no clue what you are doing as mods... and letting the Patriot fans run wild on the forum just like they do on the team. Colts forum is an epic failure.

Ban this account please.

Cool story, bro.  Please tell me more about these rampant Patriots fans!  While you describe them, I'll gather a group and we'll grab our torches and pitchforks to run 'em all out of town!!

I have been a Colt fan since 1984 and have read the post on this forum many times to try to learn more about the game, I have never posted before. I watched this entire draft just waiting for the Colts pick. I know much less about football then most of the the fans that post on here and way less than the Colts front office. However, the only way I can see this pick being any worse is if Grigson had picked a QB. Seriously, is Dorsett going to play defense or keep Luck from getting the H knocked out of him. I'm surprised Grigson didn't trade up for a QB, I mean Luck can only play for another 12-15 years. Or who knows if we can afford Luck next year, we should get his replacement now. I'm so mad I wish I could call Irsay and ask him what in the world is Grigson doing. If the Colts don't win the Super Bowl this year then Grigson should be fired after this pick.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I disagree! You need to draft the Best Player Available at a position of need that's the only way you can built a complete team and not becoming one dimensional. At the moment we are repeating the same mistakes we made under Polian. Dorsett is a great player, Luck is awesome but if they can't get on the field because your Defense sucks you have a problem. 

I see your point. I just think the Colts FO thinks Dorsett is better value to us than the defenders left on the board. 

Grigson's first round picks:

-Luck (duh pick, anyone with half a brain knew to take Luck here)

-Trent Richardson (bust)

-Werner (bust for a first rounder)

-Dorsett (could be a great player, but we have so many holes on the roster)

Safe pick for grigs, didn't want another bust, but sacrificed the needs of the team.

Because if a guy is a future hall of fame player it's a little different than a middle of the road WR prospect

I'd also take young Joe Montana, is this a reason to draft Garret Grayson at 29?

Are you saying Dorsett will not be?

How do you know that?

The cat is well put together. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson, only this kid is as humble as Marvin Harrison. He doesn't celebrate touchdowns. Just like Harrison.

Do you not like having a WR as good as DeSean Jackson, without the baggage?

My feathers were a little ruffled at first, but honestly no one on that board at 29 could effect the game more than Dorsett can. He's got a lot of value at the WR position in terms of making it impossible to double team our WRs, plus he's going to contribute all year long as a KR and PR.  We needed to get rid of Cribbs and Dorsett is a darn good replacement.  The pick of Dorsett will mean sianora to Whalen and Cribbs.  He will add real nice mix to our personnel groupings.  People have to understand Grigson is looking for Game Changers.  I'm banking if Tevin Coleman/Duke Johnson is available at #61 when we pick Grigson we will go there too, he clearly said he was looking for guys who pop on film.  I know everybody wanted something else but there's a lot of good defensive players left out there. I trust Grigs so BPA it is 

I agree with everything you said, man. 

You and I are on the same page sir.

I don't think it's a terrible pick. The Colts are in danger of losing a bunch of weapons next season. Not to mention, if you shut down T.Y., the Colts offense struggles. To me, this looks like the Colts are going all in this season. There's a lot of talent at the WR/TE/RB position. The unfortunate part is a lot of that talent will be a year older or possibly gone next year (Gore, Johnson). I think T.Y. will get re-signed though. He's young and not even in his prime yet.

Pretty much all of that is nonsense.

You always say things like this about posts, but never actually describe why.

There have to be limits to BPA.  If our pick comes in the 2nd round the our BPA is a WR, do you take him?  What if we do, then we get to the 3rd round and the BPA is another receiver?  Do you take 3 receivers with your first three picks just because they are your BPAs?  The same way I think it would be foolish to take a QB with our first round pick, even if he is BPA, I think it's foolish to take a receiver.  One of those defensive players available would have filled a need and given us a lot of talent whereas Dorsett gives us a lot of talent, but doesn't fill a need.  You need to expect a lot from your first round picks, in my opinion.  I'm not content letting a first round pick develop, especially now that we have Super Bowl expectations.  We need immediate impact from our first round picks, which is something we haven't seen from Grigson other than Luck.

And as we saw when Peyton went down and the team went to shambles, a great QB can cover up for a lot of mistakes.  Poor OL play can be minimized when a QB like Luck can quickly read the defense and get rid of the ball.  I don't see how either of what I said is nonesense

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills.  Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense.  Sure. 

They can also accomplish this by outscoring them. 

It could also be that Grigson has his eye on a couple of defenders in the second or third, or his guy was taken already so he went BPA.

Your team is better than ours off the field and on, that's all there is too it. 

I think the strategy is to try to outscore the Patriots instead of stopping them from scoring.  Defense is too old-school.  The new age of football is to put up as many points as you can!

AHHHHHH!!!!

The 'ol swiss cheese approach. Genius. They'll never see it coming. 

You guys deserve a better forum without the ridiculous mods that are here... and the disgusting people/homophobes who are not even a part of the fans of this team, but of a certain other team. After that is fixed we can talk football. I knew you guys would all be talking about how bad Grigson is instead of discussing the pick. Terrible place. 

We are talking about the pick.  It was just a horrible one.  Not based on the player selected.  Dorsey has talent and will help us at a position where we were already ok.  Meanwhile we ignored an opportunity to help ourselves on defense where we desperately need to get better.  There were good players available on the defensive line and at safety but we draft a position that we did not even need.

It was a bad pick.  It's okay to say that. Griggs made the assinine pick so he is bearing the heat for it.  We don't have to blow sunshine up the Colts management's rear ends for everything that they do.  Fans are sick of mediocre defenses and the team's nonchalant attitude to correcting annually recurring defensive issues.

EVERYBODY RELAX!!!!!!

First of all, if Philip Dorsett was the BPA on the Colts board (which it clearly seems), I am sure Grigson got Irsay's approval to go ahead with the pick. Everyone was excited about this year's WR group before this pick with Andre, TY, Moncreif, Duron along with the two tight ends except one thing is forgotten: only TY and Andre are sure to provide legitimate top notch contributions. For all we know Moncreif can have the same season and Duron could simply burn out and all you have is a slightly better WR corp than last year and we still don't have the offense to get over the Patriots... What dorsett does is add insurance, depth, and just general infusion of talent onto our offensive roster. If Moncreif breaks out next year and Duron contributes then great, we would have done well with our WR corp but what dorsett allows us to do is think about the future....

WR Depth Chart Now:

TY - Andre - Moncreif - Dorsett - Duron 

After 1/2 years?:

TY extended - Dorsett - Moncreif - and possibly still Duron

Thats called having a WR corp for an elite QB which you don't have to worry about....

WE STILL HAVE 8 picks left!!! if we spend one of them on RB, we can literally spend the rest on the defense and have atleast a good number "hit"... Look what grigson has done with draft picks lower down in the order: 5th rounder Chapman (rotational/starter), 5th rounder Newsome (rotational/progessing pass rusher), not to mention his usage of free agents...the guy clearly knows how to draft decently late in the draft and UDFA...He and Chuck have gone on the record to state that they are looking for starters in every round of the draft, whether it be potential starters with some "headache" cases or just guys that need to develop....

Obviously we won't spend 7 picks on Defense but I'm simply putting things into context....as for people talking about Brown and the other options? well collins would have probably started but is def not worth the spot as he can't do % against the pass and brown is still not known if he can become a all downs type of guy...I don't know about y'all but i would rather take a chance on a full time starter in the NFL as a WR rather than a decent two-down guy in the trenches which can technically be found later on...Nate Orchard is one to look at as well.

I didn't want our first pick to be a Safety.

The Hurricanes did not have a great QB and they mostly liked to run the ball with Duke Johnson, but even so, just watch Dorsett's highlight reel. It's awesome.

I'm happy with this pick. Better than some run of the mill DB

How dare you actually bring football analysis in this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills.  Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense.  Sure. 

Except becoming better on defense is far more reliable than trying to outscore them when your defense can't stop their running game and they're putting up 40+ points on you

Guys you really need to just trust Grigson. I mean, the way he's absolutely killed our last couple of first round picks, I'd say he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

#InGrigsonWeTrust

#BuildTheOffensiveSkillPositionsOnly

#IfYouDisagreeYouAreJustAHater

You have me rolling with laughter tonight dude

Meanwhile, back in reality, we aren't any closer to being a SB team.

I made this same point in a rant over in the FA/Draft forum.  Dorsett doesn't make this team any better today.  .....this was an absolutely horrific pick.   ....and i'm not buying what some people are saying about possibly replacing TY....if that was the case, they should have traded TY and gotten a pick back for him. 

I can't imagine in any way how we decided this was the pick.  Disclaimers, yes Dorsett is a good player. Wasn't that the same reason we took Moncrief last year?  That was a sacrifice then and now this is too much to bear.  I'm trying to count how many guys we can even get on the field at once:

• Johnson
  • Hilton
  • Moncrief
  • Carter
  • Dorsett
  • Fleener
  • Allen
  • Whalen
  • Swoopes

Of all the positions we didn't need I would rank it as QB, WR, TE and here we pick a WR!!!!  If I hear best player on our board....Point is, how do we keep overlooking needs in order to take BPA's.  This is how you end up with three safeties, only one of which is a legit starter who's 34, but we have six WR's.  This is the beginning to more failed gameplans and talent versus the likes of New England.  Heck, you still can't get last years WR pick on the field.  Does Grigson mean to tell us that Collins (as one example) wouldn't start on this team....because Dorsett will not be a starter, but he ranked higher on "the board" I suppose? Either he or Moncrief are on the pine which means wasted critical picks.  Are we going four wide in December and sitting TE's, ugh!  If someone tells me we're planning for the future, that's insane hasn't that been the last three years?

Then just to make sure I don't get to sleep tonight the Patriots take Brown and are visibly laughing at us in the war room.  We passed on Collins, Brown, Goldman, Gregory and Kendricks for a backup wide receiver.  I'm nonplussed at best and completely irrational and totally tormented at worst.  

I'm so *.  If someone can give me a sensible reason why this was the pick I would appreciate it.  Four of our last 6 picks have been back-up wide receivers!!!!!

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills. Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense. Sure.

They don't have to scheme for those guys when they don't all fit on the field

Screw it, just have Samson Satele snap the ball to luck and his 9 WRs