Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Phillip Dorsett 29 [Mega Merge]

12isthenew18

The POINT is, we have REAL needs, WR isn't close to being one of them. BTW, Dorsett does NOT have good hands, he actually has stone hands, I've watched him for 4 years. He reminds me of that WR the Raiders reached for, he played for us for a year too. Pure speed, no hands.

NEEDS were DT, ILB, CB and OT. ALL had quality players available, if nothing else trade down to get an extra 3ed rounder..

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills. Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense. Sure.

They can also accomplish this by outscoring them.

1. Pep isn't exactly the most creative nor brightest OC in the bunch so don't get your hopes up

2. Cribbs is already gone, his one year deal was over so stop saying "replace Cribbs" (Directed to Krunk and semi you for agreeing with Krunk).

I hope this kid can play safety too we SURE left a good one one the boards... What in the world is Grigs thinking

He said he wasn't drafting players with "character issues" in the early rounds. Guess Collins is a bad guy to grigson despite him just drooling over Collins in his predraft interview the other day

:scorebad:

He said he wasn't drafting players with "character issues" in the early rounds. Guess Collins is a bad guy to grigson despite him just drooling over Collins in his predraft interview the other day

:scorebad:

I knew Collins wouldn't be drafted by the Colts the second Giggs mentioned him by name. At the 29 spot, not going to mention the player you want by name.

Some positives about last night's pick;

Dorsett has brilliant speed to stretch the field, and super soft hands. He seeks the ball, even through traffic, showing a knack for aggressive WR play. With the addition of Gore, Dorsett's acute route running and top-shelf speed could make our playaction wake up. We did have a problem stretching the field on long plays last year, unlike the previous two years of the Luck era. Much of this was due to the absence/decline of Reggie Wayne and the loss of Ballard  and Bradshaw. 

TY is still in contract talks, but I doubt we watch him walk. However, TY is a slight in size WR who's penchant for running middle routes and slants got him dinged up last year. If he were to have gotten hurt in 2015, then we'd be in trouble. With Dorsett, hopefully some of this would be mitigated if the unfortunate were to happen. 

Nobody was more sore than I for watching us pass on hot sheet defenders still on the board, I had Brown as my go-to #2 option just behind Shelton (was hoping Shelton slid past 15 and we'd move up). But with this much more offensive power, we may be able to prop up our defense by beefing up our offense, as some of us understand can be done. We already had a prolific offense last year, witnessing Luck leading the league in several categories, breaking Peyton's streak of 300 yard games etc. 

Our offense is decidedly better than last year, and that can translate into forcing other team's offenses to react in a way that favors us. Stop the run by forcing them to pass etc. 

I expect Dorsett to start at #4, and handle the return duties. This man has demonic speed, and an advantage on ST can further boost our chances. We haven't had a return threat for......um....have we ever had a return threat that actually worked? 

Horrible pick, guess we are the Chargers of the 80's with all offense and poor D; matter of fact, we were like that during Peyton Days with always a need for D. Ryan whiffed again. What do you expect? He is the one who also gave up a #1 for Trent.

I really think people are overblowing the amount of holes we had. Not a fan of the pick, but a team with soooooo many holes doesn't make the AFC title game. 

If anybody in our secondary gets hurt we are in trouble.  Safety has been a concern for this team for years.  You have the highest rated S in Collins sitting there and you select a WR which is something that has already been addressed in FA.  We could've taken the NT from Texas that NE took to try and replace Wilfork, to try and help our run defense that has been hurting us for years now, but no we took another WR.  

When you look at the drubbing that NE gave us in the AFCCG, I would say YES we have sooo many holes that need addressed before we can knock them off to reach a SB.

Imagine Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett on the field at the same time with Tom Brady. I'd rather not be facing that on top of whatever they would have coming out of the back field. I'll take them picking up Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman any day over having to face that.

Tell me, how is Luck going to have time to throw to Dorsett with no o-line and Malcolm Brown burying him for a sack?

Bad pick for the Colts. Not a need at all.

So did they think this is going to be the next Reggie?  This has to be some sort of voodoo "U" /  "Reggie" pick OR are we collecting trade bait - because other wise it makes no sense!

From what I had heard there are a dozen or so WR that are all on par with one another in this draft - we could have gotten one in a later round.   OT / DB / S aren't all on the same par - we need those roster spots, yet we pick up another WR with our first pick?     

This pick was extremely surprising!

I was flabbergasted when I turned on NFL network this morning and saw we drafted a WR in the first round.

What the heck.  

The only way this makes sense is if TY is walking next year.  And if that's the case maybe we should just trade him now, get a draft pick and use it to help our defense.

Not happy guys.

If this guy isn't at least AJ Green good then he's a waste of a first round pick.

I was flabbergasted when I turned on NFL network this morning and saw we drafted a WR in the first round.

What the heck.

The only way this makes sense is if TY is walking next year. And if that's the case maybe we should just trade him now, get a draft pick and use it to help our defense.

Not happy guys.

If this guy isn't at least AJ Green good then he's a waste of a first round pick.

only the sheep who blindly follow everything Grigson and Pagano do are happy with this stupid pick

1. Pep isn't exactly the most creative nor brightest OC in the bunch so don't get your hopes up

2. Cribbs is already gone, his one year deal was over so stop saying "replace Cribbs" (Directed to Krunk and semi you for agreeing with Krunk).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's under contract for 2015.

http://overthecap.com/player/josh-cribbs/2867/

Isn't taking the BPA always talked up as the best way to draft rather than taking someone lower on your board because they fit a need?  Well, if that's the case, then you're going to have picks like this.  Better get used to it.  If the stars line up and the BPA also fills a position of need, you're lucky.

The understanding is usually BPA that makes sense.  So we don't draft a QB because we already have one.  If you think that player is the only one worthwhile at that pick but it doesn't make sense for your team then you trade down.

only the sheep who blindly follow everything Grigson and Pagano do are happy with this stupid pick

I'm a person that tends to think you can't judge it til you see it on the field.  That having been said this guy needs to produce NOW, right away.  Like at least 800 yards his rookie year.

But yeah I'm starting to hop on the train to fire our front office staff and our coaching staff.  They act like they are more interested in helping Luck set records then winning championships.

The Packers one of the best drafting teams in the game didn't have a problem going defense at their spot.  So why didn't we?  Is this guy really that much better of a player then those guys?  

I feel sorry for the player but the fans arn't going to like him just because they know there is no chance he's going to help stop a Pats RB from ripping off 200 yards rushing.

I think some people have target fixation about run defense from the AFC champ game. The Pats is the only team to run over us roughshod and I'll give credit to the hoodie on better game plan scheming. I would have preferred somebody on defense but will wait and see.

I don't even get how this pick makes sense. Unless they're pretty much expecting to lose TY next year.

either that or they don't have faith in andre johnson staying healthy. kinda makes you wonder if the only way they got gore was to bring johnson in as well. lol. but i do agree this pick made no sense what so ever. i would have rather us taken Jake Fisher or Clemmings with our first pick. at least it would go to protecting Andrew Luck. but our bigger need is on the other side of the ball. 

I think some people have target fixation about run defense from the AFC champ game. The Pats is the only team to run over us roughshod and I'll give credit to the hoodie on better game plan scheming. I would have preferred somebody on defense but will wait and see.

Most of the other teams that didn't run all over us didn't have quarterbacks so we just singled up on the outside and loaded the box.  But we have to prepare our defense to face teams that have quarterbacks.  Especially with the slate we're facing this year.

Interesting cause he's not listed on the roster under the :colts: app. So you didn't burst my bubble at all. Simply typing what I'm seeing. Colts app under roster he's not there

They're probably too embarrassed to list him. :funny:

FWIW- for those who want someone like Landon Collins, Charlie Campbell actually has him falling to us again in the 2nd round. Granted it will be hard know there are likely to be more teams who want him ( now I can see teams such as the Redskins, the Giants and the Bears along with the Panthers, Steelers and the Eagles) it is possible he could still fall. 

I hope somehow we get him at 61 and maybe Ajayi or a lineman falls to 93- that would be a brillant day for us.

Do people really think if the Colts got a Safety or a DT that everything was all of a sudden going to be fixed? Be realistic here. The Colts still have the rest of their picks to address the defense. Dorsett could end up giving the Colts that other explosive weapon opposite TY Hilton that they have really been lacking since Luck has arrived. Johnson is merely a stop-gap for the next season or two.

The Colts have a need on defense but don't get all upset over one pick.

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills. Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense. Sure.

They can also accomplish this by outscoring them.

We never learn. This was just a silly pick. I don't care how good the kid turns out to be, it was a luxury pick. Grigson is tricking out the whip with shiny rims and gadgets in the interior when the car still doesn't even have a motor.

He doesn't really have a good feel for the pulse of the team and when BPA is appropriate. All GM's say they go BPA but few of them ever truly stick it. If Grigson truly felt this guy is that much better than everyone else still on the board at that time, we'd better see some immediate results. You don't make a luxury pick in the 1st round on a player at a position you're already stacked at unless that player has the potential to leap past all of them on the depth chart...We'll see

There are obviously limits to it. You don't blindly take BPA; you have to consider position, holes on your roster, etc.

Early on, to me, the only limit is whether the player makes the team. That rules out QB, K, P because there aren't enough roster spots. Other than that, I think you should take talent and fill holes later, particularly at spots where there will still be talent (DL, OL, S).

I can't imagine saying "ya know, we REALLY think player X is better, but we'll pass on the better player because he plays the wrong position."

From Walterfootball.com

Sources say they believe Dorsett has elite speed and will be a vertical weapon in the NFL. As a prospect, Dorsett is said to have a similar skill set to Mike Wallace, but Dorsett is more polished as a route-runner than Wallace was coming out of Ole Miss in 2009. At the Combine, Dorsett put his elite speed on display. He could be a tremendous play-maker in the NFL. WalterFootball.com knows teams that are considering Dorsett in play for their first-round pick in the middle of the first round. 

Dorsett had a tremendous pro day. His 40-yard dash there beat his great time at the Combine and fell from the mid-4.3s to the mid-4.2s. Dorsett also looked great in the field drills with his route-running and hands. Dorsett was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl as he dominated in practice. He was constantly getting separation with his elite speed and route-running. Dorsett looks like a big-play threat, but also does well in the short part of the field because of how sudden he is in and out of his breaks. 

either that or they don't have faith in andre johnson staying healthy. kinda makes you wonder if the only way they got gore was to bring johnson in as well. lol. but i do agree this pick made no sense what so ever. i would have rather us taken Jake Fisher or Clemmings with our first pick. at least it would go to protecting Andrew Luck. but our bigger need is on the other side of the ball. 

Johnson onily going be thare coupal years dorset 10 or more if good

Well the Patriots do and they won the Bowl last year... just saying...

But would the Patriots have taken Brown if they pick at #21? 31 teams passed on Brown. He may be a great defensive tackle, I have no idea. I had read reports that Brown was not a fit for our D, evidently that may be the case. The Patriots run a 4-3. 

Tell me, how is Luck going to have time to throw to Dorsett with no o-line and Malcolm Brown burying him for a sack?

Bad pick for the Colts. Not a need at all.

Yeah Right.  The Pats barely had pressure on Luck with the line we had, the only reason there was any at all was due to the receivers not being able to get open.   

I was surprised by the pick

But... to be honest.... we couldnt get anyone open against the Pats

Not TY, Not Moncrief, Not Reggie, not our TEs

This is a DIFFERENT way to beat the Pats

TY was covered up with a high / low

That ties up 2 defensive players

If we have another top end guy, that HAS to be covered in the same way, you have now

tied up 4 defensive players to cover 2 offensive players

When this happens, you can probably get some underneath routes to the TEs going.

The crossing routes from the inside WR, now may be "more" open than they were before.......

Lastly...... when you have DBs that become very focused on the pass, ...... your RUN game, may have more success.

This is a different approach from the strategy that we keep hearing about........  The FO seems to be doing everything 

different from what they say is the core message

Maybe this is why there is so much frustration on this forum

The only bad thing about this approach is we better not have to play in the slop...... with the speed guy approach...... we will

ABSOLUTELY lose...........

Again.... I am surprised by the pick.... very surprised.... but it can work.....

I'll be honest:  When we first picked him, I was furious. Not so much because I don't like him.  Heck, I think he's the 3rd best receiver in this class (Obviously behind Cooper and White.)  I feel like we're more upset about who we passed on rather than who we picked.  Here's the thing, though:  31 other teams passed on Landon Collins who I've seen go as high as top 15 in mock drafts.  Goldman, I think, wouldn't have been great value at 29.  I also don't see how we could have taken Kendricks with our 1st rounder.  The only real issue I have with it is Brown.  I feel like he would have been a better option.  Or we could have traded down for one of the defensive players we all wanted.

Here's the thing, though.  All but ONE of the players we wanted (Brown) are still available.  I wouldn't be surprised at all for us to trade up and try to snag one of them.  Let's at least see how the rest of the draft pans out before we start calling for people to lose their jobs, alright?