Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Phillip Dorsett 29 [Mega Merge]

12isthenew18

There is another way to stop them from running.  Get a lead.  Make them play catchup. 

Other options include;

Distracting our opponent with hot babes

Try to get away with dressing a grizzly bear in a Colts uniform and lining him up at NT

Flamethrower

Deflate our footballs just like my 1st round hopes

Place Icy Hot in Brady's jock strap

Tacos, because yum

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like this pick. Colts fan the days of double covering Ty is officially over. The Colts will be must watch TV this year. The way the wide receiver group looks right now on paper puts me in mind on The Rams fastest team on turf of the past. The Defense will be addressed Friday and Saturday. Malcolm Brown is not the player they need. The Colts need a fast DT, not another slow 340 NT. I see the Colts picking another RB somewhere with the remaining picks.

I think the strategy is to try to outscore the Patriots instead of stopping them from scoring. 

You may be joking, but that's exactly what has worked for us in the past. 

When did we ever slug out a win against the Patriots?  For a variety of reasons, not many teams do. 

Except becoming better on defense is far more reliable than trying to outscore them when your defense can't stop their running game and they're putting up 40+ points on you

True.  But with 8 picks left, there is plenty of defensive talent left on the board.

Part of the problem in the AFC title game is that we could not get anything going on offense because our WRs were blanketed.  Absolutely smoethered.

The defense was constantly out on the field.  Those guys got gassed.

Besides, we've already added Irving and Cole.  We get Mathis back too. 

The D did not get torched that badly in the first half of the AFC title game but when your offense keeps going 3-and-out, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense. 

Also, did you see where I said that Dorsett and Hilton will be playing different positions?  Hilton will continue to remain out wide whereas Dorsett will likely occupy the slot.  Hopefully that mollifies any of your concerns re: Hilton's tenure with the Colts.

You always say things like this about posts, but never actually describe why.

There have to be limits to BPA.  If our pick comes in the 2nd round the our BPA is a WR, do you take him?  What if we do, then we get to the 3rd round and the BPA is another receiver?  Do you take 3 receivers with your first three picks just because they are your BPAs?  The same way I think it would be foolish to take a QB with our first round pick, even if he is BPA, I think it's foolish to take a receiver.  One of those defensive players available would have filled a need and given us a lot of talent whereas Dorsett gives us a lot of talent, but doesn't fill a need.  You need to expect a lot from your first round picks, in my opinion.  I'm not content letting a first round pick develop, especially now that we have Super Bowl expectations.  We need immediate impact from our first round picks, which is something we haven't seen from Grigson other than Luck.

And as we saw when Peyton went down and the team went to shambles, a great QB can cover up for a lot of mistakes.  Poor OL play can be minimized when a QB like Luck can quickly read the defense and get rid of the ball.  I don't see how either of what I said is nonesense

You clearly have no idea how teams build their boards and what BPA actually means.  Do yourself and favor and find a podcast of anything Venturi did on 1070 The Fan this week.  

They grade players and have ranges for grades that they will take a player in a given round.  If two players have a similar grade when it your turn, you take the one who plays a position of need.  If you have a safety whose grade is say 6.5, but you have a playmaker like Dorsett rated at 7.5, they HAVE to take the player they rate significantly higher.  Otherwise all the work they did is pointless.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 1, 2015 - complaining about moderation
Hidden by Nadine, May 1, 2015 - complaining about moderation

It could also be that Grigson has his eye on a couple of defenders in the second or third, or his guy was taken already so he went BPA.

These people are a lost cause, and it makes me weep.

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills.  Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense.  Sure. 

They can also accomplish this by outscoring them. 

Heck I'd rather let the Patriots pick up Malcolm Brown, than have them pick up Phillip Dorsett to be honest.

True.  But with 8 picks left, there is plenty of defensive talent left on the board.

Part of the problem in the AFC title game is that we could not get anything going on offense because our WRs were blanketed.  Absolutely smoethered.

The D did not get torched that badly in the first half of the AFC title game but when your offense keeps going 3-and-out, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense. 

Also, did you see where I said that Dorsett and Hilton will be playing different positions?  Hilton will continue to remain out wide whereas Dorsett will likely occupy the slot.  Hopefully that mollifies any of your concerns re: Hilton's tenure with the Colts.

Preach!

You are as right as one can be.

Yeah why bother to fix problems with best players available?? I'm surprised we didn't draft a backup QB with the 29th pick. Pats sit back with the LAST pick in the draft and get the #12 ranked player and a position we needed to fill.

Mel Kiper projected Malcolm Brown in the second round a few months ago, after the season was over. But now according to Mel he is #12. Can we at least wait until the Colts have played a few games before deciding if the brilliant Mel knows what he is talking about.

I think the strategy is to try to outscore the Patriots instead of stopping them from scoring.  Defense is too old-school.  The new age of football is to put up as many points as you can!

Well, it worked for the Steelers against us...so it must always work. 

Other options include;

Distracting our opponent with hot babes

Try to get away with dressing a grizzly bear in a Colts uniform and lining him up at NT

Flamethrower

Deflate our footballs just like my 1st round hopes

Place Icy Hot in Brady's jock strap

Tacos, because yum

lmao lmao lmao I'm tearing up with laughter

How dare you for bringing football analysis into this conversation!

Agreed on all counts.

Said it several times tonight - speed kills.  Trying to scheme for Moncrief, Hilton, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, and Johnson (with Luck at the Helm) is going to be a tall task.

The Colts can beat NE by becoming better on defense.  Sure. 

They can also accomplish this by outscoring them. 

Imagine Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett on the field at the same time with Tom Brady.  I'd rather not be facing that on top of whatever they would have coming out of the back field.  I'll take them picking up Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman any day over having to face that. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 1, 2015 - complaining about moderation
Hidden by Nadine, May 1, 2015 - complaining about moderation

We are talking about the pick.  It was just a horrible one.  Not based on the player selected.  Dorsey has talent and will help us at a position where we were already ok.  Meanwhile we ignored an opportunity to help ourselves on defense where we desperately need to get better.  There were good players available on the defensive line and at safety but we draft a position that we did not even need.

It was a bad pick.  It's okay to say that. Griggs made the assinine pick so he is bearing the heat for it.  We don't have to blow sunshine up the Colts management's rear ends for everything that they do.  Fans are sick of mediocre defenses and the team's nonchalant attitude to correcting annually recurring defensive issues.

The team will need a third receiver in the future because Johnson will not be around long, and he helps as a kick returner too. It may not have been a pick the fans like... but it will pay off in the long run. It isn't about blowing smoke up anyone's rear end. You have no clue what other moves they have in mind so R-e-l-a-x.

/This forum is what is horrible, and with that I'm gone forever. 

I can't imagine in any way how we decided this was the pick.  Disclaimers, yes Dorsett is a good player. Wasn't that the same reason we took Moncrief last year?  That was a sacrifice then and now this is too much to bear.  I'm trying to count how many guys we can even get on the field at once:

• Johnson
  • Hilton
  • Moncrief
  • Carter
  • Dorsett
  • Fleener
  • Allen
  • Whalen
  • Swoopes

Of all the positions we didn't need I would rank it as QB, WR, TE and here we pick a WR!!!!  If I hear best player on our board....Point is, how do we keep overlooking needs in order to take BPA's.  This is how you end up with three safeties, only one of which is a legit starter who's 34, but we have six WR's.  This is the beginning to more failed gameplans and talent versus the likes of New England.  Heck, you still can't get last years WR pick on the field.  Does Grigson mean to tell us that Collins (as one example) wouldn't start on this team because Dorsett will not be a starter, but he ranked higher on the board? Either he or Moncrief are on the pine which means wasted critical picks.  Are we going four wide in December and sitting TE's, ugh!  If someone tells me we're planning for the future, that's insane hasn't that been the last three years?

Then just to make sure I don't get to sleep tonight the Patriots take Brown and are visibly laughing at us in the war room.  We passed on Collins, Brown, Goldman, Gregory and Kendricks for a backup wide receiver.  I'm nonplussed at best and completely irrational totally tormented at worst.  

I'm so *.  If someone can give me a sensible reason why this was the pick I would appreciate it.

Wish I could make you feel better but you're pretty spot on.  We really blew this pick.  No two ways about.  Total brain fart by our GM. 

Mel Kiper projected Malcolm Brown in the second round a few months ago, after the season was over. But now according to Mel he is #12. Can we at least wait until the Colts have played a few games before deciding if the brilliant Mel knows what he is talking about.

Mel sucks.

I'm going to ride out the remainder of the draft before making an evaluation. Get the complete evidence and study it. Pour over the angle of possible fits from existing players on the roster now and incorporate the draft into that. I think then, and only then, can you make a sound judgment before reaching a verdict of sink or swim.

In all seriousness, it's entirely possible that we'll all be very glad to have this guy on our team, in 2015 and for years to come.

But I think the major malfunction occurring on this board is that most of us are checking under our beds for LaGarrete Blount at night. 

Paraphrasing: Colts now have an elite WR corps.  Dorsett is faster than Hilton (hard to believe).

Most importantly, the Colts now have a world-class kickoff/punt returner.

Cribbs was a liability returning kicks.  He cost us dearly in the AFC title game (after almost costing us the Denver game).

Dorsett should help turn around otherwise abysmal kickoff/punt return teams.

Anyone who is worried about the "Patriots getting better, while we don't" (ridiculous). please tell me who the Pats have than can defend Luck to Hilton, Johnson, Moncrief, and Dorsett.  Pat fans should be scratching their heads about that.

There could be a big run on the talent early in the 2nd round tomorrow.  The talent we could have had today won't be there tomorrow.

Every game we've had against the Pats, they've ran all over us.  Instead of investing in one of the big, run stopping DTs available, we go offense?  How is that going to stop the Patriots' attack?

I agree.  So let's get some better talent out there.

Irving is coming off an injury and Cole is 32.  Mathis is 34 and coming off an Achilles tear.

It's not just the AFC title game.  It's been every game we've had against the Pats since 2012.

Fine by me. But if they expect to re-sign Hilton, I don't see the reason for this pick.  Not re-singing Hilton was the only justification I could see for this pick.

You clearly have no idea how teams build their boards and what BPA actually means.  Do yourself and favor and find a podcast of anything Venturi did on 1070 The Fan this week.  

They grade players and have ranges for grades that they will take a player in a given round.  If two players have a similar grade when it your turn, you take the one who plays a position of need.  If you have a safety whose grade is say 6.5, but you have a playmaker like Dorsett rated at 7.5, they HAVE to take the player they rate significantly higher.  Otherwise all the work they did is pointless.

BPA: best player available; the highest ranked player on your board.

I'm not saying Dorsett is a bad player.  He's a very talented player.  What I'm confused by is how they don't take talent + need and instead opt for just talent.  If that's the case, which it must be given the selection, then they either had Dorsett very high, or many of those defensive players very low.  I don't agree with the front office and scouts that Dorsett should be ranked significantly higher than Brown, Goldman, etc.

TY, Andre, Dorsett, Moncrief.

Fleener, Allen, Doyle.

Those are our guys, all the rest won't see the field unless they are playing special teams.

We may keep a 5th WR on the roster, and it will be up to guys like Brown, Carter and Whalen to win that last job. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 are cut by the end of training camp.

TY, Johnson, Fleener and Allen will be our "base" package.

TY, Johnson, Dorsett and Moncrief will be our passing down group, an elite "nascar" package that teams simply won't be able to defend.

Johnson, Fleener, Allen and Doyle will be our short yardage, goal-line group.

Would I have preferred a defensive player or a lineman? Hell yeah, but I can see where Dorsett means real value right away.

Josh Cribbs better pack his bags, because we got a new kick returner tonight.

False

Dr Guido isn't very good at telling jokes. 

Here's a good one;

A wide receiver and a wide receiver and a wide receiver and a wide receiver and a wide receiver and a wide receiver walk into a bar.....

no punchline......sorry

Shouldn't you be doing something more important, Ryan Grigson GM of the Indianapolis Colts? 

It's amazing how many paid shills are in this thread. Maybe that's all that Irsay has on the payroll because we sure as hell aren't paying the scouting department.

We have much greater needs than WR. Dorsett may very well end up being a great player, but we need other positions filled.

Thats what you and many people fail to understand!!! Its BPA not according to need!!! The longer you stick to hoping we're gonna draft according to need, the more you're gonna be upset. Sorry but that's just reality. And there is still 8 picks left and alot if solid defensive players still available. It's not the end.