Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Phillip Dorsett 29 [Mega Merge]

12isthenew18

Am I the only one that thinks a majority of the issues we have against NE is scheme and coaching when it comes to stopping the run. Not saying we haven't had some poor tackling, poor offensive games.....ints, 3 and outs but overall it's more X's and O's?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of the many reasons that the Colts lost to the Pats, one of the main ones was that Indy's WR's could not separate from Patriot DB's. It was a huge factor. Luck is great and will be even better in years to come but he needs guys to make plays.

The Pats DBs are gone now

Grigson said the Colts were looking for a "blue trait" and Dorsett's speed stuck out.....someone please explain to me what on Earth a "blue trait" is.  What is it with our coaches and management and their never-ending use of meaningless cliches?  A blue trait?  Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

Am I the only one that thinks a majority of the issues we have against NE is scheme and coaching when it comes to stopping the run. Not saying we haven't had some poor tackling, poor offensive games.....ints, 3 and outs but overall it's more X's and O's?

Nope.  I'm there with you.  I think Belichick has Manusky's defense figured out

Grigson said the Colts were looking for a "blue trait" and Dorsett's speed stuck out.....someone please explain to me what on Earth a "blue trait" is. What is it with our coaches and management and their never-ending use of meaningless cliches? A blue trait? Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

I guess he means blue collared? Seems more fitting of a DL, but that would be a ridiculous pick. #KendallLangford4MVP

A playmaker difference maker...hard to go wrong doing that. I can only imagine if we get a Rb in rd 2... I almost hope to see it....can't imagine the chaos lol.

Yes, but it would actually be the right move. Tevon Coleman at 61. Then one of the coverage safeties at 93. Then give up one 6th to trade up in round 4 to secure a #4 CB, get your one dimensional fat DT that everybody wants in round 5. Target ILB flyers with round 6 and 7s to back up Irving, Freeman, and DQ.

UDFA for the #5 CB.

Done.

Of the many reasons that the Colts lost to the Pats, one of the main ones was that Indy's WR's could not separate from Patriot DB's. It was a huge factor. Luck is great and will be even better in years to come but he needs guys to make plays.

That's true, but they picked up AJ in free agency and have a young receiver with a lot of potential in Moncrief. And having a running game that was a threat would have helped more than another receiver. Having said that, I really like Dorset, but I don't like the way grigson is shaping the team.

Obviously.  And I'm saying I disagree with them

Dear God....

How dare you question the powers that be. They get paid to do this, you're just an ignorant fan. They are above reproach and the last five beatdowns we've sustained from New England were by design.

Grigson said the Colts were looking for a "blue trait" and Dorsett's speed stuck out.....someone please explain to me what on Earth a "blue trait" is.  What is it with our coaches and management and their never-ending use of meaningless cliches?  A blue trait?  Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

:spit:

He's a real horseshoe guy. 

I'm in favour of a balanced approach. Sometimes, you go BPA. Sometimes, you go need. Sometimes, the two come together and you can select Malcolm Brown or Eddie Goldman. I'm not saying we go solely on need, but when need and talent line up and you take a guy that brings talent, but doesn't fill a need, it makes me question how the scouts are working. Yes, there are 8 picks left, and yes there is a lot of solid defensive talent available, but the talent of the guys we just passed up on aren't likely to be found at the end of the 2nd round and further beyond

that

Question is about those defesive guy who were there Is does or did any of them have an elite ability or talent that you just don't find very often. Something that seperates them? Because thats what Dorsett had. Elite level speed with above average catching skills and agility. And can plant his foot and run routes. And he's a tough kid who isn't afraid of contact and is a high character guy. He has a rare combination of traits

I guess he means blue collared? Seems more fitting of a DL, but that would be a ridiculous pick. #KendallLangford4MVP

I think he's using a meaningless cliche.  I don't think he means blue collared.  I think he means blue horseshoe, or as Pagano likes to say, a horseshoe guy.  Meaningless cliches that get tiresome, in my opinion.

Dear God....

How dare you question the powers that be. They get paid to do this, you're just an ignorant fan. They are above reproach and the last five beatdowns we've sustained from New England were by design.

:worthy:

Thanks for the response, I can't buy having a specialty 'set' in lieu of critical every down guys.  I get what you're saying, I think that's reserved for a team with all of it's needs filled.  Four of our last six picks have been back up wide-outs.  I just can square it against needs like ILB, Safety, DT, Edge and OT...all of which were available.  Our offense to defense draft ratio is now 75%-25% in favor of offense, so while we keep stock pilling back ups we lack starters on D....just don't get it.

Granted, I was really stoked that Malcom Brown, Landon Collins and Damarious Randall were all still on the board for us. Thought for sure we were going to select Collins there. When they announced Dorsett I screamed "wth?" (Not the letters) and I shut the TV off.

But the confusion has worn off and I see how this pick makes sense. I don't want to lose TY, but it depends on what his contract demands are. Fleener and Dwayne Allen will command nice contracts as well, and we just can't keep them all. Short term he's our slot (3rd) receiver and our returner for punts and kickoffs. Two years down the road he replaces Andre Johnson and/or covers our bases if Hilton gets offered some crazy 15M/year deal from another team. We got Dorsett for the next four or five years at a bargain basement rate. I could see us getting him involved in end-around plays and bubble screens. He is an excellent fit for our offense, and an excellent player. No one on this forum is saying he's a lousy player, just that they wanted a defender there. I wanted a defender there too, but it's not a bad pick. 

Question is about those defesive guy who were there Is does or did any of them have an elite ability or talent that you just don't find very often. Something that seperates them? Because thats what Dorsett had. Elite level speed with above average catching skills and agility. And can plant his foot and run routes. And he's a tough kid who isn't afraid of contact and is a high character guy. He has a rare combination of traits

I have nothing against Dorsett.  I'm not saying he's going to be a bust.  He's a great prospect.  But I don't see him having much of an impact as a rookie, which is something I would want from my first round pick.  The player is great, the decision to bring him to Indy is bad, and the decision to ignore so much talent that also fills a need is even worse, in my opinion

Some might even say...........blue traits.

Proof of what? I said they don't pick receivers in the first. Name the last receiver BB selected in the first round. I will wait.

It doesn't matter because you can't say what the guy would have picked.   You're only assuming based on past history, but you don't know if history will change. You're waiting because you want to be right?  Okay BOTT the Patriots probably wouldn't have, but you can't make a statement like they definitely wouldn't have because you don't know. My point was to say we got the better valued player than the ones we let go by in my opinion.  If you don't believe so then that's for you.

I think he's using a meaningless cliche. I don't think he means blue collared. I think he means blue horseshoe, or as Pagano likes to say, a horseshoe guy. Meaningless cliches that get tiresome, in my opinion.

:worthy:

Grigson and Pags using meaningless buzzwords? Never!

It doesn't matter because you can't say what the guy would have picked.   You're only assuming based on past history, but you don't know if history will change. You're waiting because you want to be right?  Okay BOTT the Patriots probably wouldn't have, but you can't make a statement like they definitely wouldn't have because you don't know. My point was to say we got the better valued player in my opinion.  If you don't believe so then that's for you.

Ok...but I never said the patriots definitely wouldn't have selected him. You were the only one making a definitive statement.

I would have rather had Damarious Randall. 

Goodness that's ridiculous. You've spent two months talking about how you think GMs should stick to BPA, and two weeks talking about how terrible Randall is. According to your own top 64, Dorsett is better. Your words: "Randall sucks." 

C'mon man.

Last year's WR core started out as

Reggie

Nicks

T.y

Moncreif

Rodgers

Whalen

Brazil

We ended with

A doubled t.y

A injured Wayne

A near useless Nicks

A learning Moncreif

A on the field of the field Whalen

A dui cut Rodgers

A suspended Brazil.

Last year people didn't like the Moncreif pick up.

This year we are looking at a

More polished but possibly to expensive t.y

A aging Andre Johnson

A up and coming unproven Moncreif

A unknown unproven carter

A rookie that clones our best receiver Dorsett.

I like the pick (trust me I didn't at first I threw my hat down in bdubs) but once I started thinking more it makes sense. People praised Grigson for doing BPA but now they want his head for taking a position they didn't see fit. All I know is there's a reason why there getting payed for there opinions and picks with near unlimited footage while we're on here as a Hobbie watching game footage and highlights on youtube.

This post of yours is not very distinguished either.  

I tried to tell you what BPA means - did you not pay attention?

As to your last line, that is pretty freaking funny.  I don't know of those guys you mention who should be rated higher and neither do you.  But very clearly the Colts had Dorsett rated SIGNIFICANTLY higher than them.  

Take a look at Kevin Bowen's latest status update:

Grigson says when they looked up at that board they were looking for a “blue trait”. Dorsett’s speed stuck out.

The way that's worded, it suggests to me that they didn't just take the highest ranked guy on the board.  They went looking for someone who stood out to them...or had a trait that stuck out to them?  I don't know what a blue trait is.  If you take BPA, you don't need to go "looking for a 'blue trait'".  That makes me think they didn't take BPA or they weren't going off of BPA, but rather looked for a guy who had a specific trait that stood out to them.  I may be reading too closely into it, but that's just how it comes across to me

Last year's WR core started out as

Reggie

Nicks

T.y

Moncreif

Rodgers

Whalen

Brazil

We ended with

A doubled t.y

A injured Wayne

A near useless Nicks

A learning Moncreif

A on the field of the field Whalen

A dui cut Rodgers

A suspended Brazil.

Last year people didn't like the Moncreif pick up.

This year we are looking at a

More polished but possibly to expensive t.y

A aging Andre Johnson

A up and coming unproven Moncreif

A unknown unproven carter

A rookie that clones our best receiver Dorsett.

I like the pick (trust me I didn't at first I threw my hat down in bdubs) but once I started thinking more it makes sense. People praised Grigson for doing BPA but now they want his head for taking a position they didn't see fit. All I know is there's a reason why there getting payed for there opinions and picks with near unlimited footage while we're on here as a Hobbie watching game footage and highlights on youtube.

Literally everyone loved the Moncried pick. And you're forgetting the other receivers we added this year.

:spit:

He's a real horseshoe guy.

They are talking about a rare trait that makes him stand out and seperates him. But more so than that with Dorsett is his combination of traits and skills that he has. The Elite speed, great hands, great elusivness and agility and can run decent routes. Plus he's a high Charachter guy and he more than willing and ready to work his butt off to improve and contribute.

The question then is, Did any if the defensive players available have rare skill, ability ir combination of the two that seperates them from any other player? The only elite level D linemen you could say was Shelton. What did Collins have that would seperate him from everyone else? The reason the Colts took this guy is his combination of ability and skills were very rare and something you just dont find too often. It seperated him from anyone else on the board.

You would think since we didn't pick a defensive player we are going too lose every game from here on out and become the next browns/oakland and have a losing dynasty all while this kids feet hasn't even touched NFL turf

Literally everyone loved the Moncried pick. And you're forgetting the other receivers we added this year.

Lol no they did not. So many were complaining since it was so "stacked" and he honestly strikes me as a camp body so that's why I didn't bother adding him to the list.

You would think since we didn't pick a defensive player we are going too lose every game from here on out and become the next browns/oakland and have a losing dynasty all while this kids feet hasn't even touched NFL turf

I don't have to wait for him to play to know he's not going to be fixing our defense

One of which doesn't have a whole lot longer left in his career and one who will have to show ALOT just to make the final roster. And Moncrief is still developing too. This isn't just about now, but the future too.

Lol no they did not. So many were complaining since it was so "stacked" and he honestly strikes me as a camp body so that's why I didn't bother adding him to the list.

Uh? I specifically remember that everyone was very pleased that we got such a steal at 90. You're flat wrong buddy.

And I didn't know Andre Johnson was a camp body, huh.

Nah, we won't be the Raiders, we'll just get stomped by the Pats in the playoffs again and not have the luxury of a high draft pick to spend on a Wide Receiver.

#RaiderPrivilege

Nah, we won't be the Raiders, we'll just get stomped by the Pats in the playoffs again and not have the luxury of a high draft pick to spend on a Wide Receiver.

#RaiderPrivilege

You're such a SJW, Peytonator.

I don't have to wait for him to play to know he's not going to be fixing our defense

If he helps the offense stay on the field and instead of going 3 and out makes big plays and keep the offensive drive running and either helps the offense score or helps them burn time giving the defense time too rest doesn't that help the defense though? The offense helps the defense and the defense helps the offense

Just for some perspective.. about this time last year some on the board were in disbelief that we drafted Mewhort when Louis Nix was still on the board.

At least G was a need.. That was a matter of a perceived reach. This is about ignoring a need for a position we already had too much of.

coach chuck always says iron sharpens iron i cant wait for the TC battles the better the talent the more they're going to push each other to be better and practicing against Vontae will also make them better, we goin be cool grigs will make some god picks day 2 to calm people down

Uh? I specifically remember that everyone was very pleased that we got such a steal at 90. You're flat wrong buddy.

And I didn't know Andre Johnson was a camp body, huh.

Read a little closer where I clearly say "a aging Andre Johnson"