Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We just missed on getting a Elite RB

Imo, if Gore didn't change his mind about signing in Philly we would have acquired Demarco Murry!

It may still work out ok if we draft one of the top backs and share the workload with Gore. I`d love if Coleman is still there for us in the 2nd rd.

Thankfully Gore changed his mind and we a avoided overpaying Murray!

i like gore better.  he wont be around as long, but im still hoping we draft one of the top 4-5 rookies.

We will draft a RB I believe.  I  think it will be to the middle/late rounds. I don't see a lot of separation between 3 and 10 I think we wait.  We need to much help on D to grab a RB that high just my thought.

Gore is really one of those different type of backs....he gets yards when there is little there. He finds small creases and gets through them....he leans forward always looking to go north and south. He is older but he has very good legs and we all knows running backs are only as good as long as their legs hold up. He kinda has that Stephen Jackson longevity to him. Do I think he is that home run franchise back..no but he should get us that 4yd avg keep us ahead of the sticks and in managable down and distance. Another thing is he is GREAT in pass protection...I mean really darn good...that ain't no little thing in this offense. I do expect us to get another back in the draft but I don't see why we would pay in the 8-10 million dollar range for a runner when we see every year several young backs come in and produce and backs on their second contracts fail to produce. Guy is rugged and doesn't miss games...takes care of his body and especially his legs....I like us to add a nice complementary back in the draft and move on from the Trent era. Can't let one mistake scare you into inaction...we had to address it and we weren't afraid to make a move....I'm proud of Grigs.

Meh... Gore is more durable.

I wonder if Murray will look as good behind the Philly O-Line, in that high speed offense... I expect him to have a good year (if he stays healthy), but not anywhere near the production from last season...

I'll take Gore for now... Not sure what Philly is paying,but I'm sure it's a good deal more than we gave to our guy.

Dallas might lose Murray. They need a running back. We have T-Rich who had trouble behind our O-line, but once past the LOS, he was hard to bring down. He was a great blocker and could catch out of the backfield. With Dallas' O-line, he may actually be decent. Any chance they would trade for him for CB Claiborne? I can dream, can't I?

Check out Gore's durability (knock on wood) vs DeMarco Murray's over the last 4 years, that is why you have to like what we paid.

However, the long term young and hungry ones might still end up coming from the draft. So, I won't dismiss the possibility of a wide out or RB that is of value in rounds 3 and beyond.

Frank Gore will do fine for what the Colts wanted which was a proven back to pair with younger backs.  I think it's pretty clear the Colts are taking a real shot at a Super Bowl next year and maybe the year after.  So they weren't looking for a long term commitment that it would have taken to get a guy like Murray.  Also, if there is any position in the league I don't want to over pay for it's a runningback.  The Colts just did that with Richardson (granted it was a different form of payment) and look how that worked out. 

Pair Gore with Boom and another young runningback in the draft and that will be a much better backfield than the Colts have had in a long time. 

Saw this today, thought it was interesting...

No @NFL Team showed more interest in @melvingordon25 today than the @colts

— NFL Draft War Room (@NFLDraftWRoom)

March 11, 2015

That is becoming more likely now with the holes filled via FA.  The 1st round should always be about getting impact players, and I don't know what positions we could draft where a rookie would have more of an (immediate) impact now than RB, and that wouldn't take PT away from someone just signed.  Gore will share PT with a rook.

I wouldn't be upset if 29 became Gordon, but I don't think he gets past Dallas.

Edit: although Bavanlan makes a good point....

Dallas might lose Murray. They need a running back. We have T-Rich who had trouble behind our O-line, but once past the LOS, he was hard to bring down. He was a great blocker and could catch out of the backfield. With Dallas' O-line, he may actually be decent. Any chance they would trade for him for CB Claiborne? I can dream, can't I?

Probably not gonna happen, but not a horrible idea, especially because it could benefit all concerned parties...

Murray is a good back, but after the carries he had last year, there are as many questions about his durability as there is about Gore's age.  But, Gore has shown an ability to be productive even in bad offenses, with no passing game.  Not a lot of flash or dash in Gore, but he's been a workhorse for 10 years.  He regularly commands 8-9 man fronts, because if you don't then you're liable to see him running all over you.  At some point Gore's not going to have the legs to do what he does, but he looked every bit the part in the last two games of last season, when the 49ers finally had most of their line back and healthy.