Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carter contract details

12isthenew18

Great contract but should we draft another WR?

I would draft one before we sign one is FA.

The way I see it... when you sign a FA you expect a certain amount of production and that goal can be missed. Get a kid in the draft and there is not much he can do but produce or bust.

So, this is essentially a "prove it, rookie" deal, with just some of Irsay's couch cushion money guaranteed. The Colts get what might have been a second or third round quality player without having to spend a pick for him.  If he lights it up in the first season or two, the Colts will probably sweeten the deal for him on a longer term contract. If he busts, then there's really nothing lost. You can bet that Daddy Cris is giving him some sound, fatherly advice to get in there and work his butt cheeks off. So the Colts get a guy with some real upside potential, the kid gets a shot at the big show, and we fans have something to talk about and push electrons around on a forum board with before the draft. It's a win all around.

This makes me re think my thinking that WR is out of the question in this draft?    Regardless, nice job Grigs...   

So, this is essentially a "prove it, rookie" deal, with just some of Irsay's couch cushion money guaranteed. The Colts get what might have been a second or third round quality player without having to spend a pick for him.  If he lights it up in the first season or two, the Colts will probably sweeten the deal for him on a longer term contract. If he busts, then there's really nothing lost. You can bet that Daddy Cris is giving him some sound, fatherly advice to get in there and work his butt cheeks off. So the Colts get a guy with some real upside potential, the kid gets a shot at the big show, and we fans have something to talk about and push electrons around on a forum board with before the draft. It's a win all around.

So, this is essentially a "prove it, rookie" deal, with just some of Irsay's couch cushion money guaranteed. The Colts get what might have been a second or third round quality player without having to spend a pick for him. If he lights it up in the first season or two, the Colts will probably sweeten the deal for him on a longer term contract. If he busts, then there's really nothing lost. You can bet that Daddy Cris is giving him some sound, fatherly advice to get in there and work his butt cheeks off. So the Colts get a guy with some real upside potential, the kid gets a shot at the big show, and we fans have something to talk about and push electrons around on a forum board with before the draft. It's a win all around.

Irsay has literally carries around more money than that with him.

Well I didn't expect him to get too much. He has the potential, but he's still a CFL guy. This is a really great signing for us though. Like somebody already said, its a zero risk deal. I love it. We still need to draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round to be safe IMO. Then the best case scenario is we have 4 starting caliber receivers.

Great contract but should we draft another WR?

Yup. This changes nothing.

Next year's WR roster: Hilton, Moncrief, Wayne, Carter, Tyler Lockette 2nd round. If Wayne is not healthy, replace him by signing Cecil Shorts.

If carter flops in camp or preseason, bring up Griff.