Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carter contract details

12isthenew18

Awesome deal for the Colts.  My only concern is if he performs well, then decides to holdout

He can't holdout. He's not eligible for a new contract until after his third year, at which point he'll be a restricted free agent. If he gets tendered, he can holdout and refuse to sign the tender. That's a concern for three years from now, and it would mean that he's still around after three seasons. 

I could be wrong,  but I think the Wake deal was done before the new CBA.

I don't think the two are an apples to apples comparison.

Perhaps Superman would know?

I don't know what the rules were for CFL contracts, or if there even were any, but under the new CBA, the general structure is predetermined. Years and total money aren't negotiable. Signing bonus is limited. Guaranteed money is negotiable to an extent. The Patriots signed Armond Armstead a couple years ago from the CFL, and guaranteed $655K (all of Year 1's salary, plus part of Year 2's salary). So we could have guaranteed $500K for Carter if we wanted/needed to, presumably. 

I don't know what the rules were for CFL contracts, or if there even were any, but under the new CBA, the general structure is predetermined. Years and total money aren't negotiable. Signing bonus is limited. Guaranteed money is negotiable to an extent. The Patriots signed Armond Armstead a couple years ago from the CFL, and guaranteed $655K (all of Year 1's salary, plus part of Year 2's salary). So we could have guaranteed $500K for Carter if we wanted/needed to, presumably.

I thought for sure Carter would get more than $25k. Either he really wanted to play for the Colts or his agent was blowing smoke about all the serious interest. Regardless, kudos to Grigs and the staff.

I thought for sure Carter would get more than $25k. Either he really wanted to play for the Colts or his agent was blowing smoke about all the serious interest. Regardless, kudos to Grigs and the staff.

Yeah, so did I. I thought we'd max out the signing bonus, at least.

After the last two years in Montreal, with how much Carter has seemed to mature, his physical stature, size, speed, genes, and huge hands, I believe he is the equivalent of getting a first to second round pick at rookie minimum salary. I know what Ochocinco said about him being a number 1 in the NFL right now (although I hope it turns out to be true)  I take his opinion with a large grain of salt. The word I trust a little more is Jim Popp, the GM of Montreal's team believes he is as good as any of the WR talent in this years draft. When I saw his salary of 435K, with a bonus of only 25K I was a bit stunned. He really must have wanted to play with Luck, and felt it was the best way to improve his stock and parlay himself into a bigger contract in 2-3 yrs. There must have been teams who offered more than the rookie minimum. I hope Carter parlays this contract into a much richer contract, i.e. number one receiver results! (I can dream :applause: ) Our own Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Calvin Johnson. I say dream big!

I was a little less surprised with Heenan's salary, but he also is the equivalent of another draft pick. A late round pick, but still he looks like he can really help us. Had a great year with the CFL champs.

Getting Carter and Heenan is equivalent to two extra draft picks. I don't know what the future holds, but it really makes our draft look good already. Looking forward to both of them playing and helping us this year.

One more thought, I would expect to see Carter used more in the Red Zone due to his size, and on a lot of bubble screens in his first year. He may have played in the CFL for two years, but the field is so much wider, he is still going to be on a learning curve. I still would expect some growing pains, but he is only 23 yrs. old. Regardless, with Cris teaching him and busting his but down in S. Florida in the off season, he could not have a better coach to teach him the route tree and the tricks of the trade.  I just think when you look at TY, Montcrief, and Carter, the potential is incredible. I like incredible upside with out the downside of paying huge bucks. TY will get his this offseason, lets hope the other two also do in time.

This makes me re think my thinking that WR is out of the question in this draft?    Regardless, nice job Grigs...   

Problem Is that a lot of teams are looking for WR in the draft.

DraftTek mock has 9 WRs going before we get to our 2nd pick at #63...and the top 3 RBs gone.

With all the talent we have at receiever, I wonder why we sprung for Duron Carter. He wasn't even that good of a receiver in college.

Puzzling

???Sarcasm???  "sprung for"??  We basically gave almost nothing for him ... Low/no risk and High reward; like an extra draft pick/UDFA that we can cut after camp if he doesn't work out. 

Problem Is that a lot of teams are looking for WR in the draft.

DraftTek mock has 9 WRs going before we get to our 2nd pick at #63...and the top 3 RBs gone.

IMO,  the two strongest positions in this draft are.....    wide receiver and running back.

It would not surprise me at all if 9 WR's are gone before our 2nd round pick (it's actually 61) and the top 3 RB's gone as well.

I think that's quite probable.

But there will still be quality players at those positions for several rounds to come....

With all the talent we have at receiever, I wonder why we sprung for Duron Carter. He wasn't even that good of a receiver in college.

Puzzling

You do realize that both Wayne and Nick's contracts are up.  There is a good chance Wayne retires and Nicks probably isn't going to be re-signed.  

All we really have at receiver is Hilton and Moncrief.

And Griff Whalen. Don't forget about him.

I have a feeling that they won't keep him around too long.  

When he is doing just fine and they go and dump him for a washed up Josh Cribbs who several times made more mistakes in one game then Whalen made all year, the writing is sort of on the wall for him.