Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB going forward

DoubleE Colt

In the last few seasons alone we have seen the need for a decent backup QB if the starter goes down. I seem to recall this being Hasselbecks last season before retirement so what do you think our plan is moving on from there? Do we go with free agency, if so who's available next year and willing to warm the bench or draft a QB who will be in a similar situation?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Moore

Dan Orlovsky (He isn't THAT bad)

Shaun Hill

Matt Hasselbeck(re-sign if he wants to come back obviously)

Are all back up QB's with some starting experience, The situation we are currently in is rare, 2 good QB's with the back up actually having started in a SB, Our back up QB situation is going to look more like it did under the Polian regime in the next year or so going forward Im sure when Matt retires, A backup with little to no experience who has seen little to no success somewhere/anywhere else. Its going to have to be about realizing that back up wont be of Lucks caliber or anywhere near it so the the coaches will need to be planning accordingly to that back ups capabilities

In the last few seasons alone we have seen the need for a decent backup QB if the starter goes down. I seem to recall this being Hasselbecks last season before retirement so what do you think our plan is moving on from there? Do we go with free agency, if so who's available next year and willing to warm the bench or draft a QB who will be in a similar situation?

They'll look for a guy who's good in the film room and on the sidelines.  That was Sorgi's forte. 

Gavin pointed out that there are plenty of experienced guys that could fit the bill.  I'm not sure what a rookie would do for us except languish on the practice squad. 

I'd only turn to free agency if one of the best backups available is out there.  Someone like Moore or Orton.  Otherwise it's a waste of money to sign a free agent.  If the Colts can't get one of the top backups on the market they should just draft a guy in like the 4th round or later.  

Hasselback has talked about coming back for another year.   Says he's really enjoyed his time in Indy as Luck's back-up.

My hunch says he's coming back.

That said,  if he doesn't,  or if we move on,  I don't think you'll see the Colts draft a QB for sometime.   That person is not going to be much of a help to Luck.   What does that rookie QB know about NFL and the defenses that Luck is facing??

If Hasselback leaves,  I think we'll go out and get another veteran back-up.    I think that makes the most sense for everyone....

Hasselback has talked about coming back for another year.   Says he's really enjoyed his time in Indy as Luck's back-up.

My hunch says he's coming back.

That said,  if he doesn't,  or if we move on,  I don't think you'll see the Colts draft a QB for sometime.   That person is not going to be much of a help to Luck.   What does that rookie QB know about NFL and the defenses that Luck is facing??

If Hasselback leaves,  I think we'll go out and get another veteran back-up.    I think that makes the most sense for everyone....

Maybe someone like Kyle Orton or Matt Moore will shake loose....at least they give you as puncher's chance if, God forbid, Luck gets hurt.

feel it doesn't matter who backups. We live and die with Luck and no Luck means no winning

I disagree - what if Luck is out a game or two and we need someone to make some plays and could be the difference in a playoff spot or seeding?  There are guys out there can care-take a few games.

I may be in the minority, but I think we need to get an extremely good backup. If the FO is going to continue to let Luck get hit like he has, then it may very well come in handy. We have been VERY fortunate that he hasn't been injured the last 3 years.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/quarterback/

Off of this list, Matt Moore would be a decent option. Mark Sanchez maybe, but I get the feeling that Philly hangs on to him.

I had problems with using this much cap space on a back up QB to begin with. The big argument was that he would help Andrew Luck's development . I don't think Luck really needs 4 million $'s of the cap to help him develop in year 4 and going forward. Those expensive backups are just a luxury and IMO only make sense if you have a dominant defense or a really sketchy starter. Odds are the back up at Indy . considering how good our defense is and how much of the offense revolves around and depends pn Luck , will mean very little in a given season. So please give me a rookie and his 500K cap hit and use that saved 3.35 mill toward a safety , CB, OL or LB.

If the Redskins don't resign Colt McCoy, he would be a perfect backup for Luck. He has shown he has improved a bit, and he deserves to be on a team where he can succeed if needed. The only downside is his arm strength, but there aren't a whole lot of great backups in the NFL. Colt could be a gem in the case of an emergency.

I had problems with using this much cap space on a back up QB to begin with. The big argument was that he would help Andrew Luck's development . I don't think Luck really needs 4 million $'s of the cap to help him develop in year 4 and going forward. Those expensive backups are just a luxury and IMO only make sense if you have a dominant defense or a really sketchy starter. Odds are the back up at Indy . considering how good our defense is and how much of the offense revolves around and depends pn Luck , will mean very little in a given season. So please give me a rookie and his 500K cap hit and use that saved 3.35 mill toward a safety , CB, OL or LB.

Well there are two strategies on this.  One is to just get someone cheap who doesn't use up too much cap space and pray Luck doesn't get hurt.  The other is to pay for a more expensive backup like Orton who can deliver you some wins.  

If Luck is out for like 2 games or something and the next two games on the list are the Jags and the Titans then a QB like Orton could win those two games where as a cheap QB might not be able to.

If the Redskins don't resign Colt McCoy, he would be a perfect backup for Luck. He has shown he has improved a bit, and he deserves to be on a team where he can succeed if needed. The only downside is his arm strength, but there aren't a whole lot of great backups in the NFL. Colt could be a gem in the case of an emergency.

Wouldn't mind McCoy but the better he does in Washington the more likely he is to either stay or go someplace where he can compete for a starting job.  That is in fact a problem with most of the better backups in the league anyways . . . very few of them want to go to places with strongly established starters, especially strongly established starters that rarely if ever get hurt.

That's why they always find their way back on the field.  They go backup some rookie who's busting and take over midway through the season or they go backup some QB who's made of glass.  

What about Jake Locker once he gets released?  At least he won't get hurt on the bench and he could refine his game working behind Luck.

The problem is I can see Locker getting hurt within 5 minutes of coming into the game if he had to take over for Luck.  Then you are stuck with Pat McAfee at QB.

In terms of playing talent I think Locker would be a really good backup as he's a borderline backup/starter anyways (in terms of ability when healthy)  Problem is he's a worse injury risk then RG3 which is a huge turnoff for me.  

Grigson already likes to deal so I say follow the Patriots' model, draft a guy late and try to turn him into a higher draft pick down the road. I'd not complain about picking up a guy like Orton either but I don't see him being satisfied with a backup with no hope of playing unless Luck gets hurt role. He already threatened retirement in Dallas with that setup.

If Sam Bradford gets cut, I'd love it if the Colts give him a look. He's pretty talented but unfortunately tore his ACL the last two years. If Luck went down for a game then I think Bradford could still get the win. If Bradford is healthy and performs well then we could potentially trade him for an additional pick at some point.