Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What I think we need to become legit Super Bowl contenders...

needanoline63

Safety for sure. But also a good LB core. Freeman is fine but he needs a better compliment.

DQ played a ton better when Freeman was out! We would be in trouble without him! He is a tackling machine. Just not to great in coverage so far!

I think we need some more pop to the running game. It's decent right now, but for a Super Bowl push I think it needs to be a bit more of a threat.  Also think we need to to make improvements stopping the running game.  I think we are pretty sound in this area over all, but the Texans game revealed some issues.  Even in the Ravens game I think if they had more attempts to run we showed some issues.  I do think we will get better with Art Jones coming back though.  I'm hoping we can get better at creating pressure with a 4 man line too. As far as the safeties are concerned it is what it is unless we make a trade or something else 

I think linebacker may be one of our top needs at this point. A bunch of solid guys, one good in JFree. We need a real difference maker there.

Yep, a 3 down guy who can do it all. That is why I mocked Bernadrick McKinney to the Colts in one of my mock drafts. Get that guy like a Patrick Willis/Navarro Bowman and your D will go to much higher levels.

We don't need anything. We're already there.

Also there is no dominant team this season like Seattle last year. Usually there is at least one or two teams that go on a rampage, but this year it's wide open. There are only a few solid teams like us, and a whole mess of teams in some form of disarray. We have just a good a shot at the SB as anyone this season.

The Colts are.....contenders.  They are getting better.  Sergio Brown made some good plays - took away the TE drag play inside the 5 yrs line to preserve the shut out.  We have another CB in Butler once he gets over his injury.  I think we are in very good shape if the team stays relatively healthy.

compared to last season the defense looks much better somehow

and the running game is improved too

those were the two reasons i was worried, if they can keep it up another cornerback or safety is just the icing on the cake

Food for thought;

The combined win/loss record we're facing for the rest of the season......30-33.

Hou, Tenn, Jax, Cle, NYG, Wash, Pitt.........Dallas and NE are the only notable teams we have to face yet. 

Home field advantage is looking pretty stout. We have absolutely zero threat coming from an inter-divisional opponent. 

I think some more consistency. The teams core players are still young for the most part. The monster is ery close to being built.

My understanding is the reference to "the Monster" was about building a great defense.

And, as great as our is right now,  if we're building it,  we're building it for the long haul.    And we're not built for the long haul right now.     We need many more pieces to build the Monster.

It's not just about today, or next week, or this season.   It's about the future as well......

My understanding is the reference to "the Monster" was about building a great defense.

And, as great as our is right now,  if we're building it,  we're building it for the long haul.    And we're not built for the long haul right now.     We need many more pieces to build the Monster.

It's not just about today, or next week, or this season.   It's about the future as well......

Mathis sure would've given this monster some dripping fangs. Shame that we lost out on him in 2014. 

Our draft next off-season will certainly be defense-centric. 

We are at least a cornerback and good safety away from being really good. I think one of those two pickups would be the last nail in the coffin

Corner. They may have the best tandem in the league and butler is among the best 3rd corner. Their corners now are why they can play the way they do now. I can get behind the safety thing but corner - no way

I think we need some more pop to the running game. It's decent right now, but for a Super Bowl push I think it needs to be a bit more of a threat.  Also think we need to to make improvements stopping the running game.  I think we are pretty sound in this area over all, but the Texans game revealed some issues.  Even in the Ravens game I think if they had more attempts to run we showed some issues.  I do think we will get better with Art Jones coming back though.  I'm hoping we can get better at creating pressure with a 4 man line too. As far as the safeties are concerned it is what it is unless we make a trade or something else 

We got the pop to the run game today, eh?  Also agree that getting Art back will add a lot to the run defense.  Man I wish we had Mathis...could you imagine our pass rush with him in the lineup?

I think linebacker may be one of our top needs at this point. A bunch of solid guys, one good in JFree. We need a real difference maker there.

I think D'Qwell is a huge improvement over what we had last year, and Walden and Werner have really improved.  Werner seems to be playing with confidence and understanding in what he is doing, I think he'll continue to improve from here on out and will be fine come playoff time.  D'Qwell has struggled a little in coverage earlier in the season, but seems to be improving and I think playing next to a healthy Freeman is a big reason for that.  When A. Jones comes back, our DL should be improved which should have a cascade effect on the LB corps.  If we can continue to score first and put points on the board, it will greatly benefit our LBs as well, giving them more freedom for passrush packages.  We may address this in the offseason, but I think we are OK here for now.

Only weakness IMO is a sure-thing pass rusher on the defense.

Defense, yard-age defense, 3rd down defense has been way better this year than last. Same with offensive line and balanced play among RBs, TEs, and WRs.

Best P/K combo in the league.

I was really happy to see Newsome today, I think he's got potential to be used a lot more in blitz packages as the season goes on.  Again, if we can continue to develop a lead, it will be way easier for our guys to get after the QB.  If our DB's continue to play well, especially when Butler comes back, it will also go a long way in giving our pass rushers a few extra seconds to get to the QB -- so here's to hoping we don't see any injuries to Vontae or Toler.

Would like to see Hakeem and/or Montcrief become more of a factor in the games. Don't like having to rely on only TY and Reggie.

Luck targeted 9 WR's today (8 got receptions, Nicks didn't catch the ball thrown his way).  I think since week 3 we have had 8 or 9 guys catch the ball every week, which is very good.  It would be nice to see Nicks or Moncrief emerge as threats (I got the feel today that Moncrief is going to slowly start playing in Nicks' place), but as long as our TEs and RBs are doing a good job catching the ball, I think our offense will continue to be efficient.  I have a weird feeling that there are some wrinkles we've got in the offense that we haven't shown yet, I might be wrong but I just have a feeling that they have a few things in there to play to Moncrief's size/speed that they may be keeping in the back pocket for right now.  If we keep winning how we're winning, it will be nice because it will allow us to slowly work Moncrief into the mix and allow us to keep any tricks we have up our sleeve for the time being.

Corner. They may have the best tandem in the league and butler is among the best 3rd corner. Their corners now are why they can play the way they do now. I can get behind the safety thing but corner - no way

Agreed! I think Vontae is top 3 and Toler has been playing very well.  Getting Butler back will be very good for this D, but I've been happy with Gordy and other's play in Butler's absence.  That big play to Sanu today, Toler had very good coverage on him, Sanu just made a very good play.  What has really been impressive to me is that our DB's are hitting WR's as soon as they are catching the ball now if they do catch the ball and there has been very little room for opposing WRs to make any big plays after the catch.

We've been Super Bowl contenders from the beginning of the season, and will be for years to come.  The difference between contenders and Champions is consistency!  We have the pieces to the puzzle just need to keep them in place, and minimize turnovers.

Yes, come playoff time we can't beat ourselves.  The good thing about today's win is that we made mistakes and still won, but all our mistakes seemed correctable (a few penalties and a few fumbles).  If we play to our potential and avoid shooting ourselves in the foot we should have a very serious shot at contending for the SB.

A cornerback away?  Huh?

Davis-Toler-Butler are as good as your going to get for a top 3.  Gordy at #4.....I guess we could stand to improve on him a bit.  He's fine as a player though, and certainly is not preventing us from being a Super Bowl contender by being our #4 cornerback.

Cornerback.....what a bizarre position to cite as a weakness.

The offense, while by all statistical measure has been terrific is still making too many mistakes and leaving too many points on the field. Also who ever decided that it was a good idea to leave Reggie in when he was obviously hurt needs to be severely reprimanded. 

Reggie has a streak he wanted to see continue. I guarantee that call was Reggie's.