Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we draft a new GM?

What does everyone think about Grigson choosing to select BACK UPS with our first overall picks the last two years? Werner and Mewhort... Even if he is decent at guard who says he is going to start over Thornton and Thomas who both have experience?

Don't all or at least the vast majority of rookies have to compete against guys that have experience ?

What does everyone think about Grigson choosing to select BACK UPS with our first overall picks the last two years? Werner and Mewhort... Even if he is decent at guard who says he is going to start over Thornton and Thomas who both have experience?

Since you have already named them "backups" and capitalized it, I'll guess you weren't really interested what anyone thinks...you just wanted to complain.

The fact is you are a pretty good team if you are drafting depth. I said this at the beginning of the draft what spot is a Rookie taking of the 22 starters. All the starters may not be decided but they are on the roster. That isn't a bad thing.

I wish the O LIne was  stronger or at least we had more answers but it will be hard to break into our top 22 if everyone is healthy especially without a 1st round pick.

Yes but is he gonna start? Did we just use our first pick on a back up? And a 6.6" center ??

He can play center.   It's not that he will.   Mewhort can play center as a back-up.    He'll likely play LG to start.    Thomas is likely still hurt and not healing well.   Grigson did not want to be caught off guard if Thomas can't go from week one.

Moncrief was too good not to take at pick 90.

With Wayne aging, coming off a serious injury and playing in the last year of his contract, plus Hicks on a one year deal and his injury history,  taking a very good WR from this very good class of WR's is what smart GM's do.

I don't know why anyone thinks he'll just be a back up center if he plays there. The way I see it is that he was drafted 2 rounds higher than Holmes, and Holmes has hardly anymore NFL experience. I have no clue where we plan to play Mewhort, but I think he'll really help push the competition with our o-line, and we really need to catch a break and have o-line player who steps up and actually makes an impact. This was a great o-line depth move, IMO.

I am sorry I don't buy into this comment. Drafting a serious need on the offensive line is not a bad pick. Most all the press feel that Mewhort is a starter and has the talent to play 3 positions. He has the size and the motor so I say BINGO!  Pick #2 is a pick that will work itself out. Moncrief  will become Waynes apparent successor. Everyone knows it takes a rookie WR a while to get into the difference between collage to the pros. No one really knows if Wayne will play the same as before no matter what he says. With Waynes age this was a smart pick. Hicks hasn't proved he can stay on the field yet and is only on a one years contract. If he does do well this season who is to say the Colts can afford or want to pay him a huge contract to keep him. TY Hilton was picked 2 positions later than this guy so writing him off is being narrow minded.

Yea this thread is stupid.  If you didn't realize anything from last season, our interior OL was really bad.  More depth the better.  Mewhort is probably going to start and reitz is probably going to be backup.  You can never have too many good OL.  Moncrief is pretty much a steal in the 3rd round. He has a tremendous up side with speed, size and length.  

Wayne is coming off an injury and is getting up there in age. Nicks is a one year deal.  We are looking for the future.  

Werner is coming up and we'll see how he works out.  A breakout season could be coming

Yea we still have needs on defense with limited picks, but you never know.  There could be hidden talent in the later rounds.

Grigson in 2012 - Luck, Allen, Hilton, Brazil, Fleener, Ballard = Pretty good if you ask me, all starters

Gotta stop all the hating.

Ok, let's break these two picks down even more, since we have nothing to talk about until tomorrow.

Mewhort- can play all five positions on the offensive line, this is super valuable. Mewhort is a solid offensive lineman, even as a 6th if Thomas is healthy. Think of Mewhort as a much much better version of Linkenbach (Diversity in skillwise). 

Moncrief- Uh... 1st/2nd round talent at 90th overall? Why not? He was a stud in college, and a top 8 WR on the draft boards. He's not a Sammy Watkins or a Mike Evans, but he's got the bruising features as a solid #2. Even if the Colts don't use him this year, he is insurance against the loss of Wayne AND Nicks next year. If Nicks doesn't pan out, and Wayne retires- You will be thanking the heavens that we had Moncrief to get familiar with the system. Besides, a WR Corps of Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers and Brazill doesn't look awful to me.

It wasn't a safety, and it wasn't defense- I understand why a lot of people are crying about it. We did just sign two stud defenders in free agency, in Arthur Jones and D'Qwell Jackson- and that gave us the ability to just draft the best talent available- which Moncrief's value was much higher than that of the DBs and Safeties in the draft at 90.

It will be fine. Grigson hasn't led us astray yet.

Although I feel we could have drafted a better o-liner than Mewhort, he is versatile, provides solid depth on the line and has starter potential. We are set at tackles but he could potentially compete for a spot inside with Thomas, Thornton and maybe Nixon.

At the end of the day, we were a bit light with regards to depth on the line. Our line has improved over last season. Holmes looked good in his limited snaps as a 6th lineman. It remains to be seen how he can do as a center in a power scheme but the coaching and FO seem to have faith.

As for Moncrief, he is a guy I have wanted since before last years draft. He has athleticism in heaps and has true number 1 potential. Say what you want about the reciever corps we had, we just got better after pick 90. He is essentially a lump of clay that can be molded into a top reciever. Not to mention he was a STEAL in the late 3rd.

I. Am. Satisfied.

What does everyone think about Grigson choosing to select BACK UPS with our first overall picks the last two years? Werner and Mewhort... Even if he is decent at guard who says he is going to start over Thornton and Thomas who both have experiene

Moncrief was drafted to be our future number 1 receiver,he had first round potential, he has everything you need to be a pro bowl receiver, Reggie is probably only playing one more year Moncrief can learn from Reggie, Hilton, and Nicks. Hilton is better in the slot, in the future Nicks and Moncrief can play on the outside while Hilton plays slot, now that's a three headed monster. Mewhort was not drafted to be a back up, he was drafted to be a starter its not like we have the best offence line and he can play almost all positions on the line, he was a captain so he is a leader. 

What. I'm always critical of Ryan but this is a fantastic draft so far. He got 2 very good players who were among the highest rated at their position. Everyone was saying the O-Line could be upgraded and we did that. We aren't sure what we'll get from Wayne and Nicks, so Moncrief was a steal for where we got them. It wasn't the biggest need but Grigson didn't reach for need. I have no complaints.

I don't think we need a new GM yet, Grigson needs to just stop reaching for players. Hopefully the players we draft have a big impact on the team but if not, then i'll start to believe that the 2012 draft class was all Telesco. The Chargers had one of the best drafts last year and got some really good talent in this draft. Only time will tell, after this season will know if it was all Telesco in 2012 or not.

I'm happy with getting a guard in the 2nd.  Both our guards right now are question mark's Thomas's injury was pretty bad and apparently he's still not fully recovered.  Thornton could improve this year but he didn't exactly impress last year.

Unless Moncrief turns out to be an absolute steal I personally think we could have gotten better value elsewhere.  I think we should have gone CB at that pick.  Then when you get the guy into camp you can either convert him to safety or back up Toler.

Jack Mewhort is a lot better than some of us are giving him credit for. Chris Simms said he thinks Mewhort is a better prospect than Taylor Lewan. He's probably going to start at guard immediately and he may move out to right tackle in the future.

Donte Moncrief has future #1 receiver potential. And is much more likely to become one than Rogers.

The only real mistake imo was trading our #1 pick for T-Rich. Given that we've already done that, I think Grigs has drafted really well this year.

Wow...........who would you have picked Mr Armchair GM?

Ok, let's break these two picks down even more, since we have nothing to talk about until tomorrow.

Mewhort- can play all five positions on the offensive line, this is super valuable. Mewhort is a solid offensive lineman, even as a 6th if Thomas is healthy. Think of Mewhort as a much much better version of Linkenbach (Diversity in skillwise). 

Moncrief- Uh... 1st/2nd round talent at 90th overall? Why not? He was a stud in college, and a top 8 WR on the draft boards. He's not a Sammy Watkins or a Mike Evans, but he's got the bruising features as a solid #2. Even if the Colts don't use him this year, he is insurance against the loss of Wayne AND Nicks next year. If Nicks doesn't pan out, and Wayne retires- You will be thanking the heavens that we had Moncrief to get familiar with the system. Besides, a WR Corps of Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers and Brazill doesn't look awful to me.

It wasn't a safety, and it wasn't defense- I understand why a lot of people are crying about it. We did just sign two stud defenders in free agency, in Arthur Jones and D'Qwell Jackson- and that gave us the ability to just draft the best talent available- which Moncrief's value was much higher than that of the DBs and Safeties in the draft at 90.

It will be fine. Grigson hasn't led us astray yet.

Even though Mewhort played LT for OSU, he cannot play LT in the NFL. I watched film of Mewhort last night. Speed rushers make him look foolish. He is not at all quick. I believe he will be relegated to guard. Even RT will be a stretch for him.

You are stupid Grigson has drafted good look at Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Ballard, and brought over Freeman which is compared to Ray Lewis. He makes good trades Richardson was the colts 1st round pick this year he just didn't know the playbook. He makes many trades, brought in pagano and Arians so tell me he should be fired. You don't know their picks are good the OT can play guard, and the receiver is looking to be a replacement for Wayne, all of the experts are saying good picks. And also you are not a professional in football

You are stupid Grigson has drafted good look at Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Ballard, and brought over Freeman which is compared to Ray Lewis. He makes good trades Richardson was the colts 1st round pick this year he just didn't know the playbook. He makes many trades, brought in pagano and Arians so tell me he should be fired. You don't know their picks are good the OT can play guard, and the receiver is looking to be a replacement for Wayne, all of the experts are saying good picks. And also you are not a professional in football

I am still making up my mind on Mewhort...but people need to stop crediting Grigson with choosing Luck; that was an obvious give me that 99% of people who watch football would have made.

And who could we have drafted that would have started? Mewhort will compete for a spot, but will have an uphill battle, and any safety would have to compete for a spot with Howell, but would have an uphill battle. Also, Donte Moncrief will be a beast, not sure how you can dislike that pick.

Even though Mewhort played LT for OSU, he cannot play LT in the NFL. I watched film of Mewhort last night. Speed rushers make him look foolish. He is not at all quick. I believe he will be relegated to guard. Even RT will be a stretch for him.

The same knock on Costanzo. He's not a prototypical LT, but with decent coaching I think he could be serviceable. Honestly, he could end up being our LT next year if Costanzo prices himself off the team and their options in the draft next year become limited. Mewhort is a HUGE upgrade to what Link was.

I don't think we need a new GM yet, Grigson needs to just stop reaching for players. Hopefully the players we draft have a big impact on the team but if not, then i'll start to believe that the 2012 draft class was all Telesco. The Chargers had one of the best drafts last year and got some really good talent in this draft. Only time will tell, after this season will know if it was all Telesco in 2012 or not.

Who did he reach for? Moncrief in the 3rd isn't a reach, and Mewhort very easily could have gone later in the 2nd or early 3rd round. 

Guys......back off on the OP. The 59th pick in the draft should be a perennial All Pro starting day 1. It is amazing how undervalued a 3rd team All-American with that type of versatility is. We actually just upgraded Costa. People seem to forget we are 1 injury away from being thin at OL.

Although I feel we could have drafted a better o-liner than Mewhort, he is versatile, provides solid depth on the line and has starter potential. We are set at tackles but he could potentially compete for a spot inside with Thomas, Thornton and maybe Nixon.

At the end of the day, we were a bit light with regards to depth on the line. Our line has improved over last season. Holmes looked good in his limited snaps as a 6th lineman. It remains to be seen how he can do as a center in a power scheme but the coaching and FO seem to have faith.

As for Moncrief, he is a guy I have wanted since before last years draft. He has athleticism in heaps and has true number 1 potential. Say what you want about the reciever corps we had, we just got better after pick 90. He is essentially a lump of clay that can be molded into a top reciever. Not to mention he was a STEAL in the late 3rd.

I. Am. Satisfied.

I like the versatility, but I really want Mewhort to come in and solidify that LG spot