Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we draft a new GM?

I am actually pleased with the draft thus far.

If Luck gets hurt, we are done. I did not like the interior of our line, enter Mewhort.

Donte Moncrief was a steal at #90. I actually feel that he compares favorably to Hakeem Nicks. Nothing wrong with learning the position for a year from two great WRs. We have tremendous depth at WR.

We can get a safety in the 5th or 6th round that is more than capable.

Mewhort looks like someone who can play several positions on the O-line, so I'm okay with that pick, even if I had hoped for something else before the draft.

Moncrief might be a good WR prospect, but I'm still not a fan of that pick.

Newsome.. I don't know much about him.

Overall, it's not really a draft that gets me very excited

It's obvious our scouting department isn't good, i think Tom Telesco was a huge reason for the 2012 draft class. The Chargers hit home runs last year. This year they got Attaochu who had the most upside of any OLB after Mack. This draft looks like it could be like last years with the exception of Moncrief who will be 4th on depth chart. If our draft picks don't produce and players like Brooks and Nix become good, then i think it's time to look for a new GM.

This is the first time I've questioned Grigson. This draft just doesn't make sense.. I'm seriously worried about our secondary.

It's obvious our scouting department isn't good, i think Tom Telesco was a huge reason for the 2012 draft class. The Chargers hit home runs last year. This year they got Attaochu who had the most upside of any OLB after Mack. This draft looks like it could be like last years with the exception of Moncrief who will be 4th on depth chart. If our draft picks don't produce and players like Brooks and Nix become good, then i think it's time to look for a new GM.

And if nix and Brooks wind up being nothing special while mewhort becomes an all pro?

(sigh). Why do we have to fill our forums with this garbage. I vote for a rule eliminating " new GM " or " fire chuck " threads.Because everyone is

Because everyone has a right to their own opinion.   :)      That's what a forum is for. :yes:

This is the first time I've questioned Grigson. This draft just doesn't make sense.. I'm seriously worried about our secondary.

This. That secondary is our weak spot. I can't believe we didn't address either CB or S. Sure Howell was serviceable last year but he still needs competition at the very least. He's not proven so don't draft as if he is. Then our CB position, ugh...if Toler gets hurt again, it will be ugly. We better go hard after some of the safeties/corners that aren't getting drafted.

this is laughable cant we let a guy get on the field before we start thinking the world is imploding. jeez hes a day one starter and a leader

If he's a day one starter than means Grig screwed up on FA last year OR our third round pick lol...

APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE for the thread, but you need to look at this draft and last years... Werner, Thorton, Holmes, first 3 and CB price and S from Oregon who got kicked off the team before we could even cheer for him... Anyone catching my drift???

We got a great versatile T with our first pick, but we NEEDED a Center and Safety... And probably CB... We didn't get any of those the entire draft... THINK ABOUT IT... What if injury prone Toler or Landry get hurt?? UH OHHHHHHHHHH!!!

You are stupid Grigson has drafted good look at Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Ballard, and brought over Freeman which is compared to Ray Lewis. He makes good trades Richardson was the colts 1st round pick this year he just didn't know the playbook. He makes many trades, brought in pagano and Arians so tell me he should be fired. You don't know their picks are good the OT can play guard, and the receiver is looking to be a replacement for Wayne, all of the experts are saying good picks. And also you are not a professional in football

luck was going to be the #1 pick no matter what gm had the pick. hilton was a terific pick, fleener and ballard were ok. did you conveniently forget about last years draft? comparing freeman to ray lewis is just stupid! you like the tr trade, i didn't from the start. as of now, i like my position. saying an unproven late 3rd round pick is the replacement for wayne is borderline crazy. every year the "experts" say good things about every player and most don't make teams, let alone start.

If he's a day one starter than means Grig screwed up on FA last year OR our third round pick lol...

APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE for the thread, but you need to look at this draft and last years... Werner, Thorton, Holmes, first 3 and CB price and S from Oregon who got kicked off the team before we could even cheer for him... Anyone catching my drift???

We got a great versatile T with our first pick, but we NEEDED a Center and Safety... And probably CB... We didn't get any of those the entire draft... THINK ABOUT IT... What if injury prone Toler or Landry get hurt?? UH OHHHHHHHHHH!!!

their the ones that studied and watched the film they know what there doing just like girgs said you cant just draft a guy because of need you have to like them to

And if nix and Brooks wind up being nothing special while mewhort becomes an all pro?

Yeah I think Nix was way overhyped and Brooks to around here......But Mewhort becoming an all pro is a huge stretch, He lacks the athleticism to get to moving targets at the second level and while a solid pass blocker he is no mauler in the run game....Doesn't have a great hand punch and is a bit thin in the lower body......Jackson looked to be the clear better choice to me though I think Mewhort is very good depth with some potential

Yeah I think Nix was way overhyped and Brooks to around here......But Mewhort becoming an all pro is a huge stretch, He lacks the athleticism to get to moving targets at the second level and while a solid pass blocker he is no mauler in the run game....Doesn't have a great hand punch and is a bit thin in the lower body......Jackson looked to be the clear better choice to me though I think Mewhort is very good depth with some potential

Funny....   but his reviews say he's a better run blocker than pass blocker.

And Grigs/Pagano talked about his run blocking too....

The difference between Mewhort and Jackson is that Jackson is a guard -- period.   And Mewhort can play most any place on the line including guard.    Someday, Mewhort is going to start.   He wasn't taken with the 59th pick to be a long-term back-up.   Eventually, he starts -- maybe not this year, or even next,  but he will start soon enough.

Funny....   but his reviews say he's a better run blocker than pass blocker.

And Grigs/Pagano talked about his run blocking too....

The difference between Mewhort and Jackson is that Jackson is a guard -- period.   And Mewhort can play most any place on the line including guard.    Someday, Mewhort is going to start.   He wasn't taken with the 59th pick to be a long-term back-up.   Eventually, he starts -- maybe not this year, or even next,  but he will start soon enough.

I know, I believe he seals of running lanes well but I think he has to get stronger in the lower bod to handle bigger D Linemen, He does flash a nasty streak and at times he was able to dominate smaller D Lineman, Based on all that and Mewhorts ability to play all 5 spots he was a solid choice, He is a tough kid, There is plenty to like about hi, And believe me I do like him

What is wrong about back up!? The draft is about building your team!! The Colts are drafting starters of the future and I'm okay with that! Some good depth players which they need right now

I agree with about drafting for the future, I do not like drafting them high when we have positions that need better players.

I agree with about drafting for the future, I do not like drafting them high when we have positions that need better players.

This, this and this. I have no problem with drafting for the future but when there are big holes that need to be filled, I don't want our GM to just blatantly ignore it. 

So we don't pick up a safety or #2 corner in FA so we think we must be targetting them in draft. But nope, we go draft a ton of future players that will be depth for the time being. If Landry or Toler gets hurt again...man that secondary will be one of the worst in the league. I would bet that we were the only team in the NFL draft to not take a single secondary player. There was so much talent in this draft at CB/S and we never addressed it.

But of course the Grigson fanboys will say "He just didn't like any of the ones available". Well if all he was considering was Jimmie Ward, PRyor, and Ha-ha, he's out of his mind because we weren't going to get one w/o the first round pick that he wasted as well.

I usually defend Grigson but these past 2 drafts have made me very weary of his and our scouting team's ability. To just ignore the holes on our roster is ignorant. 

NFL scouts and personnel people have resources no one here has available to them. Why does a fan believe he has a better grasp on who is best suited to improve a football team?

because they looked at Mayock's draft board  ;)

people seem to think our GM is stupid for not picking the guy they heard analysts and media talking about.  What they fail to realize is analysts and media people are the guys who weren't good enough to coach/GM or have already had their shot and got fired.

Mel Kiper gaves us a D grade so OBVIOUSLY Grigson should be fired.....  

Over the years the Colts have drafted many players in the 1st round that started as back-ups:

Reggie Wayne was a back up his 1st two years in the league.

Dallas Clark backed up Pollard

Addai was a back-up to Rhodes

Freeney was a back-up to Bratzke

Marlin Jackson was a back-up to Harper

Hughes backed up Freeney/Mathis

Brown backed up Addai

Gonzo backed up Harrison/Wayne

And that's just the first rounders, there are even more examples if you look at the 2nd round.  And a lot of winning teams do it.  That is why it's called building your team through the draft not building your immediate starters through the draft.

I don't mind if people complain about things, I do my fair share of it as well, but at least complain about something legitimate that requires some thought not just little sound byte items that have no basis in reality.

the mewhort comment was merely a hypothetical...not a prediction ;)

.  What they fail to realize is analysts and media people are the guys who weren't good enough to coach/GM or have already had their shot and got fired.

I think the bigger issue is that fans have no idea what a team sees in a particular player. Some teams draft a player because he has a certain skill which can benefit the team in certain game situations. That skill may not be clearly evident to the average fan.

What does everyone think about Grigson choosing to select BACK UPS with our first overall picks the last two years? Werner and Mewhort... Even if he is decent at guard who says he is going to start over Thornton and Thomas who both have experience?

I think it means we have a pretty good first 22

Over the years the Colts have drafted many players in the 1st round that started as back-ups:

Reggie Wayne was a back up his 1st two years in the league.

Dallas Clark backed up Pollard

Addai was a back-up to Rhodes

Freeney was a back-up to Bratzke

Marlin Jackson was a back-up to Harper

Hughes backed up Freeney/Mathis

Brown backed up Addai

Gonzo backed up Harrison/Wayne

And that's just the first rounders, there are even more examples if you look at the 2nd round.  And a lot of winning teams do it.  That is why it's called building your team through the draft not building your immediate starters through the draft.

I don't mind if people complain about things, I do my fair share of it as well, but at least complain about something legitimate that requires some thought not just little sound byte items that have no basis in reality.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.       The above.      Heckuva post.       Glad someone who has been a long time Colts fan was able to spell it out so well.

Hope lots of Colts fans will come by and read it.         Then read it again.

Seriously good post!     :thmup:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.       The above.      Heckuva post.       Glad someone who has been a long time Colts fan was able to spell it out so well.

Hope lots of Colts fans will come by and read it.         Then read it again.

Seriously good post!     :thmup:

I was going to respond but why waste the time some people don't get it Moncrief is 6'2 221 runs 4.3 forty lets talk in 2yrs or maybe week 8